Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:41:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy comes out against bipartisan Jan. 6 commission  (Read 8328 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2021, 03:02:54 PM »

QU poll has D's plus 9 on Generic ballot and McCarthy is at 12% he isn't gonna be Speaker, Mcconnell at 15%

https://poll.qu.edu/poll-release?releaseid=3810
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #151 on: May 28, 2021, 03:06:35 PM »

The Republican Party is dead (it's now the loony trump party).
There have been commissions for most, if not all, past "significant" events in our nation, and both parties would agree to create them.
(But) Kudos to those few GOP members in the Senate who did vote to create it.
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2021, 03:12:54 PM »

I hope this commission doesn’t end up like the commission of prez debates where all Dems are mainstream but all gop are rinos. As much as I hate trump that would be unfair.

Would you be okay with a “bipartisan” commission where all Dems are like David Clarke and all Republicans are like MTG?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #153 on: May 28, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »

I hope this commission doesn’t end up like the commission of prez debates where all Dems are mainstream but all gop are rinos. As much as I hate trump that would be unfair.

Would you be okay with a “bipartisan” commission where all Dems are like David Clarke and all Republicans are like MTG?

If Democrats were given a good-faith invitation to take part in it and then refused, I wouldn't have much room to complain would I?
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #154 on: May 28, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »

If Democrats were given a good-faith invitation to take part in it and then refused, I wouldn't have much room to complain would I?
I don’t want the Republicans to take part in it either.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »

Why do you have a red avatar? Why not at least a lime-green one?
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2021, 04:10:36 PM »

If we can’t nuke the Filibuster after this, there really is no hope left for this country
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2021, 04:18:56 PM »

Of course Mcconnell blocked the Commission his wife Elaine Chao worked for Trump, himself
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 28, 2021, 04:33:19 PM »

Why do you have a red avatar? Why not at least a lime-green one?

Because I am registered as one to vote in Dem primaries, and I don’t support Trump.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 28, 2021, 04:44:29 PM »

Why are the people who were involved in the crime allowed to determine whether it's investigated?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #160 on: May 28, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »

Why are the people who were involved in the crime allowed to determine whether it's investigated?

Because our government is extremely flawed, and Congress is a failed institution being led by minority rule. Not to mention that the minority is filled with literal traitors to the country and people who hate democracy.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 28, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »

Good lord! My patience with the GOP appears to be growing thinner by the day...

Even as someone who thought some Clinton supporters could've reacted more maturely to Trump's 2016 win themselves, This is just getting so stupid!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #162 on: May 28, 2021, 06:03:49 PM »

I know that it is a waste of time to ever make this point, but here it goes! Imagine if the Democratic minority did this about the 9/11 commission. Would the party even exist today? I wish I was surprised by the result though, but I feel that it is always reasonable to expect our republic to be dysfunctional. How sad...

If we can’t nuke the Filibuster after this, there really is no hope left for this country

Blame Joe Manchin. If he was smart he would have threatened McConnell that he will get Sinema to go along with him to nuke the filibuster unless he and the GOP approve the commission. Instead he basically conceded all of his power as the nation's most powerful Senator to McConnell, as if he was still Majority Leader, and shrug his shoulders and say "well, what are you gonna do?" McConnell benefited both ways from his "I encourage you to vote for the commission but also won't allow any consequences if you don't." he allowed this situation to be a win-win for the greatest villain of the last decade.

If Biden's goals become nonexistent after the potential infrastructure bill, especially if when the GOP takes back the House and maybe even the Senate too, history will remember Manchin and Sinema as other great villains in our nation's history, alongside McConnell and Trump.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2021, 06:18:27 PM »

What a spineless f#%king cuck.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »

What happened today would be considered sanctionable selective justice if it happened in an Eastern European country. American politicians are now in the interesting situation of having to choose between law and the rule of law. I'm sold at this point - the filibuster has to go to save liberal democracy. If Manchin won't do it, time for Romney to step up.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »

What happened today would be considered sanctionable selective justice if it happened in an Eastern European country. American politicians are now in the interesting situation of having to choose between law and the rule of law. I'm sold at this point - the filibuster has to go to save liberal democracy. If Manchin won't do it, time for Romney to step up.
It’s not even law, it’s a Senate rule of procedure.

Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2021, 07:15:36 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2021, 07:19:35 PM by Teflon Joe. »

The MAGA cult is doing Russia's work by spreading fake news and misinformation about the election, which led to the insurrection. Putin is salivating at how much Trump has damaged US democracy.

The Republican party were Cold War hawks and complained about Russian disinformation, now the MAGAs welcomes it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2021, 07:24:37 PM »

It's Manchin fault, he doesn't have the spine to nuke the Filibuster, we should of nuked it when they blocked the Minimum wage if Bernie, Warren or Booker were Prez they would of had Veep overruled the Parliamentary
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »

The MAGA cult is doing Russia's work by spreading fake news and misinformation about the election, which led to the insurrection. Putin is salivating at how much Trump has damaged US democracy.

The Republican party were Cold War hawks and complained about Russian disinformation, now the MAGAs welcomes it.

The Rs were always with Russia, Lee Harvey Oswald was an American spy for Russia during Bay of Pigs the Cousin of General Lee and he threatened to kill an FBI agent before he killed Kennedy, he said at an Embassy that if his Russian wife didn't get a visa to Cuba, he would kill Kennedy

The first shot was his but the second shot may not have been and Hoover had ties to KGB and he was friends with Nixon

That's why since 1945 we are divided blue v red due to Red for Tories and blue for Secular, since the Assassinations
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2021, 08:11:21 AM »
« Edited: May 29, 2021, 08:24:56 AM by R.P. McM »

I know that it is a waste of time to ever make this point, but here it goes! Imagine if the Democratic minority did this about the 9/11 commission. Would the party even exist today? I wish I was surprised by the result though, but I feel that it is always reasonable to expect our republic to be dysfunctional. How sad...

Blame Joe Manchin. If he was smart he would have threatened McConnell that he will get Sinema to go along with him to nuke the filibuster unless he and the GOP approve the commission. Instead he basically conceded all of his power as the nation's most powerful Senator to McConnell, as if he was still Majority Leader, and shrug his shoulders and say "well, what are you gonna do?" McConnell benefited both ways from his "I encourage you to vote for the commission but also won't allow any consequences if you don't." he allowed this situation to be a win-win for the greatest villain of the last decade.

If Biden's goals become nonexistent after the potential infrastructure bill, especially if when the GOP takes back the House and maybe even the Senate too, history will remember Manchin and Sinema as other great villains in our nation's history, alongside McConnell and Trump.

^This. If the GOP continues embracing authoritarianism, Manchin and Sinema will earn a place as historical pariahs. So what, from their perspective, makes this an attractive tradeoff? It's careerism, plain and simple (RBG says hi). Which, given AZ's current political trajectory, is a shortsighted miscalculation on Sinema's part. But Manchin represents a state Trump carried by ~40%. His long-term electoral prospects are dim. Still, he'd rather see the rest of the country dragged through hell than abandon that tiny flicker of hope.

As you note, Manchin could've very easily offered McConnell an ultimatum with respect to the Commission. And there's a good chance McConnell would've taken the deal — nothing imperils his grotesque legacy more than the demise of the filibuster. However, I'm not convinced that Manchin's self-imposed legislative impotence is a product of stupidity. Republican opposition to the Commission isn't inspired exclusively by the fear that it might expose their own complicity in Trump's disgraceful, potentially criminal conduct. They also recognize that when the process concludes, Trump will emerge even more radioactive to swing voters, and more beloved amongst the party's deranged base. Further complicating the GOP's efforts to simultaneously appeal to both segments of the electorate. Well, as a Democratic senator representing an R+23 state, Manchin has to perform a similar tightrope act. So I suspect he's secretly pleased that his GOP colleagues have removed an obstacle from his path, and shouldered all the blame in so doing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2021, 08:18:48 AM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2021, 08:19:39 AM »

lmao good one chuck
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2021, 08:20:59 AM »

He’s not wrong. It’s not the beginning no they have been doing that for years now.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2021, 08:28:44 AM »

Schumer needs to put the Nuke option on the floor and just have a vote on it like Bill Frist was gonna do on judges, he doesn't have the spine to do it, that's why I would prefer AOC to defeat him in the primary and Durbin as Majority Leader, Durbin has been outspoken on the Nuke option

Even if he lose the vote just have the vote
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »

lmao good one chuck

Schumer is chicken not to put the nuke option on the Floor, Furniture n will do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies