BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:07:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?  (Read 21109 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »

First off, I can only speak about what I see and read from what comes up in my little bubble. Which is, most of the people are upset about what happened. But are livid about how the rioters are burning and destroying things.

Will this hurt Trump, in some areas. Will it help Trump, in some areas. I think this will just add to the great divide we see in our Nation. Honestly, I'm to the point where I view both Trump and Biden as part of the problem. Both parties need to clean house.

Also, while I'm on my high horse. Not all white people are racist. Not all black people are thugs. Not all Latinos are illegals. Not all Republicans are bigots. We need to stop listening to the media and our leaders that are using and pushing the divide between us.

How on earth is Biden a problem? He's not even in office right now. Trump actually inserted himself into the situation by saying that looters should be shot. Is Biden also responsible for the response to the pandemic because of "BOTH SIDES!"?

If you can't see how Biden is part of the problem then you will never see it.

Both parties use anger to drive up votes for them so they can win elections to push their gains and policies that make them richer and more powerful.

He isn't to blame for this problem. End of debate.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »

First off, I can only speak about what I see and read from what comes up in my little bubble. Which is, most of the people are upset about what happened. But are livid about how the rioters are burning and destroying things.

Will this hurt Trump, in some areas. Will it help Trump, in some areas. I think this will just add to the great divide we see in our Nation. Honestly, I'm to the point where I view both Trump and Biden as part of the problem. Both parties need to clean house.

Also, while I'm on my high horse. Not all white people are racist. Not all black people are thugs. Not all Latinos are illegals. Not all Republicans are bigots. We need to stop listening to the media and our leaders that are using and pushing the divide between us.

How on earth is Biden a problem? He's not even in office right now. Trump actually inserted himself into the situation by saying that looters should be shot. Is Biden also responsible for the response to the pandemic because of "BOTH SIDES!"?

Both parties use anger to drive up votes for them so they can win elections to push their gains and policies that make them richer and more powerful.

and people like you are why there will never be any change. End of debate.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

I shouldn't respond to you anymore, but since you want to make this personal for no reason I will say that people like you are why this country is messed up. You perpetuate years and years of ugly history because it benefits you. You don't want change. You like things as they are. You want the clock to roll back decades. Now I'm done.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »

But change is coming...1/20/21 will be the end of an error. Wink
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2020, 12:28:31 PM »

If protesters are killed, all of those people Trump was looking to peel off are going to come running back to Biden.

Also, Black turnout could skyrocket because of this. And youth turnout in general, this is one of the most engaging issues with the demographic.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »

If protesters are killed, all of those people Trump was looking to peel off are going to come running back to Biden.

Also, Black turnout could skyrocket because of this. And youth turnout in general, this is one of the most engaging issues with the demographic.

That's exactly what I was predicting because of this, and this could very well hurt him in states like Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and even in the rust belt.

Also I have a feeling that many of the never-Biden democrats are going to reluctantly vote for Biden anyways because of this.
voice_of_resistance
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.34, S: 5.22

« Reply #256 on: May 31, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »

That's exactly what I was predicting because of this, and this could very well hurt him in states like Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, and even in the rust belt.

Also I have a feeling that many of the never-Biden democrats are going to reluctantly vote for Biden anyways because of this.

It's definitely not 1968 in White America, and it definitely isn't even 2015 post-Ferguson/Baltimore. The general feeling from white people, and this is just anecdotal, is that many of my friends who are 'apolitical' are actually speaking out about this-- this feels different somehow and Trump's quote about "if the looting starts the shooting starts" is perfect to keep bringing up in ads. I think that riots don't look good for an incumbent regardless of party. That being said, if these riots keep going on Collin Peterson's goose may be cooked.
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #257 on: May 31, 2020, 01:06:48 PM »

Biden staff donating bail money for Minnesota riot participants/protestors will be an issue.  I am in Minnesota, and if you think it won't be an issue you are dead wrong.

Minnesota was close BEFORE all this went down.   Walz is losing popularity and he may end up dragging Biden down.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Minnesota right now was a dead heat, or perhaps a slight (1-2 point) Trump lead.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »

The thing is that all of these riots are happening in D states/ and D cities, which means Democrats can't blame the GOP for this since Minnesota is fully controlled by them. As for leadership, Trump is stopping the riots, he sending national guard, and just is about declare ANTIFA a terrorist organization. People want order returned to their cities, which is what the President is supporting.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2020, 02:13:57 PM »

Biden staff donating bail money for Minnesota riot participants/protestors will be an issue.  I am in Minnesota, and if you think it won't be an issue you are dead wrong.

Minnesota was close BEFORE all this went down.   Walz is losing popularity and he may end up dragging Biden down.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Minnesota right now was a dead heat, or perhaps a slight (1-2 point) Trump lead.

This is called wish-casting. There is zero empirical evidence for the majority of statements in your post, beyond what you "feel" as someone who lives in Minnesota. No polling, no focus groups. Just your innate "sense" of what Minnesotans consider an issue or not.

Duke of York

« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »

Do you have any proof of your claims?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2020, 03:17:51 PM »

This is called wish-casting. There is zero empirical evidence for the majority of statements in your post, beyond what you "feel" as someone who lives in Minnesota. No polling, no focus groups. Just your innate "sense" of what Minnesotans consider an issue or not.

"Do you have any evidence at all?"

"Well, we have plenty of hearsay and conjecture; those are kinds of evidence."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #262 on: May 31, 2020, 03:19:27 PM »

I like how not a single SN2903 post in this thread has any recommends.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #263 on: May 31, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »

Okay okay okay. So. My mom's a lawyer and I changed planes at O'Hare once, so I know from middle-class Midwesterners. I think Trump gains 2 points in Minnesota, loses 1.5 points in Michigan, gains 2 points in WOW but loses 1.75 points in the rest of Wisconsin, and gains exactly 1,488 swing voters in the Chicago collar counties Smiley
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #264 on: May 31, 2020, 03:34:07 PM »

Oh yes beautiful, a flame war!

Apologies to get political on a political forum, but I think the clear rational way to prevent riots like these is to tackle and reform the systemic issues that trigger these riots. Happy people do not riot. Discontent abused people do when their only option for justice is mob justice. Instead of juvenile condemning rioters for rioting, we should be condemning the more complex issue of systemic oppression which caused these riots, similar riots in the past, and damn straight will cause similar riots in the future.

As for electorally, there was a chance for Trump to make ground here if he handled this crisis with not just compassion for the victim, but also an acknowledgement of the wider issues of topic here. Riots are ugly things, and it doesn't take much to climb to a moral high ground above them. Instead, he incited violence against protestors on Twitter and started flying Predator drones over the Twin Cities. Now I'm gonna dip from this thread, it is scary here.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #265 on: May 31, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2020, 05:17:23 PM by Senator YE »

Yeah, any take that somehow Trump benefits from this is just in bad faith.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 31, 2020, 04:25:29 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/31/george-floyd-death-minnesota-political-landscape-290082?fbclid=IwAR3r3gEWM1sfq-8HYBjV6bHmzrPFQ71Jz0pyj0oAvEn8efOR1IOAp2k4itc

“I do think that, particularly if this continues, the [congressional] districts like Dean Phillips’ district or Angie Craig’s district that right now I would say are relatively safe for the Democratic incumbent, could be very much in play,” he said. “Both of those districts will be decided in large part by suburban women voters, and it would be hard for me to imagine those people aren’t watching this scared, like everybody else, for their family and for their children.”
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2020, 04:29:30 PM »

Not sure why people think this will help Trump.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: May 31, 2020, 04:43:56 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/31/george-floyd-death-minnesota-political-landscape-290082?fbclid=IwAR3r3gEWM1sfq-8HYBjV6bHmzrPFQ71Jz0pyj0oAvEn8efOR1IOAp2k4itc

“I do think that, particularly if this continues, the [congressional] districts like Dean Phillips’ district or Angie Craig’s district that right now I would say are relatively safe for the Democratic incumbent, could be very much in play,” he said. “Both of those districts will be decided in large part by suburban women voters, and it would be hard for me to imagine those people aren’t watching this scared, like everybody else, for their family and for their children.”

this is such a horrific take. but "dems in dissaray!!!!!" must continue somehow
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2020, 04:45:59 PM »

Biden’s lead against Trump expanded to 8 points from 3 in the most recent YouGov poll.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »

Not sure why people think this will help Trump.

People who have IQs over 80, aren't delusional, or aren't on serious drugs don't.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #271 on: May 31, 2020, 04:56:03 PM »

I just polled my fiancée, my friends, and one random guy on the street. Sounds like Trump is losing PA by 80%.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #272 on: May 31, 2020, 05:05:09 PM »

At the end of the day, Trump is President, and his lack of leadership and inflaming racial tension is to blame.

Again if you believe Republicans will benefit from this then you believe that the Republican Party is the Party of White Supremacy and the disenfranchisement of Colored People. So if any Red, Green, or Yellow avatars call the Republican Party a hate group I don't want to hear anything from Blue avatars or SN666. Because you guys openly said that the Republicans can benefit from the situation because it is a direct threat to white supremacy.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #273 on: May 31, 2020, 05:27:05 PM »

I'm noticing a (sexist imo) tendency to mythologize "suburban women" and discuss them as a totum pro parte for a specific kind of casually racist middle-aged wino who's pro-choice and doesn't like seeing coarse language on the news but is also secretly pining for an excuse to go back to voting for Big Republican Daddy to lower her taxes and put the hoodlums back in their place. Of course there are plenty of women like this in middle-class suburbs, and they're some of the worst people in America along with their philistine husbands, but there are also plenty of "suburban women" these days who are downscale, racial (or sexual) minorities, or who've actually become consistently center-left over the past five years once one or a few hot-button issues lured them into Camp Non-Atlas Blue. The Romney-Clinton vote in 2016 and the "burbstomping" in 2018 weren't just the result of the parties' coalitions shifting; they were also a demonstration of how many American suburbs are simply not the same sorts of communities they were in 1968 or even 1988.

I especially don't trust any article that refers to the Iron Range, even the Trump-era Iron Range, as part of a "sea of red" to understand this.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #274 on: May 31, 2020, 05:28:23 PM »

Nobody is basing their November decision on this, no matter how much right-wingers want it to be true.
They are riots not protests.

Yeah I do agree no large group will actually base their decisions on it but people probably aren't as sympathetic anymore once you just show those clips

I'll agree but add most people that are basing their decision to vote for Trump on this probably weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place--if anything it'll be used to turn out cons who might've stayed home.

I guess I'll rephrase, nobody at all is going to even remember this come November, except people directly impacted by the events.

I'm fairly certain Trump will saturate the airwaves as it'll get some people's attention off of his mishandling of the pandemic.

100k+ dead with 20% unemployment, and Trump is spending his time talking about protests where everyone agrees the cop cold-blooded murdered the guy.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out swimmingly.
They are riots not protests. What happened is absolutely horrible and sickening and in my opinion the officer is guilty of minimum 2nd degree, but the riots are also very wrong and distuburing and the media needs to stop adding fuel to the fire.

How, specifically, is the media "adding fuel to the fire"?
By reporting when blacks get killed by cops more than when whites get killed by cops, tho twice as many whites are killed.  Also by emphasizing the race aspect.

There are 200 million more whites than blacks in America.

If you control for violent crime rates, blacks aren't more likely to be killed by the police.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies