DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:27:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 276877 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4325 on: January 14, 2021, 08:12:43 PM »

And what does that say to them, that 20%+ of their voters are brainwashed and they still lost nationally by 7 million votes?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4326 on: January 14, 2021, 08:23:46 PM »

Fair point. Had.

Also, I do hope more on the left join law enforcement. That will have the double effect of changing policing culture and help community relations while ensuring the right wing populist threat is taken seriously by those in charge of enforcing law and order. And those capitol hill police officers who assisted the terrorists should similarly be charged and tried as well.
This.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4327 on: January 14, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »

Maybe I'm missing a rules change, but I'm really failing to see what the basis is for GOP whining about the metal detectors and security screen before entering the House floor. Did the 117th Congress rules package change  the exception for members of Congress from the ban on firearms in the Capitol?

If it didn't, then the rules are the same as they've always been: members can carry their weapons in the Capitol, but not on the floor (without explicit permission from the Sergeant-at-Arms). Are the Republicans whiners claiming they've previously been violating the long-standing ban of firearms from the House chamber? If so, they should be expelled. Are they afraid to to ask the Sergeant-at-Arms for a waiver? If so, why? (I'm sure these men and women who want to carry firearms in the very chamber of the august body in which they serve are all extensively trained and regularly practiced in their use. Anything less would be grossly irresponsible.) Or is the firearms whining really a cover for something else they don't want revealed  by metal detectors? 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4328 on: January 14, 2021, 08:50:47 PM »

And whose fault is that, Nancy? You can't brainwash people and act shocked when they do crazy things.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4329 on: January 14, 2021, 08:52:33 PM »

Maybe I'm missing a rules change, but I'm really failing to see what the basis is for GOP whining about the metal detectors and security screen before entering the House floor. Did the 117th Congress rules package change  the exception for members of Congress from the ban on firearms in the Capitol?

If it didn't, then the rules are the same as they've always been: members can carry their weapons in the Capitol, but not on the floor (without explicit permission from the Sergeant-at-Arms). Are the Republicans whiners claiming they've previously been violating the long-standing ban of firearms from the House chamber? If so, they should be expelled. Are they afraid to to ask the Sergeant-at-Arms for a waiver? If so, why? (I'm sure these men and women who want to carry firearms in the very chamber of the august body in which they serve are all extensively trained and regularly practiced in their use. Anything less would be grossly irresponsible.) Or is the firearms whining really a cover for something else they don't want revealed  by metal detectors? 

None of the members I've seen mentioned firearms in their complaints about the metal detectors.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4330 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:14 PM »

How indeed, Nancy, how indeed? If only you had the opportunity to send a firm message, by, say, holding accountable the person most responsible for this chaos. If only.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4331 on: January 14, 2021, 09:12:25 PM »

Sloppy Steve. Sad!
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4332 on: January 14, 2021, 09:30:16 PM »

She was happy to stoke these people for votes until they literally tried to kill her...

If she feels so strongly about this, she should have sent a message by voting for Trump's impeachment. But alas, she did not, so I don't take much heed in what she has to say. I've lost a considerable amount of respect for Republicans because of how they've conducted themselves in response to the events of last week.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4333 on: January 14, 2021, 09:33:58 PM »

She was happy to stoke these people for votes until they literally tried to kill her...

If she feels so strongly about this, she should have sent a message by voting for Trump's impeachment. But alas, she did not, so I don't take much heed in what she has to say. I've lost a considerable amount of respect for Republicans because of how they've conducted themselves in response to the events of last week.

Honest question. Were you even remotely surprised?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4334 on: January 14, 2021, 09:35:49 PM »

Given how strongly Mace was condemning what happened at the Capitol last week, I had thought that she would vote for impeachment. I had also imagined that Brian Fitzpatrick would do so also, and that other establishment-minded Republicans, who've long been uncomfortable with Trump, would break with their party and do the same. The fact that these two, and virtually all Republican representatives who seemed to have a semblance of a conscience, bar the 10 who ultimately did vote for impeachment, did not do so, demonstrates the extent to which partisan loyalty overrides loyalty to the country for many of them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4335 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »

Given how strongly Mace was condemning what happened at the Capitol last week, I had thought that she would vote for impeachment. I had also imagined that Brian Fitzpatrick would do so also, and that other establishment-minded Republicans, who've long been uncomfortable with Trump, would break with their party and do the same. The fact that these two, and virtually all Republican representatives who seemed to have a semblance of a conscience, bar the 10 who ultimately did vote for impeachment, did not do so, demonstrates the extent to which partisan loyalty overrides loyalty to the country for many of them.

I would admit I was surprised about mace individually because of the strong statements she had made. Surprised and disappointed to be specific. Fitzpatrick didn't surprise me at all as heat knows he is on borrowed time at Best in his house seat and wants to try climbing up the ladder to run for governor or senator, for which a vote in favor impeachment would have been the kiss of death.

Overall, I'm not going to bother quoting my own post, but two days ago I said the no votes would be close to 200, in the 180s at least. I was apparently overly optimistic.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4336 on: January 14, 2021, 09:47:15 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 09:50:43 PM by Yoda »

I don't understand why members of the House need to be fined for refusing to walk through metal detectors.

Just deny entry.  Can they walk onto a plane without going thru one?

They are lawfully elected members of a national legislature, not customers conducting a transaction.

It also seems like a petty tyranny, which is why I asked about it. What conceivable safety benefit is there to scanning the bodies of every member?

Sounds to me like a lot of republican politicians as well as posters on this forum have never held a real job before. Any American who works at a large plant, factory, shipping or sorting facility, warehouse, etc has to go through a metal detector, among other measures. I got through a metal detector and I'm scanned for a temperature check automatically as I scan my ID badge every day. I do realize that these are the kinds of working/middle class jobs that most republican politicians would never come into contact with at any point in their privileged, coddled lives, so I guess it's understandable.

1. It's not a job! They are elected officials. That's a fundamentally different relationship. Are you capable of understanding that, or have we reduced all of humanity to employers, employees, and customers?

1. This argument was garbage when Santander made it and it's still garbage when you repeat it. Lawmaker is an occupation, however long it is held, the same way dishwasher is an occupation. I don't care if that occupation is classified as employee, independent contractor, or whatever. It comes with an array of special privileges and perks, to be sure, but none of these include lawmakers existing in some legal gray area where they are exempt from security rules that every other member of society must follow. And in the aftermath of last Wednesday? My God these people need to get a grip on reality.

2. You pass through security because you're a lawyer. It doesn't mean that you're any more in touch with the People than anyone else. Lots of white collar people have jobs that involve this, and lots of blue collar people never go near a metal detector. My wife has a floor job at a plant and she does not.

lol wut?

3. It's always very telling when people throw out claims about privilige that have no grounding in the conversation taking place. We've created this neat rhetorical trick that allows you to acknowledge that what you're defending is bad, but that the people getting it deserve it for some ill-defined reason related to unverifiable claims about "structures" or other vague abstractions.

If you can't see how incredibly entitled the republican members of Congress in question are in this case when they bristle indignantly at things a lot of the rest of us must do every day, I honestly don't know what to tell you. It absolutely reeks of privilege to me personally. I guess I view it as being incredibly out of touch and elitist in this case, whereas you see it as their right as Members of some Super Duper Above the Rules of Everyday Life Club. Fair enough.

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4337 on: January 14, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »

None of the members I've seen mentioned firearms in their complaints about the metal detectors.

(Your posts are often provocative, but I don't recall you descending to Trumpian reality denial before.)

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4338 on: January 14, 2021, 09:59:20 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4339 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:36 PM »

So it has come to this:

Some Democrats in Congress are worried their colleagues might kill them
House members openly accuse far-right representatives of threatening their health and safety after the Capitol riot.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4340 on: January 14, 2021, 10:40:27 PM »

So it has come to this:

House members openly accuse far-right representatives of threatening their health and safety after the Capitol riot.

Boebert, Cawthorn, and Taylor-Greene are identified in the article as being of "particular concern" (my language) to many Democrats. Boebert and Cawthorn both have carried firearms while inside the Capitol Building, and Boebert is one of several Republicans who has refused to abide by the new security procedures imposed by Pelosi. Taylor-Greene is a anti-masker and had to be forced to wear one on the House floor when the new Congress convened. What's notable is that the spokespersons for all three have denied that they harbor violent or malicious intentions towards their colleagues; those for Boebert and Taylor-Greene claim that they don't believe in QAnon.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4341 on: January 14, 2021, 11:59:25 PM »

Many left-wing twitter users are saying it's the real face of America.
They consider it as the worst country ever in the history of mankind.
Their solution is f America to be dismantled, forgotten, erased forever.

Some leftifts’ hatred for the country is distressing

This is a perfect encapsulation of the threat this country is facing. It is coming from both the left and the right and I hope reasonable people on both sides (like 80% of us) will recognize that. Let's crack down on all these freaks and end this sad episode of American history.

This enlightened centrism of “both sides” is always hilarious to see because people just want to include the side they dislike even when they have nothing to do with the occasion lmao

I don’t see the left threatening to kill politicians they dislike OR refusing to accept election results they lost but ok.

And I don't see the right going around damaging businesses and rioting on the streets.

Huh

The first part of that question begs the request for evidence of any Biden or Democratic party supporters damaging businesses. The second is just...Huh

When did I say anything about Biden or Democrats? I am talking about the mob. We need to unite and stand up against the mob no matter what form it comes in.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4342 on: January 15, 2021, 12:06:28 AM »

Many left-wing twitter users are saying it's the real face of America.
They consider it as the worst country ever in the history of mankind.
Their solution is f America to be dismantled, forgotten, erased forever.

Some leftifts’ hatred for the country is distressing

This is a perfect encapsulation of the threat this country is facing. It is coming from both the left and the right and I hope reasonable people on both sides (like 80% of us) will recognize that. Let's crack down on all these freaks and end this sad episode of American history.

This enlightened centrism of “both sides” is always hilarious to see because people just want to include the side they dislike even when they have nothing to do with the occasion lmao

I don’t see the left threatening to kill politicians they dislike OR refusing to accept election results they lost but ok.

And I don't see the right going around damaging businesses and rioting on the streets.

Huh

The first part of that question begs the request for evidence of any Biden or Democratic party supporters damaging businesses. The second is just...Huh

When did I say anything about Biden or Democrats? I am talking about the mob. We need to unite and stand up against the mob no matter what form it comes in.

You talked about the left as if it was a rather weak claim to both sides ISM or whataboutism. But I see your point and agree.

That said, if we really want to fight the mob in whatever form it comes, that means fully identifying its current form. And that is literally 90+% at this point from the far right. I'm not saying that excuses or justifies antifa jagoffs 1 iota, but like the old saying goes, know your enemy.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4343 on: January 15, 2021, 12:17:34 AM »

So it has come to this:

I think Boebert at the very least needs to be thrown out of congress.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4344 on: January 15, 2021, 12:22:33 AM »

Pretty sad when you're the President of the United States and only Steve Bannon will return your calls.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4345 on: January 15, 2021, 12:30:55 AM »

Pelosi ought to investigate Cawthorn, Boebert, and Taylor-Greene at minimum to get to the bottom of this. If a long time representative is making known to the public he is afraid for his life by his colleagues then there needs to be a deep and thorough investigation. He wouldn’t go out and say this if he and others didn’t truly believe it
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4346 on: January 15, 2021, 01:42:55 AM »

Pelosi ought to investigate Cawthorn, Boebert, and Taylor-Greene at minimum to get to the bottom of this. If a long time representative is making known to the public he is afraid for his life by his colleagues then there needs to be a deep and thorough investigation. He wouldn’t go out and say this if he and others didn’t truly believe it

This would not be tolerated if this was any other workplace. People should not have to be afraid of their co-workers shooting them.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #4347 on: January 15, 2021, 01:53:06 AM »

Splash
United States

« Reply #4348 on: January 15, 2021, 02:21:35 AM »

This whole thing just continues to get progressively more horrifying as time goes on.

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4349 on: January 15, 2021, 02:22:53 AM »

This whole thing just continues to get progressively more horrifying as time goes on.

Wow, what gave it away? Was it the "hang Mike Pence" chants?
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 [174] 175 176 177 178 179 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies