BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:08:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: BLM riots delivering Minnesota to Trump?  (Read 20241 times)
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2020, 08:56:37 PM »

Nobody is basing their November decision on this, no matter how much right-wingers want it to be true.
They are riots not protests.

Yeah I do agree no large group will actually base their decisions on it but people probably aren't as sympathetic anymore once you just show those clips

I'll agree but add most people that are basing their decision to vote for Trump on this probably weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place--if anything it'll be used to turn out cons who might've stayed home.

I guess I'll rephrase, nobody at all is going to even remember this come November, except people directly impacted by the events.

I'm fairly certain Trump will saturate the airwaves as it'll get some people's attention off of his mishandling of the pandemic.

100k+ dead with 20% unemployment, and Trump is spending his time talking about protests where everyone agrees the cop cold-blooded murdered the guy.

Yeah, I'm sure that'll work out swimmingly.
They are riots not protests. What happened is absolutely horrible and sickening and in my opinion the officer is guilty of minimum 2nd degree, but the riots are also very wrong and distuburing and the media needs to stop adding fuel to the fire.

How, specifically, is the media "adding fuel to the fire"?
I largely agree with SN2093 (in just this area - I would not say that for the most part rioters are the most active contingent of those in Minneapolis right now). The media isn't highlighting the million compassionate things ordinary Americans do and instead focusing on fracas in one MW city just because.
The media isn't blameless. It has to take its share of the blame. Sadly it is too proud and arrogant to do so.

I see what you mean about disproportionate coverage of the rioters over the more numerous peaceful protesters. But I think riots are so disruptive to society - in what other situation are hundreds of buildings getting burned down, looted, and trashed? - that they'll naturally get outsized attention. Sure, CNN can spend most of its time talking about a peaceful march or kneel-in but the rioters will have a much more immediate impact on society, especially the people who live or own businesses in their path.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2020, 09:01:19 PM »

Meanwhile protests continue to spread and grow throughout the United States...

Currently I am watching live footage from LA & Sacramento California, where the sun hasn't even set yet as of 19:00 Pacific Time....

Protesters got within 6 Blocks of the White House a few hours back....

I have flashbacks to 1992 where: "No Justice, No Peace" was the chant in the streets of America....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/may/29/george-floyd-killing-protests-minneapolis-minnesota-us-twitter-donald-trump-latest-news-live
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2020, 09:03:00 PM »

Nobody is basing their November decision on this, no matter how much right-wingers want it to be true.

Yeah I do agree no large group will actually base their decisions on it but people probably aren't as sympathetic anymore once you just show those clips

I'll agree but add most people that are basing their decision to vote for Trump on this probably weren't going to vote for Biden in the first place--if anything it'll be used to turn out cons who might've stayed home.

I guess I'll rephrase, nobody at all is going to even remember this come November, except people directly impacted by the events.

I'm fairly certain Trump will saturate the airwaves as it'll get some people's attention off of his mishandling of the pandemic.

100k+ dead with 20% unemployment, and Trump is spending his time talking about protests where everyone agrees the cop cold-blooded murdered the guy.

They are riots not protests. What happened is absolutely horrible and sickening and in my opinion the officer is guilty of minimum 2nd degree, but the riots are also very wrong and distuburing and the media needs to stop adding fuel to the fire.

I largely agree with SN2093 (in just this area - I would not say that for the most part rioters are the most active contingent of those in Minneapolis right now). The media isn't highlighting the million compassionate things ordinary Americans do and instead focusing on fracas in one MW city just because.
The media isn't blameless. It has to take its share of the blame. Sadly it is too proud and arrogant to do so.

I see what you mean about disproportionate coverage of the rioters over the more numerous peaceful protesters. But I think riots are so disruptive to society - in what other situation are hundreds of buildings getting burned down, looted, and trashed? - that they'll naturally get outsized attention. Sure, CNN can spend most of its time talking about a peaceful march or kneel-in but the rioters will have a much more immediate impact on society, especially the people who live or own businesses in their path.
I don't think we can separate the two as much. This nation's grave problems are in part because of CNN and other media contributing to the nation's problems. The media's behavior is this as much a cause as it is a syptom.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2020, 09:27:48 PM »

So although I don't want to hijack this thread with posting of music videos, etc....

The problem of "White" police officers killing people of color in overwhelmingly minority neighborhoods is not a unique problem to the United States, not to mention some of the "righteous rage" that we see when it comes to what appear to be clear-cut murders of minorities at the hands of local police departments.

England had many such issues as well, going back to at least the Thatcher era...

ttps://www.crimeandjustice.org.uk/publications/cjm/article/policing-riots-bristol-and-brixton-tottenham-toxteth-handsworth-etc

When I was in college back in the '90s, I broached the question of police deaths in heavily Afro-Caribbean neighborhoods within the UK to Senior English Police Officers in both Liverpool and London, and the ensuing rebellions within much of those two Cities.

In the Forum Community Thread a few days ago, I posted a link to a song from an individual who is arguably one of the most recognized and acclaimed Reggae Artists within the UK, which was a "dub poet style reggae song/poem" he wrote shortly after the Brixton Riots of '81.

Simply Youtube...  "Linton Kwesi Johnson Five Nights of Bleeding" and it tells the story of how these things sometimes go.... it is not a song which glorifies violence or riots, but rather tells a broader story, which I think at this point hits the sweet spot where most Americans are at in 2020

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254061.msg7372420#msg7372420

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2020, 10:43:50 PM »

Can we really compare this to Ferguson though? We have video evidence and a cop with multiple allegations of police brutality. There isn't as much vagueness around this cause and it seems that African Americans and White people on both sides all agree this is wrong.

I guess this is the time to point out that I'm Irish and Ferguson is my actual name
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2020, 10:48:25 PM »

WTF... Did I just watch a commentator on MSNBC claiming that "Global Anarchists Movements" might exploit the crisis on the Brian Williams show???

Fire the commentator.... I know MSNBC is trying to move "centrist" with a lot of their guests and non-prime slots, but the guy has his head up his arse trying to use once again the "Anarchist Bogeyman" as an explanation for the scenes we have seen in Minneapolis and many other Cities within the United States.

Here you have a clear case of "Liberal Media Bias" that appears to be more something akin to LBJ at the time of unrest during the Vietnam War on College Campuses, rather than any type of fact based coverage, where unrest is blamed on random white folks versus a ton of pissed off people, vast majority of whom are POC....

Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2020, 10:56:40 PM »

It would... if Hillary was President. Trump is the incumbent and while none of this has to do with him his disgusting and out of touch attitudes were on full display when he tweeted the old racist chant of “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2020, 10:58:01 PM »

It would... if Hillary was President. Trump is the incumbent and while none of this has to do with him his disgusting and out of touch attitudes were on full display when he tweeted the old racist chant of “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”.

Of course it does.  It does not solely have to do with him, but he has participated in fanning the flames of this fire over the last 10+ years, and to some extent, his entire life.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2020, 01:18:48 AM »

The desire to get rid of Trump is pretty strong this year.

His authoritarianism and being "tough on crime" could make it closer than it normally would be, but he'll still be voted out by a healthy margin in the states that matter.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:17 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 02:11:29 AM by lfromnj »

This thread is peak atlas
> sock
> atlas unquestionably getting triggered at the idea of Minnesota voting R
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2020, 02:21:22 AM »

By reporting when blacks get killed by cops more than when whites get killed by cops, tho twice as many whites are killed.  Also by emphasizing the race aspect.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2020, 07:08:01 AM »

By reporting when blacks get killed by cops more than when whites get killed by cops, tho twice as many whites are killed.  Also by emphasizing the race aspect.

There are 200 million more whites than blacks in America.
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

There are now rumors being confirmed that those arrested weren't from the state and were white supremacists. If that's true, then no, the state will not flip over this
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2020, 10:59:08 AM »

Why does everyone think this will help Trump? I know law & order is a big part of his appeal, but he's been in office a full term, and where's the law & order? Did the LA Riots in 1992 help Bush?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2020, 11:12:28 AM »

Why does everyone think this will help Trump? I know law & order is a big part of his appeal, but he's been in office a full term, and where's the law & order? Did the LA Riots in 1992 help Bush?
Trump is the one calling for the national guard to stop the riots. Also fear helps promote conservatism most of the time. The Midwest is trending R and this will likely increase the speed of that when more cities are destroyed.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »

Trump is the one calling for the national guard White Supremacy to stop the riots. Also fear of black helps promote conservatism most of the time. The Midwest is trending R and images of black people looting will likely increase the speed of that when more cities are destroyed.

There I have removed the dog whistles for you.
Joe Boden
Rookie
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2020, 01:17:34 PM »

after the riots
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2020, 01:18:43 PM »

I'm not sure how much more or less competitive it will be after the protests, but it's always been competitive.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2020, 01:19:13 PM »

I always thought it would be competative, but at the end of the day, this won't hurt Biden that much in MN, since the narrative will have moved on by election day
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »

Did we really need another thread?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »

I believe it will be about where it was in 2016. On the other hand at least one of the three rustebelts will be won by Trump because of this.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2020, 01:38:21 PM »

Hi Jessica. What’s up ?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »

It was always "competitive". But Trump's poor leadership during this and the pandemic have probably nudged it more into Biden's corner.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »

It only goes red if Biden does worse than Hillary.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »

Yes, MN is now very much in play and arguably one could say that Trump might even have a better chance of winning it than Michigan and Pennsylvania.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies