COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:02:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 116406 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1950 on: April 17, 2020, 02:02:03 PM »

Trump’s dangerous “LIBERATE” tweets represent the views of a small minority

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/17/21225134/trump-liberate-tweets-minnesota-virginia-michigan-coronavirus-fox-news
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1951 on: April 17, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »

OK, thread derailing won't be tolerated.

Also, not responding to trolls would be most helpful.

Could you and your fellow moderators please do a better job deleting comments that are clearly trolling, and punishing those responsible? I'm disgusted by the commentary downplaying or making a joke out of the fact that tens of thousands of people have died. If I had lost to someone from COVID, I'd be absolutely enraged to see such foolishness being posted on this forum with impunity. I've reported multiple posts and yet nothing seems to change.

Look, the mods aren't supposed to constantly monitor a thread. If you have issues with a post then report it, and it will be looked into.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1952 on: April 17, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1953 on: April 17, 2020, 02:09:00 PM »

THanks Andrew Cuomo !!!

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1954 on: April 17, 2020, 02:09:29 PM »

Might be seeing some of the effects of in person voting from Wisconsin a week and a half ago.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1955 on: April 17, 2020, 02:09:45 PM »

CEO of Trader Joe’s Uses Coronavirus to Union-Bust
The letter in question:
https://m.facebook.com/LeftVoice.org/photos/a.1674933402742734/2633524440216954/?type=3&theater
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1956 on: April 17, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2020, 02:27:30 PM by PSOL »

Ilhan Omar unveils bill to cancel rent and mortgage payments amid pandemic
The Minnesota congresswoman Ilhan Omar has unveiled a bill that would cancel rent and mortgage payments for millions of Americans struggling amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the legislation announced on Friday, landlords and mortgage holders would be able to have losses covered by the federal government. The program would extend for a month beyond the end of the national emergency, which was declared on 13 March, and would be made retroactive to cover April payment.

The proposal comes amid an unprecedented housing crisis: 31% of Americans in rental accommodation could not pay rent at the beginning of this month. Millions have lost their jobs since.
Even thinking about the poor landlords too? Love you girl 

'Huge environmental waste' as US airlines fly near-empty planes
The coronavirus outbreak has provoked a string of unsettling sights, such as the sudden widespread use of masks, shuttered businesses and deserted streets. Another unusual phenomenon is also playing out in the skies – near-empty airplanes flying through the air.

Widespread travel restrictions around the world have slashed demand for air travel, with more than eight in 10 flights canceled. But there is a disparity in the US – while the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has reported a 96% slump in passenger volume, to a level not seen since 1954, this hasn’t been matched by the number of flights being scrapped.

Slightly more than half the flights within the US have been canceled, leading to a slew of near-empty flights. Less than one in 10 seats on domestic flights were filled by passengers last week, according to an estimate by Dan Rutherford, aviation director at the International Council on Clean Transportation.
I see that resources are being allocated efficiently during this crisis by the market ran by these private businesses.

Edit: and now look at who is being evicted in California;the sick, elderly, and pregnant
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1957 on: April 17, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »

The Minnesota congresswoman Ilhan Omar has unveiled a bill that would cancel rent and mortgage payments for millions of Americans struggling amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the legislation announced on Friday, landlords and mortgage holders would be able to have losses covered by the federal government. The program would extend for a month beyond the end of the national emergency, which was declared on 13 March, and would be made retroactive to cover April payment.

The proposal comes amid an unprecedented housing crisis: 31% of Americans in rental accommodation could not pay rent at the beginning of this month. Millions have lost their jobs since.
Even thinking about the poor landlords too? Love you girl 💕
She's a queen and I stan her... when she doesn't open her mouth about Israel.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1958 on: April 17, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »

i hate when tweets disappear
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1959 on: April 17, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »

You shouldn’t be like that to her when she tells the truth about Israel, Saudi Arabia, or anything for that matter.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1960 on: April 17, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »

You shouldn’t be like that to her when she tells the truth about Israel, Saudi Arabia, or anything for that matter.
She's quite right about Israel 80% of the time, but 20% of the time she takes it too far, and when she tells the truth about Israel she always says it in the wrong way. She might be a bigot - I don't want to get into that - but even if she isn't, she always talks in a way that makes it sound like she might be one. It makes non-bigots agreeing with her look like bigots by association.

Seriously though. Government paying rent / mortgage right now is a great idea during this crisis.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1961 on: April 17, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »

She's quite right about Israel 80% of the time, but 20% of the time she takes it too far, and when she tells the truth about Israel she always says it in the wrong way. She might be a bigot - I don't want to get into that - but even if she isn't, she always talks in a way that makes it sound like she might be one. It makes non-bigots agreeing with her look like bigots by association.

Seriously though. Government paying rent / mortgage right now is a great idea during this crisis.

You should probably suspend your discussion of this, before this thread is derailed again.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1962 on: April 17, 2020, 02:54:59 PM »

Agreed. Say Calthrina, what is your take on the other stories? Namely the union busting in Trader Joe’s, empty airplane flights, and evictions of namely Californian renters during this crisis?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1963 on: April 17, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »

Agreed. Say Calthrina, what is your take on the other stories? Namely the union busting in Trader Joe’s, empty airplane flights, and evictions of namely Californian renters during this crisis?

I've indicated elsewhere my views on this, namely the economic devastation that this crisis has wrought.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1964 on: April 17, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

How do blue avatars propose to deal with millions of landlords going broke from no rent payments coming in, and millions of morgages defaulting? Where will we house the homeless and/or how will landlords and banks make up their losses?

Doing nothing is not a real solution, so what is it that we should do instead of the government paying rents amd mortgages? This isn't forever, just during the pandemic.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1965 on: April 17, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »

Trump's tweets today were abhorrent and disgusting and he's going to incite violence once again.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1966 on: April 17, 2020, 03:12:31 PM »

F**king insanity.
Days like these really make me want to bring back choppy boi unironically.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1967 on: April 17, 2020, 03:13:11 PM »

I've indicated elsewhere my views on this, namely the economic devastation that this crisis has wrought.
Could you direct me to them or paraphrase them once more?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1968 on: April 17, 2020, 03:18:40 PM »

F**king insanity.
Days like these really make me want to bring back choppy boi unironically.

The American people are responding though, Trumpfoon's approvals have been freefalling.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1969 on: April 17, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »

Florida beaches set to re-open in a few hours, will only be open for 5 morning hours and 4 evening hours every day.

The Ron DeSantis Clown Show continues.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1970 on: April 17, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »

Florida beaches set to re-open in a few hours, will only be open for 5 morning hours and 4 evening hours every day.

Florida has a decent testing situation so I'm not in arms about this.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1971 on: April 17, 2020, 03:34:23 PM »

BRUH
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1972 on: April 17, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2020, 04:14:47 PM by #Klobmentum »

Florida is the third biggest state but ranks 21st in testing last I checked. I wouldn't call that decent.

Edit:  Forumlurker seems to have a better grasp of the situation than I do.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1973 on: April 17, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »

Could you direct me to them or paraphrase them once more?

I've made reference here: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=369360.msg7297920#msg7297920. My earlier post was more so seeking a shutdown of the conversation about Israel and Middle Eastern policy-a subject unrelated to this thread, then it was about Omar's proposals relating specifically to this crisis.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1974 on: April 17, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »

As usual, the stereotypes are more important than the actual facts. Florida actually has administered more tests in total than any State other than New York. That being said, they are 21st in per-capita tests as a function of their high population. Additionally, they have administered more tests per capita than South Korea. Florida had a bungled up response in many ways, and DeSantis got really lucky with a lot of things, but their testing game isn’t as bad as many States.
I still think opening the beaches was a mistake, but you can’t deny the basic facts.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 84 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies