Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246584 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:16 PM »

What is SALT and why does it matter?

A tax deduction that allows high tax states to fund social services, like schools, without needing insanely high tax rates.
Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

SALT is an itemized deduction that lets you deduct State and Local taxes on your tax return . Keep in mind that the deduction is only beneficial if you have total itemized deductions of over $12,400 for singes  and $24,800 for joint filers .

So basically unless you are already pretty affluent, that deduction will very likely not benefit you

No....

Just no, look at the map I posted earlier, it puts this myth to rest.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2021, 08:22:59 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 08:57:47 PM by Old School Republican »

A tax deduction that allows high tax states to fund social services, like schools, without needing insanely high tax rates.
Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

SALT is an itemized deduction that lets you deduct State and Local taxes on your tax return . Keep in mind that the deduction is only beneficial if you have total itemized deductions of over $12,400 for singes  and $24,800 for joint filers .

So basically unless you are already pretty affluent, that deduction will very likely not benefit you

No....

Do you know that you can’t even deduct state and local taxes if you dont use the itemized deduction
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2021, 08:55:50 PM »

Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

SALT is an itemized deduction that lets you deduct State and Local taxes on your tax return . Keep in mind that the deduction is only beneficial if you have total itemized deductions of over $12,400 for singes  and $24,800 for joint filers .

No....

Do you know that you can’t even deduct state and local taxes if you don't use the itemized deduction

FTFY

But yeah, capping the SALT deduction at $10,000 doesn't really have much of an effect except on the wealthy. Not only because the wealthy are more likely to have more than $10,000 in State And Local Taxes, but because it's a tax deduction, not a tax credit, so someone in a high tax bracket benefits more than someone in a low tax bracket from the same amount of SALT.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »

Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

No....

Do you know that you can’t even deduct state and local taxes if you don't use the itemized deduction

FTFY

But yeah, capping the SALT deduction at $10,000 doesn't really have much of an effect except on the wealthy. Not only because the wealthy are more likely to have more than $10,000 in State And Local Taxes, but because it's a tax deduction, not a tax credit, so someone in a high tax bracket benefits more than someone in a low tax bracket from the same amount of SALT.

Lol meant to say you cant use it if you use the Standard Deduction but typed in itemized by accident.

One of the problem with the way the media discusses the tax code is they make it seem like that everyone can utilize these itemized deductions , which is obviously not true although this year they are allowing people to deduct up to $300 of cash based charitable contributions even you itemize.

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »

How about instead of a SALT cap, we have an added red precinct tax?

I'm sure BRTD would be on board with this.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2021, 10:50:43 PM »

Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

SALT is an itemized deduction that lets you deduct State and Local taxes on your tax return . Keep in mind that the deduction is only beneficial if you have total itemized deductions of over $12,400 for singes  and $24,800 for joint filers .

No....

Do you know that you can’t even deduct state and local taxes if you dont use the itemized deduction

Yeah, I haven't been able to deduct them since they approx doubled the standard deduction and took away the exemption for yourself. Because I'd lose money if I itemized.

which is obviously not true although this year they are allowing people to deduct up to $300 of cash based charitable contributions even you itemize.

Uggh, wish I'd known about that before I did my taxes. I could have took that. Haven't been able to take the charitable deduction the last few years, for the same reason.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2021, 11:03:50 PM »

Pelosi just said yesterday that she hopes to do it, so unless Biden's threatening to veto (which is, y'know, lol), this doesn't actually stop Congress from just adding the proposal in on their own.

That requires it to get through senate reconciliation untouched. And I'd be pretty surprised if Manchin or whatever didn't kill it there.

Manchin won’t kill it lol

Why on earth wouldn't Manchin touch SALT? The GOP could bring up a floor amendment to just SALT and he could vote yes. He forced changes to the stimulus bill, after all.

“Changes”

Manchin isn’t going to force the removal of something the Democratic congressional leadership cares about, he’s basically our Susan Collins.

Yeah but now he has the same position as Biden.

especially when the bill probably can’t pass the House without it.

Earmarks, baby.

Pelosi supports SALT relief; why would she use earmarks to kill it?  And why would Biden pick this as a hill to die on, regardless of his views on the issues?  Why would it matter to him that much?

"Relief" lmao. Because Biden can probably get everything he wants here. No adjustments to SALT and more infrastructure to buy off the suburbanites. Plus, I really don't see this playing well with most senators. Other than Manchin, I can absolutely see someone like Sanders throwing a fit over this with the go-ahead from Biden.

Neither Bernie nor Manchin nor Biden are gonna kill the bill over this.

Passing a floor amendment after the house sends the bill over != killing the bill.

It can’t pass the House w/o SALT relief
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2021, 11:18:23 PM »

Pelosi just said yesterday that she hopes to do it, so unless Biden's threatening to veto (which is, y'know, lol), this doesn't actually stop Congress from just adding the proposal in on their own.

That requires it to get through senate reconciliation untouched. And I'd be pretty surprised if Manchin or whatever didn't kill it there.

Why on earth wouldn't Manchin touch SALT? The GOP could bring up a floor amendment to just SALT and he could vote yes. He forced changes to the stimulus bill, after all.

“Changes”

Manchin isn’t going to force the removal of something the Democratic congressional leadership cares about, he’s basically our Susan Collins.

Earmarks, baby.

Pelosi supports SALT relief; why would she use earmarks to kill it?  And why would Biden pick this as a hill to die on, regardless of his views on the issues?  Why would it matter to him that much?

"Relief" lmao. Because Biden can probably get everything he wants here. No adjustments to SALT and more infrastructure to buy off the suburbanites. Plus, I really don't see this playing well with most senators. Other than Manchin, I can absolutely see someone like Sanders throwing a fit over this with the go-ahead from Biden.

Passing a floor amendment after the house sends the bill over != killing the bill.

Here's the thing, it probably can.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2021, 11:22:02 PM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

No it can't, three Dems came out publicly saying they won't support it, and the vote margin right now is like 3 or 4, there are probably more who haven't come out yet, but probably will.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2021, 11:25:19 PM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

No it can't, three Dems came out publicly saying they won't support it, and the vote margin right now is like 3 or 4, there are probably more who haven't come out yet, but probably will.

Everyone will flip-flop for the right price.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2021, 11:26:21 PM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

Everyone will flip-flop for the right price.

Then why would it get taken out of the House bill, if it passed the House with it? That logic works both ways.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:18 PM »

Then why would it get taken out of the House bill, if it passed the House with it? That logic works both ways.
Because flip happen towards what Biden wants through negotiation, not the other way around.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2021, 02:24:43 AM »

Because flip happen towards what Biden wants through negotiation, not the other way around.

Well, then that begs the question: is not repealing the SALT-cap something that Biden would actively want & summarily push for behind-the-scenes as a result, or something that he & his team are passively suggesting that they'd prefer but can live without if need be? Because Swan's reporting on Axios was that Biden "doesn't plan to" repeal the cap & "is unlikely to propose" it, but just on the face of it, that sounds a lot closer to a passive "we'd rather you don't but it's not the end of the world if you do" (i.e. the perfect set-up for a situation in which Pelosi is sympathetic to repealing the cap & enough of her caucus is threatening to at least make detrimental noise without repeal) than an active "this is a dealbreaker, Joey's getting what Joey wants."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »

Well, then that begs the question: is not repealing the SALT-cap something that Biden would actively want & summarily push for behind-the-scenes as a result, or something that he & his team are passively suggesting that they'd prefer but can live without if need be? Because Swan's reporting on Axios was that Biden "doesn't plan to" repeal the cap & "is unlikely to propose" it, but just on the face of it, that sounds a lot closer to a passive "we'd rather you don't but it's not the end of the world if you do" (i.e. the perfect set-up for a situation in which Pelosi is sympathetic to repealing the cap & enough of her caucus is threatening to at least make detrimental noise without repeal) than an active "this is a dealbreaker, Joey's getting what Joey wants."

This.  SALT relief is the price some of the House Dems have set - and rather loudly at that - for voting for the bill (plus it’s clearly very important to Pelosi and Schumer).  There’s really no evidence that Biden or his inner circle care enough about this to have a serious fight over this issue, especially when it’s not clear the bill can pass the House w/o SALT relief.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2021, 10:40:19 AM »

Why is Biden against it?

That is misleading ,

No....

Yeah, I haven't been able to deduct them since they approx doubled the standard deduction and took away the exemption for yourself. Because I'd lose money if I itemized.

which is obviously not true although this year they are allowing people to deduct up to $300 of cash based charitable contributions even you itemize.

Uggh, wish I'd known about that before I did my taxes. I could have took that. Haven't been able to take the charitable deduction the last few years, for the same reason.

You can file a 1040X amended return.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2021, 02:17:39 PM »

The SALT cap is good. It used to be a goal of the Progressive Democrats caucus.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2021, 02:44:14 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2021, 02:59:53 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

Biden's Infrastructure plan will cost ~$2.2T over 10 years, or ~$220B a year (DoD budget is by the way ~$700B a year).

Repeal of the SALT cap would cost about ~$80B a year (if I understand correctly). How does Pelosi want to pay for that? Cut Biden's plan? Add to deficit?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-01/pelosi-backs-move-to-lift-salt-cap-in-biden-s-economic-program
However, repealing the cap would also supply a big tax break to high-income households. Suspending the limitation for one year would cost the government about $88.7 billion, with more than half of the benefits flowing to those earning more $1 million a year, according to the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »

Biden's Infrastructure plan will cost ~$2.2T over 10 years, or ~$220B a year (DoD budget is by the way ~$700B a year).

Repeal of the SALT cap would cost about ~$80B a year (if I understand correctly). How does Pelosi want to pay for that? Cut Biden's plan? Add to deficit?

However, repealing the cap would also supply a big tax break to high-income households. Suspending the limitation for one year would cost the government about $88.7 billion, with more than half of the benefits flowing to those earning more $1 million a year, according to the non-partisan Joint Committee on Taxation.

Raising the corporate tax rate, cracking down on companies offshoring profits, & eliminating certain tax breaks for some industries. You damn well already knew that, so don't be disingenuous (at best) or a liar (at worst), & by the way: not only do you have no leg of credibility to stand on when it comes to caring about adding to the deficit after the last 4 years, but with the aforementioned tax increases incorporated elsewhere, the infrastructure package would not only pay for itself in 15 years, but would thereafter reduce the deficit, as opposed to adding to it. So, TL;DR - get the f**k off what's either your disingenuous or outright lying (& not to mention, easily, demonstrably & provably wrong) high horse.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2021, 03:25:26 PM »

Raising the corporate tax rate, cracking down on companies offshoring profits, & eliminating certain tax breaks for some industries. You damn well already knew that, so don't be disingenuous (at best) or a liar (at worst), & by the way: not only do you have no leg of credibility to stand on when it comes to caring about adding to the deficit after the last 4 years, but with the aforementioned tax increases incorporated elsewhere, the infrastructure package would not only pay for itself in 15 years, but would thereafter reduce the deficit, as opposed to adding to it. So, TL;DR - get the f**k off what's either your disingenuous or outright lying (& not to mention, easily, demonstrably & provably wrong) high horse.

See? Democrats closed the schools, and some already are worse at reading (kids) and have anxiety problems (kids and parents).
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Biden proposed ~$2.2T plan and how one will pay for that. Pelosi want to repeal the SALT cap, which would additional ~$80B a year.

My first post had a mistake though. Biden propose to pay for it over 15 years, not 10. So it will cost ~140B a year, not 220B.

That means that Pelosi wants to increase the cost of Biden's Plan by almost 60% (~$80B a year.). How does she want to pay for that?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2021, 03:55:14 PM »

See? Democrats closed the schools, and some already are worse at reading (kids) and have anxiety problems (kids and parents).
Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Biden proposed ~$2.2T plan and how one will pay for that. Pelosi want to repeal the SALT cap, which would additional ~$80B a year.

My first post had a mistake though. Biden propose to pay for it over 15 years, not 10. So it will cost ~140B a year, not 220B.

That means that Pelosi wants to increase the cost of Biden's Plan by almost 60% (~$80B a year.). How does she want to pay for that?

Talk about somebody not knowing how to read:

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2021, 03:57:55 PM »

Are we seriously going to allow this bill to get bogged down over SALT when this is the last, best opportunity to invest in our infrastructure, among our other priorities? 
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2021, 04:44:16 PM »

https://www.axios.com/biden-salt-tax-deduction-a8213dd1-7609-4fe8-bc5a-8ee0f9848187.html

Senior Biden officials have soured on SALT deductions for two main reasons: It would undercut their working-class message and would cost them a fortune.

Reinstating SALT would reduce revenues by an estimated $70 billion to $80 billion a year, roughly half the annual amount that Biden has proposed to raise by hiking corporate rates.

White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters on Thursday that eliminating SALT "is not a revenue raiser ... it would cost more money," but if Democrats "want to propose a way to pay for it, and they want to put that forward, we are happy to hear their ideas.”

Psaki wonders, too, how Dems are gonna pay for that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #172 on: April 03, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

Pelosi supports SALT relief; why would she use earmarks to kill it?  And why would Biden pick this as a hill to die on, regardless of his views on the issues?  Why would it matter to him that much?

That might not be true if Democratic leadership was a little more willing to play hardball. If they can get everyone but Collin Peterson on board for impeachment, they can manage this. There are better uses of their political capital, of course, but there are also worse uses, and they actively pursue these from time to time.

This is a reliable, progressive revenue generator that is already in place and not beset by loopholes. Good federal governance is rare enough, so where it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #173 on: April 03, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

Pelosi supports SALT relief; why would she use earmarks to kill it?  And why would Biden pick this as a hill to die on, regardless of his views on the issues?  Why would it matter to him that much?

That might not be true if Democratic leadership was a little more willing to play hardball. If they can get everyone but Collin Peterson on board for impeachment, they can manage this. There are better uses of their political capital, of course, but there are also worse uses, and they actively pursue these from time to time.

This is a reliable, progressive revenue generator that is already in place and not beset by loopholes. Good federal governance is rare enough, so where it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Playing hardball isn’t the issue; the House Democratic leadership strongly supports SALT relief.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2021, 07:45:43 AM »

“Changes”

Earmarks, baby.

Playing hardball isn’t the issue; the House Democratic leadership strongly supports SALT relief.

That is an example of misuse of political capital (which undermines their electability claims).

The Biden administration does not support it, and so should push them. The base will polarise more easily around the president's position than the Speaker's.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies