COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:45:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 148561 times)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: March 28, 2020, 09:24:59 PM »

Not sure what DeSantis is doing.

DeSantis' poor response to this pandemic has been astounding, and has lowered my opinion of him-aside from his obstructionism of Florida's Amendment 4, as has been noted here. This is one of the weaknesses of our federal system-that the state-level responses to crises really do depend on the competency of the governors. Some governors (i.e. DeWine, Cuomo, Newsom, Baker, Hogan, Pritzker, Inslee, Beshear) have done a good or even an excellent job at responding to this pandemic, while others (i.e. Lee, Abbott, Ivey, Reeves, DeSantis) have done terribly.

More extreme restrictions does not equal doing better.

That is very true. Singapore and South Korea rely on intelligent patient tracing as a more effective tool than social distancing.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #826 on: March 28, 2020, 09:39:34 PM »

At the start of an epidemic, heavy testing and contact monitoring can work out well, but when the virus gets out of control, it is undoable. If we wanted to take the Singapore approach, we would have had to be doing it a month ago. The first clusters of the outbreaks in Washington and New York were manageable, but we didn’t have the testing infrastructure set up (thanks to our genius president) so that ship sailed. I swear to god, no one should be using South Korea or Singapore as an excuse to not lockdown.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #827 on: March 28, 2020, 09:45:28 PM »

Anyways, we could have prevented a second wave, but it’s too late now. In about one-two weeks, what is happening in New York will emerge in mid-size American cities. Expect (but not limited to) Atlanta, Charlotte, the DC area, pretty much all of non-panhandle Florida, Nashville, Las Vegas, and Phoenix to be possible hotspots. Other midsize cities may also be affected. Had we adopted the “authoritarian” lockdown measure I have been pushing for weeks, this second wave would have been preventable.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #828 on: March 28, 2020, 09:48:33 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #829 on: March 28, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »

DeSantis' poor response to this pandemic has been astounding, and has lowered my opinion of him-aside from his obstructionism of Florida's Amendment 4, as has been noted here. This is one of the weaknesses of our federal system-that the state-level responses to crises really do depend on the competency of the governors. Some governors (i.e. DeWine, Cuomo, Newsom, Baker, Hogan, Pritzker, Inslee, Beshear) have done a good or even an excellent job at responding to this pandemic, while others (i.e. Lee, Abbott, Ivey, Reeves, DeSantis) have done terribly.

You're right, it does not equal being better, not in all cases or in all circumstances. New York is proof positive of this. But some governors have taken an absolutely carefree or reckless approach to this. There are certain steps which they could have taken to arrest the disease's progress. DeSantis, for example, should have reined in the local county authorities from early on, and shut down the beaches as soon as this crisis became obvious. Had he done so, he may have averted much of the growth in cases which Florida has seen, and which it will see, in the coming weeks.

Moreover, many of the "spring breakers" (people of my own age, who I nevertheless regard with contempt), have themselves been diagnosed with the disease, and they have undoubtedly infected many of their family members, strangers, etc, further contributing to its spread. Someone posted a picture on here of Duval and St. Johns Counties, and their beaches, showing the lack of coordination in response to this outbreak. It truly is telling.

And going back to my earlier point about the need for "seriousness" on the part of our authorities, I do believe that if a governor shows clear, decisive action, can articulate what steps they are taking, and can effectively reassure the populace, the response will be furthered. Cuomo has done this with his near-daily press conferences (and Polis has done so in my home state of Colorado). If voters see that their politicians are taking this seriously and keeping them informed of what happens, then they will be more likely to take proactive steps themselves and to honor the restrictions which have been put in place. We cannot have public figures like Lieutenant Governor Patrick of Texas-one of the most ignorant public officeholders in this country, in my view-spreading misinformation and downplaying the seriousness of this outbreak.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #830 on: March 28, 2020, 10:45:37 PM »

Anyways, we could have prevented a second wave, but it’s too late now. In about one-two weeks, what is happening in New York will emerge in mid-size American cities. Expect (but not limited to) Atlanta, Charlotte, the DC area, pretty much all of non-panhandle Florida, Nashville, Las Vegas, and Phoenix to be possible hotspots. Other midsize cities may also be affected. Had we adopted the “authoritarian” lockdown measure I have been pushing for weeks, this second wave would have been preventable.

It stopped being preventable November 8th, 2016.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #831 on: March 28, 2020, 10:52:46 PM »

Not squashing Spring Break after seeing New Orleans post Mardi Gras was next level stupid.  And now having a checkpoint at the Panhandle border to tell anyone with Louisiana plates to quarantine while FL has slingshot past Louisiana for positives is basically a parody of containment.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #832 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:14 PM »

Not squashing Spring Break after seeing New Orleans post Mardi Gras was next level stupid.  And now having a checkpoint at the Panhandle border to tell anyone with Louisiana plates to quarantine while FL has slingshot past Louisiana for positives is basically a parody of containment.

It also astounds me how so many of my peers mocked this outbreak when it was in its early stages. I noted some of my classmates who derided this as the "fkin flu" and stated that only "old people" could get it, and were wondering why campus was transitioning to online learning for it. And I also recall seeing the news coverage of many of these "spring breakers" who were saying they weren't concerned about this and boasting about how they were "invincible." The hubris of people appalls me.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:14 PM »

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #834 on: March 28, 2020, 11:11:28 PM »

How many deaths do you think we are going to actually see? 500,000? A million? Two million? Or more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming a 20% infection rate and 1% deaths among the infected (neither of those assumptions being particularly pessimistic) gets to around 600,000 deaths in America. I'm not necessarily predicting it will go that high, but it's definitely plausible, especially when lots of areas still aren't taking this seriously.

Which is why I'm ending it tonight.
Are you being serious?

Yeah, I really hope he's joking (it's not funny though). Especially with what I know about his past.

Millions are going to die, that's apparent. My parents are both in the high risk population and my brother is a cleaner at a medical research facility.

No, I am not joking.

Brah, message me your phone number. We are men of science, we fear no worldly terror.

The Australian Corona-virus rate is 1.7% of tested cases as coming back as positive.

And our 'Active Case' curve is like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. We are actually dropping in case growth already.

I'm not giving out my phone number.

And yes, I'm going through with it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #835 on: March 28, 2020, 11:24:10 PM »

Florida has had a better response than most states.  It doesn't make sense to issue strict lockdown measures on rural countries with few infections.  DeSantis has done a great job surgically targetting problem areas.  Florida is in basically the same place in Illinois despite having the opposite response.  We'll see what happens, who knows.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #836 on: March 28, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »

Governor DeSantis is a mass-murderer and must be tried for crimes against humanity.

B-b-b-utt muhh jobs!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #837 on: March 28, 2020, 11:40:15 PM »

Governor DeSantis is a mass-murderer and must be tried for crimes against humanity.

B-b-b-utt muhh jobs!

Yeah, who needs jobs right.  Those poors might lose everything, but hey, I can work from home so stop complaining!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2020, 11:41:47 PM »

You guys are being too hard on the spring breakers. I know several people who thought this was nothing and came around when they saw s*** get serious. The failure then was on the part of our leaders not to properly educate the public as to the seriousness and the dangers of this disease.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #839 on: March 28, 2020, 11:44:06 PM »

How many deaths do you think we are going to actually see? 500,000? A million? Two million? Or more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming a 20% infection rate and 1% deaths among the infected (neither of those assumptions being particularly pessimistic) gets to around 600,000 deaths in America. I'm not necessarily predicting it will go that high, but it's definitely plausible, especially when lots of areas still aren't taking this seriously.

Which is why I'm ending it tonight.
Are you being serious?

Yeah, I really hope he's joking (it's not funny though). Especially with what I know about his past.

Millions are going to die, that's apparent. My parents are both in the high risk population and my brother is a cleaner at a medical research facility.

No, I am not joking.

Brah, message me your phone number. We are men of science, we fear no worldly terror.

The Australian Corona-virus rate is 1.7% of tested cases as coming back as positive.

And our 'Active Case' curve is like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. We are actually dropping in case growth already.

I'm not giving out my phone number.

And yes, I'm going through with it.

Please don't.  This is not a hopeless situation- almost everyone will make it to the other side of this OK.  Your friends and family will need you to be there for them in this time, just like any other.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #840 on: March 28, 2020, 11:47:03 PM »

You guys are being too hard on the spring breakers. I know several people who thought this was nothing and came around when they saw s*** get serious. The failure then was on the part of our leaders not to properly educate the public as to the seriousness and the dangers of this disease.

Not sure if /s, but the country is literally grinding to a halt, COVID-19 is basically wall-to-wall on every channel (well, can't say for Fox News), politicians/celebrities are getting sick and it's basically all anyone in the government/media is talking about. If people aren't taking this seriously by now, no amount of proper education from politicians of all people would make a difference. Unfortunately, this is just another case of many young people not paying any attention to anything serious and thinking all that matters in their lives is partying and socializing. And this is on top of Trump basically blowing off the whole pandemic as a nothingburger up until a few weeks ago (so if you refer to Trump, you have a point, except that everyone else was ringing the alarms).
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #841 on: March 28, 2020, 11:56:36 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 12:06:49 AM by Buh her emails! »

People need to calm down and breathe.  This virus is bad, but it’s not the end of the world.  Please read this article. Things will get better soon.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate?fbclid=IwAR162uNamWY9S2fKluAi-8oO1WilEw9nKanFg_XzSlKF5UE8HA83YkHQs-A
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #842 on: March 28, 2020, 11:58:50 PM »

A few weeks ago is when I started noticing the changes.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #843 on: March 29, 2020, 12:00:21 AM »

Paywalled but I agree life will go on.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #844 on: March 29, 2020, 12:00:37 AM »

Not sure if /s, but the country is literally grinding to a halt, COVID-19 is basically wall-to-wall on every channel (well, can't say for Fox News), politicians/celebrities are getting sick and it's basically all anyone in the government/media is talking about. If people aren't taking this seriously by now, no amount of proper education from politicians of all people would make a difference. Unfortunately, this is just another case of many young people not paying any attention to anything serious and thinking all that matters in their lives is partying and socializing. And this is on top of Trump basically blowing off the whole pandemic as a nothingburger up until a few weeks ago (so if you refer to Trump, you have a point, except that everyone else was ringing the alarms).

Also, it is worth pointing out, if there is but one person that young people would listen to, it is the President Donald J. Trump, for whom their love and devotion has been demonstrated so much.

The younger folks I work with spent the first two weeks of March insisting that Lysol spread Covid-19 because the word "coronavirus" appears on the label and that vaccines also spread the disease because "if people were healthy, doctor's wouldn't have a way to make money".

The trafficking of fake news on social media completely permeates the younger generation, they are completely ignorant of reality, lack any trust or faith in anyone and refuse to listen to reason or to science.

The Atlas lives in a bubble of mostly college educated people, non-college generation Z is horrifying in this regards and it knows no racial boundaries.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #845 on: March 29, 2020, 12:10:18 AM »

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted. Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #846 on: March 29, 2020, 12:14:00 AM »

Also, it is worth pointing out, if there is but one person that young people would listen to, it is the President Donald J. Trump, for whom their love and devotion has been demonstrated so much.

The younger folks I work with spent the first two weeks of March insisting that Lysol spread Covid-19 because the word "coronavirus" appears on the label and that vaccines also spread the disease because "if people were healthy, doctor's wouldn't have a way to make money".

The trafficking of fake news on social media completely permeates the younger generation, they are completely ignorant of reality, lack any trust or faith in anyone and refuse to listen to reason or to science.

The Atlas lives in a bubble of mostly college educated people, non-college generation Z is horrifying in this regards and it knows no racial boundaries.
Maybe it’s just that I live in a different place, but nearly all Gen-Zer’s where I live and who I go to school with don’t think that way about vaccines at all. In fact, they nearly all think anti-vaxxers  are the dumbest people ever. The coronavirus thing seems more like an education divide than an age divide. (Although some people my age aren’t taking the virus seriously because they are teens who think they are invincible)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #847 on: March 29, 2020, 12:16:33 AM »

Michael Levitt, a Nobel laureate and Stanford biophysicist, began analyzing the number of COVID-19 cases worldwide in January and correctly calculated that China would get through the worst of its coronavirus outbreak long before many health experts had predicted. Now he foresees a similar outcome in the United States and the rest of the world.

China handled it a lot better than we did... and do we really trust their government with their numbers?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #848 on: March 29, 2020, 12:20:47 AM »

China had by far the most proactive response after the original ****up with Hubei. The USA is not even on the same level as Italy, much less China. We won’t have a similar outcome to China. The virus will probably end within the next few months, but the cost will be way too high. (Of course, certain Atlas users will go around telling people it was “inevitable” and that nothing could be done once this all finishes)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #849 on: March 29, 2020, 12:21:23 AM »

Our death total will pass China in the next 2 to 4 days. They have roughly 4.25 times our population and the pandemic started over there. That is a tremendous failure any way you look at it.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies