Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 19067 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2021, 06:30:02 AM »

About time for this thread.

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 07:14:03 AM »

Second gentleman has a good walk-on song. I'm a little impressed. (New Radicals - "Get What You Give")
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »

Is it just me or are they really pushing Harris/pumping her up in a way that hasn’t been done for prior VPs? I feel like she’s getting a lot more equal billing than Pence did for Trump or Obama did for Biden.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »

Glad to see Biden inaugurated, someone whom will take Covid seriously, not just ignore it.

Trump knew that Biden won, but he felt he can overturn the results
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 10:08:32 AM »

Is it just me or are they really pushing Harris/pumping her up in a way that hasn’t been done for prior VPs? I feel like she’s getting a lot more equal billing than Pence did for Trump or Obama did for Biden.

I'm getting that vibe.

Assuming Biden isn't running again, this is their chance to start the 2024 campaign on day one. HRC struggled with the nation's expectations of a President, and giving Harris a role in the ceremonial side of things makes it easier to envision her as a future commander in chief.

Additionally, there's a pretty significant chance that Harris will swear in three Dem senators (Ossoff, Warnock, Padilla) on inauguration day itself. Obviously, it's a symbolic moment, with Harris both being the first woman to swear in any US senator, and cementing the new Democratic majority in the process.

If it happens on inauguration day though, it suggests that the 2020 election was as much about electing a President of the Senate, as it was about electing a President of the United States, which is a fascinating change of tone from past inaugurations.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »

She's still bitter lmao

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 11:02:17 AM »

She's still bitter lmao

She is....unique
Chickpeas
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 11:07:25 AM »

Any word on who will be administering the oath of office to Kamala Harris yet?

I imagine there may be a desire for a woman to administer the oath to the first woman Vice President. If that's the case either Sonia Sotomayor or Elena Kagan make sense if a Supreme Court justice is chosen. I think we can rule out Amy Coney Barrett.

I was looking back through recent inaugurations and noticed Cheney chose Speaker Dennis Hastert to administer the oath to him in 2005. Perhaps Nancy Pelosi will be asked as there would be great symbolism with the first woman Speaker administering the oath to the first woman Vice President.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »

I imagine there may be a desire for a woman to administer the oath to the first woman Vice President. If that's the case either Sonia Sotomayor or Elena Kagan make sense if a Supreme Court justice is chosen. I think we can rule out Amy Coney Barrett.

I was looking back through recent inaugurations and noticed Cheney chose Speaker Dennis Hastert to administer the oath to him in 2005. Perhaps Nancy Pelosi will be asked as there would be great symbolism with the first woman Speaker administering the oath to the first woman Vice President.

Sotomayor administered the vice-presidential oath to Biden back in 2013, so it's possible she may be brought back to do so for Harris this time.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 11:14:54 AM »

Been waiting to see Joe Biden inaugurated since 2003. This has been the longest edging session of my life. Can’t wait for January the 20th.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 11:58:38 AM »

Do we know who the Designated Survivor will be? Last time it was Orrin Hatch as prez pro tem, but Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP. In 2009, it was  Robert Gates as Defense secretary, whom Obama retained from W. This time, Nancy Pelosi would make most sense.
compucomp

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 12:37:00 PM »

National Guard has authorized 25K troops for the inauguration. That's almost 2 divisions. I'm not concerned at all anymore about the "MAGA army" marching on Washington, if they try, it will be the most one sided battle of all time.

https://www.nationalguard.mil/Resources/Press-Releases/Article/2474123/25k-authorized-50-states-three-territories-and-dc-supporting-presidential-inaug/

The Defense Department has agreed to provide up to 25,000 service members to support the Presidential Inauguration National Special Security Event federal law enforcement mission and security preparations, as led by the U.S. Secret Service. The Department of the Army and the National Guard Bureau are working on a sourcing solution now to support this request.

Every state, territory and the District of Columbia will have National Guard men and women supporting the inauguration.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2021, 12:45:20 PM »

She's still bitter lmao

Ah yes, the white hot starpower of

*checks notes*

Cornel West
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2021, 01:11:56 PM »

She's still bitter lmao

(She also spelled Ari's name wrong Angry)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2021, 01:15:45 PM »

Do we know who the Designated Survivor will be? Last time it was Orrin Hatch as prez pro tem, but Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP. In 2009, it was  Robert Gates as Defense secretary, whom Obama retained from W. This time, Nancy Pelosi would make most sense.

I would assume this isn't announced in advance.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 01:22:55 PM »

Not to mention, a San Francisco political icon administering the oath to another San Francisco political icon. In any event, though, I imagine that it could also be Breyer (who's never had the opportunity to swear-in a VP), as a sort-of hat tip to his presumably impending retirement. However, if they wanna opt for a justice while also taking COVID concerns (i.e. picking a younger justice) into consideration, then I imagine it'll be Kagan (who's also never sworn-in a VP).

I would assume this isn't announced in advance.

The person is announced in advance, but their location during the proceedings will obviously remain undisclosed. In any event, Pelosi - as Speaker - actually has somewhat of a role to play in the ceremonial proceedings (being among the many who are with the President-elect when or around the time that they come outside), so it'll probably be Chuck Grassley &/or some uncontroversial outgoing Cabinet secretary like Energy Secretary Dan Brouillette.
Splash
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 02:14:10 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 02:30:56 PM »

My prediction was correct!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 02:37:54 PM »

With this announcement, it seems like it probably would've been RBG doing this had she still been alive.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 02:41:30 PM »

She's still bitter lmao

How does she get tilted about this but not even for the right thing?

At least Fall Out Boy was good for some of their old stuff, like Take This to Your Grave. AJR is objectively bad. If you like them, you're actually mistaken. You think they suck.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 02:56:25 PM »

She's still bitter lmao

She’s gotta be one of the worst hires for a presidential campaign ever. Just a straight up clown.
Splash
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2021, 07:15:50 PM »

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2021, 07:27:10 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2021, 07:33:40 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

What am I looking forward to? Trump no longer being President, of course, and instead having a competent, qualified, sane, adult President who actually takes his Oath of Office seriously and cares about people other than himself.

Still though, I was eagerly looking forward to inauguration day but am now a bit uneasy about it after the Capitol riots. I really hope nothing goes wrong and that preparations are in better shape. I don't want it to get ugly and overshadow what a hopeful moment this should be.

Also Fall Out Boy sucks. I'm a little disappointed. That doesn't mean that the acts Joy Gray brought up are much better. I mean, Emily Ratajkowski and Cornel West? Though I do have a guilty pleasure soft spot for Ariana Grande, and find Dua Lipa quite enjoyable to look at.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 09:37:35 PM »

I know this tweet was posted here because she worked for Bernie (This forum will never stop posting #BernieBro tweets).

But Will.I.Am? Overrated hack and hasn't been relevant since 2008
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2021, 09:42:22 PM »

I know this tweet was posted here because she worked for Bernie (This forum will never stop posting #BernieBro tweets).

It was posted here because it was semi-relevant and because she is the single most bitter person I have ever seen in politics and thus making fun of her is an appropriate use of time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies