This Once Great Movement Of Ours
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Once Great Movement Of Ours
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 152
Author Topic: This Once Great Movement Of Ours  (Read 159167 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3600 on: March 11, 2024, 06:54:33 AM »

I would be very surprised if Rayner didn't immediately consolidate enough institutional support to drive out most other major contenders.

Malenkov thought the same.

There is a possibility that the Politburo and the Shadow Cabinet may not be entirely equivalent bodies.

That would be a huge break from tradition.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3601 on: March 11, 2024, 07:27:03 AM »

In any case, if you do want to make dumb analogies, Rayner is Zhukov rather than Malenkov.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3602 on: March 11, 2024, 07:40:26 AM »

In any case, if you do want to make dumb analogies, Rayner is Zhukov rather than Malenkov.

Chill.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3603 on: March 11, 2024, 09:52:20 AM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 10:28:51 AM by CumbrianLefty »

I'm not just unsure that Rayner has it in the bag (and to be clear, this has little or nothing to do with the current almost entirely confected "council house controversy") but I'm not actually convinced that she really genuinely wants it. And btw I say this as a long term admirer.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3604 on: March 11, 2024, 12:16:49 PM »

Yes, that is a question. But to the extent that institutional support matters (and the 2015 leadership race does suggest that answer may be "Not very much") she's clearly best positioned, especially with regard to the affiliates.
Wiswylfen
eadmund

Political Matrix
E: -2.32, S: 4.17

« Reply #3605 on: March 11, 2024, 01:36:13 PM »

As a long-term hater, she'd be a total disaster.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #3606 on: March 12, 2024, 03:09:41 AM »

I’d love it to be Rayner, but I just think between now and the next leadership election the party will have changed too much for her. Would love to be proven wrong though.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3607 on: March 12, 2024, 05:50:19 AM »

My feeling is that if the next leadership election were tomorrow, she'd walk it. If the next leadership election is in 203x, then the winner will be whoever has been most effective as a departmental minister.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3608 on: March 12, 2024, 06:28:34 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2024, 06:31:59 AM by CumbrianLefty »

If there is a vacancy in the moderately near future, then Phillipson could well be the front runner - if only because she has less of a talent for making enemies than Streeting.

(though I definitely think the chances of Reeves are overhyped by some, whenever it happens)

Beyond that - say if Starmer becomes PM and goes on until he is 70-ish - then who knows. It might well be someone who looks pretty unlikely at the moment.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3609 on: March 12, 2024, 03:15:10 PM »

Heck, it could very well be someone who isn't an MP right now
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3610 on: March 16, 2024, 05:15:00 AM »

Incredible THIGMOO content going on in Cardiff right now. If you want to get some idea of Welsh Labour as an institution you should catch up on it. Anyway, Comrade Gething is Leader now.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3611 on: March 16, 2024, 05:26:44 AM »

Incredible THIGMOO content going on in Cardiff right now. If you want to get some idea of Welsh Labour as an institution you should catch up on it. Anyway, Comrade Gething is Leader now.

The funny thing about reading Pimlotts book on Wilson is how often politicians use the phrase ‘our movement’ but I now can’t hear it without laughing.

My highlight at any conference or event is when the Red Flag gets sung and the awkward back and forth as senior politicians have to remember what the latest line is on how you react to it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3612 on: March 16, 2024, 06:42:40 AM »

So, is the voting system used by Welsh Labour an "electoral college" or not?
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #3613 on: March 16, 2024, 07:15:18 AM »

My highlight at any conference or event is when the Red Flag gets sung and the awkward back and forth as senior politicians have to remember what the latest line is on how you react to it.

How on earth did Labour end with a German Christmas song as the melody for their party hymn? I can't stop laughing, at the moment.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3614 on: March 16, 2024, 09:17:58 AM »

How on earth did Labour end with a German Christmas song as the melody for their party hymn? I can't stop laughing, at the moment.

O Tannenbaum's melody is also used for the state songs of Iowa (The Song of Iowa), Michigan (Michigan, My Michigan), and the former state songs of Florida (Florida, My Florida) and Maryland (Maryland, My Maryland)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3615 on: March 16, 2024, 09:31:13 AM »

No.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3616 on: March 16, 2024, 09:54:40 AM »

I’ve been unable to tell what really is the difference between Gething and Miles the whole time and at this point I’m afraid to ask.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3617 on: March 16, 2024, 11:13:24 AM »

The cursed 52-48 strikes again, I notice.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3618 on: March 16, 2024, 01:26:26 PM »

I’ve been unable to tell what really is the difference between Gething and Miles the whole time and at this point I’m afraid to ask.

It genuinely does boil down to 'vibes' in this case lol. Well, and that Gething won't be making Lee Waters a minister.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3619 on: March 16, 2024, 01:34:48 PM »

It genuinely does boil down to 'vibes' in this case lol. Well, and that Gething won't be making Lee Waters a minister.

Gething will also be more 'answerable' than Miles on certain broad issues if they happen to arise.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3620 on: March 16, 2024, 03:15:41 PM »

No.

Was the weird 2018 electoral college (where Carolyn Harris won) one of those things in THIGMOO where the race was held so it happened before the rules could be changed?

I don't understand how the Deputy Leader of the Welsh Labour Party is an MP; but then Welsh Labour is a force into itself for confusion.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3621 on: March 17, 2024, 07:11:49 AM »

No.

Which confusion doesn't say much about quite a lot of the reporting.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #3622 on: March 19, 2024, 05:50:06 AM »

It was decided that the original melody for the song was too fast for the level of solemnity they wanted from it.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3623 on: March 19, 2024, 06:38:13 AM »

Always preferred the Internationale anyway, despite its connotation with certain unsavoury regimes Smiley
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3624 on: March 19, 2024, 10:46:46 AM »

It was decided that the original melody for the song was too fast for the level of solemnity they wanted from it.

Billy Bragg recorded it with the original melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bLeoYyksqY
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 [145] 146 147 148 149 150 ... 152  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies