Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:38:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission  (Read 8146 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2021, 06:23:42 PM »

By "Guest," she means Michael Guest of MS-3? He's been a super loyalist to Trump...
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »

By "Guest," she means Michael Guest of MS-3? He's been a super loyalist to Trump...

Presumably. That was definitely one of the more surprising names to me.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 06:29:07 PM »

Yes, it is Michael Guest.  Manu Raju has a list with full names:

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2021, 06:29:20 PM »

This is probably why McCarthy is opposed: https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/19/politics/republican-reaction-january-6-probe/index.html
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2021, 06:30:26 PM »

~17% of Republicans voting for it means that it's still DOA in the Senate unless & until they go nuclear.
Can't the House just do their own investigation without Senate approval? The Republicans did that for Benghazi.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2021, 06:31:48 PM »

~17% of Republicans voting for it means that it's still DOA in the Senate unless & until they go nuclear.
Can't the House just do their own investigation without Senate approval? The Republicans did that for Benghazi.

Remember though, Republicans have their own set of rules and if Democrats did the same thing it would cause a s***fit by most GOP politicians.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2021, 06:31:49 PM »

Yes they can, and I expect that they will do just that if the Senate fails to approve the commission.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2021, 06:32:17 PM »

That is not how it works. Assuming all of the 7 impeachers vote for it, it just needs 3 more votes. I wouldn't say it's likely, but it could very well pass.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2021, 06:32:47 PM »

Yes they can, and I expect that they will do just that if the Senate fails to approve the commission.

So Republicans just shot themselves in the foot politically and got a worse outcome for themselves too, lol.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2021, 06:37:10 PM »

Not necessarily.  The House is much more partisan than the Senate, typically (although that's becoming less so lately).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2021, 06:42:19 PM »

No Young Kim or Michelle Steel. The Dems need to aggressively target them in the midterms.

And no Nancy Mace. She has turned out to be an immense disappointment, after appearing to be a more reasonable Republican in the immediate aftermath of the riots.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »

Not necessarily.  The House is much more partisan than the Senate, typically (although that's becoming less so lately).
Remember a majority of House Republicans voted to reject the electoral votes of two states while less than ten Senate Republicans did for each one.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »

Remember a majority of House Republicans voted to reject the electoral votes of two states while less than ten Senate Republicans did for each one.

It's important to note though that with certification, Senate R leadership encouraged members to support it while House R leadership encouraged opposition. This time, there is no such split - all R leadership in both chambers is opposed.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »

I love that 2/3 of the Washington GOP delegation has embraced the "principled defector" label and Cathy McMorris Rodgers is just doing the Terminator lava thumbs up as she sinks into the pit of MAGA destruction.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2021, 07:03:28 PM »

That is not how it works. Assuming all of the 7 impeachers vote for it, it just needs 3 more votes. I wouldn't say it's likely, but it could very well pass.

Obviously. I might've worded it badly but what I was attempting to point out was merely that if the proportion of House Republican support for the bill were to remain the same among Senate Republicans, then it still wouldn't be clearing 60.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2021, 07:07:36 PM »

Erick Erickson is a HP, but comes out with the occasional zinger:

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2021, 07:41:55 PM »

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2021, 07:45:03 PM »

This is a divisive issue within the Republican Party and it's not hard to ascertain McCarthy's preferred strategy: Placate Trump and do just enough to turn out his base without doing too much to offend the sizable chunk of Republican voters (around a third if you believe the polls) who remain outraged by the storming of the Capitol. There's a reason why he talks about this and the nasty business with Cheney in terms of "moving on."

Obviously, this is cowardly and ridiculous. We can't move on, appealing as the notion is to many of us, because he is obstructing the process. (As usual, we would be better off if we could strand the entire Republican caucus on a deserted island and start over from scratch.) In any case, the strategy seems to be that with enough time, the salience of this event will fade, and Democrats will seem threatening enough that the coalition holds.

You should consider an avatar change:

Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2021, 08:37:11 PM »

Why would I vote for a party that has made it almost impossible to for me to find decent housing within commuting distance of my job, that prevents my landlord from evicting a deadbeat tenant who has repeatedly harassed me, that has made my state's largest city into a place where you can't walk a few blocks without getting bothered by some lunatic, and that continues to fight for mask mandates even with a statewide vaccination rate of nearly 100% among the at-risk? No thank you. Vermont's Democrats are a freak show, and the Progressives are even worse.

I'm going to try not to derail this thread too much with off-topic things, but who did you vote for last year? I've had trouble following your political evolution or identifying a concrete ideology, if you have one.

In any case, it sounds like your issue is only with Vermont's Democrats. I can't see you sporting a blue avatar if you lived in North Carolina or Georgia.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2021, 06:18:44 AM by Teflon Joe. »

Not necessarily.  The House is much more partisan than the Senate, typically (although that's becoming less so lately).

Getting 20-25% of Senate Republicans to back the bill is realistic. 20% would get it to 60 votes.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2021, 10:31:38 PM »

The Commission isn't gonna make or break the Election anyways, as I said on this forum many times that was a Terrorist attack against Elected Officers not against the people, we were attacked on 911 against everyone, and Jan 6th wasn't an attack against Everyone.

As long as Manchin won't grow a spine and get rid of Fillibuster, the Rs can stop anything they don't like in the Senate
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:18 PM »

It seems like the Republicans defying McCarthy are disproportionately in swing seats so they're using this vote to look bipartisan. I heard that election objectors in swing seats in particular wanted to use this to get political cover, so how many Yes voters also objected to the election result?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2021, 11:17:39 PM »

It seems like the Republicans defying McCarthy are disproportionately in swing seats so they're using this vote to look bipartisan. I heard that election objectors in swing seats in particular wanted to use this to get political cover, so how many Yes voters also objected to the election result?

Bentz, Bice, Gimenez, Guest, Jacobs. Tom Rice objected but he also voted to impeach and in favor of the commission.

Bentz, Guest and Jacobs are all from Safe R districts, Bice's district is Lean R and trending left, and Gimenez's went from Clinton +16 to Trump +6.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »

Chance the bill passes the senate after Mr. Turtleman came out against is close to zero. If there can't even be a bi-partisan commission that's split 50-50 after a GOP Rep. (Katko) negotiated the deal can't pass the senate, I dunno how much more evidence Manchin and Sinema need to figure out that the Filibuster needs to be nuked.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2021, 06:37:11 PM »

By the way, maybe it's just my hate-crush for her that made me notice this, but I'm surprised Mace wasn't among the 35 voting for the commission. It would have been an easy layup for her to reinforce the "reasonable Republican" image she's tried to cultivate and even fooled me with for a bit, especially when I saw some of her interviews on the day of the insurrection. She's probably relying on the old "there is nothing new to learn and we shouldn't be antagonizing Trump supporters" cop-out. Coward!

On the flip-side, I am loving pissed off Tim Ryan. I used to never care for him much and his "golly gee! Can't we all work together?" moderate image, but the Beer Belly Putsch really seems to have been a wake-up call for him in how he looks at his colleagues. I can't blame him, it was a wake-up call to the country that can't be forgotten about or obfuscated as the majority of the GOP seems intent on doing. That's why we need this commission. You're damn right that I'm endorsing it as much for the political theater as for shedding light on the incident. This never needs to happen again and in a just world should destroy the Republican Party in its Trump hive-mind form.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies