Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 10:41:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 89
Author Topic: Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)  (Read 152439 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1775 on: October 30, 2022, 07:31:52 PM »

Brazilian DeadPrez in mourning!!
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1776 on: October 30, 2022, 07:32:11 PM »

Any chance Lula hits 51%? He’s currently at 50.9% with 99.95% of the vote in
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1777 on: October 30, 2022, 07:32:34 PM »

I can't express how delighted I am. It was closer than I had expected but today I was honestly thinking we were going to lose. But at the end Bolsonaro lost even while rigging the election in his favor. Glorious stuff! Now I can go to Brazil again after 4 years and visit my grandparents, finally!
We can all thank Alexandre de Moraes for his professionalistic handling of this electoral process.
Best of luck in seeing your grandparents. You deserve it!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1778 on: October 30, 2022, 07:33:32 PM »

Why did Bolsonaro win Rio De Janiero?? I thought that was a fairly left-wing city

Lots of Pentecostals, apparently. Pentecostals are turning into the QAnon of Brazil.
Pivaru
Rookie
Brazil

P P

« Reply #1779 on: October 30, 2022, 07:38:59 PM »

Why did Bolsonaro win Rio De Janiero?? I thought that was a fairly left-wing city
Rio de Janeiro has a considerable evangelical population, in particular in places like Campo Grande and Santa Cruz, I have family who lives there and most of them voted for Bolsonaro for this exact reason, they're very religious and they hate Lula because idk, he's sent by the demon or something. From the time I lived and visited there, I also have observed that a lot of people there have a "criminals are irredeemable and deserve to die in the hands of the police" view, which obviously fits Bolsonaro's agenda a lot more than Lula's (this is anecdotal, but I think it's worth noting).

Aside from these more evangelical places, the part of Rio that voted the most for Bolsonaro was Barra da Tijuca, which always votes for the right since the people who live there tend to be richer and thus, more right wing.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1780 on: October 30, 2022, 07:40:07 PM »

Talked to a friend who is a Bolsonaro->Lula voter, he’s quite happy hearing the result
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1781 on: October 30, 2022, 07:41:40 PM »

Rio de Janeiro has a considerable evangelical population, in particular in places like Campo Grande and Santa Cruz, I have family who lives there and most of them voted for Bolsonaro for this exact reason, they're very religious and they hate Lula. From the time I lived and visited there, I also have observed that a lot of people there have a "criminals are irredeemable and deserve to die in the hands of the police" view, which obviously fits Bolsonaro's agenda a lot more than Lula's (this is anecdotal, but I think it's worth noting).
Rio had a reputation for being a "red city" some time ago (iirc Brizola was a fairly left-leaning mayor of it back in the 80s), but those days are obviously gone now. If anything, Rio is the closest thing to a home base Bolsonaro has...pretty much exemplifying his winning coalition in 2018.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1782 on: October 30, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »

Rio de Janeiro has a considerable evangelical population, in particular in places like Campo Grande and Santa Cruz, I have family who lives there and most of them voted for Bolsonaro for this exact reason, they're very religious and they hate Lula because idk, he's sent by the demon or something. From the time I lived and visited there, I also have observed that a lot of people there have a "criminals are irredeemable and deserve to die in the hands of the police" view, which obviously fits Bolsonaro's agenda a lot more than Lula's (this is anecdotal, but I think it's worth noting).

Aside from these more evangelical places, the part of Rio that voted the most for Bolsonaro was Barra da Tijuca, which always votes for the right since the people who live there tend to be richer and thus, more right wing.

Interesting. Is there a link to who won the municipalities?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1783 on: October 30, 2022, 07:43:30 PM »

https://especiaisg1.globo/politica/eleicoes/2022/mapas/mapa-da-apuracao-no-brasil-presidente/2-turno/
Here
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1784 on: October 30, 2022, 07:44:12 PM »

https://especiaisg1.globo/politica/eleicoes/2022/mapas/mapa-da-apuracao-no-brasil-presidente/2-turno/
Here

Thanks!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1785 on: October 30, 2022, 07:44:56 PM »

Here

Thanks!
You're welcome!
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1786 on: October 30, 2022, 07:46:52 PM »

Rio de Janeiro has a considerable evangelical population, in particular in places like Campo Grande and Santa Cruz, I have family who lives there and most of them voted for Bolsonaro for this exact reason, they're very religious and they hate Lula. From the time I lived and visited there, I also have observed that a lot of people there have a "criminals are irredeemable and deserve to die in the hands of the police" view, which obviously fits Bolsonaro's agenda a lot more than Lula's (this is anecdotal, but I think it's worth noting).
When you say evangelical, are you talking about Protestant Christians, just Pentecostals, or anyone strict in general including Catholics?
Pivaru
Rookie
Brazil

P P

« Reply #1787 on: October 30, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »

When you say evangelical, are you talking about Protestant Christians, just Pentecostals, or anyone strict in general including Catholics?
Pentacostals and people from the Universal Church of the Kingdom of God
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1788 on: October 30, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »

Two hours after confirmation of Lula's victory, Bolsonaro has yet to publicly manifest himself

A defeated candidate for reelection, Jair Bolsonaro (PL) had not yet publicly expressed himself two hours after Lula's (PT) victory was confirmed at 7:57 pm by the Superior Electoral Court (TSE).

Several authorities in Brazil have already commented on the results of the presidential elections, including the president of the Chamber, Arthur Lira (PP-AL), an ally of Bolsonaro, and the president of the Senate, Rodrigo Pacheco (PSD-MG).

Abroad, Lula's victory also generated repercussions. About half an hour after the result was known, US President Joe Biden issued a statement congratulating PT on the new term.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1789 on: October 30, 2022, 08:03:05 PM »

Talked to a friend who is a Bolsonaro->Lula voter, he’s quite happy hearing the result

Interesting. What's his political evolution been like?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1790 on: October 30, 2022, 08:09:16 PM »

What's stopping Jair from just throwing out the election results, it's not like he'd care all that much or the military would care.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P P
« Reply #1791 on: October 30, 2022, 08:09:16 PM »

Trump supporters pray outside of Clark County Election Department in Nevada

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1792 on: October 30, 2022, 08:12:33 PM »

Trump supporters pray outside of Clark County Election Department in Nevada

It is happening again.

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1793 on: October 30, 2022, 08:14:50 PM »

What's stopping Jair from just throwing out the election results, it's not like he'd care all that much or the military would care.

His political allies are just conceding the election. Moro and even the crazy lady who was chasing people with a gun yesterday in São Paulo, are saying that they will now be opposition to Lula in Congress.

But I'm curious to see if he himself will actually say anything.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1794 on: October 30, 2022, 08:16:54 PM »

The military has probably been made to care. Apparently Lloyd Austin has been on the phone with them constantly for months.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1795 on: October 30, 2022, 08:17:41 PM »

It used to be, but in recent decades it has been prone to demagogic politics from all directions, which has sometimes worked out well for the Left and sometimes very much not.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1796 on: October 30, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »

What's with the big bunch of municipalities closer to the Uruguay border voting for Lula?
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1797 on: October 30, 2022, 08:27:41 PM »

Good. Lula is bad but Bolsonaro is just awful.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1798 on: October 30, 2022, 08:28:50 PM »

24 hours or less until the military steps in?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1799 on: October 30, 2022, 08:29:47 PM »

Likely the only handover of the presidential sash we'll witness with outgoing incumbent Bolsonaro:

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 77 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies