Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 04:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 86
Author Topic: Voter suppresion/"stealing the election" megathread  (Read 144918 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: October 09, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »

Deplorable authoritarians.

And with that, Trump keeps Wisconsin.

Exactly nothing has changed in Wisconsin. Wisconsin always counts votes up until the polls close and nothing received afterward.

You guys are shrieking for no reason. Biden's campaign will plan around what has been the norm for years.

Yes it's been the norm, but this is the first election with a massive partisan gap in VBM...
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #451 on: October 09, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »

Didn't even have to guess who liked this post
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #452 on: October 09, 2020, 09:54:23 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2020, 10:36:54 PM by Arch »

Exactly nothing has changed in Wisconsin. Wisconsin always counts votes up until the polls close and nothing received afterward.

You guys are shrieking for no reason. Biden's campaign will plan around what has been the norm for years.

Yes it's been the norm, but this is the first election with a massive partisan gap in VBM...

Yes, and guess what, Democrats are sending in their ballots extremely early for that reason.

Within a week, the Biden campaign will switch messaging to focus on early voting instead of VBM. They're on top of this. I get texts 2-3 a day, and I already voted.

FYI. Bernie's network is actively helping Joe's campaign, something that never happened in 2016 in Wisconsin.
Splash
United States

« Reply #453 on: October 09, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #454 on: October 10, 2020, 02:38:01 AM »

Very very nice. Let's see how long it lasts.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #455 on: October 10, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »

This one has a decent chance of surviving at the appeals level, because it was Abbott who ordered a change to procedures < 1 month before the election, and the federal court is merely restoring the status quo.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #456 on: October 10, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »

I feel like this shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place. Just let the counties have as many drop boxes as they want!
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #457 on: October 10, 2020, 04:29:55 PM »

GOP has already appealed it to the 5th circuit. 

The Republican gameplay: steal the courts --> have courts steal elections --> steal more court seats --> never answer to voters.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #458 on: October 10, 2020, 05:25:17 PM »

GOP has already appealed it to the 5th circuit. 

The Republican gameplay: steal the courts --> have courts steal elections --> steal more court seats --> never answer to voters.

That’s Alito right? I imagine Dems will appeal it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #459 on: October 11, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »

Wisconsin has already hit 20% of 2016 turnout and almost 50% of all ballots requested have already been returned so I think it's safe to say that Democrats aren't waiting until the end to mail in their ballots nor is the Biden campaign encouraging that.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #460 on: October 11, 2020, 05:46:01 PM »

Wisconsin has already hit 20% of 2016 turnout and almost 50% of all ballots requested have already been returned so I think it's safe to say that Democrats aren't waiting until the end to mail in their ballots nor is the Biden campaign encouraging that.

Also I imagine in a week or so they will start making a push to tell folks not to put their ballots in the mail.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #461 on: October 11, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »

Also I imagine in a week or so they will start making a push to tell folks not to put their ballots in the mail.

Yep. They will shift focus to Early Vote as soon as it opens.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #462 on: October 12, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »

I don't think this will matter much but good news.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #463 on: October 12, 2020, 07:21:20 PM »

Actually it would be...preclearance just means Bill Barr's DOJ would have to approve it. Gee I wonder what they would do.
His July order would have had to been pre-cleared also.

Under Texas Election Code 86.006 a voted mail ballot may be returned by:

(1) Mail;
(2) Common or Contract Carrier;
(3) In person to the office of the early voting clerk on election day. The voter must present a valid ID.

The July order permitted the return to happen at any time.

Some county clerks decided to open multiple locations, leave them unattended. It would be like throwing the ballot in a dumpster that someone had spray-painted with "Orange Man Bad"
tinman64

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.57

P P
« Reply #464 on: October 12, 2020, 09:20:24 PM »

California orders GOP to remove unofficial ballot boxes

https://apnews.com/article/los-angeles-fresno-elections-california-santa-ana-be803bfe99f5eb35e17a6ee56315deb0

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) —

California’s chief elections official on Monday ordered Republicans to remove unofficial ballot drop boxes from churches, gun shops and other locations and Attorney General Xavier Becerra warned those behind the “vote tampering” could face prosecution.

Republican refused, saying they are taking advantage of California’s liberal ballot collection law that allows anyone to collect ballots from voters and deliver them to county election offices.

“As of right now, we’re going to continue our ballot harvesting program,” California Republican Party spokesman Hector Barajas said.
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #465 on: October 12, 2020, 09:55:11 PM »

COVID on its own will surppress the vote - skewed Democrat.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #466 on: October 13, 2020, 12:49:56 AM »

Jay 🏳️‍⚧️
trippytropicana
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #467 on: October 13, 2020, 12:53:58 AM »

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #468 on: October 13, 2020, 12:54:49 AM »

3-judge panel, all Trump nominees
Of f***ing course.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #469 on: October 13, 2020, 01:02:31 AM »

TX and GA need to be wrestled away from the claws of the Republicans in 3 weeks.

Republicans are the enemy of the people.

Should Biden and Dems win big, the first thing they need to do is pack the Supreme Court and pass a significant election reform package, with automatic voter registration, same day registration, a national election results page, a precinct for every 400 voters within walking distance, expansion of mail-in and drop off locations, de-politification of the postal service and proper funding and a lot more.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #470 on: October 13, 2020, 01:09:35 AM »

Waiting to hear from Monstro on why this is actually good for Biden
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #471 on: October 13, 2020, 01:11:16 AM »

inb4 Monstro says this won’t matter for some reason
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #472 on: October 13, 2020, 01:13:21 AM »

just wow. what hacks in the judiciary
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #473 on: October 13, 2020, 01:58:48 AM »

The courts are the worst component of The United States governemnt by far.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #474 on: October 13, 2020, 03:14:21 AM »

TX and GA need to be wrestled away from the claws of the Republicans in 3 weeks.

Republicans are the enemy of the people.

Should Biden and Dems win big, the first thing they need to do is pack the Supreme Court and pass a significant election reform package, with automatic voter registration, same day registration, a national election results page, a precinct for every 400 voters within walking distance, expansion of mail-in and drop off locations, de-politification of the postal service and proper funding and a lot more.

I agree with your fundamental statement regarding TX & GA and voter suppression, when it comes to equal access to voting.

In terms of your self-quote from a few hours previously, I generally agree when it comes passing a significant election reform package, including AVR, Same Day Registration, expansion of mail-in and drop-off locations, and maintaining the integrity of the USPS when it comes to delivery ballots to the Citizens equally in every State, County, & Municipality, as well as ensuring that there are not inequalities when it comes to ballots getting delivered in a timely fashion to local election authorities.

That being said:

1.) Oregon has AVR (Meaning within a Statewide context,  that every American Citizen who has any contact with the DMV, is automatically registered to vote, unless they choose to "opt-out".

If they "opt-in" they do not need select a Party Registration, but can certainly choose to do so, and if they don't select a party registration, are automatically registered as a "Non-Party Affiliated" voter.

2.) Oregon is also a Universal VbM State (Humbly speaking as an Oregonian, the first in the Nation to adopt VbM), so basically your ballot gets sent to your mailing address on file.

3.) We also have official mail drop-ballot boxes located conveniently throughout places both City and Rural Areas, so that folks don't have to worry about having a postage stamp floating around in their pockets.

4.) Part of your statement is perhaps somewhat irrelevant when it comes to enhancing universal voting, such as "packing the Supreme Court", which to many might be considered a separate issue from the whole Voting Rights scene.  After all in many cases these are State and District Courts, rather than the Supreme Court making these decisions.

5.) "A precinct for every 400 voters within walking distance" sounds a bit ludicrous, if I am reading your statement at face value.

There are many places within the United States, both within City / Suburbs / Rurals, where this is simply not feasible.

This would create a massive expansion of precincts within the US the likes of which we have never seen, and we would end up with 10,000s of additional precincts with simply 1-2 total voters.

Perhaps you are suggesting that population density should allow for increased numbers of in-person voting precincts?

I think that is the direction you're going here, although (400) voters for every precinct within walking district had me scratching my head, since population density levels, even in larger urban/suburban parts of America are much less so than in many European Countries.

6.) I do have some concerns regarding the "national elections result reporting page", since quite frankly one of the strengths of the American electoral results systems when it comes to foreign hacking, etc has been the decentralized nature of our election reporting systems.

I spent at least (20) Hours going through precinct results from OH in the '04 GE, when I was a younger guy, because a roommate of mine was claiming the voter-hacking from Diebold systems was the reason that Kerry lost in '04!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies