Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:30:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246440 times)
compucomp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3450 on: November 03, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »

After Manchin and Sinema cost the Democrats Virginia last night (maybe long-term if they are able to pass voting restrictions there), the least they can do it quickly pass BBB and limit the damage. We need a really strong and united party for the entire next year. No more infighting!

Manchin and Sinema already voted for the infrastructure bill.

It's the so-called "progressives" in the House holding the bill hostage.

Is it holding it hostage if they're just against it? I don't think all of the Dems are a yes on that bill in a vacuum.

Are they against it, or just don't think, it's enough?

I think they're against it, but willing to vote for it as a compromise if they get the other bill.

Which Dems are actually against the BIF on its own merits? Out of the whole Progressive Caucus, I only saw two members of the Squad (AOC and Cori Bush) express opposition to the BIF on environmental grounds, and then only briefly. I don't believe there are 5 Dems opposed to the BIF, they only threaten to oppose it because they are holding it hostage to the BBB.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3451 on: November 03, 2021, 01:31:13 PM »

This administration is so sad, absolutely no urgency or ability to pivot and push its priorities, it’s almost like it doesn’t realize it only has 1 more year to do anything Of substance, the admin really reflects sleepy joe
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3452 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:15 PM »

After Manchin and Sinema cost the Democrats Virginia last night (maybe long-term if they are able to pass voting restrictions there), the least they can do it quickly pass BBB and limit the damage. We need a really strong and united party for the entire next year. No more infighting!

Is it holding it hostage if they're just against it? I don't think all of the Dems are a yes on that bill in a vacuum.

I think they're against it, but willing to vote for it as a compromise if they get the other bill.

Which Dems are actually against the BIF on its own merits? Out of the whole Progressive Caucus, I only saw two members of the Squad (AOC and Cori Bush) express opposition to the BIF on environmental grounds, and then only briefly. I don't believe there are 5 Dems opposed to the BIF, they only threaten to oppose it because they are holding it hostage to the BBB.

If Biden hadn't caved and allowed BIF/BBB to be tied together, the infrastructure bill likely could have been passed with bipartisan support in the House - just like it was in the Senate. 

Combining the two into a single package turns it into a partisan play.  Not only does this mean Republicans don't come along for the ride, it puts the whole popularity of what could have been a bipartisan achievement (i.e., BIF) unessecarily in peril. 
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3453 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:25 PM »

Someone tell me: What is "progressive" about holding the infrastructure bill hostage?

These people should be called regressives.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3454 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »

Roll Eyes

I (and Democrats should) care about the contents of the agenda and the effect it will be have the country. Electoral ramifications are secondary.

That's ideologically-motivated social engineering, not how you govern in a pluralistic democracy.

Biden campaigned on an infrastructure package.  19 Republican senators agreed on the BIP.  Passing it now (although it should have been passed months ago) has absolutely no downside for Biden; it'd be a kept promise and major bipartisan achievement.  Biden agreeing to hold it hostage for a pie-in-the-sky $3.5T entitlement bill is pure lunacy and shows how unnatural of a political operator he has always been.   

If trying to get a bill that I believe strongly will be a boon for the American people passed after the voters handed Democrats a trifecta is “ideologically-motivated social engineering” then sign me up. It’s plausible that holding up the bill for leverage on BBB was for naught, and if so then we should have passed it many months ago. But if holding up the BIF does ultimately make BBB a lot better, then I’m all for it.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #3455 on: November 03, 2021, 01:51:58 PM »

Someone tell me: What is "progressive" about holding the infrastructure bill hostage?

These people should be called regressives.
“YAAAAS QUEEN KEEP BLOCKING ANY REAL PROGRESS FROM BEING MADE!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️“

What comments on AOC’s lives are basically saying.

Hope she gets to have her little insta live, after all the damage she and her idiots have caused.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #3456 on: November 03, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 01:58:45 PM by roxas11 »

Roll Eyes

I (and Democrats should) care about the contents of the agenda and the effect it will be have the country. Electoral ramifications are secondary.

That's ideologically-motivated social engineering, not how you govern in a pluralistic democracy.

Biden campaigned on an infrastructure package.  19 Republican senators agreed on the BIP.  Passing it now (although it should have been passed months ago) has absolutely no downside for Biden; it'd be a kept promise and major bipartisan achievement.  Biden agreeing to hold it hostage for a pie-in-the-sky $3.5T entitlement bill is pure lunacy and shows how unnatural of a political operator he has always been.    

I don't think it's lunacy for any president to want 2 bills instead of 1

Now is it greedy sure, but any other politician in Biden's position would have done the same thing. Biden saw an opportunity to get more and he took it.

As you correctly pointed out, this can very well backfire on him in the end and I think Biden himself, knows full well that is a possibility, but if he were to succeed in getting both bills it would be a far bigger deal than just passing infrastructure.

I won't sugarcoat it This a shameless and very risky strategy by Biden, but if it works he will end up getting far more than just an infrastructure bill

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3457 on: November 03, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »

I don't know. It's my sense of it based on what they have said. I'm also a bit tired at the circular discussion on this that happens almost every day.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #3458 on: November 03, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »

https://news.bloombergtax.com/daily-tax-report-state/salt-compromise-would-narrow-income-eligibility-lawmakers-say

"SALT Compromise Would Narrow Income Eligibility, Lawmakers Say"

It seems the SALT cap removal would go away for those with AGI above $500K.  If so then this really just a political talking point and does not solve the Blue state Dem problem of the migration of high-income individuals from Blue states to low tax red states.  The problem was never $300K-$500K  AGI moving from NY/NJ to FL.  I was always the $5 million+ crowd that has or might migrate in the future.  This does nothing to reduce that flow.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #3459 on: November 03, 2021, 02:42:44 PM »

Rules committee will resume testimony on BBB at 4:15 ET. Not sure if they will vote it out tonight or not.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3460 on: November 03, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »

SALT Cap Raised to $72.5K from $10K in House Democrats’ Proposed Bill.  I have to assume this is phased out after AGI reaches $500K.  Again this helps some number of people in high tax blue states but does not solve the real problem of the migration of the very high-income taxpayers to low tax red states that the original GOP SALT cap induced.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3461 on: November 03, 2021, 02:59:27 PM »

SALT Cap Raised to $72.5K from $10K in House Democrats’ Proposed Bill.  I have to assume this is phased out after AGI reaches $500K.  Again this helps some number of people in high tax blue states but does not solve the real problem of the migration of the very high-income taxpayers to low tax red states that the original GOP SALT cap induced.

Also cap was pushed back to 2031. Pretty good deal all around imo, gets SALT relief to the middle and upper middle class without being billed as a tax cut for the rich.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3462 on: November 03, 2021, 03:09:47 PM »

Also cap was pushed back to 2031. Pretty good deal all around imo, gets SALT relief to the middle and upper middle class without being billed as a tax cut for the rich.

I agree it is good politics but does not solve the core issue why Blue state Dems are pushing for SALT cap removal
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3463 on: November 03, 2021, 03:55:46 PM »

The House leadership should have taken the infrastructure bill to an up and down vote.

Let it be known who are these "progressives" who are against the infrastructure bill.

Ok if you're saying the leadership is holding it hostage I think there might be an argument there. But the progressives were willing to have the vote. I don't see how they're holding it hostage.

Don't bother with this pppolitics clown. He supports Manchin and Sinema killing BBB.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3464 on: November 03, 2021, 03:57:56 PM »

Any Democrat trying to block free college is a god damn fool. Look at exit polls of voters with a college degree vs. those without one for like any election, including yesterday.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3465 on: November 03, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 04:11:35 PM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

Any Democrat trying to block free college is a god damn fool. Look at exit polls of voters with a college degree vs. those without one for like any election, including yesterday.

We already have free College it's called PELL GRANTS everyone of us received Pell Grants if you were low income too

Graduate Schools don't have Pell Grants because it's not required it's extra education, that's why it involves logic not facts in it's tests, Law School, Med School and Nursing School includes Graduate school, no Pell Grants but if you are a practicing Attorney or Nurse or Doctor there are state programs that 0ays for your Loans 8e if you are on the Honor rolll there are Grants or if you are a Cop or Natl Guard then they pay for all college
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3466 on: November 03, 2021, 04:19:57 PM »

After last night's thumping, the smart thing for Democrats to do would be to drop the Sanders-Pelosi agenda, pass the bipartisan Senate infrastructure plan, and recalibrate to win some bipartisan victories going into 2022.  The Virginia defeat gives Biden an opening to say no to the left, taking it may be the only way to salvage his presidency.

That's good advice for spiritual cuckolds but not for a party in power. If you are going to lose in the midterms, then the sensible strategy is to pass as much as possible now rather than water down everything in the vague hope that conciliatory centrism will somehow save them from historical patterns of midterm losses.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3467 on: November 03, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »

We already have free College it's called PELL GRANTS everyone of us received Pell Grants if you were low income too

Graduate Schools don't have Pell Grants because it's not required it's extra education, that's why it involves logic not facts in it's tests, Law School, Med School and Nursing School includes Graduate school, no Pell Grants but if you are a practicing Attorney or Nurse or Doctor there are state programs that 0ays for your Loans 8e if you are on the Honor rolll there are Grants or if you are a Cop or Natl Guard then they pay for all college

We do not. If Pell Grants covered college for poor students we wouldn't have a student loan crisis.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3468 on: November 03, 2021, 04:31:23 PM »

After last night's thumping, the smart thing for Democrats to do would be to drop the Sanders-Pelosi agenda, pass the bipartisan Senate infrastructure plan, and recalibrate to win some bipartisan victories going into 2022.  The Virginia defeat gives Biden an opening to say no to the left, taking it may be the only way to salvage his presidency.

That's good advice for spiritual cuckolds but not for a party in power. If you are going to lose in the midterms, then the sensible strategy is to pass as much as possible now rather than water down everything in the vague hope that conciliatory centrism will somehow save them from historical patterns of midterm losses.

I agree, though it feels like the Democrats make this mistake over and over again. It's just sad, because a lot of their policies are actually just common-sense and not some hard left agenda. Policies that actually help a lot of people in the daily lives.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3469 on: November 03, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

We do not. If Pell Grants covered college for poor students we wouldn't have a student loan crisis.

They cover 1/2 the cost but many of us took out loans for Dorms too Work study cover it , but Pell Grants cover tuition and books 2500 to 5K a Semester if you go to 20K a yr school it didn't cover it only 10K a yr school that's why we have Loan crisis, I lived in dorms or off campus and took out loans for my apartment some people don't live with parent's

I take them out now for Grad school p
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3470 on: November 03, 2021, 04:33:51 PM »

In California, a poor person could graduate without student loan debt IF and only IF, they go to a two year community college for free, and then Transfer to a Local Commuter CSU University, get the Pell grants and California's Cal Grant, and live at home with your parents without paying for housing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #3471 on: November 03, 2021, 04:36:16 PM »

In California, a poor person could graduate without student loan debt IF and only IF, they go to a two year community college for free, and then Transfer to a Local Commuter CSU University, get the Pell grants and California's Cal Grant, and live at home with your parents without paying for housing.

Pell Grants cover up to 10K tuition, UCLA and USC are alot more than 10K
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3472 on: November 03, 2021, 04:36:33 PM »

Dems are now to the right of Mitt Romney on among other sings taxes.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3473 on: November 03, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »

Pell Grants cover up to 10K tuition, UCLA and USC are alot more than 10K

Yes those are the competiive prestige insituions. But you don't need to go to a prestige school to get a degree in nursing or business which is what most people major in, you can just go to CSU NORTHRIDGE OR SACRAMENTO STATE, and tuition there is less than 6,000.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3474 on: November 03, 2021, 04:56:32 PM »

Dems are now to the right of Mitt Romney on among other sings taxes.

This is terrible optics but I don’t think this will actually pass at least I hope.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 [139] 140 141 142 143 144 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies