DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:24:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274514 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3550 on: January 09, 2021, 08:40:35 PM »

MORE unstable???

Is he waiting for something bigger and worse to happen?

Come on, is Pence really this stupid?
I think he's using this as leverage over Trump.

If Trump was removed, he wouldn’t need leverage.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3551 on: January 09, 2021, 08:44:30 PM »

The CEO of a Chicago-area data analytics firm was one of those who entered the Capitol building, and got fired as a result. https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20210108/schaumburg-firm-fires-ceo-for-role-in-storming-capitol

He apologized by claiming he was "going to see what was happening inside".

"No officer, I didn't break into this house. I just ducked under some police tape, and squeezed through the broken window because I was curious to see what wacky shenanigans those burglars were getting up to."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3552 on: January 09, 2021, 08:46:44 PM »

MORE unstable???

Is he waiting for something bigger and worse to happen?

Come on, is Pence really this stupid?
I think he's using this as leverage over Trump.

If Trump was removed, he wouldn’t need leverage.

Trump being removed is a whole new ballgame. And it appears very likely a majority of Republicans don't want Trump removed.
Pence would be changing the rules and getting a very inferior starting position. By far the best gambit for Pence is to not upset the applecart.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #3553 on: January 09, 2021, 08:56:50 PM »

"They're just peaceful protesters. All we want is peace. Peace! Peeeaaace!"

🎵 A little piece of Schumer, a little slice of Pence 🎵
🎵 Some pieces of McConnell, Graham, and Adam Schiff, perchance 🎵
🎵 A little slice of Nancy, with some chopped-up Warnock sauce 🎵
🎵 And then some tastes of Harris, Biden, Ossoff, and DeVos! 🎵

(Credit to Mel Brooks)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_as_metaphor

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun, Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl"  - Barack Obama
I hope you're doing yoga with all that knee jerk contrarianism, I'd hate for you to strain yourself.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3554 on: January 09, 2021, 09:00:16 PM »

It's Fox News fault, ever since 911 they call Rs the Patriots, that's how come Bush W got away with no accountability when he went on vaca when he was warned about 911 beforehand, now we see this same Patriots talk with Marxist rebels whom killed CR leaders in the 60s

Trump's have made Fox their channel
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3555 on: January 09, 2021, 09:03:15 PM »

Pence is DOA in a 2024 primary at this point, his best bet is be President for ten days and get that sweet sweet pension and secret service protection.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3556 on: January 09, 2021, 09:05:38 PM »

Pence is DOA in a 2024 primary at this point, his best bet is be President for ten days and get that sweet sweet pension and secret service protection.
Not exactly massively prudent of a statement to claim that the second highest ranking Republican in Washington is DOA in a primary that is three and a half years away.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3557 on: January 09, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »

These Black Capitol Police Officers Describe Fighting Off "Racist Ass Terrorists"
While some of the images from that day appeared to show officers standing by to let the mob into the Capitol building, the veteran officer said that they had fought them off for two hours before the attackers eventually gained access. The officer said that many of the widely spread images of smiling marauders, wandering the halls dressed in absurd costumes, had the effect of downplaying how well prepared some of the rioters were to overtake the building, and even to capture and kill Congress members.

“That was a heavily trained group of militia terrorists that attacked us,” said the officer, who has been with the department for more than a decade. “They had radios, we found them, they had two-way communicators and earpieces. They had bear spray. They had flash bangs ... They were prepared. They strategically put two IEDs, pipe bombs in two different locations. These guys were military trained. A lot of them were former military,” the veteran said, referring to two suspected pipe bombs that were found outside the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee.

The officer even described coming face to face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed the badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3558 on: January 09, 2021, 09:11:37 PM »

Not exactly massively prudent of a statement to claim that the second highest ranking Republican in Washington is DOA in a primary that is three and a half years away.

He "betrayed" Trump by certifying he election. They literally wanted to hang him. The base will never back him.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3559 on: January 09, 2021, 09:12:21 PM »

A little piece of Schumer, a little slice of Pence
 Some pieces of McConnell, Graham, and Adam Schiff, perchance
 A little slice of Nancy, with some chopped-up Warnock sauce
 And then some tastes of Harris, Biden, Ossoff, and DeVos!

(Credit to Mel Brooks)

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun, Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl"  - Barack Obama
I hope you're doing yoga with all that knee jerk contrarianism, I'd hate for you to strain yourself.

I just can't believe people have never heard political use of martial language before.  I mean c'mon, where do you think the term "campaign" comes from?   

This email is not evidence of anything.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3560 on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:05 PM »

Decoding the extremist symbols and groups at the Capitol Hill insurrection
Flags, signs and symbols of racist, white supremacist and extremist groups were displayed along with Trump 2020 banners and American flags at Wednesday's riot at the US Capitol.

The pictures tell part of the story of the beliefs of some of those who chose to show up on that day -- from passionate and peaceful Trump supporters to extremists who showed their hate with their symbols as well as their actions.

The mixing of the groups is one issue that experts who track extremism and hate have long been concerned about.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3561 on: January 09, 2021, 09:15:52 PM »

He "betrayed" Trump by certifying he election. They literally wanted to hang him. The base will never back him.
I'm sure if you polled Republicans and asked them if Mike Pence betrayed Trump and also if Mike Pence should be hanged for betraying Trump, then a massive majority would say no to the latter and at least a three-fifth majority would say no to the former.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #3562 on: January 09, 2021, 09:16:59 PM »

(Credit to Mel Brooks)

"If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun, Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl"  - Barack Obama

I just can't believe people have never heard political use of martial language before.  I mean c'mon, where do you think the term "campaign" comes from?    

Wrong is the evidence that Trump campaign take the trumpist as idiots and want get more money from they
or if this is not came from Trump campaign there is someone that think are idiots
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3563 on: January 09, 2021, 09:18:44 PM »

(Credit to Mel Brooks)

I just can't believe people have never heard political use of martial language before.  I mean c'mon, where do you think the term "campaign" comes from?   

At a minimum, would you concede that Trump has evidently attracted an inordinate number of followers who are inclined to take this sort of thing literally, and that if he were a responsible politician he would have noticed that and moderated his rhetoric accordingly?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3564 on: January 09, 2021, 09:40:25 PM »

(Credit to Mel Brooks)

At a minimum, would you concede that Trump has evidently attracted an inordinate number of followers who are inclined to take this sort of thing literally, and that if he were a responsible politician he would have noticed that and moderated his rhetoric accordingly?

If Trump were a responsible politician, he would have in general moderated his rhetoric much more at many points in the past 5 years, but I'm skeptical that in regards to this email "an inordinate number of followers who are inclined to take this sort of thing literally" and I would not assume that Trump was personally involved in writing it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3565 on: January 09, 2021, 09:40:48 PM »

Walls: closing in

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/republicans-trump-impeachment-attack/2021/01/09/62e4aea0-5289-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html

Three days after a mob attack on the U.S. Capitol carried out in President Trump's name, Republican leaders have yet to outline plans to hold anyone accountable or to alter a platform and priorities lashed to the outgoing Republican president.

Trump and some congressional Republicans, meanwhile, stepped up their efforts Saturday to head off Democratic efforts to impeach Trump over what they call his incitement of violence.

Behind closed doors, Trump and his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner have encouraged allies to fight against a potential impeachment by issuing statements on social media or elsewhere that discourage or condemn the move, people familiar with the calls said.

[...]

Trump has not spoken to Pence since before the assault, when he urged Pence to try to block congressional certification of Biden's victory, according to two people familiar with the relationship, who like others interviewed spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the president's actions on the record. Trump remains angry at Pence for refusing to do as Trump wished.

Pence plans to attend Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20, a person familiar with his plans said Saturday. Trump has said he will not attend, breaking a long-standing tradition.

Trump remained out of sight Saturday, and unnaturally silent. Twitter had permanently revoked his account on Friday evening, removing his accustomed direct broadcast system to nearly 90 million followers.

Trump spent much of the day Saturday railing about Twitter taking his account, according to two officials. The president has not said anything about the five people who died in the attack, including a Capitol Police officer, nor has he moved to lower the flags of the U.S. government in their honor. He does not plan to make that order and has complained to advisers that he is being treated unfairly, two people familiar with his comments said.

Some White House officials are concerned about the president's liability from a broader investigation into the event. Trump knew for days there would be a march and wanted to participate himself, only to be thwarted for his own security, officials said.

A number of lawyers who participated in Trump's last impeachment defense, including Jay Sekulow, Pat Philbin and Pat Cipollone, would be unlikely to participate this time in defending the president, one adviser said. Possibilities include Trump's personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, or defense attorney Alan Dershowitz, the adviser said.

Party officials remain torn over what to do about Trump in the final days - with many ready to cut ties but wary because the party's grass-roots activists and supporters are still largely with him.

"If you can replicate his draw amongst rural, working-class voters without the insanity, you have a permanent governing majority," said Josh Holmes, a top adviser to McConnell.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3566 on: January 09, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »

FWIW, I apologize for all the things I said in this thread to minimize or excuse for what happened. I didn't really know all the details until I read just how dangerous this was, which was far more severe than what CNN had appeared to be reporting on the day I was watching this live.

Pelosi's office broken into? IEDs planted at the Democratic and Republican headquarters? Six deaths and one officer? But the Capitol Police officers who took selfies and had to have known about this from Parler? And yes, a bunch of really stupid looking neopagan LARPers in the Capitol that was kind of funny, but should never have been let in there to begin with.

Not even the worst criminals who either took advantage of the BLM discourse to loot and cause general mayhem or act in the name of BLM itself compares to this.

If Benghazi was deserving of its own committee for the better part of the last decade, then so most certainly is this. Investigate the people who coordinated and acted on these Parler forums and investigate the police officers for pre-knowledge of the situation. Do not apply the same standards of dealing with these traitors under the same standards of dealing with black activists under investigation.

There is no way to play devil's advocate or equate this with BLM. They never tried to subvert the results of a fair and free election through attacking the United States Capitol. Which itself sounds like a funny plot twist for a certain Nicholas Cage movie.

LMAO

This can't be real, can it?

You're good, man. First off, it takes a fair bit of guts, not to mention self-introspection, to admit one was wrong.

Secondly, the key here is better late than never oh, and no one here should I can hikind and I sure don't - - begrudge you a few days to sort this out.

Now the key is, will more than a handful of former Trump supporters actually realize this problem isn't necessarily about Donald J Trump, but the trumpism that goes bone deep into 70 + percent of the Republican Party?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3567 on: January 09, 2021, 10:01:08 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3568 on: January 09, 2021, 10:11:04 PM »

I'm still extremely disappointed and upset that literally hundreds and hundreds of these traitorous rioters will get away simply because there was too little will to properly prepare for, and then arrest okay yes them at the time, and not all of these people be such idiots as to advertise their illegal activities online.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3569 on: January 09, 2021, 10:45:14 PM »

Feds arresting more of the losers who stormed the Capitol, including the stealing podium guy. They look less happy now. Was getting arrested what the Q Anon guy wearing the "Trust the Plan" shirt planned?

Lol, what a moron, I wonder if he'll TAKE THE STAND at his trial.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #3570 on: January 09, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »

Apparently Pence has not fully ruled out invocation of the 25th.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3571 on: January 09, 2021, 10:50:32 PM »

Ten-to-one it is simply a story leaked to undermine impeachment attempts.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3572 on: January 09, 2021, 10:53:22 PM »

Ten-to-one it is simply a story leaked to undermine impeachment attempts.

Or to keep Trump quiet. "Knock it off or it's the 25th for you."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3573 on: January 09, 2021, 11:00:09 PM »

Ted Cruz on Donald Trump from primaries was right
https://www.google.com/search?q=cruz+on+donald+trump+youtube&oq=cruz+on+donald+trump+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57.13653j0j4&client=ms-android-boost-us-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3574 on: January 09, 2021, 11:01:15 PM »

I wonder how the drama between Trump/Pence impacts the pardon situation.  The safest way to pardon himself is for Trump to step down and let Pence do it.  But now he doesn't even trust Pence.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 142 [143] 144 145 146 147 148 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies