Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:39:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 19432 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oregon-s-democratic-party-offices-vandalized-amid-post-inauguration-protests-n1255118

So black bloc continues to do its thing

Portland police said some of the group of about 150 people carried weapons "including Molotov cocktails, knives, batons, chemical spray and a crowbar."

Some members of the crowd met in southeast Portland before heading to the Democratic Party offices dressed in black and carrying banners reading, "We don't want Biden, we want revenge! For police murders, imperialist wars and fascist massacres," and "We are ungovernable," according to a photo published by The Oregonian.

Federal officers declared an unlawful assembly and used munitions and tear gas to disperse demonstrators, according to KGW's Devon Haskins, who was on the scene.

Scattered protests also took place in downtown Seattle, Washington, where multiple locations, including a Starbucks storefront and the William Kenzo Nakamura Courthouse, were also vandalized, the Seattle Police Department reported.

I'm so glad I grew up by Chicago and not these sh*thole cities. Portland and Seattle seem like genuinely awful places to live from how insufferable these people are.

And also LOL @ anyone who ever associated these people with the Democratic Party.

These folks aside, I loved loved both Portland and Seattle when I visited. 

(Plus I got hit on several times in Portland, so extra points there.) 
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #526 on: January 21, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »

Do these blackblock people even vote? I believe Oregon and Washington have high voter turnouts. Anyway these blackblock are extremely cringe and with Trump out of office, they won't be tolerated whatsoever
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #527 on: January 21, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.
Dog you won, why are you still mad

Are you new to this site? Gmac lives on hatred of the left. Were it not for his all consuming desire to vanquish anyone who thinks people should be able to go to the doctor without worrying about whether they'll make rent that month, he would not be able to get out of bed in the morning.

Oh my god just shut up.  Seriously, just shut up.

If you guys think toxic populism is going to disappear just because we won the 2020 election I don't know what world you're living in.  Liars, grifters, and rotten people are still going to do everything they can to undermine the Democratic Party and destroy this country.

We won a battle.  Nobody went to Lincoln after Gettysburg and said "lol why are you still fighting bro you won."

In your view, "rotten people" are people who want to change the broken health system and are against the military blowing up hospitals and weddings. That's a truly sad view of the world, and it's a shame you can't go one day into a new presidency without railing against some fabricated monster of the left you've built in your mind.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #528 on: January 21, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »

There's some weird alternate reality out there where it is still Joe Biden getting inaugurated this week, but it's after eight years of President Romney.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #529 on: January 21, 2021, 01:47:58 PM »

In your view, "rotten people" are people who want to change the broken health system and are against the military blowing up hospitals and weddings.

it's a shame you can't go one day into a new presidency without railing against some fabricated monster of the left you've built in your mind.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #530 on: January 21, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.

Are you new to this site? Gmac lives on hatred of the left. Were it not for his all consuming desire to vanquish anyone who thinks people should be able to go to the doctor without worrying about whether they'll make rent that month, he would not be able to get out of bed in the morning.

If you guys think toxic populism is going to disappear just because we won the 2020 election I don't know what world you're living in.  Liars, grifters, and rotten people are still going to do everything they can to undermine the Democratic Party and destroy this country.

We won a battle.  Nobody went to Lincoln after Gettysburg and said "lol why are you still fighting bro you won."

In your view, "rotten people" are people who want to change the broken health system and are against the military blowing up hospitals and weddings. That's a truly sad view of the world, and it's a shame you can't go one day into a new presidency without railing against some fabricated monster of the left you've built in your mind.

Nope, that's just you making stuff up.  You and your pals are the ones who think things like:

That the only way to fix a broken health system is M4A, and anyone who wants anything else (like universal health care, as I've advocated for on this forum thousands of times) doesn't "want to change the broken health system."

Or that the military goes around blowing up hospitals and weddings on any sort of regular basis, when we've actually done that like twice.

You're so drowned in misinformation and anger that you pick out Democrats like me as the enemy.  It's maddening.  Because you want the same things as me, and if you were to get real information and stop indulging in hatred and frustration, you could actually be a part of the movement doing some good in the world.  Instead, you and your black bloc buddies sit in a peanut gallery, surrounded by lies, chucking insults at those of us actually trying to get stuff done.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #531 on: January 21, 2021, 01:57:56 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oregon-s-democratic-party-offices-vandalized-amid-post-inauguration-protests-n1255118

Portland police said some of the group of about 150 people carried weapons "including Molotov cocktails, knives, batons, chemical spray and a crowbar."

Some members of the crowd met in southeast Portland before heading to the Democratic Party offices dressed in black and carrying banners reading, "We don't want Biden, we want revenge! For police murders, imperialist wars and fascist massacres," and "We are ungovernable," according to a photo published by The Oregonian.

Federal officers declared an unlawful assembly and used munitions and tear gas to disperse demonstrators, according to KGW's Devon Haskins, who was on the scene.

Scattered protests also took place in downtown Seattle, Washington, where multiple locations, including a Starbucks storefront and the William Kenzo Nakamura Courthouse, were also vandalized, the Seattle Police Department reported.

I'm so glad I grew up by Chicago and not these sh*thole cities. Portland and Seattle seem like genuinely awful places to live from how insufferable these people are.

And also LOL @ anyone who ever associated these people with the Democratic Party.

I've lived in Seattle for almost a decade and I love it.  I am planning to move to Bellevue soon if the city governance doesn't improve, though.

Most of the people here are OK but we're way too indulging of the worst people in our society.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #532 on: January 21, 2021, 02:21:36 PM »

You can't judge a city by some of its worst members. Most people here are not like that, and while Seattle is definitely overpriced, it's far from a "sh*thole city."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #533 on: January 21, 2021, 02:26:07 PM »

Portland (the fake one) and Seattle are the worst major cities in America, by far. Chicago, of course, is the best.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #534 on: January 21, 2021, 02:28:28 PM »

I've lived in Seattle for almost a decade and I love it.  I am planning to move to Bellevue soon if the city governance doesn't improve, though.

Most of the people here are OK but we're way too indulging of the worst people in our society.

I didn't realize Seattle indulged hardcore Trump voters.
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #535 on: January 21, 2021, 03:21:55 PM »

Nope, that's just you making stuff up.  You and your pals are the ones who think things like:

That the only way to fix a broken health system is M4A, and anyone who wants anything else (like universal health care, as I've advocated for on this forum thousands of times) doesn't "want to change the broken health system."

Or that the military goes around blowing up hospitals and weddings on any sort of regular basis, when we've actually done that like twice.

You're so drowned in misinformation and anger that you pick out Democrats like me as the enemy.  It's maddening.  Because you want the same things as me, and if you were to get real information and stop indulging in hatred and frustration, you could actually be a part of the movement doing some good in the world.  Instead, you and your black bloc buddies sit in a peanut gallery, surrounded by lies, chucking insults at those of us actually trying to get stuff done.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wech_Baghtu_wedding_party_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granai_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunduz_hospital_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azizabad_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_raid_on_Narang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruzgan_helicopter_attack
http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/07/29/un.afghan.wedding/index.html (Separate wedding attack in Uruzgan in 2002)
https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ians/coalition-bombing-killed-64-civilians-in-syria-last-week-report-115050401033_1.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/20/world/11-civilians-reported-killed-in-a-us-raid-in-afghanistan.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damadola_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenagai_airstrike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granai_airstrike

Given, not all of these are hospitals or weddings. But to downplay the death toll American imperialism has wrought on the people of Afghanistan, Syria, and Iraq to own the Twitter commie grifters betrays a serious amount of immaturity on your part.

Anyway, I'm keeping optimistic about Biden's presidency. I will be critical of him when it is necessary, and I agree that it is premature and ineffective to jump on him now when he's barely been in office.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #536 on: January 21, 2021, 03:44:01 PM »

I see, so the only wedding party bombings you can find are from the Bush Administration, and the only hospital bombing you could find was a mistake (the Afghans said it was the Taliban) that Obama apologized for.  But I guess your side's constant attacks on Biden and the "Democratic establishment" are all about holding Biden accountable to make sure he doesn't bomb hospitals and wedding parties.

Or wait, are we shifting the goalposts so that literally any civilian casualties are "the death toll of American imperialism"?  Uh, have you seen what the guys we're fighting over there do on a daily basis?  Do you think fewer civilians would die if the United States left Afghanistan?  It would take about a week for ISIS or the Taliban to move in and murder more civilians than have died in all the accidental civilian bombings combined.

I mean we can see how well that went in ISIS-occupied Iraq, and how well it's going in Syria.  Also it's a good thing American imperialism was curtailed during the Korean War and we weren't allowed to take over North Korea.  That little experiment is going great as well.  Just such a shame that "American imperialism" was allowed to prevail in South Korea.  Or Japan.  Or Taiwan.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #537 on: January 21, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »

I see, so the only wedding party bombings you can find are from the Bush Administration, and the only hospital bombing you could find was a mistake (the Afghans said it was the Taliban) that Obama apologized for.  But I guess your side's constant attacks on Biden and the "Democratic establishment" are all about holding Biden accountable to make sure he doesn't bomb hospitals and wedding parties.

Or wait, are we shifting the goalposts so that literally any civilian casualties are "the death toll of American imperialism"?  Uh, have you seen what the guys we're fighting over there do on a daily basis?  Do you think fewer civilians would die if the United States left Afghanistan?  It would take about a week for ISIS or the Taliban to move in and murder more civilians than have died in all the accidental civilian bombings combined.

I mean we can see how well that went in ISIS-occupied Iraq, and how well it's going in Syria.  Also it's a good thing American imperialism was curtailed during the Korean War and we weren't allowed to take over North Korea.  That little experiment is going great as well.  Just such a shame that "American imperialism" was allowed to prevail in South Korea.  Or Japan.  Or Taiwan.

Your argument boils down to "well, at least we're not as bad as the taliban so we should continue wasting trillions on foreign conflict forever."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #538 on: January 21, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »

One of the areas trump did a really good job in was economic policy
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #539 on: January 21, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.

One of the areas trump did a really good job one of the worst jobs in was economic policy
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #540 on: January 21, 2021, 04:00:12 PM »

Anyone who voted for Trump because of "economic anxiety" is a f---ing moron.  Trump was an idiot blowhard with absolutely no economic knowledge/experience and zero interest in changing that.  You might as well elect a baboon for president because it has "they took our jerbs" shaved on its chest.

That said, I've never believed the "economic anxiety" thing.  I always felt that Trump's election was by and large a cultural phenomenon.  People really learned to hate Hillary.  People really learned to think Trump was quirky and interesting and "hey let's give him a chance."  People really bought into all these lies and conspiracy theories propagated on the internet by the extremists on both sides.

Also, I guarantee you that even if Biden walks on water and enacts his entire agenda, there will still be plenty of people who run around saying he got nothing done.  Or people who misrepresent what he did to blame all the problems in the world on him.  Or people who just constantly move the goalposts to say he "didn't do enough."  Or people who highlight the handful of bad things that happened under his presidency, ignore all the good things, and use that to declare him evil.  They're dishonest actors and their opinions shouldn't matter.  They should also be degraded regularly for being assholes who poison the public discourse.  I'm talking people like Glenn Greenwald, or Briahna Joy Gray, or the CHAZ morons who were wandering around my neighborhood of Capitol Hill in Seattle last night looking for people celebrating things fundamentally changing so they could try to ruin our days with the "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden quote.  Or the sorry Bernout son-of-a-bitch behind that "Has Biden Done Anything Yet" Twitter account.

One of the areas trump did a really good job one of the worst jobs in was economic policy

Uh no , Trump economic policies when it came to taxes and regulations where great and if you want to blame him for the recession then you have to give him credit for the recovery which was much better than the recovery after the Great Recession
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #541 on: January 21, 2021, 04:04:12 PM »

Uh no , Trump economic policies when it came to taxes and regulations where great and if you want to blame him for the recession then you have to give him credit for the recovery which was much better than the recovery after the Great Recession

The recovery was atrocious and one of the biggest redistributions of wealth from the middle and working classes to the ultra rich since Reagan. Actually it was probably far bigger. Trump's economy was already riddled with flaws before COVID, COVID blew them all wide open like a shot gun.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #542 on: January 21, 2021, 04:04:26 PM »

What recovery? Trump is leaving office with a net loss of jobs.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #543 on: January 21, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »

The inauguration is over and you guys can't behave anyways, So locking it.  Smile
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies