Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:00:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 226
Author Topic: Georgia senate seats runoff(s) megathread  (Read 262320 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5025 on: January 06, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »

In regards to terms starting (forgive me if my understanding of Senate rules is a little rusty):

Perdue’s term expired on the third, and the seat is empty pending a winner. Legally, the seat is empty and Loeffler is theoretically now the senior, and only senator from Georgia) Ossoff can be sworn in as soon as certification takes place, now that we have passed the 3rd of Jan.

Loeffler was appointed to fill a vacancy, and thus remains a senator until certification of the 2020/21 election occurs.

Unless I’m mistaken, Loeffler could vote today, but Perdue cannot.

In terms of seniority, it’s also a Tossup. If both are sworn in together, Ossoff with be the senior senator, as his name comes first alphabetically. However, if his race takes longer to certify, or goes to a recount, Warnock could easily end up sworn in first.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5026 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »

This has got to be a record for Biggest Senator Upgrades.

Santorum to Casey is always going to be my #1 pick for that.

Frothy mixture, indeed.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #5027 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:52 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks Abrams is getting too much credit? Sure, she did a fine job, but imo it was automatic voter registration that did the bulk of it. Also, literally everyone was campaigning down there, so it's unclear whether she's actually SuperStacey or just a part of the network.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #5028 on: January 06, 2021, 08:27:17 AM »

Also, unrelated, this is on the top 10 of the top ten most replied threads.
TopShelfGoal

« Reply #5029 on: January 06, 2021, 08:27:39 AM »

It is amazing how re-conciliatory and bridge building the tone of people like Warnock, Clyburn and the late John Lewis' was (all people who fought against and or experienced lots of racism) compared the woke-tivists crowd (mostly white) on social media who use extremely racially divisive screechy nails on a chalkboard type language. They should learn a thing from people like Warnock and Clyburn.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #5030 on: January 06, 2021, 08:27:48 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks Abrams is getting too much credit? Sure, she did a fine job, but imo it was automatic voter registration that did the bulk of it. Also, literally everyone was campaigning down there, so it's unclear whether she's actually SuperStacey or just a part of the network.

She is the face of the non-candidate operations. She deserves credit for pushing the idea to donors that Georgia was a battleground state. This started well before her run for Governor.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5031 on: January 06, 2021, 08:31:06 AM »

This is a big win for election pollsters, which showed Warnock having a larger lead and both candidates winning by a very thin 1-2% margin.  It's actually uncanny, especially when compared to all the election day polls which greatly overestimated Biden in several states.  Looks like they got it bang on (within 1%!)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5032 on: January 06, 2021, 08:34:54 AM »

I am now projecting Stacey Abrams has won the governor race in 2022.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5033 on: January 06, 2021, 08:36:40 AM »

Also, unrelated, this is on the top 10 of the top ten most replied threads.

That's probably going to happen more and more with these kinds of threads because with the hardware upgrade and other forum optimizations, it's no longer necessary to split large threads at ~80 pages anymore. We can keep it going up to 150-200, or more, depending on how long the thread will stay active. For example, this thread will probably die out within a week or so, so there is no point in starting a new one.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5034 on: January 06, 2021, 08:39:35 AM »

This is a big win for election pollsters, which showed Warnock having a larger lead and both candidates winning by a very thin 1-2% margin.  It's actually uncanny, especially when compared to all the election day polls which greatly overestimated Biden in several states.  Looks like they got it bang on (within 1%!)

Georgia polling was very good in the GE, too, FWIW.
Motorcity

« Reply #5035 on: January 06, 2021, 08:41:11 AM »

There seems to be around 20,000 Perdue-Warnock voters. I knew there would be some, but thats a lot more than I thought. Why is that? Just didn't like a women? Or are they Lincoln Republicans who can't stand Leoffler
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5036 on: January 06, 2021, 08:42:19 AM »

There seems to be around 20,000 Perdue-Warnock voters. I knew there would be some, but thats a lot more than I thought. Why is that? Just didn't like a women? Or are they Lincoln Republicans who can't stand Leoffler

yes
Motorcity

« Reply #5037 on: January 06, 2021, 08:43:11 AM »

At minimum I fully expect Biden, Warnock, Ossoff, Obama, and Harris to do everything in their power to help her.

She handed the Democrats the White House and the senate and turned Georgia into a blue state much faster than one thought.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #5038 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »

My guess is anti-Trump, but have positive associations with Perdue from his first term.
Motorcity

« Reply #5039 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:35 AM »

yes
Pretty crazy there are Republicans who are more sexist than racist
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #5040 on: January 06, 2021, 08:44:55 AM »

Maybe they just didn’t like women, but Perdue was an elected incumbent, plus he is from a respected Georgia family while Loeffler is a total nutjob.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #5041 on: January 06, 2021, 08:46:43 AM »

Yes, I have noticed that.  It's strange how they can't get all the neighboring states right (NC, SC, FL...) but Georgia is easy.  I was expecting a 2-3 point error in favor of the Republicans, but I was obviously too generous in hindsight.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5042 on: January 06, 2021, 08:47:47 AM »

Apparently, there was another runoff on the ballot, according to the SoS results page.

It was won by a woman called Lauren McDonald, a Republican, for an office I have never heard of.

She even got more votes than Warnock ...

Will the Republicans still cry fraud despite winning that one ?
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #5043 on: January 06, 2021, 08:50:16 AM »

I’m going to have to go back and get some good schadenfreude from some blue avatars on here. I hope selling your party’s soul to Donald Trump of all people was worth it in 2016. Enjoy the next two years in the minority.
Motorcity

« Reply #5044 on: January 06, 2021, 08:50:29 AM »

Yes, I have noticed that.  It's strange how they can't get all the neighboring states right (NC, SC, FL...) but Georgia is easy.  I was expecting a 2-3 point error in favor of the Republicans, but I was obviously too generous in hindsight.
I think Georgia still be considered a lean republican state made Trump voters more open about answering polls. You are MUCH less likely to be judged as a MAGA voter in Georgia than Florida and North Carolina.
Motorcity

« Reply #5045 on: January 06, 2021, 08:51:37 AM »

I’m going to have to go back and get some good schadenfreude from some blue avatars on here. I hope selling your party’s soul to Donald Trump of all people was worth it in 2016. Enjoy the next two years in the minority.
Not to daper the festive mood, but they got the Supreme Court so it was worth it. And in my opinion the 2017 tax cuts are permanent.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5046 on: January 06, 2021, 08:52:57 AM »

At minimum I fully expect Biden, Warnock, Ossoff, Obama, and Harris to do everything in their power to help her.

She handed the Democrats the White House and the senate and turned Georgia into a blue state much faster than one thought.

I get we all want to give Abrams credit right now, but there are hundreds or thousands of staffers and volunteers for the Georgia Democratic party who deserve just as much. They all worked pretty tirelessly in this race, in November, and in 2018 to build up the ground game and the infrastructure to make these wins happen. Don't forget to recognize their work!
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #5047 on: January 06, 2021, 08:58:47 AM »

Apparently, there was another runoff on the ballot, according to the SoS results page.

It was won by a woman called Lauren McDonald, a Republican, for an office I have never heard of.

Lauren McDonald is a man -- he was up for re-election as public service commissioner. 
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5048 on: January 06, 2021, 08:59:25 AM »

Not a woman. Lauren used to be a male name.

https://ballotpedia.org/Bubba_McDonald
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5049 on: January 06, 2021, 09:03:23 AM »

NBC changed it's characterization of the Ossoff race from Too Close to Call to Too Close to Call with Ossoff leading, which means they think he'll win.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 226  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies