BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:47:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?  (Read 20221 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 02, 2020, 11:27:53 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #326 on: June 02, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »

LOL

As usual, subsample health warnings apply.

the topline though is horrific anyway
TC 25
Rookie
« Reply #327 on: June 02, 2020, 12:03:59 PM »

Dems thinking MN is money in the bank do so at their own peril.

The Walz admin overreach on COVID combined with the inability and/or refusal to respond to the riots last Thursday and Friday have had an impact.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #328 on: June 02, 2020, 12:37:53 PM »

Trump's approval dropped 4 points since May in a new Monmouth poll.
Duke of York

« Reply #329 on: June 02, 2020, 02:14:39 PM »

Dems thinking MN is money in the bank do so at their own peril.

The Walz admin overreach on COVID combined with the inability and/or refusal to respond to the riots last Thursday and Friday have had an impact.
Prove it
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #330 on: June 02, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

Make sense, most people trust the National Guard over the Police.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #331 on: June 02, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »

This seems relevant.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #332 on: June 02, 2020, 05:59:54 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 06:03:46 PM by SN2903 »

Back to the OP topic: It is absolutely outrageous the lack of condemnation by Democrats of the riots. It is sickening. These people are destroying communities. When will they step up and lead! THIS IS NOT ABOUT GEORGE FLOYD ANYMORE. Businesses are being destroyed.
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #333 on: June 02, 2020, 06:05:54 PM »

I never thought these protests would help Trump. When they become riots and incumbents act poorly they reflect badly on the incumbent.
So Trump is to blame for riots? Wow

Trump is to blame for rather than taking charge and trying to unify and heal the nation instead hiding in his bunker and throwing tantrums on Twitter blaming other people.
You are either uninformed or just a flat out idiotic! Presidents don't choose to go to the bunker! He was told to. I would like to see more leadership out of your party then: but Trump every freaking time something happens. They haven't done anything to calm things down. Zilch. Zada. Nothing!
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #334 on: June 02, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »

I never thought these protests would help Trump. When they become riots and incumbents act poorly they reflect badly on the incumbent.

Trump is to blame for rather than taking charge and trying to unify and heal the nation instead hiding in his bunker and throwing tantrums on Twitter blaming other people.
You are either uninformed or just a flat out idiotic! Presidents don't choose to go to the bunker! He was told to. I would like to see more leadership out of your party then: but Trump every freaking time something happens. They haven't done anything to calm things down. Zilch. Zada. Nothing!

You are literally the worst poster on this site.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #335 on: June 02, 2020, 08:20:49 PM »

There is one odd way in which the protests might deliver MN to Trump even if they're actually a net negative for him here (as they're shaping up to be). If they encourage previously foolish Republican strategists to invest here, even if that happens for completely the wrong reasons, they'll see dividends in a state they've consistently underrated.

That would be at the expense of the states Trump needs to defend, which Democrats will make major pushes for: Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. It doesn't look like Trump can afford to spread himself thin and go on offense. Still though, I don't see any harm in Biden playing at least some defense in the Land of 10,000 lakes. I'm still fairly confident it will deliver for Biden in the end by the mid single digits, give or take, though. It's lean D.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #336 on: June 02, 2020, 08:47:22 PM »

Back to the OP topic: It is absolutely outrageous the lack of condemnation by Democrats of the riots. It is sickening. These people are destroying communities. When will they step up and lead! THIS IS NOT ABOUT GEORGE FLOYD ANYMORE. Businesses are being destroyed.

So a Businesses or building or is more important to you than A mans life
look it sucks that the buildings are being burned and destroyed but let me be very clear about this

A building can be repaired and replaced
George Floyd, Eric Garner and the many who have lost their lives to police violence can never be replaced

Sure I feel bad for bushiness owners who may have lost their building to a fire
but I feel way more sympathetic to a Mom who now has to bury their son or daughter because they were senselessly killed by the police

As I said many of these Businesses will be rebuild and they will recover from this
but for many of the Parents who will never get to see their kids again after their lives have been taken by the police....Many Moms and Fathers will never recover from that
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #337 on: June 02, 2020, 08:58:16 PM »

THIS IS NOT ABOUT TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION ANYMORE. Tea is being destroyed.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #338 on: June 02, 2020, 11:47:24 PM »

THIS IS NOT ABOUT TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION ANYMORE. Tea is being destroyed.

Imagine comparing a very specific item being destroyed to directly protest against a specific tax to looting some random small store.
The boston tea party can be compared legitimately to the burning of the police precinct. What it can't be compared to is random wanton looting.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #339 on: June 02, 2020, 11:58:41 PM »

Imagine comparing a very specific item being destroyed to directly protest against a specific tax to looting some random small store.
The boston tea party can be compared legitimately to the burning of the police precinct. What it can't be compared to is random wanton looting.

So would you consider the burning of the police precinct acceptable?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2020, 12:30:44 AM »

So would you consider the burning of the police precinct acceptable?

Its debatable there and I say leanyes, there is a very valid debate there and my main problem is the fire spreading,but the best outcome of an attempted looting of any small business involves the 2nd amendment Smiley
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #341 on: June 03, 2020, 12:55:24 AM »

If dems biggest critique of Trump is tweets they're in deep crap

Says the guy who's candidate is down 6-8 points
According to the polls which have been notoriously wrong. Also it's only June 2nd.

It's worth pointing out that the 2016 national polls had Clinton up by 3.3 points, and she won the NPV by 2.1 points. The narrative that pollsters don't know what they're doing and are "notoriously wrong" is not supported by the numbers.

What the polls missed was the shift towards Trump in the last two weeks in PA, MI, and WI, which probably would have been reflected in the polls had the campaign gone on longer.
They got it wrong in the swing states period and the national polls were also too much toward Clinton.

Trump was actually leading right now in 2016.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #342 on: June 03, 2020, 03:10:43 AM »

If dems biggest critique of Trump is tweets they're in deep crap

Says the guy who's candidate is down 6-8 points
According to the polls which have been notoriously wrong. Also it's only June 2nd.

It's worth pointing out that the 2016 national polls had Clinton up by 3.3 points, and she won the NPV by 2.1 points. The narrative that pollsters don't know what they're doing and are "notoriously wrong" is not supported by the numbers.

What the polls missed was the shift towards Trump in the last two weeks in PA, MI, and WI, which probably would have been reflected in the polls had the campaign gone on longer.
They got it wrong in the swing states period and the national polls were also too much toward Clinton.

Trump was actually leading right now in 2016.

SN there is a thing called MARGIN of ERROR
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #343 on: June 03, 2020, 03:50:17 AM »

Not a bad question for a first-timer.

I'm going to guess you're young, white, and suburban. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Looking way back, I have little doubt that the "long hot summers" of the 1960s hurt Humphrey a bit in 1968, though the Vietnam War was also a big factor.

In the aftermath of the 1992 Rodney King LA riots, only 4% of respondents said they would help President Bush (41), with 10% saying they'd help Clinton and 9% saying they'd help Ross Perot.

Today is different. I have heard no one attempt to in any way nuance their condemnation of, much less condone, what that cop did to George Floyd. The conservative National Review roundly condemned the 4-day delay in arresting Derek Chauvin. Why none of the other 3 officers have been charged is beyond me.

Having said that, yes, those who were directly harmed by the MN looting, fires, etc. may be slightly
--slightly--more likely to vote Trump than before. But for most people, the optics do not favor Trump. He has called for more force against protesters--many of them peaceful. Many white youth and even law enforcement officers are joining the movement against police misconduct, which tends to hurt Trump's chances.

The only hope of Trump being helped overall is that people are secretly harboring ill will toward the protesters. But I think the number of those who would previously have voted Biden, and are now leaning Trump, is quite small.

I look forward to seeing you grow politically.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #344 on: June 03, 2020, 01:57:33 PM »

Not a bad question for a first-timer.

I'm going to guess you're young, white, and suburban. Please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Looking way back, I have little doubt that the "long hot summers" of the 1960s hurt Humphrey a bit in 1968, though the Vietnam War was also a big factor.

In the aftermath of the 1992 Rodney King LA riots, only 4% of respondents said they would help President Bush (41), with 10% saying they'd help Clinton and 9% saying they'd help Ross Perot.

Today is different. I have heard no one attempt to in any way nuance their condemnation of, much less condone, what that cop did to George Floyd. The conservative National Review roundly condemned the 4-day delay in arresting Derek Chauvin. Why none of the other 3 officers have been charged is beyond me.

Having said that, yes, those who were directly harmed by the MN looting, fires, etc. may be slightly
--slightly--more likely to vote Trump than before. But for most people, the optics do not favor Trump. He has called for more force against protesters--many of them peaceful. Many white youth and even law enforcement officers are joining the movement against police misconduct, which tends to hurt Trump's chances.

The only hope of Trump being helped overall is that people are secretly harboring ill will toward the protesters. But I think the number of those who would previously have voted Biden, and are now leaning Trump, is quite small.

I look forward to seeing you grow politically.

You missed the drama earlier in the thread. The user who asked this question was revealed to be a sockpuppet and was banned. But otherwise, your points are valid.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #345 on: June 03, 2020, 02:15:38 PM »

I am actually curious to see a new MN Pres poll. Highly doubt it benefits Trump much, if at all
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »

Given that Minnesota was the only state where Biden experienced a statistically significant snapback we can say the answer was no.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2020, 08:50:24 AM »

Given that Minnesota was the only state where Biden experienced a statistically significant snapback we can say the answer was no.

And Maine and New Hampshire. Biden actually overperformed here relative to Obama.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2020, 10:08:40 AM »

And Maine and New Hampshire. Biden actually overperformed here relative to Obama.

Biden still wasn't able to match either of Obama's percentages or margins of victory in Maine, and lost several counties which Obama had carried-costing him ME-02 in the process. Maine could very well be a state that might flip to the Republicans in the near-future (i.e. within the next 20 years or so).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2020, 10:44:02 AM »

It's interesting b/c it appears that in states where a lot of the hubbub was (Minnesota, Portland, etc.), those states saw a pretty good Biden increase.

Wisconsin is an interesting case, since it did snap back a tiny bit, but not as much as PA and MI but it's also possible WI is just getting redder too
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies