COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:36:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 88
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 4: Grandma Got Run Over by the Dow Jones  (Read 119630 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1925 on: April 17, 2020, 07:35:09 AM »

The people at these 'protests' are going to be responsible for more cases and more deaths. You don't seem to see the protests happening anywhere else except for the U.S., because half the country is ignorant apparently

What borders on stupidity?

Mexico and Canada.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1926 on: April 17, 2020, 07:52:53 AM »

The situation here in Washington State is looking a bit more optimistic. Active cases are down about 100 from yesterday, and the rate of new cases has definitely slowed down over the past few days.

That's because pandemics die down. They always do.

Panic never accomplishes anything good. Fear and panic almost certainly contributed to the death toll of this virus. Some people are so invested in fear that they don't have the energy to find constructive solutions.

"The virus decides" is not a good national slogan. It truly is hard to believe that the first country to send astronauts to the moon couldn't make sure there were enough tests for this virus, and couldn't do contact tracing.

That's because America is a nation in decline. The coronavirus epidemic is merely another sign of our gradual deterioration, and indeed, it has accelerated it.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1927 on: April 17, 2020, 07:58:13 AM »

That's because America is a nation in decline. The coronavirus epidemic is merely another sign of our gradual deterioration, and indeed, it has accelerated it.

I think it broke America forever.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1928 on: April 17, 2020, 08:01:57 AM »

I think it broke America forever.

The virus didn't break America, it simply helped to "heighten the contradictions" that had already existed in our society and bring them forward.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1929 on: April 17, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »

Some good points to keep in mind:

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1930 on: April 17, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »

Alot of people are saying countries are having a slower than expected recovery but you have to realize we are in the middle of freaking April lmao.

Indeed. The Trump plan is not very detailed but perhaps that is for the best. Local governors and mayors will understand the situation better and open up when it is time to open up for their own community. There will be places that get into stage 1 on May 1st but the most heavily affected areas should not. And even if most of the country can get to stage 2 by June or July, I don't see anyone getting to stage 3 this year unless we can ramp up testing even more (seems to have hit a bit of a roadblock) or if we have an effective therapy or a vaccine. Vaccine won't happen till next year but we may have an effective therapy by this summer.

I really hope that if good data continues to come out about Remdesivir, the government will incentivize them to start mass producing it even if it isn't FDA approved at that point. That being said this drug will only be for those with moderate to severe disease who are hospitalized, since it is given as an infusion. Hopefully studies using hydroxychloroquine show efficacy as well since that drug could possibly be used in those with mild to moderate disease and will hopefully decrease the rate of hospitalizations.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1931 on: April 17, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »

The US had 5k deaths yesterday alone ?

That are Italy-, or Spain- or UK levels ... Shocked
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1932 on: April 17, 2020, 08:41:58 AM »

Some of that was due to a change in reporting, counting some older cases where COVID-19 was the probable but not confirmed cause.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1933 on: April 17, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »

~3,700 were the "suspected COVID" deaths NYC noted a few days ago. The daily deaths from cases that tested positive were in line with previous days.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1934 on: April 17, 2020, 10:21:05 AM »

Come on, folks. Please stop cluttering up this thread with your Marxist/Fascist labeling.  Some of us are reading this to try to get real information.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #1935 on: April 17, 2020, 10:22:31 AM »

Come on, folks. Please stop cluttering up this thread with your Marxist/Fascist labeling.  Some of us are reading this to try to get real information.

Only a fascist would say somethin' like that!
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1936 on: April 17, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »

According to the Tracking Project’s figures, nearly one in five people who get tested for the coronavirus in the United States is found to have it. In other words, the country has what is called a “test-positivity rate” of nearly 20 percent.

[...]

In that light, America’s 20 percent positivity rate is disquieting. The U.S. did almost 25 times as many tests on April 15 as on March 15, yet both the daily positive rate and the overall positive rate went up in that month

[...]

South Korea is not alone in bringing its positivity rate down: America’s figure dwarfs that of almost every other developed country. Canada, Germany and Denmark have positivity rates from 6 to 8 percent. Australia and New Zealand have 2 percent positivity rates. Even Italy—which faced one of the world’s most ravaging outbreaks—has a 15 percent rate. It has found nearly 160,000 cases and conducted more than a million tests. Virtually the only wealthy country with a larger positivity rate than the U.S. is the United Kingdom, where more than 30 percent of people tested for the virus have been positive.

Comparing American states to regions in other countries results in the same general pattern. In Lombardy, the hardest hit part of Italy, the positive rate today stands at about 28 percent. That’s comparable to the rate in Connecticut. But New York, so far the hardest hit state in the U.S., has an even higher rate of 41 percent. And in New Jersey, an astounding one in two people tested for the virus are found to have it.

[...]

Five other states have a positive rate above 20 percent: Michigan, Georgia, Massachusetts, Illinois, and Colorado. They are spread across the country, and they all have obviously serious outbreaks. Each of the eight states with positive rates over 20 percent has, individually, reported more COVID-19 deaths than South Korea.

[...]

But there is another way to interpret the decline in new cases: The growth in the number of new tests completed per day has also plateaued. Since April 1, the country has tested roughly 145,000 people every day with no steady upward trajectory. The growth in the number of new cases per day, and the growth in the number of new tests per day, are very tightly correlated.

Tldr: It's hypothesized that, based on America's 20% positivity results on the Covid-19 tests, which are rationed and mostly reserved for only the most ill, the reason for our plateau in new cases is because of a plateau in new testing; the virus's spread is outpacing our testing so far. We aren't rounding the curve, we are simply producing insufficient data to accurately track the pandemic's actual spread.

You can not make any hypothesis based on the US aggregated test rate. Only 8 of the 51 states plus the District of Columbia have rates that high. The positivity rate ranges from 48.9% in New Jersey to 2.5% in Hawaii.

High test rates are in states with high infection rates such as New York and New Jersey where any person being hospitalized is going to be tested so that those who are negative when they go into the hospital are that way when they leave the hospital; and in small generally isolated states where more widespread testing has been done.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1937 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »

OK, thread derailing won't be tolerated.

Also, not responding to trolls would be most helpful.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #1938 on: April 17, 2020, 11:43:20 AM »

Notes from New Mexico:

Coronavirus is hitting the Native American communities badly. Sad
Top per capita counties:
McKinley - 1 in 273
Sandoval - 1 in 496
San Juan - 1 in 546
Socorro - 1 in 837
Cibola - 1 in 891

All of these counties have significant Native populations.

Given all the reporting, testing, etc caveats it’s probably worse than this.
forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #1939 on: April 17, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »

Could you and your fellow moderators please do a better job deleting comments that are clearly trolling, and punishing those responsible? I'm disgusted by the commentary downplaying or making a joke out of the fact that tens of thousands of people have died. If I had lost to someone from COVID, I'd be absolutely enraged to see such foolishness being posted on this forum with impunity. I've reported multiple posts and yet nothing seems to change.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1940 on: April 17, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »

A rather unsurprising development:

CNN: A sudden rise in coronavirus cases is hitting rural states without stay-at-home orders

Just as cases are starting to plateau in some big cities and along the coasts, the coronavirus is catching fire in rural states across the American heartland, where there has been a small but significant spike this week in cases.
The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike.

The remaining states, North Dakota, Utah and Wyoming each saw an increase in cases, but more in line with other places that have stay-at-home orders. And all of those numbers may very well undercount the total cases, given a persistent lack of testing across the US.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1941 on: April 17, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »

This has me really worried.

These people are going to put my family and other at risk people in more danger simply because they are tired of being asked to stay home. One of the "hosts" of this event is an anti-vaccine advocate. I just... This is all getting really depressing.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #1942 on: April 17, 2020, 12:26:07 PM »

CNN: A sudden rise in coronavirus cases is hitting rural states without stay-at-home orders

Just as cases are starting to plateau in some big cities and along the coasts, the coronavirus is catching fire in rural states across the American heartland, where there has been a small but significant spike this week in cases.
The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike.

The remaining states, North Dakota, Utah and Wyoming each saw an increase in cases, but more in line with other places that have stay-at-home orders. And all of those numbers may very well undercount the total cases, given a persistent lack of testing across the US.

April 15
Grassr00ts State Progress map
Based on state trend in new cases per day

-Cases strongly decreasing (50% green) 6 states
-Cases starting to decrease (30% green) 13 states
-Cases peaking out (30% yellow) 25 states
-Cases increasing but slowing (30% red) 4 states
-Cases increasing badly (50% red) 2 states

forgotten manatee
bluecat
United States

« Reply #1943 on: April 17, 2020, 12:27:24 PM »

This has me really worried.

These people are going to put my family and other at risk people in more danger simply because they are tired of being asked to stay home. One of the "hosts" of this event is an anti-vaccine advocate. I just... This is all getting really depressing.

Its sad. I understand not being able to tolerate staying at home because you financially cannot support doing it. For people really in a bind like that, I'm deeply sympathetic and want the government to step up and help them. But for people to just be fed up with being bored? Its a sad day in America when sitting on the couch becomes an unbearable sacrifice.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1944 on: April 17, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »

Could you and your fellow moderators please do a better job deleting comments that are clearly trolling, and punishing those responsible? I'm disgusted by the commentary downplaying or making a joke out of the fact that tens of thousands of people have died. If I had lost to someone from COVID, I'd be absolutely enraged to see such foolishness being posted on this forum with impunity. I've reported multiple posts and yet nothing seems to change.

"Downplaying" aka disagreeing with an opinion is not a TOS violation.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1945 on: April 17, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »

Yeah if people were truly feeling economic insecurity then they'd be demanding or demonstrating for more direct government assistance.

If you're feeling economically insecure but you're choosing "liberating Wisconsin" or whatever over more cash assistance then you're using economic need arguments as a false pretense.

IDK man I've definitely had posts deleted on this site for "downplaying" your intelligence.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1946 on: April 17, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »

Kristi Noem has to be one of the most inept governors in the country.

Good thing she only has to govern about 900k people.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1947 on: April 17, 2020, 12:44:24 PM »

Yeah if people were truly feeling economic insecurity then they'd be demanding or demonstrating for more direct government assistance.

If you're feeling economically insecure but you're choosing "liberating Wisconsin" or whatever over more cash assistance then you're using economic need arguments as a false pretense.

IDK man I've definitely had posts deleted on this site for "downplaying" your intelligence.

Cool story bro.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1948 on: April 17, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »

Kristi Noem has to be one of the most inept governors in the country.

Good thing she only has to govern about 900k people.

'I took an oath when I was in congress, obviously to uphold the constitution of the United States. I believe in our freedoms and liberties,' Noem said in an interview with FOX News.

'What I've seen across the country is so many people give up their liberties for just a little bit of security. And I don't have to do that.

How can she be this irrational?
I mean it's South Dakota, surely you're not missing out on all that much by staying inside...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1949 on: April 17, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »

Cool story bro.

OK, let's draw a line here and move on, shall we?
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies