COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 07:03:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149301 times)
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: March 28, 2020, 08:02:28 PM »

Another good decision by Trump.  He’s been making all the right moves since early March.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #801 on: March 28, 2020, 08:04:12 PM »

Not sure why they'd wait 10 days

Is the point to stop infected people from spreading?

There is no point to anything the government (or any state) is doing right now.  They’re flailing  and have no vision beyond the next week.  There is absolutely no plan for an endgame.

I don't accept that, but fine my question then is what is the point in their minds.

They dont have one

Come on now. 🙄

It was a serious question. I think the answer is yes.

Sorry, I misread your post.

I think in their minds its just a “big move” that will placate the public.  If everyone is staying home anyway, and all non essential business is closed, what good will masks do.  They just spent the last 3 months telling us that masks do nothing.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #802 on: March 28, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »

Is the US even keeping track of recoveries at all?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #803 on: March 28, 2020, 08:11:58 PM »

Another good decision by Trump.  He’s been making all the right moves since early March.
A politically motivated genocide of people in blue states is the “right move”?
Unless you are referring to political spectrum, I am seriously concerned about you.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #804 on: March 28, 2020, 08:12:57 PM »

Put down the orange kool-aid dude. Don't take another sip!
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #805 on: March 28, 2020, 08:18:47 PM »

Is the US even keeping track of recoveries at all?

Yes.

But you are essentially looking at 7-14 days before seeing those Recovery numbers react to the new diagnosed active cases.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #806 on: March 28, 2020, 08:19:18 PM »

If he was making the right moves, he'd

(1) Order a national lockdown, or do everything in his legal power to get there.

(2) Take over the procurement of supplies from states and localities using the Defense Production Act.

(3) Get uniform national testing and reporting procedures.

(4) Implement Universal Basic Income.

(5) Develop a national strategy that includes many things too numerous to include here, but that covers compassionate release from prisons of non-violent offenders, move to vote-by-mail for all primaries and the GE, legal changes that abolish the difference between having or not having health insurance as far as Covid-19 goes, allowing PPE for all essential workers including those not in the healthcare sector, allowing all non-essential workers to go on paid furlough.

(6) Work with the International Community to develop a global response to this crisis, as it is clear that no country is an island; the presence of the virus anywhere means potential spread everywhere. Show that the United States is leading the free world and that the free world is leading the community of nations.
Angel of Death
« Reply #807 on: March 28, 2020, 08:19:40 PM »

Is it inevitable now that the U.S. will have the most deaths?
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #808 on: March 28, 2020, 08:19:43 PM »

Unless you are referring to political spectrum, I am seriously concerned about you.
He literally sent a naval ship the USNS Comfort and Mercy to help New York and California. He isn't sending one to Florida. This isn't about red states and blue states, we are all in this together.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #809 on: March 28, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »

He literally sent a naval ship the USNS Comfort and Mercy to help New York and California. He isn't sending one to Florida. This isn't about red states and blue states, we are all in this together.
“Don’t talk to that woman in Michigan!”
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #810 on: March 28, 2020, 08:23:20 PM »

Mathematically, it is certainly a possibility.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #811 on: March 28, 2020, 08:23:42 PM »

No, a very populous country like India could have a huge outbreak which would kill more people. Also some countries are probably unable to test people and have more deaths than shown.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #812 on: March 28, 2020, 08:25:14 PM »

This is absolutely surreal.

If DeSantis is devolving responsibility for social distancing rules down to the county level, then Florida is in deep trouble. Whatever this is, it ain't leadership, it's chaos.

Florida has a storied history of devolving things down to the country level that it really oughn't to Wink
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #813 on: March 28, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2020, 08:39:07 PM by Arizona Iced Tea »

That was just a little scuffle, looks like aid is getting there now.

This is my 1000th message on talkelections Atlas
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #814 on: March 28, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »

Because if there is one thing we need right now it is "little scuffles".

It reminds me of the time that J Edgar Hoover pulled his agent right as they were getting ready to liberate a hijacked plane.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #815 on: March 28, 2020, 08:35:57 PM »

How many deaths do you think we are going to actually see? 500,000? A million? Two million? Or more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming a 20% infection rate and 1% deaths among the infected (neither of those assumptions being particularly pessimistic) gets to around 600,000 deaths in America. I'm not necessarily predicting it will go that high, but it's definitely plausible, especially when lots of areas still aren't taking this seriously.

Which is why I'm ending it tonight.
Are you being serious?

Yeah, I really hope he's joking (it's not funny though). Especially with what I know about his past.

Millions are going to die, that's apparent. My parents are both in the high risk population and my brother is a cleaner at a medical research facility.

No, I am not joking.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #816 on: March 28, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2020, 08:44:25 PM by Meclazine »

How many deaths do you think we are going to actually see? 500,000? A million? Two million? Or more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming a 20% infection rate and 1% deaths among the infected (neither of those assumptions being particularly pessimistic) gets to around 600,000 deaths in America. I'm not necessarily predicting it will go that high, but it's definitely plausible, especially when lots of areas still aren't taking this seriously.

Which is why I'm ending it tonight.
Are you being serious?

Yeah, I really hope he's joking (it's not funny though). Especially with what I know about his past.

Millions are going to die, that's apparent. My parents are both in the high risk population and my brother is a cleaner at a medical research facility.

No, I am not joking.

Brah, message me your phone number. We are men of science, we fear no worldly terror.

The Australian Corona-virus rate is 1.7% of tested cases as coming back as positive.

And our 'Active Case' curve is like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. We are actually dropping in case growth already.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #817 on: March 28, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »

Because if there is one thing we need right now it is "little scuffles".

It reminds me of the time that J Edgar Hoover pulled his agent right as they were getting ready to liberate a hijacked plane.
This is a very stressful time for everyone in the nation. And our leaders can get ticked off easily when working nonstop without sleep and with heavy risks. It happens, and it is best to understand the virus as the common enemy and work together to stop it.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #818 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:18 PM »

That was just a little scuffle, looks like aid is getting there now.

This is my 1000th message on talkelections Atlas

Trump was literally just trashing her earlier today on Fox.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #819 on: March 28, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »

Not sure what DeSantis is doing.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #820 on: March 28, 2020, 09:04:56 PM »

DeSantis' poor response to this pandemic has been astounding, and has lowered my opinion of him-aside from his obstructionism of Florida's Amendment 4, as has been noted here. This is one of the weaknesses of our federal system-that the state-level responses to crises really do depend on the competency of the governors. Some governors (i.e. DeWine, Cuomo, Newsom, Baker, Hogan, Pritzker, Inslee, Beshear) have done a good or even an excellent job at responding to this pandemic, while others (i.e. Lee, Abbott, Ivey, Reeves, DeSantis) have done terribly.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #821 on: March 28, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »

Nothing significant, and that's the problem.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #822 on: March 28, 2020, 09:16:58 PM »

DeSantis' poor response to this pandemic has been astounding, and has lowered my opinion of him-aside from his obstructionism of Florida's Amendment 4, as has been noted here. This is one of the weaknesses of our federal system-that the state-level responses to crises really do depend on the competency of the governors. Some governors (i.e. DeWine, Cuomo, Newsom, Baker, Hogan, Pritzker, Inslee, Beshear) have done a good or even an excellent job at responding to this pandemic, while others (i.e. Lee, Abbott, Ivey, Reeves, DeSantis) have done terribly.

More extreme restrictions does not equal doing better.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #823 on: March 28, 2020, 09:17:21 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2020, 09:24:48 PM by Blue3 »

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200328/ri-national-guard-police-seek-out-new-yorkers-in-westerly

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/ri-state-police-national-guard-set-up-checkpoint-to-stop-log-travelers-from-ny/

https://www.wpri.com/health/coronavirus/national-guard-police-knocking-on-doors-in-westerly-to-notify-new-yorkers-of-quarantine/

https://turnto10.com/news/local/authorities-patrol-ri-coastal-communities-in-search-of-ny-license-plates

Welcome to Rhode Island
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #824 on: March 28, 2020, 09:24:16 PM »

DeSantis thinks the virus will stay in Orlando, Miami, and Tampa and not spread elsewhere....yet cases are now surging in the Villages
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies