DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:24:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269281 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3500 on: January 09, 2021, 04:57:56 PM »

LMAO
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3501 on: January 09, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »

How does the nuclear code thing actually work in practice ?

Trump cannot launch a nuclear missile just with his own code, right ?

There needs to be another and/or 3rd person present (VP, Defense Minister), correct ?

The fact that we are even debating this and the inquiry from Pelosi shows how mentally ill Trump really is and how he’s turned the US into a failed state and Banana Republic similar to Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan or Venezuela ...
The military would not carry out a blatantly illegal order, especially not from a lame duck President.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3502 on: January 09, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »

LMAO
I thought it was weird Daniel Stern kept his Twitter account after his coup attempt
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3503 on: January 09, 2021, 05:33:46 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 06:03:13 PM by Senator Scott🦋 »

FWIW, I apologize for all the things I said in this thread to minimize or excuse for what happened. I didn't really know all the details until I read just how dangerous this was, which was far more severe than what CNN had appeared to be reporting on the day I was watching this live.

Pelosi's office broken into? IEDs planted at the Democratic and Republican headquarters? Six deaths and one officer? But the Capitol Police officers who took selfies and had to have known about this from Parler? And yes, a bunch of really stupid looking neopagan LARPers in the Capitol that was kind of funny, but should never have been let in there to begin with.

Not even the worst criminals who either took advantage of the BLM discourse to loot and cause general mayhem or act in the name of BLM itself compares to this.

If Benghazi was deserving of its own committee for the better part of the last decade, then so most certainly is this. Investigate the people who coordinated and acted on these Parler forums and investigate the police officers for pre-knowledge of the situation. Do not apply the same standards of dealing with these traitors under the same standards of dealing with black activists under investigation.

There is no way to play devil's advocate or equate this with BLM. They never tried to subvert the results of a fair and free election through attacking the United States Capitol. Which itself sounds like a funny plot twist for a certain Nicholas Cage movie.

LMAO

This can't be real, can it?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3504 on: January 09, 2021, 05:34:54 PM »

Everyone should read this.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3505 on: January 09, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »

LMAO

I see you are shocked as well that we haven't all bowed down to Joe Pesci as Supreme Overlord, yet? He has, well had, George Carlin's endorsement for deity.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3506 on: January 09, 2021, 05:41:19 PM »

I agree Pelosi's request is not a coup. Trump is still authorized to use nuclear weapons in a situation that calls for it (if we're attacked for example) and they could not be deployed without his authorization. But he can't go rogue and say fire off a nuke at Iran in some kind of Wag the Dog scenario (and there were already protection against this).
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3507 on: January 09, 2021, 05:43:50 PM »

There needs to be another and/or 3rd person present (VP, Defense Minister), correct ?

The fact that we are even debating this and the inquiry from Pelosi shows how mentally ill Trump really is and how he’s turned the US into a failed state and Banana Republic similar to Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan or Venezuela ...

Both President and Secretary of Defense have to authorize it. Sec Deff doesn't have the authority to deny the request if it's a legal order, nonetheless it doesn't go through without his authorization.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3508 on: January 09, 2021, 05:43:57 PM »

LMAO

More serious response:

The 2-3 minutes between Kevin realizing he is in New York alone and him going to the observatory on top of 2 World War Trade Center with Darlene Love's Alone on Christmas playing in the background, is perhaps one my most favorite movie sequences of all time.

Then almost immediately afterwards, you get Kevin asking Donald for directions. IIRC he basically extorted his cameo as himself in exchange for letting them use the Plaza Hotel, which he owned at the time.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #3509 on: January 09, 2021, 06:02:37 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3510 on: January 09, 2021, 06:14:16 PM »

Sherrod mothering Brown!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3511 on: January 09, 2021, 06:29:15 PM »

FWIW, I apologize for all the things I said in this thread to minimize or excuse for what happened. I didn't really know all the details until I read just how dangerous this was, which was far more severe than what CNN had appeared to be reporting on the day I was watching this live.

Pelosi's office broken into? IEDs planted at the Democratic and Republican headquarters? Six deaths and one officer? But the Capitol Police officers who took selfies and had to have known about this from Parler? And yes, a bunch of really stupid looking neopagan LARPers in the Capitol that was kind of funny, but should never have been let in there to begin with.

Not even the worst criminals who either took advantage of the BLM discourse to loot and cause general mayhem or act in the name of BLM itself compares to this.

If Benghazi was deserving of its own committee for the better part of the last decade, then so most certainly is this. Investigate the people who coordinated and acted on these Parler forums and investigate the police officers for pre-knowledge of the situation. Do not apply the same standards of dealing with these traitors under the same standards of dealing with black activists under investigation.

There is no way to play devil's advocate or equate this with BLM. They never tried to subvert the results of a fair and free election through attacking the United States Capitol. Which itself sounds like a funny plot twist for a certain Nicholas Cage movie.

Thanks, Scott. These are difficult times and emotions are running high —in all quarters —but it takes integrity to admit when one misjudged a situation, and I appreciate you taking the time to do so publicly.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3512 on: January 09, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »

Thanks, Scott. These are difficult times and emotions are running high —in all quarters —but it takes integrity to admit when one misjudged a situation, and I appreciate you taking the time to do so publicly.

Seconding this. As someone who was deeply disappointed in Scott's takes the other day, I'm glad to see that he has the maturity and self-reflection to admit he got the wrong impression of what was happening here.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3513 on: January 09, 2021, 06:35:53 PM »

Derrick Evans, the WV state legislator charged with being part of the coup attempt, has resigned from the WV House of Delegates.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3514 on: January 09, 2021, 07:09:42 PM »

Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3515 on: January 09, 2021, 07:18:40 PM »

Have you ever seen a more punchable face?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-proud-boy-nicholas-ochs-arrested-20210109-ddt654g74rdaxj7y5tfonjnrqe-story.html
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3516 on: January 09, 2021, 07:28:12 PM »

My understanding is that the president has sole and unilateral power to launch nuclear weapons. Andrew Yang's platform had called for requiring the VP to confirm it.

Having said that, I suspect the officers who actually press the buttons to fire the weapons would probably just refuse to carry out an order from Trump over the next 2 weeks. But that assumes it's not Trump cultists in that position right now.
Panda Express

« Reply #3517 on: January 09, 2021, 07:32:15 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 07:45:56 PM by Panda Express »

Feds arresting more of the losers who stormed the Capitol, including the stealing podium guy. They look less happy now. Was getting arrested what the Q Anon guy wearing the "Trust the Plan" shirt planned?

FBI arrests Des Moines man photographed at U.S. Capitol riot. He faces five federal charges

anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #3518 on: January 09, 2021, 07:33:50 PM »

Feds arresting more of the losers who stormed the Capitol, including the stealing podium guy. They look less happy now.

8 On Your Side has learned Johnson is married to a local physician

I refuse to believe this
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3519 on: January 09, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »

The fact that these people are dumb enough to brag about this on Twitter...
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3520 on: January 09, 2021, 07:39:09 PM »

Feds arresting more of the losers who stormed the Capitol, including the stealing podium guy. They look less happy now.

8 On Your Side has learned Johnson is married to a local physician

I refuse to believe this

Why? I’m certain there were actual physicians there.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3521 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:27 PM »

They are trump cultists who believe Hillary is a pedophile and hides children in basements. Of course they are "dumb enough."
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3522 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:37 PM »

Back the Blue but not when they defend the Republic from fascism.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #3523 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

They all think Trump is going to remain in office and pardon them. It’s really not a huge leap from point one to point two.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3524 on: January 09, 2021, 07:41:58 PM »

Clearly, they believe they are above the law and would not be punished.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies