Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 12, 2024, 08:54:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 236
Author Topic: Biden infrastructure/tax increase megathread  (Read 248283 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2575 on: October 25, 2021, 08:16:18 AM »

Honestly, these results just show how increasingly disconnected a lot of people are from reality

70 percent think we are on the wrong track at a time when Covid has massively declined around the county and unemployment is currently at 4.8 percent and dropping.

In no way, shape or form are things even close to being as bad as they were in 2009/2010 yet you would not know that looking at those wrong track numbers. Biden theory is that he thinks passing popular bills will help the Dems in 2022 and maybe something like that would have been true 20 years ago but now I'm not so sure I buy it

I think even if Biden had the greatest economy of all time Facebook and social media would still convince a lot of people that things are worse than they have ever been

I think Biden was always going to struggle with approval ratings after his honeymoon period because Americans never fell in love with him. He was just the only Democrat acceptable to 51% of Americans.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2576 on: October 25, 2021, 08:37:53 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 08:41:24 AM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

Biden Approvals are low because he was supposed to get rid of Covid in July, they did a victory lap, but instead the Delta Varient came and went and we still have the Virus and he cut off Unemployment and UBI benefits that are still popular, because of Labor shortages, this bill would be popular if not just child tax credits were UBI we had another 1400 stimulus, everyone needs another stimulus even Seniors that have grown kids

Child tax credit help no Seniors like our parents that have no Dependent kids and D's this is the greatest stimulus bill since the Cares Act

States are giving out more Stimulus, but it's backlogged, Newsom promised it after the Election but it's Late

Don't forget he promised to have everyone vaccinated by July and the Delta Varient, he said Trump didn't know what he was doing and he wanted his amnesty bill passed but more immigrants with Delta came into the country, Dallas lead the country with Kids with Delta, I never caught Fekta
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2577 on: October 25, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »

Honestly, these results just show how increasingly disconnected a lot of people are from reality

70 percent think we are on the wrong track at a time when Covid has massively declined around the county and unemployment is currently at 4.8 percent and dropping.

In no way, shape or form are things even close to being as bad as they were in 2009/2010 yet you would not know that looking at those wrong track numbers. Biden theory is that he thinks passing popular bills will help the Dems in 2022 and maybe something like that would have been true 20 years ago but now I'm not so sure I buy it

I think even if Biden had the greatest economy of all time Facebook and social media would still convince a lot of people that things are worse than they have ever been

I think Biden was always going to struggle with approval ratings after his honeymoon period because Americans never fell in love with him. He was just the only Democrat acceptable to 51% of Americans.

It also doesn’t help that he doesn’t have the unshakable base support (among African Americans) that Obama had.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2578 on: October 25, 2021, 08:42:45 AM »

It also doesn’t help that he doesn’t have the unshakable base support (among African Americans) that Obama had.

Biden leads in all the 304 states except AZ, VA and GA, how he doesn't have Blk support and Blks supported Newsom, how many Blk forum members sports a blue Avatar

Elder lost big time to Newsom and he was a Blk R and Warnock is beating Walker, Blks aren't Republicans, whom cost Gore and Hillary the Election Nadar and Johnson and Jill Stein voters that were White
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2579 on: October 25, 2021, 08:44:30 AM »

The media doesn't like him. He's only president because Trump really was that bad. If Biden goes the way of Carter, the only saving grace is that there isn't some Ronald Reagan out there that can enshrine a new Republican consensus.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2580 on: October 25, 2021, 09:05:35 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 09:10:27 AM by Torie »

I also don't get the emphasis on universal preschool?  What does it accomplish?  By the time the child is 3, the parents have already found a solution to the childcare issue by necessity!  

You would think paid leave would be the #1 focus, especially after COVID.
It’s not just about childcare. Every single study shows going to pre-k at age 3 and 4 gives a child a huge head start. Statistically, they are more likely to do better academically at every level even in college and earn more money. For kids with learning disabilities, it’s a huge help and can drastically catch them up. Pre-K typically costs more than just childcare that watches the kids.

Providing universal pre-k would help the economy massively, short term and long term. The money spent on child care for those two years can be spent on other things. Long term our workers are smarter and more capable

Not to cause trouble, but years ago I read that Finnish kids do best in school. When do they start the process? Yes, you guessed it: age 7.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/09/10-reasons-why-finlands-education-system-is-the-best-in-the-world

You may now return to your regular programming.

Oh, because I'm old, it's time for yet another story, so put that on hold. I was spending six months with my grandparents in Iowa because my mother had just given birth to my younger brother and I was incorrigible and my mother just could not handle it. So I was shipped off to Davenport to give her time to recover and attend to brother Jon. Anyway, I was 4 years old, and placed in yes, a preschool! Apparently I found the place infra dig, silly and well juvenile, for a kid of my level of gravitas, so I announced one morning that I was not going.

Grandmother turned to me, and said, Torie, it's your job to go to school, just like it is your grandfather's job to go to the hospital and tend to his patients (he was a surgeon), and my job to take care of the house and prepare meals and take care of your both. A light flashed on in my brain. Yes, that makes sense! It's my job! We all have jobs! Just because the job sucks does not mean that one can malinger. That is not the way it works under the laws of Newtonian physics, at least prior to the cradle to grave welfare state. So without saying another word, I picked up my things and walked out the door to go to that silly school. Yes, this was before the era of pedophiles and paranoid parents, so grandmother let me walk to school at 4 years old. How many parents would do that now?

Grandmother told me about this incident some 30 years later (she lived to be 99). She was very impressed that after hearing "her case," I just left without saying another word (that last aspect of saying nothing further almost never happened again I might add). I told her it was one* of my very earliest memories that was still vivid in my mind (in particular that aha moment, and my ensuing silence which was done deliberately, as a way to emphasize to grandma just how persuasively dispositive I found the case she had made to be).

*The other vivid memory from this period, probably at age 3 with no baby Jon in play), was losing a 50 cent piece that I found in the sand at the beach, and then when walking over some rocks at high tide back to the parking lot at Zuma Beach in Malibu, it  dropped out of my chubby avaricious hand, and was lost in the rocks and sucked back out in a wave. I freaked out. My fortune was lost! My mother sharing with me the cliche that what the sea giveith, the sea can takeith away, did not appease me this time. That aspect of Newtonian physics sucked!

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2581 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:18 AM »

The media doesn't like him. He's only president because Trump really was that bad. If Biden goes the way of Carter, the only saving grace is that there isn't some Ronald Reagan out there that can enshrine a new Republican consensus.

Well, it doesn't take a new Raygun to accomplish that. Trump or DeathSantis could already win with 46-47% of the NPV and razor thin margins in a group of battlegrounds. Not saying Biden is doomed, he for sure isn't and anyone saying so in late 2021 is a hack, but it's something we need to consider.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2582 on: October 25, 2021, 09:39:26 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2021, 09:43:44 AM by Mr. MANDELA BARNES »

Biden Approvals are low because he promised by July the Ds would crush Covid that's what the 1.9T was supposed to do UBI benefits, instead, with the Varient virus it created Labor shortages and Dependent on Social Security benefits as source of income, instead of ticket to work, and it fostered a dependency on Entitlements,

Ticket to work in 2019/ was very popular before Covid

Biden and Newsom who. Newsom promised stimulus checks to after the Election didn't know the Delta Varient was gonna happen, we supposed to be out of masks by now and we're not, Biden said Trump didn't know what he was doing by letting virus spread

Now, DS were handed a setback in amnesty in part of the Delta virus which started in Dallas TX, am esty isn't the solution to our problems, we had the lowest illegal immigrants under Trump and we caught Covid

That's why RS are against another Spending proposal
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2583 on: October 25, 2021, 10:00:05 AM »

Well, it doesn't take a new Raygun to accomplish that. Trump or DeathSantis could already win with 46-47% of the NPV and razor thin margins in a group of battlegrounds. Not saying Biden is doomed, he for sure isn't and anyone saying so in late 2021 is a hack, but it's something we need to consider.

In a realistic worse case scenario, Republicans will have the margins in both houses they had in 2014 (perhaps even 1 or 2 more senate seats) and the WH they won with perhaps Obama's margins in 2012 on 1/20/25. It would probably be the most conservative Government since the original Gilded Age. Would that necessarily mean there's a realignment? No. Maybe if Republicans could get a senate Supermajority, we would be talking but even Obama couldn't do that.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2584 on: October 25, 2021, 11:42:07 AM »

In a realistic worse case scenario, Republicans will have the margins in both houses they had in 2014 (perhaps even 1 or 2 more senate seats) and the WH they won with perhaps Obama's margins in 2012 on 1/20/25. It would probably be the most conservative Government since the original Gilded Age. Would that necessarily mean there's a realignment? No. Maybe if Republicans could get a senate Supermajority, we would be talking but even Obama couldn't do that.
Would it be any different than the Republican trifecta from 2017-2019?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2585 on: October 25, 2021, 11:54:53 AM »

Probably. The Republican party is far more cultish toward Trump nowadays.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2586 on: October 25, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »

Same time, McConnell is far more hostile to Trump now

McConnell got what he wanted from the Trump administration. Far right judges across the country and tax cuts that probably won't be reversed any time soon.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2587 on: October 25, 2021, 12:23:07 PM »

Same time, McConnell is far more hostile to Trump now

McConnell got what he wanted from the Trump administration. Far right judges across the country and tax cuts that probably won't be reversed any time soon.

So even if Trump had 56 R Senators and 250 Representatives and having won everything up to almost Colorado, he wouldn't be able to get the 1987 tax code, a block granting of SSI and Medicare, a national RTW, a repeal of Obamacare, or Bush's Social Security Plan?

If I were in their situation, I would do Taxes, Social Security, and Obamacare in that order.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2588 on: October 25, 2021, 01:10:09 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/578308-manchin-says-framework-should-be-possible-this-week

Manchin says that a framework should be decided upon this week.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2589 on: October 25, 2021, 02:04:07 PM »

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/578319-manchin-shutting-down-sanders-on-medicare-expansion

Manchin still not sold on Medicare expansion.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2590 on: October 25, 2021, 03:37:05 PM »

If Sanders can actually convince Manchin to get Medicare expansion into this bill, I will give him credit, it will easily be his biggest positive accomplishment across his entire career.

However, knowing Sanders, I would expect the odds of that to be vanishingly low.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2591 on: October 25, 2021, 04:57:24 PM »

According to Fox News's Chad Pergram, Dick Durbin states that they are still trying to fit immigration reform into the bill somehow.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2592 on: October 25, 2021, 05:33:49 PM »

If Sanders can actually convince Manchin to get Medicare expansion into this bill, I will give him credit, it will easily be his biggest positive accomplishment across his entire career.

However, knowing Sanders, I would expect the odds of that to be vanishingly low.

It's a miracle that Pre K and Childcare survived.....
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2593 on: October 25, 2021, 06:09:07 PM »

I am going to take the blame on this one. I jinxed it with my post referring to paid leave literally preceding this one. Sorry, all.

It's a damn shame too, because to me this could have been one of the biggest, tangible benefits of the bill to everyday Americans, especially with the difference it could have made after going through this pandemic. It should have been a pillar of the bill, no matter how long it's offered for, that never should have been able to be demolished.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2594 on: October 25, 2021, 06:58:00 PM »

I’m now rooting against this passing

It has too many of the non tangibles in it and not enough of the major things.

What’s the point
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2595 on: October 25, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »

Guys should really back off the overreactions here, that story linked in the tweet is just Politico editorializing the Axios piece from earlier this week where someone said Medicare Expansion and Paid Family Leave are ‘influx’. Don’t freak out.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2596 on: October 25, 2021, 07:44:50 PM »

I’m now rooting against this passing

It has too many of the non tangibles in it and not enough of the major things.

What’s the point

This is why we can't have nice things.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2597 on: October 26, 2021, 04:47:44 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2598 on: October 26, 2021, 04:52:25 AM »

Yes, clearly it's Bernie's fault that Manchin doesn't like popular social programs. Stellar political analysis from GMA yet again.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2599 on: October 26, 2021, 05:01:09 AM »

Someone should remind him that it doesn't matter what he says, he's toast in 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 236  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies