Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 20155 times)
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: January 21, 2021, 02:47:04 AM »

Good luck to President Biden!
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #501 on: January 21, 2021, 07:47:28 AM »

Biden! Woohoo!

We have a woman Vice President and she's a Democrat! I always wondered whether it would be a Democrat or Republican first.

Really?

Ha, my exact reaction. Other than unelectable Palin, no woman has ever sniffed a Republican ticket, but I'm sure there will be one in the next two cycles. Probably Haley, possibly Noem.

Elizabeth Dole was widely talked up as a potential Presidential or VP candidate back in the day, but obviously that never went anywhere.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #502 on: January 21, 2021, 08:52:00 AM »

Getting back to the oval office discussion apparently the Jefferson painting was to show the "importance of opposing views". Nice shout out to the limited government crowd.

I think that was the point of including both Jefferson and Hamilton.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #503 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:56 AM »

All I can say is this on the morning of January 21: It's great to wake up in the morning and Joe Biden is President of the United States.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #504 on: January 21, 2021, 09:41:37 AM »

I woke up this morning and realized there were no longer any days to count.  I started counting down to the election at 200 days before Nov. 3.  Then I was counting down to the EC vote, Congressional certification, and the inauguration.  And now there's nothing else left to anticipate; kind of a strange but liberating feeling.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2021, 09:44:44 AM »

I woke up this morning and realized there were no longer any days to count.  I started counting down to the election at 200 days before Nov. 3.  Then I was counting down to the EC vote, Congressional certification, and the inauguration.  And now there's nothing else left to anticipate; kind of a strange but liberating feeling.

Only 656 days and 14 hours till the 2022 midterms!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2021, 09:45:50 AM »

While I anticipate swinging a bit more rightward over the next four years, I just feel immediately relieved now that Mr. Big Brain is out of the White House.  
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #507 on: January 21, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 09:57:40 AM by Twenty-fifth Amendment Solutions »

One thing I noticed watching the inauguration yesterday was how pervasively religious the whole thing was, in a nonsectarian kind of way; at points it felt like Biden was getting installed as a high priest of some sort, with the wreath-laying at Arlington as a quasi-sacrificial offering. Biden may or may not be a very good Catholic, but he's clearly a true believer in American civil religion, and that's honestly a relief at this point compared to the constant nothing-sacred impieties of his narcissist predecessor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #508 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »

While I anticipate swinging a bit more rightward over the next four years, I just feel immediately relieved now that Mr. Big Brain is out of the White House.  

The PRC had so much respect for the stable geniuses big brain that the minute he was long prez imposed sanctions on Trump officials.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #509 on: January 21, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »

The day after feels even better. Trump is gone, I woke up to an actual President in the White House. I dont agree with everything he did, but for the first time in 4 years, I can be truly proud of my country again. The coming together with Bush, Clinton, and Obama that was posted was uplifting as well. Godspeed Mr Biden. I hope you truly keep your word about uniting people.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #510 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »

One thing I noticed watching the inauguration yesterday was how pervasively religious the whole thing was, in a nonsectarian kind of way; at points it felt like Biden was getting installed as a high priest of some sort, with the wreath-laying at Arlington as a quasi-sacrificial offering. Biden may or may not be a very good Catholic, but he's clearly a true believer in American civil religion, and that's honestly a relief at this point compared to the constant nothing-sacred impieties of his narcissist predecessor.

I think he is a 'good Catholic', in a septuagenarian Catholic way. Which probably is quite alien to post-war boomer Catholicism, both liberal and traditional, certainly in how it's been 'performed' in the political-public sphere since it became sufficiently 'American' enough to do so.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #511 on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:59 AM »

Well I bought whisky and Michael shed a few tears. Gaga was exceptional J-Lo turned it out and, Michelle's and Hillary's outfits were en pointe.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #512 on: January 21, 2021, 10:40:13 AM »

I think he is a 'good Catholic', in a septuagenarian Catholic way. Which probably is quite alien to post-war boomer Catholicism, both liberal and traditional, certainly in how it's been 'performed' in the political-public sphere since it became sufficiently 'American' enough to do so.

Yes; I know someone from a very Biden-like Northeastern Irish Catholic background and she's told me many times that he reminds her intensely of her Silent Generation grandparents. And based on what I remember of my Baltimore Irish step-grandparents, I concur.

Well I bought whisky and Michael shed a few tears. Gaga was exceptional J-Lo turned it out and, Michelle's and Hillary's outfits were en pointe.

Wasn't she? I absolutely loved her outfit and hair especially.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #513 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »

So it's finally over. I do hope Republicans realize Trump was more of a symptom than the cause, but they likely won't.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #514 on: January 21, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »

So it's finally over. I do hope Republicans realize Trump was more of a symptom than the cause, but they likely won't.

Tbh, that also applies to Dems and Indpendents. Dems even need realize this more for the upcoming agenda, because if life conditions don't improve in the next years, we may end up with some one equally bad than Trump but smarter in getting harmful stuff done. I think Biden and his team understand that, but his success depends on much more. Not just elected officials, but all of us.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #515 on: January 21, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »

Tbh, that also applies to Dems and Indpendents. Dems even need realize this more for the upcoming agenda, because if life conditions don't improve in the next years, we may end up with some one equally bad than Trump but smarter in getting harmful stuff done. I think Biden and his team understand that, but his success depends on much more. Not just elected officials, but all of us.
For the last time, Trump was not elected on "economic anxiety" but on their views of race and cultural stances.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #516 on: January 21, 2021, 11:03:35 AM »

Yes; I know someone from a very Biden-like Northeastern Irish Catholic background and she's told me many times that he reminds her intensely of her Silent Generation grandparents. And based on what I remember of my Baltimore Irish step-grandparents, I concur.

Biden is the first (and only) President of the Silent Generation.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #517 on: January 21, 2021, 11:10:19 AM »

For the last time, Trump was not elected on "economic anxiety" but on their views of race and cultural stances.

It was both, tbh. Those who turned out for due to racism and cultural stances are not persudable, but let's not forget there were millions of Obama-Trump voters, especially in the Midwest. I wouldn't say all of them are racist bigots.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #518 on: January 21, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #519 on: January 21, 2021, 11:34:16 AM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.
Dog you won, why are you still mad
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #520 on: January 21, 2021, 11:35:04 AM »

Biden is the first (and only) President of the Silent Generation.

Also the first president born under FDR, even though FDR was the longest-serving president.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #521 on: January 21, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »

Are you new to this site? Gmac lives on hatred of the left. Were it not for his all consuming desire to vanquish anyone who thinks people should be able to go to the doctor without worrying about whether they'll make rent that month, he would not be able to get out of bed in the morning.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2021, 12:05:16 PM »

Are you new to this site? Gmac lives on hatred of the left. Were it not for his all consuming desire to vanquish anyone who thinks people should be able to go to the doctor without worrying about whether they'll make rent that month, he would not be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Oh my god just shut up.  Seriously, just shut up.

If you guys think toxic populism is going to disappear just because we won the 2020 election I don't know what world you're living in.  Liars, grifters, and rotten people are still going to do everything they can to undermine the Democratic Party and destroy this country.

We won a battle.  Nobody went to Lincoln after Gettysburg and said "lol why are you still fighting bro you won."
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #523 on: January 21, 2021, 12:37:37 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oregon-s-democratic-party-offices-vandalized-amid-post-inauguration-protests-n1255118

So black bloc continues to do its thing

Portland police said some of the group of about 150 people carried weapons "including Molotov cocktails, knives, batons, chemical spray and a crowbar."

Some members of the crowd met in southeast Portland before heading to the Democratic Party offices dressed in black and carrying banners reading, "We don't want Biden, we want revenge! For police murders, imperialist wars and fascist massacres," and "We are ungovernable," according to a photo published by The Oregonian.

Federal officers declared an unlawful assembly and used munitions and tear gas to disperse demonstrators, according to KGW's Devon Haskins, who was on the scene.

Scattered protests also took place in downtown Seattle, Washington, where multiple locations, including a Starbucks storefront and the William Kenzo Nakamura Courthouse, were also vandalized, the Seattle Police Department reported.

I'm so glad I grew up by Chicago and not these sh*thole cities. Portland and Seattle seem like genuinely awful places to live from how insufferable these people are.

And also LOL @ anyone who ever associated these people with the Democratic Party.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #524 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38:48 PM »

These lily white Portland and Seattle leftists are so cringe.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies