Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 07:30:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 268331 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5125 on: January 06, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »

If anybody's watching the presser on CNN, this sign-language guy is KILLING it.  
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5126 on: January 06, 2021, 11:26:08 AM »

Do these races need to be certified at the same time, or will they be certified separately?  Because both Dems will take office as soon as the their race is certified, right?

Yes, they both take office upon certification.  The only difference is Loeffler can continue to serve until the swearing in, while Perdue's seat is already vacant.  

It should be the same day for both unless Ossoff goes to a recount while Warnock doesn't.  Ossoff has seniority if it's the same day (it's alphabetical so O vs. W).  
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #5127 on: January 06, 2021, 11:27:37 AM »

I think theres a strong argument to be made about Trump's antics motivating democrats. It may very well have cost Perdue his seat.

For instance, Dekalb County ended up with strong election day turnout. Would that have happened had the phone call with Raffensperger not leaked? I'm not so sure.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5128 on: January 06, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »

Per CNN: GA elections official Gabriel Sterling says that there is about 14,000 outstanding military ballots.  
Motorcity

« Reply #5129 on: January 06, 2021, 11:28:43 AM »

Why does Gerogia do a jungle primary? Why not have a state party convention like other states? If they had done that, they might have won an outright majority back in November

Or a primary election in August
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5130 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:06 AM »

Per CNN: GA elections official Gabriel Sterling says that there is about 14,000 outstanding military ballots.  

Worth watching because it could pull Ossoff back into recount range.  
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5131 on: January 06, 2021, 11:29:38 AM »

They used to favor the GOP slightly? But anyways, Ossoff's current lead seems insurmountable to overcome with outstanding votes.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5132 on: January 06, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

Why does Gerogia do a jungle primary? Why not have a state party convention like other states? If they had done that, they might have won an outright majority back in November

It's a separate law that only applies to special elections.  A proposal to use the regular system for all elections failed in the legislature last year after Kemp threatened to veto it to protect Loeffler from Collins.  
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #5133 on: January 06, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »

He's also said that Ossoff is likely going to avoid a recount, so it doesn't seem like they're enough.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #5134 on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:20 AM »

Ossoff becoming a senator is the perfect middle finger to all the Republicans who laughed at him for losing the GA-06 election in 2017.

Speaking of, haha to Karen Handel as well.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #5135 on: January 06, 2021, 11:31:51 AM »

If I recall correctly, these ballots leaned democrat in November. I'd wager they pad Ossoff's lead. Although I doubt the number is anywhere close to 14,000.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5136 on: January 06, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »

He's also said that Ossoff is likely going to avoid a recount, so it doesn't seem like they're enough.

Also subtly hints that Raffensperger & the Dept. of State won't be authorizing a recount even if Perdue/Loeffler ask them to do so.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #5137 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »

What an excellent result. I still feel like Warnock probably would have pulled out a narrow win even without all of Trump's attempts to nullify the election in recent weeks, but I do think the backlash against those nullification attempts was likely what pushed Ossoff over the line against the more formidable Republican in the race.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5138 on: January 06, 2021, 11:34:01 AM »

Requested ?

Or already returned ? And have some been counted already ?

If it’s only the requested number, only a handful might be returned.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #5139 on: January 06, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »

I really like Gabe Sterling.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #5140 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:51 AM »

Requested ?

If the scenario from the November election is any indication, it's a count of the ballots requested, not necessarily what will be returned.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #5141 on: January 06, 2021, 11:36:11 AM »

Requested ?

Didn't specify.  Just estimated that around "14,000 military votes" were still oustanding.  
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5142 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:26 AM »

It's a better system than just straight First Past the Post. I keep hearing it was a way to avoid blacks winning if the white vote was split, but if you have normal primaries that would be avoided anyway so I don't get the logic there, even if that was the rationale for it.

It's a separate law that only applies to special elections.  

I don't think so? The Ossoff-Perdue race is not a special election.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5143 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:37 AM »

A couple of things about the "14,000 military ballots":

1. These are how many were sent out and haven't yet been returned.  These are sent out partly from a recurring list, i.e. they weren't necessarily requested explicitly.  So the return rate is lower than for regular absentee ballots.

2. This isn't just military members serving overseas; it includes ALL overseas voters still registered in Georgia, e.g. employees of multinational corporations, NGOs, etc.  The latter group is usually about 60% of the total overseas/military vote and tends to be strongly democratic.  

Between these two factors, I expect there are at most a few thousand that have yet to be counted (they can be received as late as Friday to be counted), and will probably be no worse than a wash for the Democrats.
Epaminondas

« Reply #5144 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:43 AM »

Wonderful cap on the 2020 election cycle. The Trump-McConnell nightmare is truly over.

Also, if I'm Mitch McConnell, I offer Joe Manchin whatever he wants to become a Republican or R-caucusing Independent.  It would be a long shot, but less so than claiming that the elections were rigged.

He's probably as likely to go GOP as Bernie is to become a Democrat.
Can we stop with this meme? Bernie Sanders is a Democrat. You can be a Democrat and be registered as a Democrat, just like millions of Americans who always vote Democrat.

Bernie Sanders caucuses with the Democrat's in the senate. Votes for Democratic leadership. Hell, is in Democratic leadership! He votes for Democratic bills. He was the runner up twice in Democratic primaries. He was nominated by the Vermont Democratic Party.

The meme that he isn't a true Democrat or is somewhat underserving of being president is dumb. Being nitpicky about party registration is trivial and only for internet nerds who have no valence in the real world.

The only reason we have a Democratic President Elect is because Bernie Sanders went all in for him, considering how close it was

It appears there was a misunderstanding: Bernie Sanders is the reason I first took an interest in politics. He represents the way forward for the Democratic party and has changed US politics forever.

He is also the antithesis of Donald Trump when it comes to being a team player: despite the slanders from establishment Dem supporters, he tirelessly campaigned for Clinton and then for Biden.

However, it's also quite clear his supply-and-demand agreement with the democrats is one of convenience, and he would happily jump ship to a more radical progressive party if the American voting system ever allowed one to thrive.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5145 on: January 06, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

It is so glorious to see that evil, corrupt, and lying son of a pig David Perdue go down! I never again have to see an ad where Perdue smiles and says military bases will be defunded by Democrats
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #5146 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:04 AM »

County breakdown of remaining absentee ballots-

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5147 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »

It's a separate law that only applies to special elections.  

I don't think so? The Ossoff-Perdue race is not a special election.

The Ossoff-Perdue race also isn't a jungle primary Wink
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5148 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »

And Warnock - while I don’t like a lot of his comments over the years - you’ve got to admit his drip is amazing. Great sense of style. A role model for males across America
It's not just that you are a crook senator
MelihV
Rookie
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.04

P P P
« Reply #5149 on: January 06, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »

County breakdown of remaining absentee ballots-

If they are absentee votes it really doesnt matter which county they are from, they will mostly lean dem
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies