Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 270051 times)
Motorcity

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5175 on: January 06, 2021, 12:17:08 PM »

Anyone got some funny conservative reactions to this?
I am a teacher. The detention teacher is an retired cop. Really nice guy, we talk while doing bus duty in the morning. But he is diehard Trump fan. He claims it was rigged and eveutlaly Trump will expose this and be re-elected as well.
Motorcity

« Reply #5176 on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:16 PM »

Didn't the military ballots end up netting Biden votes in November lol
They are overseas ballots and roughly 60% are from international companies and NGOs. The other 40% are military. The 60% usually support Democrats
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5177 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:22 PM »

Looks like Ossoff just ticked up a few hundred votes per CNN. 

(Also reporting that Biden will nominate Merrick Garland as AG, but that's for another thread). 
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5178 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »

They are overseas ballots and roughly 60% are from international companies and NGOs. The other 40% are military. The 60% usually support Democrats

And the 40% ballots often support Democrats as well, especially in a state as black as Georgia. It won't be close.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #5179 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:01 PM »

Yeah, military ballots score black IIRC.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5180 on: January 06, 2021, 12:25:02 PM »

Anyone got some funny conservative reactions to this?

Someone on Twitter was calling Warnock a Walmart Louis Farrakhan last night.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5181 on: January 06, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »

Wow. This might be a sign that the problem isn't just Trump, but the GOP as a whole and that the GOP itself will have to undergo some big changes if it hopes to remain competitive.
Fusternino
Rookie
« Reply #5182 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:21 PM »

Trump's theatrics lost us those runoffs.  We absolutely should have won both of those- and probably were on track to do so until recently.

The issue is that no one can tell Trump to calm down and the rest of the party is (probably rightly from an electoral standpoint) petrified to go against him because the MAGA cult will rebel.  We're kind of between a rock and a hard place right now.

Also, if I'm Mitch McConnell, I offer Joe Manchin whatever he wants to become a Republican or R-caucusing Independent.  It would be a long shot, but less so than claiming that the elections were rigged.
Bad Take IMO. Why did Loeffler and Perdue underperform Trump significantly in traditionally conservative suburban Atlanta?

Didn't Loeffler and Perdue improve on Trump's numbers in counties like Cherokee and Forsyth?  It just wasn't enough given what happened elsewhere in the state.

Perdue outran his own raw % (not margin, necessarily) in Forsyth and Cherokee, yes. There was the tiniest of snap backs by white suburbanites but I think Warnock generated a lot of voter enthusiasm with black voters and a lot of Trump fanboys in rural areas stayed home.
Motorcity

« Reply #5183 on: January 06, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »

Here is the scary thing

If the GOP underperforms when Trump isn't on the ballot but overperforms when he is, would the party become more Trumpist?
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5184 on: January 06, 2021, 12:32:58 PM »

Here is the scary thing

If the GOP underperforms when Trump isn't on the ballot but overperforms when he is, would the party become more Trumpist?

How so you become more Trumpist than Loeffler?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5185 on: January 06, 2021, 12:33:27 PM »

It's a separate law that only applies to special elections.  

I don't think so? The Ossoff-Perdue race is not a special election.

The Ossoff-Perdue race also isn't a jungle primary Wink

Oops. 😳
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5186 on: January 06, 2021, 12:34:19 PM »

Given the strength of the polls and how Dems did, it really goes to show that for now, when Trump is on the ballot, GOP cannot guarantee enough turnout.
Motorcity

« Reply #5187 on: January 06, 2021, 12:38:44 PM »

Here is the scary thing

Well, Arizona and Georgia aren't good fits for facism....eh I mean Trumpism.

But Ohio, Iowa, and Wisonsin? Trump overperformed in the midwest
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5188 on: January 06, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »

Given the strength of the polls and how Dems did, it really goes to show that for now, when Trump is on the ballot, GOP cannot guarantee enough turnout.

Exactly what I was thinking. We've seen this in the 2017, 2018, and 2019 elections.

And if he, Loeffler, and Purdue start screaming rigged election again, that could continue to depress GOP voters.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5189 on: January 06, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »

Here is the scary thing

But Ohio, Iowa, and Wisonsin? Trump overperformed in the midwest

The Midwest favors populist candidates. Obama was populist, but if a more positive sense and that part of why he did so well there. Trump is populist in a negative sense, but a lot of people in the Midwest don't see him as negative because he doesn't talk like regular politicians.
Motorcity

« Reply #5190 on: January 06, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »

Here is the scary thing

But Ohio, Iowa, and Wisconsin? Trump overperformed in the midwest

The Midwest favors populist candidates. Obama was populist, but if a more positive sense and that part of why he did so well there. Trump is populist in a negative sense, but a lot of people in the Midwest don't see him as negative because he doesn't talk like regular politicians.
I disagree that Obama is a populist. I think he was so strong in the Midwest is because he is from the Midwest and the auto bailout.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5191 on: January 06, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »

There seems to be around 20,000 Perdue-Warnock voters. I knew there would be some, but thats a lot more than I thought. Why is that? Just didn't like a women? Or are they Lincoln Republicans who can't stand Leoffler
Loeffler is a robot. MAGA wing of the GOP didn't like her for insider trading scandal. She was also unelected, so the incumbency advantage would have been weaker. She seemed to receive more bad press than Perdue.

Incidentally, so there was a Twitter post from someone recently commenting on how Kelly loffler has reportedly been complaining per year that the Georgia Republican party is too conservative. Heck, she donated a few grand Hillary's one in 2008. She may have been a closet Suburban wine mom type of moderate Republican but went all in on trumpism because, well, it's 2020 she wanted to keep her job by sucking up to the big Orange guy

Yeah it hasn't really discussed how awful of a politician she is; watch her 30 second clip when she was on stage at the Trump rally and it was clear that she was just going through a script.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5192 on: January 06, 2021, 12:49:16 PM »

This hits the nail on the head about candidate quality:

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5193 on: January 06, 2021, 12:54:24 PM »

Trump's theatrics lost us those runoffs.  We absolutely should have won both of those- and probably were on track to do so until recently.

The issue is that no one can tell Trump to calm down and the rest of the party is (probably rightly from an electoral standpoint) petrified to go against him because the MAGA cult will rebel.  We're kind of between a rock and a hard place right now.

Also, if I'm Mitch McConnell, I offer Joe Manchin whatever he wants to become a Republican or R-caucusing Independent.  It would be a long shot, but less so than claiming that the elections were rigged.
Bad Take IMO. Why did Loeffler and Perdue underperform Trump significantly in traditionally conservative suburban Atlanta?

Didn't Loeffler and Perdue improve on Trump's numbers in counties like Cherokee and Forsyth?  It just wasn't enough given what happened elsewhere in the state.

Superficially, it looks like the whiter burbs swing slightly to the R, while the blacker burbs swing by a greater margin to the D's.  I guess the black Trumpers have already jumped ship.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5194 on: January 06, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »

Any idea when we might get more vote drops to wrap this thing up for Ossoff?

Gabriel Sterling (a top official from the Georgia secretary of state’s office) says he anticipates that all but a few votes will be counted by 1 p.m. today and that Jon Ossoff will very likely defeat David Perdue.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/06/us/georgia-election-results?action=click&module=ELEX_results&pgtype=Interactive&region=ReporterUpdates#gabriel-sterling-georgia
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5195 on: January 06, 2021, 12:59:11 PM »

My Predictit on Doug Jones AG crashed! :-(

Omg, I think that's the biggest loss I've ever taken on that site
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5196 on: January 06, 2021, 12:59:33 PM »

Here is the scary thing

I'm curious if this will come true in a literal sense, e.g. the various Trump kids are successful candidates in Republican primaries because of branding and the man himself can only run for one office again.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5197 on: January 06, 2021, 01:04:07 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5198 on: January 06, 2021, 01:05:00 PM »

Here is the scary thing

I'm curious if this will come true in a literal sense, e.g. the various Trump kids are successful candidates in Republican primaries because of branding and the man himself can only run for one office again.

I don't see the Trump kids having much success in primaries.  They don't have the same charisma that Trump does to impassion followers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5199 on: January 06, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »

Any idea when we might get more vote drops to wrap this thing up for Ossoff?

Gabriel Sterling (a top official from the Georgia secretary of state’s office) says he anticipates that all but a few votes will be counted by 1 p.m. today and that Jon Ossoff will very likely defeat David Perdue.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/06/us/georgia-election-results?action=click&module=ELEX_results&pgtype=Interactive&region=ReporterUpdates#gabriel-sterling-georgia

It's past 1pm PST and still nothing...
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies