Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:25:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 246585 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »

Passing an infrastructure bill this early would be a pretty major victory for the Democratic Party in snubbing Trump. Let’s go boyos
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2021, 03:24:13 PM »

Pelosi just said yesterday that she hopes to do it, so unless Biden's threatening to veto (which is, y'know, lol), this doesn't actually stop Congress from just adding the proposal in on their own.

I wish Pelosi was fighting as hard to keep schools open (benefits the "backbone" of D) rather than against SALT cap (benefits the top 1%, aka Donors of the Pelosi).

https://itep.org/salt-cap-repeal-has-no-place-in-covid-19-legislation-national-and-state-by-state-data/

https://i.imgflip.com/546p3t.jpg

$170B worth of facts don't care about your feelings.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »

Pelosi just said yesterday that she hopes to do it, so unless Biden's threatening to veto (which is, y'know, lol), this doesn't actually stop Congress from just adding the proposal in on their own.

That requires it to get through senate reconciliation untouched. And I'd be pretty surprised if Manchin or whatever didn't kill it there.

Manchin won’t kill it lol

Why on earth wouldn't Manchin touch SALT? The GOP could bring up a floor amendment to just SALT and he could vote yes. He forced changes to the stimulus bill, after all.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2021, 03:33:38 PM »

That requires it to get through senate reconciliation untouched. And I'd be pretty surprised if Manchin or whatever didn't kill it there.

Why on earth wouldn't Manchin touch SALT? The GOP could bring up a floor amendment to just SALT and he could vote yes. He forced changes to the stimulus bill, after all.

“Changes”

Manchin isn’t going to force the removal of something the Democratic congressional leadership cares about, he’s basically our Susan Collins.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:02 PM »

“Changes”

Manchin isn’t going to force the removal of something the Democratic congressional leadership cares about, he’s basically our Susan Collins.

Yeah, except for the part where Biden wants it removed.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2021, 03:38:21 PM »

“Changes”

I mean the votes are in the House to kill it, if it isn't included, maybe they agree to raise the cap to a level where only the truly wealthy are affected, like say $70k or so.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2021, 03:39:22 PM »

I wish Pelosi was fighting as hard to keep schools open (benefits the "backbone" of D) rather than against SALT cap (benefits the top 1%, aka Donors of the Pelosi).

https://itep.org/salt-cap-repeal-has-no-place-in-covid-19-legislation-national-and-state-by-state-data/

https://i.imgflip.com/546p3t.jpg

$170B worth of facts don't care about your feelings.

Unfortunately,it seems, you have problem with basic reasoning.

As it seems right now, most (D) public schools won't open until fall. Despite science saying you could have done it safe. Because Pelosi & Dems caved for Teach Unions or whatever.

In Florida of DeSantis the schools have been open since Aug (8 months ago!!). The lack of political will of Democratic counter-parts is the reason why D hasn't followed him.

To get back to topic, here you have a map!
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2021, 03:39:24 PM »

“Changes”

I mean the votes are in the House to kill it, if it isn't included, maybe they agree to raise the cap to a level where only the truly wealthy are affected, like say $60k or so.

"true wealthy"

Face it dude, you're rich. Your parents deserve to pay more.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2021, 03:39:57 PM »

“Changes”

Yeah but now he has the same position as Biden.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »

“Changes”

Biden isn’t gonna push to have it removed, especially when the bill probably can’t pass the House without it.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 04:06:04 PM by Vaccinated Russian Bear »

I mean the votes are in the House to kill it, if it isn't included, maybe they agree to raise the cap to a level where only the truly wealthy are affected, like say $70k or so.

Man, the following caclulations are probably somewhat misleading, but it is what it is. $4. Ok, may be $400.

https://www.crfb.org/blogs/repealing-salt-caps-would-cost-another-500-billion

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2021, 03:54:43 PM »

“Changes”

especially when the bill probably can’t pass the House without it.

Earmarks, baby.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2021, 03:56:38 PM »

Man, the following caclulations are probably somewhat misleading, but it is what it is. $4. Ok, may be $40.

Ehhh the scale is a lot less lopsided in places like NJ, since we have quite high property taxes. So this isn't really accurate in that sense.

https://www.njspotlight.com/2017/10/17-10-06-interactive-map-tracking-salt-deductions-across-the-state/

Particularly look at my home county (Morris)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »

Man, the following caclulations are probably somewhat misleading, but it is what it is. $4. Ok, may be $40.

Ehhh the scale is a lot less lopsided in places like NJ, since we have quite high property taxes. So this isn't really accurate in that sense.

https://www.njspotlight.com/2017/10/17-10-06-interactive-map-tracking-salt-deductions-across-the-state/

Choices have consequences. Like, for example, choosing to own a home in an affluent Jersey burb. That doesn't mean the rest of the country should be in the business of subsidizing the upper middle class in certain states. Try convincing your local elected officials to allow you to deduct federal taxes from your state and local taxes instead.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »

Choices have consequences. Like, for example, choosing to own a home in an affluent Jersey burb. That doesn't mean the rest of the country should be in the business of subsidizing the upper middle class in certain states. Try convincing your local elected officials to allow you to deduct federal taxes from your state and local taxes instead.

Not to derail this thread too much, but this probably requires electing Republicans, who would defund our schools and our education quality would plummet, which is not ideal.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:03 PM »

1.5% of NJ population are $ Millioners vs 0.5% on average in US. Obviously, SALT cap would hit you most.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2021, 04:08:51 PM »

Not to derail this thread too much, but this probably requires electing Republicans, who would defund our schools and our education quality would plummet, which is not ideal.

At risk of further derailment, that's why school funding should be centralized and doled out from the federal level--which would significantly reduce your state and local taxes. That said, it isn't how the system works. And since NJ has the best schools in the country, you deserve to pay more for what you get. It isn't fair to the rest of the country to ask us to subsidize your dream hoarding--which in Jersey, basically takes the form of moving to an exclusive neighborhood, paying an insane amount in property taxes for a de-facto elite private school, then writing off those taxes and asking the rest of the country to pick up the slack.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2021, 04:13:29 PM »

At risk of further derailment, that's why school funding should be centralized and doled out from the federal level--which would significantly reduce your state and local taxes. That said, it isn't how the system works. And since NJ has the best schools in the country, you deserve to pay more for what you get. It isn't fair to the rest of the country to ask us to subsidize your dream hoarding--which in Jersey, basically takes the form of moving to an exclusive neighborhood, paying an insane amount in property taxes for a de-facto elite private school, then writing off those taxes and asking the rest of the country to pick up the slack.

I mean using the deduction isn't a NJ only phenomenon, per this source: https://taxfoundation.org/salt-deduction-benefit/, over 40% of people in NJ, CT, MD, and DC used the deduction and over 35% in CA, OR, MA, and MN. Those aren't negligible amounts, as for centralizing school funding, I guess that could work, but my guess is property taxes would remain high anyways to continue to fund a high level of education and make up whatever the federal government didn't fund.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2021, 04:17:49 PM »

I mean using the deduction isn't a NJ only phenomenon, per this source: https://taxfoundation.org/salt-deduction-benefit/, over 40% of people in NJ, CT, MD, and DC used the deduction and over 35% in CA, OR, MA, and MN. Those aren't negligible amounts, as for centralizing school funding, I guess that could work, but my guess is property taxes would remain high anyways to continue to fund a high level of education and make up whatever the federal government didn't fund.
We're talking about maybe $100-$200 for people earning in the six figures. That's nothing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2021, 04:19:29 PM »

Bolded the most important part. The standard deduction doubled.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »

We're talking about maybe $100-$200 for people earning in the six figures. That's nothing.

No offense, but did you see my map, people in parts of Newark claim an average of 11k, people in Paterson claim 10k, literally anyone richer than them is subject to the cap. The cap is absurdly low for New Jersey.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2021, 04:24:45 PM »

No offense, but did you see my map, people in parts of Newark claim an average of 11k, people in Paterson claim 10k, literally anyone richer than them is subject to the cap. The cap is absurdly low for New Jersey.

Yes I did. And I'm okay with that. This is Jersey's issue to fix, not America's. Congress isn't making policy just for Parsippany.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2021, 04:28:33 PM »

Yes I did. And I'm okay with that. This is Jersey's issue to fix, not America's. Congress isn't making policy just for Parsippany.

I mean I don't really think policy that is designed to hurt one particular state is good policy, and the SALT deduction cap unfairly hurts New Jersey and other similar states.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2021, 04:30:54 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2021, 04:34:06 PM by Blairite »

I mean I don't really think policy that is designed to hurt one particular state is good policy, and the SALT deduction cap unfairly hurts New Jersey and other similar states.

It only affects you more because you made specific choices with regards to taxing and spending. It's not like God declared Jersey must pay more in property taxes than the rest of the country. You decided to tax yourselves, so step up and pay.

That's basically the same as saying grocery bills unfairly hurt Whole Foods shoppers so they should be deductible from income taxes.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2021, 04:38:43 PM »

80% (i don't know the exact number) of people in Newark or Patterson don't even use the SALT deduction.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies