DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:41:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274581 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3175 on: January 08, 2021, 03:19:32 PM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.

No, no one could not. Antifa despises the Democratic party, I'm included, as much as they do Trump and the Republicans. Trump's supporters meanwhile have cuddled and condoned Trump despite every single day of The Last 5 Years demonstrating loud and clear in our faces his fundamental in complete emotional, mental, and moral stability ever be even considered as president of the United States.

Come on people. It's not like what happened yesterday given everything about Trump was remotely a surprise. His voters can't begin to claim this was unforeseeable. Well, other than to the Capitol police force, of course.

Then should we blame all Black Lives Matter supporters for the rioting that happened last summer? If your answer is no, then why should we blame every Trump voter for the riots.

I kind of busy and you are trying my patience having to explain this so obviously, but I will give it a shot. Black lives matters versus rioters. Damn near no connection. The church congregations and Community organizers and ordinary neighbors who came out on the street March against police brutality, right down to police Chiefs and sensible Republicans like Mitt Romney, had exactly f*** all to do with random criminal thugs breaking department store windows and looting them. Get that through your head. I realized you might have trouble distinguishing between black people angry in the street, but there is a really really really really really big difference between people who protested and at worst may have been arrested for sit-down stripes with rare variation, and assholes who set buildings on fire or stole stuff. Again, even though the riots and the BLM movement both grew out of the gorge Floyd killing and other such incidences such as Brianna Taylor, etc etc etc, drawing a connection between BLM marching and protesting versus looting and burning is a 99% non-existent connection outside the world of white conservative fantastical nightmares.

On the other hand, Trump has loudly, obviously, brazenly, and unapologetically denigrated and undermined Democratic norms and extolled direct violent action against his political opponents since he was a candidate five years ago. And Trump voters accepted this as okay and all right, or at least better than God forbid voting for a Democrat. Again, what happened yesterday was a thousand percent consistent with everything Trump has said or done for the last five years. Yes, Trump voters need to take responsibility for this.

The only worthwhile response from any Trump supporter is this shouldn't have happened and I should have never supported this man or anyone like him. No one gives a s*** if you are willing to write off Donald Trump now that he has less than two weeks is President and your precious Republican legislation of conservative judges, environmental deregulation, and tax cuts don't rely on him. Trump opponents don't give a s*** - - well, not much anyway - - about saying I Told You So. I want to see actual honest genuine change from Republicans. What the hell difference does it make if they ate at the eleventh hour and 59th minute reject Trump, but still won't begin to reject trumpism in their party?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3176 on: January 08, 2021, 03:24:24 PM »

At this point, Biden's DOJ/FBI should consider putting every remaining Trump supporter on a terrorist watch list. 

That is absurdly hyperbolic.  Even if many partisan Republicans are no longer really supporting Trump, there are still tens if millions of Trump supporters, most of whom are pretty normal people.  Rhetoric like this is only fanning the flames and making things worse.

I agree. lumping all Trump supporters with the crazies who stormed the capitol is dangerous and wrong. A future Republican president could easily criminalize all of Biden's supporters as Antifa sympathizers.

No, no one could not. Antifa despises the Democratic party, I'm included, as much as they do Trump and the Republicans. Trump's supporters meanwhile have cuddled and condoned Trump despite every single day of The Last 5 Years demonstrating loud and clear in our faces his fundamental in complete emotional, mental, and moral stability ever be even considered as president of the United States.

Come on people. It's not like what happened yesterday given everything about Trump was remotely a surprise. His voters can't begin to claim this was unforeseeable. Well, other than to the Capitol police force, of course.

Then should we blame all Black Lives Matter supporters for the rioting that happened last summer? If your answer is no, then why should we blame every Trump voter for the riots.
Because, and I can’t stress this enough, DONALD TRUMP INCITED THE RIOT.
Every one of you is at least partly culpable, more so if you are pulling this both sides crap now.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3177 on: January 08, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »

Oh, two Trump sympathizers don't agree?  don't care.  

I think Trump was a bad president and yet I don't hate every person who supported him.

Ask yourself this:

1) do you support the insurrection he stirred?  It was clearly planned as they stormed state capitals at the same time?

2) If you answered no, you don't support a coup, then do you still support the figurehead who instigated the coup?

3) If you answered no, then why would you oppose putting coup sympathizers/remaining Trump supporters on a watch list?  I am not saying they should be arrested but people who pronounce support for Trump and what he's done after this are clearly dangers to society.

That would create a dictatorship
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #3178 on: January 08, 2021, 03:31:44 PM »

Do you guys have ANY ideology other than "what about the Blacks???" You're absolutely f***ing pathetic and your whole party is a joke. Those riots were Trump's baby and every Trump voter has blood on their hands. Law and order my ass.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3179 on: January 08, 2021, 03:31:53 PM »

Look, regardless of what happened at the Capitol, i think it is more important than ever to protect the proper expression of free speech and free association. To adopt such a hostile attitude towards the mere idea of someone being a Trump supporter will do multitudes more harm to our country than this attack did alone.
Don't behave in a way that makes their cultural grievances and sense of persecution actually at least somewhat justified.
If America does go down a very bad path and things become irreconcilable down the line, let me say this - those who discarded the spirit of the Bill of Rights and contributed to the death spiral will forever be tainted for, intentionally or not, demolishing what makes America a great nation.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3180 on: January 08, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »

You know what? I'm done arguing about this.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3181 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:35 PM »

So the other dude in the pelts was a son of a Brooklyn Judge:

https://gothamist.com/news/trump-fur-ever-costumed-capitol-rioter-son-brooklyn-supreme-court-judge

The woman shot owned a pool supply business, we’ve had CEO of regional firms, business owners, and professionals caught out as members of the mob, Andy Harris, the numb nuts congressmen that got into a first fight in floor was an anesthesiologist.

These people are Muscadins not San-culottes no matter how much some is trying to make them the enraged voice of the white working class, the great mass of these people are from the relatively privileged classes.

The Trump base has always been small business owners - the low education, high income crowd.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3182 on: January 08, 2021, 03:34:59 PM »

You know what? I'm done arguing about this.

Because you know you have no valid points.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3183 on: January 08, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »

Of the three people who died due to medical emergencies, one of them suffered a heart attack after accidentally tasing himself in the testicles, and another lady who was wearing a 'Don't Tread On Me’ flag as a cape was tragically trampled to death.  Patriots all. Cry
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3184 on: January 08, 2021, 03:36:18 PM »

Are they really normal though?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3185 on: January 08, 2021, 03:36:54 PM »

Every one of you is at least partly culpable, more so if you are pulling this both sides crap now.
Stop this rhetorical excess. Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.
The rhetoric of you and the lot is looking increasingly unhinged, increasingly hyper-partisan (if that is someone possible), and detached from democratic norms.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3186 on: January 08, 2021, 03:38:18 PM »

Stop this rhetorical excess. Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.
The rhetoric of you and the lot is looking increasingly unhinged, increasingly hyper-partisan (if that is someone possible), and detached from democratic norms.

If they're embarrassed they need to stand up, make that known and disown the man who created this monster.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3187 on: January 08, 2021, 03:38:55 PM »

Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters?  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3188 on: January 08, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 03:47:18 PM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

Many, many Trump supporters are utterly embarassed at what has happened, IRL and on forum.

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters.  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.
No it won't.
Smeering a group of many tens of millions with umbrella negative terms is not a good idea.
Joe Haydn
HenryWallaceVP

« Reply #3189 on: January 08, 2021, 03:40:36 PM »

The fact that Trump has not tweeted a message of sympathy and condemnation for the killing of Sicknick is the most disgusting thing he has ever done. He literally does not care his supporter beat a cop to death, despite his constant professions of support for the police.

You voted for this guy, so you don't get to complain.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3190 on: January 08, 2021, 03:57:17 PM »

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters.  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.
No it doesn't.
Yes it does.

And yes, I am a partisan. I am not ashamed that l’m not interested in insurrectionaries feelings and I don’t believe that they should have any part in government, just like I don’t think Nazis and Confederates need to be given sympathetic hearings. As a liberal and westerner and an American and a Catholic and a humanist, I abhor secessionists, Nazis, Stalinists, Japanese Imperialists, Hinduvataists, Maoists, and Trumpists. And if they are still supporting Donald Trump, I don’t care how embarrassed they are.
They attempted to murder our political leadership and install an authoritarian strongman.
Any response in the aftermath other than ‘I didn’t know what I was doing, I disavow all previous support for these monsters, and I beg the American people for forgiveness’ is unacceptable.
Everyone who voted or otherwise campaigned or advocated for Mr. Trump or any of the congressmen who attempted to override free elections is culpable. Everyone who went around spreading both sides are just as bad, they don’t really mean it memery is culpable. And everyone who now engages in exercises to minimize this, see witch hunts or what about BLM, is culpable. Self examination is the only morally correct response.
Hassan 2022
Calm NH Lib
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3191 on: January 08, 2021, 04:02:25 PM »

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3192 on: January 08, 2021, 04:06:04 PM »

Now Fuentes next.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3193 on: January 08, 2021, 04:11:00 PM »

Trump voters need to demonstrate change. This was absolutely, unquestionably, patently foreseeable for the last five years. And yet Trump supporters still chose this man is president. Objecting to a forest fire after supporting the guy pouring gasoline on campfires for 5 years isn't close to enough. And there's nothing "partisan" about it.

If Trump voters don't realize they made a huge mistake, and can't acknowledge that yes, they damn well should have voted for Hillary or at least a third-party / write in, then yes they deserve every bit of approbation they're receiving.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3194 on: January 08, 2021, 04:13:20 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3195 on: January 08, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »

Sure, but the question therefore is; are they still Trump supporters?  The answer to that will tell us all we need to know.

No, even that doesn't go far enough. It's easy for these profile in Courage last-minute converts to democracy to reject Trump in the last week and a half of his presidency when he is irrelevant towards conservatives maintaining political power and advancing their agenda. If they don't oppose Trump ISM, which encompasses all those jackass congressmen, Senators, Governors, and hundreds of assorted Republican officials who full bore stood by and parotid Trump's Fantastical claims of election fraud and incitements for Direct action.

If they can't bring themselves to throw out those individuals for at bare minimum a sane Republican like Nancy Mays, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Etc, or if not then bite the bullet and vote Democrat or third-party, then they've demonstrated they really don't give a crap. Between conservatism and democracy, they will choose the former every time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3196 on: January 08, 2021, 04:17:28 PM »

No it doesn't.
Yes it does.

And yes, I am a partisan. I am not ashamed that l’m not interested in insurrectionaries feelings and I don’t believe that they should have any part in government, just like I don’t think Nazis and Confederates need to be given sympathetic hearings. As a liberal and westerner and an American and a Catholic and a humanist, I abhor secessionists, Nazis, Stalinists, Japanese Imperialists, Hinduvataists, Maoists, and Trumpists. And if they are still supporting Donald Trump, I don’t care how embarrassed they are.
They attempted to murder our political leadership and install an authoritarian strongman.
Any response in the aftermath other than ‘I didn’t know what I was doing, I disavow all previous support for these monsters, and I beg the American people for forgiveness’ is unacceptable.
Everyone who voted or otherwise campaigned or advocated for Mr. Trump or any of the congressmen who attempted to override free elections is culpable. Everyone who went around spreading both sides are just as bad, they don’t really mean it memery is culpable. And everyone who now engages in exercises to minimize this, see witch hunts or what about BLM, is culpable. Self examination is the only morally correct response.

This! Very very well said!

And frankly, any Republican that doesn't fully agree and take the same hard self-examination you have, is just blowing hot air.

Don't care much if it all about the whole I Told You So and public Contrition part. We as Americans need the Republican party as a whole to fundamentally change at its core level or this ship will happen again quite soon in our future. And unless Republicans take LV sunscreens exactly here, it won't.

And unfortunately, I don't predict it will.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3197 on: January 08, 2021, 04:17:53 PM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3198 on: January 08, 2021, 04:18:32 PM »

I didn't have Lindsey Graham being chased through an airport by an angry mob of Trumpists on my 2021 bingo card. lol
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3199 on: January 08, 2021, 04:19:02 PM »

I didn't have Lindsey Graham being chased through an airport by an angry mob of Trumpists on my 2021 bingo card. lol
Serves him right.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 127 [128] 129 130 131 132 133 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies