DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:56:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 173 174 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 273367 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4200 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:46 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4201 on: January 13, 2021, 07:04:11 PM »

Populism is a monster that, once unleashed, cannot be controlled. Trump is about to learn this the hard way.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #4202 on: January 13, 2021, 07:06:21 PM »

The real goal here is to avoid conviction by the Senate. He'll succeed. Sad
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4203 on: January 13, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »

The real goal here is to avoid conviction by the Senate. He'll succeed. Sad

Maybe but being a pariah shunned by corporate America with his businesses destroyed is gonna hurt him even in his best case scenario where he avoids both Senate conviction and criminal conviction after he leaves office.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4204 on: January 13, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »

This statement was the most generic pile of bulls*** I have ever heard. It's also undermined further by him not being able to resist bringing up the right wing interpretation of the First Amendment as it concerns social media (what he has really been the most upset about this past week) and failing to acknowledge, once again, by name that Biden won the election fair and square.

In spite of my complaints on this statement though, and how generic and insincere it is by the President, it is still more than he did last week as the bare minimum and had he timed it then, would probably not be garnering the criticism it is getting now. It's one of many too little, too late moments from him though. If this is enough to sway any Republican Senators who may have considered voting to convict (here's looking at you, Susan Collins! Don't f*** this up again! He still didn't learn a lesson!) then the Republican Party is even more hopeless than I thought. The guy sent a horde of mindless marauders to potentially kill or torture members of Congress and the Vice President and hesitated to act on deploying the national guard to combat it! If that isn't enough to want to remove him, nothing will be and the GOP will continue down its path of destroying the country in addition to itself.

Random thought while looking up Boebert's info while trying to see if it was her, I found out her son's name is Kaydon. Why am I not surprised?

In what way? Is there any significance to the name?
The -aiden (well sound) names are just kind of stereotypical tacky white names that you’d think someone like her would bestow upon a kid.
Also, names like Tanner, Colton, Wyatt, Cody, Logan, etc.

No offense to any of you who have one of these names lol.

None taken. I hate my name. I didn't choose it. My middle name is just as bad too. And to make matters worse I have a cousin named Wyatt.

For what it's worth, I think Cody and Tanner are adorable names. 

*Blushes*
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4205 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:51 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4206 on: January 13, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »

Too little, too late. Trump appears genuinely chastised for the first time in his Presidency.
The statement he should've released last Wednesday.

A week after election day you mean
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4207 on: January 13, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »

Too little, too late. Trump appears genuinely chastised for the first time in his Presidency.
The statement he should've released last Wednesday.

A week after election day you mean

On the contrary, he didn't even mention Biden or his fair and square victory over him. All he did was vaguely suggest a transition. So it's still a useless statement for that time too.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4208 on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:41 PM »

Pelosi is fed up with dealing with many of these Republican extremists. First, they refused to wear masks, compelling her to make them mandatory, and now they're refusing to adhere to basic security procedures, that are intended to protect them.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4209 on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:44 PM »

It says it's a rule change (the fines). So they don't need to pass a bill (Senate + Biden) for this?

I wonder if there's a 27th Amendment issue there.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4210 on: January 13, 2021, 08:37:14 PM »

It says it's a rule change (the fines). So they don't need to pass a bill (Senate + Biden) for this?

I wonder if there's a 27th Amendment issue there.

Eh, I don't think there's an issue to be had here. House Rules aren't a "law," which is what the 27th Amendment pertains to, & in any event, this doesn't actually change their rate of compensation so much as it'll permanently withhold compensation that they've otherwise earned.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4211 on: January 13, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »

Criminal caught red-handed says, "crime is bad and can't we just let bygones be bygones" after he's given an trial date.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4212 on: January 13, 2021, 08:46:00 PM »

Please remove the huge image.  It makes the page too wide.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4213 on: January 13, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »

Good, maybe this will help them get over their fear of magnets
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4214 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:19 PM »

Presumably, folks on the left are split between "no" and "unsure" because many of typical folks have no idea who or what "antifa" is since, well, it's not really a thing except in the right wing media.

You also have to assume that the vast majority of the 37% who answered "yes" are lying. They know damn well Antifa wasn't involved, but say so simply in an attempt to take all of the rightful blame off trump/republicans. I don't know how many times we have to see crazy poll results like this to internalize the fact that republican/conservatives bring nothing to the table but bad faith, lies and disingenuous "beliefs".
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #4215 on: January 13, 2021, 09:41:24 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2021, 09:45:37 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Presumably, folks on the left are split between "no" and "unsure" because many of typical folks have no idea who or what "antifa" is since, well, it's not really a thing except in the right wing media.

You also have to assume that the vast majority of the 37% who answered "yes" are lying. They know damn well Antifa wasn't involved, but say so simply in an attempt to take all of the rightful blame off trump/republicans. I don't know how many times we have to see crazy poll results like this to internalize the fact that republican/conservatives bring nothing to the table but bad faith, lies and disingenuous "beliefs".

Belief as attire.

It's like when they conducted a study where they would present pictures of crowds from Obama's inauguration and Trump's inauguration without any context and Republican participants correctly identified the photo of Obama's as containing a larger crowd, but then most of them flipped their answers after being told what was being shown in the photos.

Trump supporters have demonstrated a habit of engaging in this kind of blatant acceptance of obvious falsehoods as a means of affirming their own partisan identity and signaling it to others. It's an integral characteristic of their political tribe, a means of expressing their allegiance.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4216 on: January 13, 2021, 10:32:05 PM »

Good.
This is just basic protection for not only the elected officials, but their assistants, for other dignitaries inside and also for the Capitol guards themselves.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4217 on: January 13, 2021, 10:37:19 PM »

YAS QUEEN
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #4218 on: January 13, 2021, 10:54:44 PM »

Ah, the regular mistake where the politicians think the anti-politics movement surrounding them is about them.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Trumpers called him a coward cuck for that statement, as he sided with the establishment in fear lol

The danger of joining antipolitics movements is that they can even stan a loser like Trump if he is committed to the cause of triggering the establishment and give them the strong anti-politics rhetoric they want. But they can easily spit you like trash if do the opposite of that stuff. And then they will look for new leaders that will be more fit for their purposes.

These people know Trump lost, but they want him to be a strongman that never compromises or accept defeat. They want a dictatorship because that’s a system where they can assure the progressive opposition they hate has no voice. And that’s what the movement is more about, it’s not about constructing anything, it’s about destroying it. I know how these people work.

What I predict is:

1. USA will move past Trump. I really think he is over and politically dead now that he is throwing these people on the fire in order to disassociate himself from them.

2. The MAGA populist movement will keep strengthening as new leaders emerge from within and rebrand themselves as a new Trump-free opposition, only with the same tactics, discourse and positions. Could possibly lead to an alternative worse than Trump in the future.

Evidence is how there are many people, including elected representatives, asking for the Joe Biden impeachment even before he assumes office.

The spread of globalization is really quite something to see. A lot of what I see in the USA 2020-2021 kinda reminds me of Brazil 2014-2015.

It was also an extremely polarized election in which the losing side did not accept defeat and immediately after the election results were announced they preached for impeachment. Before the elected leader even started their term, showing their contempt for democracy.

Naturally it was under a different context, so I don’t think Biden’s fate will be the same as Dilma’s even if the level of craziness and evil from their political opponents is scarily similar. Significam differences:

- Biden has a majority in both congress and senate for at least his first two years. Who knows what will be in 2023? In Brazil no one ever has full majority of congress.

- If economy crashes it will be way more blamed on COVID-19 than on the administration. Biden benefits from being a “new guy” whereas Dilma had been re-elected and had inherited considerable baggage.

- The US establishment is very much against the movement so they will contain it inside the bubble they were, while the Brazilian media powers validated the questionable methods and the angry rhetoric of Brazil ones because they liked the purpose of ousting PT. Typical “Ends justify the means” bs.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4219 on: January 13, 2021, 11:55:36 PM »

Your honor, I present exhibit 1 on why Donald Trump is not responsible for the atrocities in DC on January 6.  See, a week later he said no violence, and he meant it.  And he stayed off twitter too.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4220 on: January 14, 2021, 12:43:45 AM »

Your honor, I present exhibit 1 on why Donald Trump is not responsible for the atrocities in DC on January 6.  See, a week later he said no violence, and he meant it.  And he stayed off twitter too.

And of course, it was extremely difficult to predict that after telling millions of his supporters that they were being robbed of any election, and that the United States would turn into a communist country, so he can’t be blamed for that either. It’s not like he knew that he could shot someone in the middle of 5th avenue, and they would still do anything for him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4221 on: January 14, 2021, 03:27:57 AM »

Add Snapchat to the list of things President Trump is permanently banned from.

US President Donald Trump has been permanently banned from Snapchat, according to a statement by the platform Wednesday.

"Last week we announced an indefinite suspension of President Trump's Snapchat (SNAP) account, and have been assessing what long term action is in the best interest of our Snapchat community," a Snapchat spokesperson said. "In the interest of public safety, and based on his attempts to spread misinformation, hate speech, and incite violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to permanently terminate his account."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4222 on: January 14, 2021, 03:30:12 AM »

TIL Trump has a Snapchat account
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4223 on: January 14, 2021, 03:32:18 AM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 3, 1969

Statement from Charles Manson

In light of recent reports of more Helter Skelter, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind. That is not what I stand for and not what the Family stands for. I call on all members of the Family to to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank you.

###
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4224 on: January 14, 2021, 08:39:59 AM »

As Donald Trump puts out statements written by his sane lawyers to try and defend himself, one of his insane lawyers makes a statement of his own.

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 [169] 170 171 172 173 174 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies