2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:02:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: 2020 Census and Redistricting Thread: Florida  (Read 58331 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: April 22, 2022, 06:12:55 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #776 on: April 23, 2022, 12:23:37 AM »

So obviously they'll side with DeSantis. Where can Dems appeal after?
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #777 on: April 23, 2022, 10:59:50 AM »

FLSC lol. Well, was worth a shot
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #778 on: April 23, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2022, 01:19:21 PM by lfromnj »

FLSC lol. Well, was worth a shot

I mean we still don't know. Note that DeSantis more or less admitted he broke the FL constitution in order to still be federally constitutional. Democrats really need to give up on the FL 5th made for Al Lawson and focus on why the GOP showed a clear alternative in the house map but then let DeSantis draw Jacksonville. The lawsuit currently is quite weak. Absolutely pointless to fight DeSantis on the grounds of his map isn't compact. .
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #779 on: April 23, 2022, 11:46:07 PM »

Dems need to put a commission on the ballot for 2030
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #780 on: April 24, 2022, 05:25:26 AM »

Dems need to put a commission on the ballot for 2030

You can def do a forced redraw in the middle of the decade .
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #781 on: April 27, 2022, 10:12:22 AM »

https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-04-26-PI-Memorandum-Of-Law.pdf

Well that's the end of that, the DeSantis map outside of North FL is effectively official for 2022.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #782 on: April 30, 2022, 09:40:02 AM »

This map will be struck down, I'm positive. Maybe not this year but sometime in the future possibly
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #783 on: April 30, 2022, 10:27:17 AM »

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #784 on: April 30, 2022, 10:38:07 AM »

Well that's unfortunate but unless these people are total complete hacks with no conscience, there is no way this map will be upheld. Especially after what happened in NY. DeSantis is basically admitting he violated FL redistricting amendment
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #785 on: April 30, 2022, 10:39:40 AM »

Well that's unfortunate but unless these people are total complete hacks with no conscience, there is no way this map will be upheld. Especially after what happened in NY. DeSantis is basically admitting he violated FL redistricting amendment

His specific argument with fl 5th does admit that  but Democrats really need to shift gears and dump Al Lawson to win that argument .

https://www.floridabulldog.org/2022/04/politics-and-floridas-supreme-court-the-remarkable-rise-of-the-next-chief-justice%EF%BF%BC/

For example, the court has degraded the concept of diversity by suggesting it’s an illegal quota system. Labarga wrote in a Dec. 16 dissent, “The majority’s decisions of late have ushered in a series of drastic changes in civil, criminal and rulemaking contexts

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #786 on: April 30, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »

His specific argument with fl 5th does admit that  but Democrats really need to shift gears and dump Al Lawson to win that argument .

https://www.floridabulldog.org/2022/04/politics-and-floridas-supreme-court-the-remarkable-rise-of-the-next-chief-justice%EF%BF%BC/

For example, the court has degraded the concept of diversity by suggesting it’s an illegal quota system. Labarga wrote in a Dec. 16 dissent, “The majority’s decisions of late have ushered in a series of drastic changes in civil, criminal and rulemaking contexts

I know this current lawsuit mentions only FL-5 but could you see them going further later if say FL-13 is sued?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #787 on: April 30, 2022, 10:49:05 AM »

I know this current lawsuit mentions only FL-5 but could you see them going further later if say FL-13 is sued?

The state lawsuit mentions all fl 13th fl 10th fl 5th and South Florida. I see chances for a fl 13th strike down as well but no further .
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #788 on: April 30, 2022, 12:03:37 PM »

The state lawsuit mentions all fl 13th fl 10th fl 5th and South Florida. I see chances for a fl 13th strike down as well but no further .
No FL-7? FL Dem's gonna FL Dem
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #789 on: April 30, 2022, 12:07:51 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2022, 12:11:28 PM by lfromnj »

No FL-7? FL Dem's gonna FL Dem

There is a FL 7th argument but do you really think a Seminole Volusia district is such a partisan gerrymander? I noted there might be a small argument regarding the portions of Volusia taken but that was not mentioned. The best hope of getting the old FL 7th is through the racial argument but I remain skeptical on that claim.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #790 on: April 30, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »

https://cbs12.com/amp/news/local/hearing-set-redistricting-fight-leon-county-florida-ron-desantis

By the way the hearing is set on May 11th for the Preliminary injunction.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #791 on: April 30, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »

By the way DeSantis hired the same guy who drew the TX gerrymander.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #792 on: May 01, 2022, 12:17:12 AM »

At least the FL map is a lot cleaner lol.

Ngl that’s kinda suprising as the 2 maps are drawn in very different styles, though FL’s concessions may have been to lower the legal risk.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #793 on: May 01, 2022, 09:39:02 PM »

At least the FL map is a lot cleaner lol.

Ngl that’s kinda suprising as the 2 maps are drawn in very different styles, though FL’s concessions may have been to lower the legal risk.

A good service-provider should know how to meet the demands of his customer. That's no different here.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #794 on: May 02, 2022, 01:45:55 PM »

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/520923-plaintiffs-argue-ron-desantis-congressional-map-infected-by-racial-discrimination/

By the plaintiffs have decided to sue federally for violating the 14th amendment.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #795 on: May 02, 2022, 01:47:45 PM »

I'm still confident this will be struck down. Judges on both sides are not as hackish as we thought
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #796 on: May 02, 2022, 02:39:19 PM »

I'm still confident this will be struck down. Judges on both sides are not as hackish as we thought

You’re a fairly reasonable poster but this post puts SirWoodbury, KanyeGreenAvatar and my Georgia takes to shame.

There is no planet on which this map does not end up the Florida congressional map.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #797 on: May 02, 2022, 02:58:17 PM »

You’re a fairly reasonable poster but this post puts SirWoodbury, KanyeGreenAvatar and my Georgia takes to shame.

There is no planet on which this map does not end up the Florida congressional map.
So you think these judges have no principles and are willing to legislate from the bench? DeSantis ADMITTEDLY violated the redistricting amendment. I don't know how many times I have to say that
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #798 on: May 03, 2022, 04:44:22 AM »

So you think these judges have no principles and are willing to legislate from the bench? DeSantis ADMITTEDLY violated the redistricting amendment. I don't know how many times I have to say that

75% of those with R’s next to their names in the era of Trump have no resemblance of principle.

DeSantis could put out a TV ad bragging about how he broke the rules - it will not matter. This map will be the 2022 Florida map. Put it in the bank, it’s gaining intrest.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #799 on: May 09, 2022, 01:17:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies