Canada Federal Representation 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 06:47:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Federal Representation 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35
Author Topic: Canada Federal Representation 2024  (Read 51825 times)
toaster
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: February 11, 2023, 04:16:55 PM »

It's a little sneaky though? Not saying anything about adding exceptional/extraordinary circumstance ridings until only after the process where the public can provide feedback on that?  Had I known this was going to be a possibility, I surely would have attended a hearing and objected.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #701 on: February 11, 2023, 05:01:17 PM »

It's a little sneaky though? Not saying anything about adding exceptional/extraordinary circumstance ridings until only after the process where the public can provide feedback on that?  Had I known this was going to be a possibility, I surely would have attended a hearing and objected.

It's a problem with how the system works. Changes appear in the report that were not in the original proposal. It's better to see some big problem in the proposal since it gives time to fight it. I don't how the process could be improved. Going with a second round of public hearings for never before disclosed  changes would be too cumbersome and never end. I don't know if the commission could decide to have a hearing for a specific subregion if there is a big outcry.

Maybe in a second of consultation accept comments by local and regional authorities only. It's strange, when I listened to House MPs objection, I heard question asked if a community spoke up, send comments and the MP said no because the proposal was status quo so there was no objection but apparently some expect people to write they are fine with the proposal even if there is no change.

I heard the House committee chair tell MPs documents they produce at the committee like maps are included in the report sent to the provincial commission. Maybe there is an indirect possibility to give feedback to the commission even if the public hearing period is done. You find an MP that will present objection to the House committee and send this MP a letter with your objection/ comment. The MP puts the letter to show backup from people in support of the objection raised in the presentation to the committee. If it is filed at the committee it could be included in the report sent to the commission. Maybe this could work. I don't know if sending a comment to the emai or address of the commission wil result in a reply Sorry but the period for public comment has passed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #702 on: February 13, 2023, 11:00:31 AM »

The commission could also propose several different maps at first, and people can debate the pros and cons of each one, and the commission can then use the debate to draft the ideal map. That way there would likely be no surprises in the report, as every possibility would be discussed.
Krago
« Reply #703 on: February 13, 2023, 10:11:30 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2023, 10:15:07 PM by Krago »

I’ve had a chance to thoroughly review the final report of the Ontario Commission, and I’m very impressed by the excellent job they have done.  This is despite (and more likely, because of) ignoring all my recommended boundaries.

The Commission made a real effort to listen to all the submissions they received, and fulfill the requests to the greatest extent possible.  The most controversial boundary they chose was to add northern Brant County to the adjoining part of Hamilton, which is what I suggested!  Instead of trying to fit every (Southern Ontario) riding within a +/-10% population window, they were willing to go beyond that to make everybody happy.  Even though Essex/Kent/Lambton counties have seen their representation get shortchanged, I doubt if anyone is complaining about it.

Here are a few areas where the Commission should double-check their work.

•   There are only a handful of people who live in the Algonquin Park portion of Nipissing—Timiskaming.  However, they are much more accessible from Huntsville than from North Bay.

•   I don’t understand why they let Stittsville remain divided between two seats when they could have just followed the existing federal boundary in the area and kept Stittsville together.

•   I don’t know enough about the west end of Ottawa to understand if Golden Ave is the western limit of Westboro neighbourhood, but that jog around Berkley Ave, Tay St, and Dominion Ave seems rather odd to me.

•   Having the residents living on the south side of Innes Ave, from Hwy 417 to Navan Rd, vote in Prescott—Russell—Cumberland seems wrong.  In fact, why don’t they dip the Ottawa—Vanier—Gloucester boundary south to the trail link (former railway line) and follow the current Orleans boundary to put Mer Bleue in Carleton riding?

•   Skipping all the way down to Toronto, I’m certain Jill Andrews is not happy about removing the area south of Vaughan Rd and west of Winona Dr from her riding.

•   Castle Frank Cres should be in the same seat as Rosedale.  Using Rosedale Valley Rd from Sherbourne St to the Don River makes more sense.

•   The Commission used Atlantic Ave as the eastern boundary of Taiaiako’n—Parkdale—High Park to keep all of ‘Little Tibet’ in the riding, as the expense of splitting Liberty Village.  I don’t know if there is a better dividing line, but a slight jog to the east along King St would avoid having a riding boundary run through a Longo’s parking lot.

•   A friend suggests that ‘old’ Western Hill (east of Louth St) should be in the same riding as downtown St. Catharines since it contains Ridley College and the VIA train station.

•   The Woodlands of Sunset long-term care home is still divided between Niagara West and Niagara South.  They will continue to vote in different ridings federally and provincially.

•   The Commission moved the NW corner of Halton Region, containing Brookville, from Wellington—Halton Hills North to Burlington North—Milton West without explanation.  BNMW has 20K more people than WHHN.

•   The only change in Guelph was to move a new condo full of students (The Solstice I at Gordon and Arkell) from the ‘city’ riding to the ‘country’ riding.  Again, without explanation.

•   And finally, the border between Kitchener Centre and Kitchener South—Hespeler follows Fairway Dr until it turns south along Woolner Trail to the Grand River.  Fairway Dr ended there until the new bridge was finished over the Grand River.  I would suggest following Fairway Dr to the river.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #704 on: February 13, 2023, 10:54:01 PM »

•   I don’t know enough about the west end of Ottawa to understand if Golden Ave is the western limit of Westboro neighbourhood, but that jog around Berkley Ave, Tay St, and Dominion Ave seems rather odd to me.

Agreed, that is weird. As best as I can tell, they got that boundary by matching the municipal ward boundary north of Richmond Road. Which still doesn't make much sense because the municipal boundary south of Richmond Road is 5-6 blocks west at Denbury Ave. The local community association also considers Denbury to be their western boundary.
DL
Canada

« Reply #705 on: February 14, 2023, 09:42:43 AM »

•   Skipping all the way down to Toronto, I’m certain Jill Andrews is not happy about removing the area south of Vaughan Rd and west of Winona Dr from her riding.

Agreed, though this is no where near as bad for her as the proposal map would have been which would have made the seat totally unwinnable. She loses a relatively small area that is good for her and takes on a small area that is not so great - but all in all the seat does not change drastically.
DL
Canada

« Reply #706 on: February 14, 2023, 09:59:28 AM »

Krago, what are your thoughts on the impact of the changes to University-Rosedale and Spadina-Fort York (now Toronto-Waterfront)?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #707 on: February 14, 2023, 11:47:55 AM »

Agreed, that is weird. As best as I can tell, they got that boundary by matching the municipal ward boundary north of Richmond Road. Which still doesn't make much sense because the municipal boundary south of Richmond Road is 5-6 blocks west at Denbury Ave. The local community association also considers Denbury to be their western boundary.

Neighbourhood boundaries can be rather nebulous, but I have heard of Golden Ave being the unofficial border for Westboro, even if the community association uses Denbury.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #708 on: February 14, 2023, 11:49:26 AM »

•   I don’t understand why they let Stittsville remain divided between two seats when they could have just followed the existing federal boundary in the area and kept Stittsville together.

Considering I was the only one to complain about Stittsville being split, they didn't bother to do anything about it.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #709 on: February 14, 2023, 12:40:08 PM »

Anybody have the results by new boundaries for Alberta, BC, and Ontario?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #710 on: February 14, 2023, 02:48:18 PM »

Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #711 on: February 14, 2023, 03:19:54 PM »

• I don’t understand why they let Stittsville remain divided between two seats when they could have just followed the existing federal boundary in the area and kept Stittsville together.

Considering I was the only one to complain about Stittsville being split, they didn't bother to do anything about it.

So, Stittsville is Splitsville.
Krago
« Reply #712 on: February 14, 2023, 10:28:16 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2023, 06:26:25 AM by Krago »

I have prepared an alternative map for Ottawa that:
- keeps Stittsville together in a single riding
- uses a simpler boundary in the Westboro area, north of Richmond Rd
- places voters on both sides of Innes Rd (from Hwy 417 to Navan Rd) in the same riding
- places voters on both sides of Hwy 417 (from Hunt Club Rd to Carlsbad Rd/Frontier Rd) in the same riding

You can find my alternative map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=18OrFn4Zs3JXgs9Yj-0LXuPgCN8vB94E&usp=sharing
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #713 on: February 15, 2023, 07:41:09 AM »

maps (heart)
Looks like the NDP is -1 with Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing gone. the new SSM-Algoma would be a fight between two incumbents if Carole Hughes (NDP) and Terry Sheehan (LPC) both run. Interestingly enough the new seat, under 2021 vote, would go CPC and not to either incumbent party.
Krago
« Reply #714 on: February 15, 2023, 08:04:31 AM »

I have prepared an alternative map for B.C. that has:
- one riding entirely within the City of Delta
- four ridings entirely within the City of Surrey
- one riding that is shared between the City of Surrey and the City of White Rock
- one riding that is shared between the City of Langley and Langley Township
- one riding that is shared between Langley Township and the City of Abbotsford

This alternative provides a better option for maintaining municipal boundaries in the area while respecting communities of interest and keeping all riding populations within 5% of the provincial quotient.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1150adWRwtUO76J5OD4KvAMCwM9nVorA&usp=sharing
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #715 on: February 15, 2023, 09:36:43 AM »

- places voters on both sides of Innes Rd (from Hwy 417 to Navan Rd) in the same riding
- places voters on both sides of Hwy 417 (from Hunt Club Rd to Carlsbad Rd/Frontier Rd) in the same riding

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=18OrFn4Zs3JXgs9Yj-0LXuPgCN8vB94E&usp=sharing

much better!
Krago
« Reply #716 on: February 15, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »

much better!

The Hatman Seal of Approval!

🎩 👨 🦭 👍
DL
Canada

« Reply #717 on: February 15, 2023, 10:31:15 AM »

Looks like the NDP is -1 with Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing gone. the new SSM-Algoma would be a fight between two incumbents if Carole Hughes (NDP) and Terry Sheehan (LPC) both run. Interestingly enough the new seat, under 2021 vote, would go CPC and not to either incumbent party.

Carol Hughes was first elected in 2008 so she may or may not run again next election. But the other possibility would be that she would run in the new Nickel Belt seat that takes in some of the old Algoma seat. I don't know where actually lives but that would be a consideration.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #718 on: February 15, 2023, 11:34:30 AM »

Carole Hughes already lives in Nickel Belt.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #719 on: February 15, 2023, 01:30:30 PM »

Hmmm... that might actually be a better fit for her/NDP
DL
Canada

« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2023, 01:59:26 PM »

Hmmm... that might actually be a better fit for her/NDP

I believe the new riding is called Manitoulin-Nickel Belt
toaster
Canada

« Reply #721 on: February 16, 2023, 07:54:53 PM »

I thought she was from Kapuskasing.
Krago
« Reply #722 on: February 16, 2023, 08:32:40 PM »

I have prepared an alternative map for Mississauga that makes Mississauga Centre more Centre-y and makes Mississauga East-Cooksville more Cooksville-y.

It also replaces 'Lakeshore' with 'Port Credit' just to piss off people in Clarkson.

You can find my alternative map here, under the Ottawa one:
Krago
« Reply #723 on: February 16, 2023, 08:49:29 PM »

Krago, what are your thoughts on the impact of the changes to University-Rosedale and Spadina-Fort York (now Toronto-Waterfront)?

I think the Commission did a fine job in downtown Toronto.  Putting Chinatown back together in the same riding, and using the Gardiner instead of The Esplanade makes sense.

I would fix Castle Frank Cres, and it looks like the Atlantic Ave extension cuts through 47 Sudbury Ave and 1090 King St W.

I would also drop the name 'Spadina' since it doesn't include either the Spadina Museum, Spadina Road, Spadina Station, Spadina Cres, or much of Spadina Ave.  'Muddy York', anyone?   
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #724 on: February 17, 2023, 08:14:25 AM »

I thought she was from Kapuskasing.

No. She was born in Val-Caron, near Sudbury, was living in Elliot Lake when she got into politics and now lives in Hanmer, according to Elections Canada forms.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies