Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:07:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 19389 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2021, 07:01:22 PM »

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #451 on: January 20, 2021, 07:41:52 PM »

Trump's White House chief usher has been fired.
From CNN's Kate Bennett

White House chief usher Timothy Harleth has been fired by the Bidens, two sources with knowledge confirm to CNN.

Harleth was hired by Melania Trump in 2017 to fill the role of chief usher. Harleth came to the White House from Trump International Hotel DC, where he was rooms manager.

Harleth took the place of Angella Reid, who was hired during the Obama administration.

Chief ushers can stay through multiple administrations, however Harleth’s firing did not come as a surprise to several sources inside the White House.

CNN has reached out to the first lady's office for comment.

Edit to add ...

Wow. On Day 1 even.
Is it not normal for people to be informed ahead of time?
I'm wondering if some of the staff, quickly went to Jill/Joe about some of the things Harleth may have said and done, and the Bidens in disgust, fired him on the spot.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #452 on: January 20, 2021, 07:43:38 PM »

Trump's White House chief usher has been fired.
From CNN's Kate Bennett

White House chief usher Timothy Harleth has been fired by the Bidens, two sources with knowledge confirm to CNN.

Harleth was hired by Melania Trump in 2017 to fill the role of chief usher. Harleth came to the White House from Trump International Hotel DC, where he was rooms manager.

Harleth took the place of Angella Reid, who was hired during the Obama administration.

Chief ushers can stay through multiple administrations, however Harleth’s firing did not come as a surprise to several sources inside the White House.

CNN has reached out to the first lady's office for comment.

Not surprising. Biden doesn't want anyone associated with the Trumps within the White House. And I can't blame him for it.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #453 on: January 20, 2021, 07:47:37 PM »

I might not agree with Joe Biden on anything, but he seems like a really decent person who knows what it like to be kind and compassionate to other human beings.  It's refreshing having an adult in charge again.  Sadly, I went to watch the inauguration / swearing in at noon and it had already happened.  Had to watch it on youtube.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #454 on: January 20, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »

On the chief usher firing:

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #455 on: January 20, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »

Biden has a very unenviable job of cleaning up the mess Trump and the GOP left our country, but I'm glad we all at least have this day to enjoy and feel some relief. I never thought that I would actually feel as happy again about an inauguration as I did when Obama was elected.

I am especially relieved that nothing went wrong...hopefully I'm not jinxing it. I feel like it implicates Trump even more though from the Capitol ransacking. He was clearly the factor that caused a bunch of usually incompetent domestic terrorist groups, and others with similar loyalty to Trump, to come together in large numbers in one place and become incited in a way that they are clearly incapable of without him. Their bluster about raiding state capitols and the inauguration was clearly all bark and no bite, but what if Trump had held another counter-event like on Janiuary 6? That's something for you to chew on, impeachment managers!
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2021, 08:48:21 PM »

/Biden fires usher snip
Wow. On Day 1 even.

Time for me to dust this off:

After 4 years of insanity, I can't take "wow" as a serious expression of shock anymore
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2021, 09:01:33 PM »

Something something Biden has dementia
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #458 on: January 20, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »

I expect 'Biden neo-lib shill for pushing $15 minimum wage' takes by next week.

Literally hasn't even taken office yet and already NYT is running hit pieces about his use of an exercise bike while never satisfied internet lefties are creating false dichotomies between Biden posting pictures of his dog and healthcare reform.

The more things change...

Jesus Christ stop mischaracterizing me ffs, you know I'm not a rose leftie dude, I'm literally wearing a Joe Manchin shirt rn.

Ewww.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #459 on: January 20, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »

I guess she finally put her positive pants on.

She's almost the literal worst.  I hated her when she was in Congress, but she's gotten way worse since she's been governor, if you can believe that.  Part of it might be that she's a lot more visible now, though, so just a lot more exposure to her awfulness.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #460 on: January 20, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »

She's almost the literal worst.  I hated her when she was in Congress, but she's gotten way worse since she's been governor, if you can believe that.  Part of it might be that she's a lot more visible now, though, so just a lot more exposure to her awfulness.

I believe we had an exchange about her a few months ago. If you mind me asking, how is the situation in South Dakota now under her watch? I imagine it has gotten worse.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #461 on: January 20, 2021, 10:00:00 PM »

OK that fireworks show was tight af
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #462 on: January 20, 2021, 10:02:25 PM »

None of these people are celebrating the "peaceful transfer of power" or democracy, they are celebrating Orange Man gone. It's so disgusting.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #463 on: January 20, 2021, 10:07:03 PM »

It sounds like it's officially fireworks o'clock outside here too.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #464 on: January 20, 2021, 10:17:07 PM »

None of these people are celebrating the "peaceful transfer of power" or democracy, they are celebrating Orange Man gone. It's so disgusting.

Fascists being ousted is cause for celebration.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #465 on: January 20, 2021, 10:23:36 PM »

I believe we had an exchange about her a few months ago. If you mind me asking, how is the situation in South Dakota now under her watch? I imagine it has gotten worse.

It's quite bad.  She's way more interested in being on Fox News/being the next Trump than she is in being governor.  And to top it all off, she's now taking legal action to reverse the marijuana amendment passed by voters in November.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #466 on: January 20, 2021, 10:27:18 PM »

Lady Gaga is singing at this very moment.

24 minutes until Trump is over.

The A-list celebrities avoided Trump's inauguration in 2017, and they're back this year for Biden's. Trump had to get some second-rate or third-rate people to perform at his. Obama had Aretha Franklin in 2009 and Beyoncé in 2013.

Also Kelly Clarkson in 2013 (probably a slew of others both times, too, but I remember her in particular).
Yoda
United States

« Reply #467 on: January 20, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »

I know it will fall on deaf ears with you, but I was actually literally thinking during the fireworks display how trump's disgusting efforts to claim premature victory on election night, rig the election by wrecking the post office, throw out millions of legitimate votes after the election, and finally block the certification through terrorism, all ultimately FAILED, and that to me at least, this is a celebration of democracy and of the greatest nation on Earth successfully pulling off a peaceful transfer of power despite all the challenges and violence thrown at us by the unhinged right wing. After all we've been through the last four years, it really is something to sit back, reflect on, and take pride in. As trump showed, we've got a lot of work to do to protect democracy in this country, but damn if today wasn't a big victory on that road.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #468 on: January 20, 2021, 10:32:25 PM »

Lady Gaga is singing at this very moment.

24 minutes until Trump is over.

The A-list celebrities avoided Trump's inauguration in 2017, and they're back this year for Biden's. Trump had to get some second-rate or third-rate people to perform at his. Obama had Aretha Franklin in 2009 and Beyoncé in 2013.

Also Kelly Clarkson in 2013 (probably a slew of others both times, too, but I remember her in particular).

I don't remember her myself, but not surprising. As I've stated before, most of Hollywood-bar the small conservative minority-adore Obama (and Biden), while they absolutely despise Trump.

She's almost the literal worst.  I hated her when she was in Congress, but she's gotten way worse since she's been governor, if you can believe that.  Part of it might be that she's a lot more visible now, though, so just a lot more exposure to her awfulness.

It's quite bad.  She's way more interested in being on Fox News/being the next Trump than she is in being governor.  And to top it all off, she's now taking legal action to reverse the marijuana amendment passed by voters in November.

A few months ago, I watched some of Fox News out of interest. There was a state-sponsored tourism advertisement for South Dakota, in which Noem appeared. She appeared confident, and was attempting to cast a glowing picture of the state. With this pandemic ongoing as it is, I doubt anyone would want to visit there without taking precautions. And I find it something that Noem herself has somehow managed to avoid contracting the virus, at least until now.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #469 on: January 20, 2021, 10:34:12 PM »

hehe fireworks go brrrr
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #470 on: January 20, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »

oh please
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #471 on: January 20, 2021, 10:44:26 PM »

We can be happy about both. They're not mutually exclusive.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #472 on: January 20, 2021, 10:50:32 PM »

I know it will fall on deaf ears with you, but I was actually literally thinking during the fireworks display how trump's disgusting efforts to claim premature victory on election night, rig the election by wrecking the post office, throw out millions of legitimate votes after the election, and finally block the certification through terrorism, all ultimately FAILED, and that to me at least, this is a celebration of democracy and of the greatest nation on Earth successfully pulling off a peaceful transfer of power despite all the challenges and violence thrown at us by the unhinged right wing. After all we've been through the last four years, it really is something to sit back, reflect on, and take pride in. As trump showed, we've got a lot of work to do to protect democracy in this country, but damn if today wasn't a big victory on that road.

Well said.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #473 on: January 20, 2021, 11:08:50 PM »

I know that it's silly to speculate, but can y'all just imagine how big a super-spreader event today would've been had Trump won another term? Because you just know that he wouldn't have limited the audience, held a mostly virtual parade, or outright canceled the balls.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #474 on: January 20, 2021, 11:12:10 PM »

CNN is not even being subtle anymore, they are just worshipping biden lol, it is cringe, “epic fireworks” lol. I hope they actually do their jobs and hold him accountable when the time comes though, and not just make excuses for him
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies