COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 09:22:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 62
Author Topic: COVID-19 Megathread 3: Third time's a charm  (Read 149338 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: March 29, 2020, 12:31:28 AM »

People need to calm down and breathe.  This virus is bad, but it’s not the end of the world.  Please read this article. Things will get better soon.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-22/coronavirus-outbreak-nobel-laureate?fbclid=IwAR162uNamWY9S2fKluAi-8oO1WilEw9nKanFg_XzSlKF5UE8HA83YkHQs-A

I’d like to believe it, but he seems to have been quite wrong about Iran.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #851 on: March 29, 2020, 12:48:54 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 01:11:01 AM by Ogre Mage »

Maybe it’s just that I live in a different place, but nearly all Gen-Zer’s where I live and who I go to school with don’t think that way about vaccines at all. In fact, they nearly all think anti-vaxxers  are the dumbest people ever. The coronavirus thing seems more like an education divide than an age divide. (Although some people my age aren’t taking the virus seriously because they are teens who think they are invincible)

Colorado is one of the most educated states in the U.S.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #852 on: March 29, 2020, 12:52:49 AM »

In a sick twist of fate, COVID may have saved dozens of lives via the shutdowns of shops and businesses.

https://www.kait8.com/2020/03/28/tornado-warnings-issued-throughout-region-craighead-poinsett-counties-pm/

Large Tornado ripped through the shopping district of a city at peak shopping hours, and there was nearly no one to be affected.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #853 on: March 29, 2020, 02:15:21 AM »

How many deaths do you think we are going to actually see? 500,000? A million? Two million? Or more?

I can't speak for anyone else, but assuming a 20% infection rate and 1% deaths among the infected (neither of those assumptions being particularly pessimistic) gets to around 600,000 deaths in America. I'm not necessarily predicting it will go that high, but it's definitely plausible, especially when lots of areas still aren't taking this seriously.

Which is why I'm ending it tonight.
Are you being serious?

Yeah, I really hope he's joking (it's not funny though). Especially with what I know about his past.

Millions are going to die, that's apparent. My parents are both in the high risk population and my brother is a cleaner at a medical research facility.

No, I am not joking.

Brah, message me your phone number. We are men of science, we fear no worldly terror.

The Australian Corona-virus rate is 1.7% of tested cases as coming back as positive.

And our 'Active Case' curve is like Singapore, South Korea and Japan. We are actually dropping in case growth already.

I'm not giving out my phone number.

And yes, I'm going through with it.

Please don't.  This is not a hopeless situation- almost everyone will make it to the other side of this OK.  Your friends and family will need you to be there for them in this time, just like any other.

Really? Seems pretty f***ing hopeless.

At least a million will die in the US, I know that's a given, but it will likely be over 2 million. And that's likely just the virus alone.

So no, not almost everyone will be okay. I'm done.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #854 on: March 29, 2020, 02:35:18 AM »

Our death total will pass China in the next 2 to 4 days. They have roughly 4.25 times our population and the pandemic started over there. That is a tremendous failure any way you look at it.

I mean we could also just start lying about it like China
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #855 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:47 AM »

The US federal government resonse is completely idiotic and chaotic and resembles the EU's incompetence on this crisis.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #856 on: March 29, 2020, 03:12:37 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 04:10:20 AM by Meclazine »

The US federal government resonse is completely idiotic and chaotic and resembles the EU's incompetence together with Australia's response on this crisis.

FTFY. Our politicians let 168 Corona-virus positive cases from a Cruise Chip straight into downtown Sydney, increasing the number of cases in the country by >5% in one foul swoop.

The Corona-virus response of all Governments highlights their general lackadaisical attitude towards life is not suitable in these situations.

We should just change to a medical/engineering response team.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #857 on: March 29, 2020, 04:34:09 AM »

Australia now has the highest testing rate on the planet (higher than South Korea) with an average positive return rate of 1.7%.

for wikipedia Australia is 8th in testing rate, after
Iceland
Bahrain
Norway
UAE
Switzerland
Slovenia
Malta
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #858 on: March 29, 2020, 04:44:31 AM »

The US federal government resonse is completely idiotic and chaotic and resembles the EU's incompetence on this crisis.

The difference is, though, the EU has not been asked by national governments. The commission hasn't even been informed in advance of border closings. The Trump Administration is just not capable of adequate response due to incompetence and downplayed the threat too long.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #859 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:10 AM »

You guys are being too hard on the spring breakers. I know several people who thought this was nothing and came around when they saw s*** get serious. The failure then was on the part of our leaders not to properly educate the public as to the seriousness and the dangers of this disease.

Not sure if /s, but the country is literally grinding to a halt, COVID-19 is basically wall-to-wall on every channel (well, can't say for Fox News), politicians/celebrities are getting sick and it's basically all anyone in the government/media is talking about. If people aren't taking this seriously by now, no amount of proper education from politicians of all people would make a difference. Unfortunately, this is just another case of many young people not paying any attention to anything serious and thinking all that matters in their lives is partying and socializing. And this is on top of Trump basically blowing off the whole pandemic as a nothingburger up until a few weeks ago (so if you refer to Trump, you have a point, except that everyone else was ringing the alarms).

We are talking about Millineals, goddammit. These people voted for Bremain and Corbyn (in UK) and for Hillary (in US). They spread corona, because they have mild or none symptoms. They are not as contagious as those with more severe symptoms, but they are many and they refuse do a basics like wash their f**king hands and do a little social distancing. They don't take any of these threats seriously and nor should you expect it from them.

US is somewhere in between, but likely much similar to Netherlands than Iceland. It has to be a HUGE number of undetected corona among Millenials.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #860 on: March 29, 2020, 06:16:24 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 06:29:52 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Woke up this morning with a slight fever (around 100.6*F via IR thermometer) and non-productive cough.  

Took my own vitals about an hour ago -- everything is normal (my blood pressure is a bit low, but that happens from time to time).  

Not terribly concerned, though.  I'm already in a self-quarantine situation anyway.  
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #861 on: March 29, 2020, 06:19:45 AM »
« Edited: March 29, 2020, 06:23:41 AM by Meclazine »

Australia now has the highest testing rate on the planet (higher than South Korea) with an average positive return rate of 1.7%.

for wikipedia Australia is 8th in testing rate, after
Iceland
Bahrain
Norway
UAE
Switzerland
Slovenia
Malta

The Prime Minister was saying that Australia has the highest testing rate (per capita) of major countries. Maybe he meant above 20M people.

Note to self: don't quote the Prime Minister of Australia's comments as proven scientific data.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #862 on: March 29, 2020, 06:25:57 AM »

Daily stats from FT
https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #863 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:55 AM »

Woke up this morning with a slight fever (around 100.6*F via IR thermometer) and non-productive cough.  

Took my own vitals about an hour ago -- everything is normal (though my blood pressure is a bit low, but that happens from time to time).  

Not terribly concerned, though.  I'm already in a self-quarantine situation anyway.  

Rest up, and get well soon PQG. We're rooting for you to kick this thing to the curb.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #864 on: March 29, 2020, 07:41:35 AM »

The difference is, though, the EU has not been asked by national governments. The commission hasn't even been informed in advance of border closings. The Trump Administration is just not capable of adequate response due to incompetence and downplayed the threat too long.

Yeah, the EU itself has actually done a reasonable job. Eg cajoling the states back into allowing medical equipment to be transported across borders. The big problem has been the way the member states themselves behaved.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #865 on: March 29, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »

'Scandal' isn't the right word. It's more like 'indictment'.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #866 on: March 29, 2020, 09:02:05 AM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #867 on: March 29, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »

Good for him. Seeing how low the California numbers are it seems to me than Newsom is doing overall a very good job.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #868 on: March 29, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »

Good for him. Seeing how low the California numbers are it seems to me than Newsom is doing overall a very good job.

Yup, I'm proud to have him in charge. He, Cuomo, Hogan, Pritzker and DeWine are doing the best jobs.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #869 on: March 29, 2020, 09:29:44 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #870 on: March 29, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »

Bloomberg: Fauci Says 200,000 Deaths in the U.S. Are Possible: Virus Update

U.S. coronavirus deaths could reach 200,000, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Director Anthony Fauci said on CNN’s “State of the Union,” calling the estimate “fluid.” More than half of the new cases are in New York, he said.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #871 on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:33 AM »

Took my own vitals about an hour ago -- everything is normal (though my blood pressure is a bit low, but that happens from time to time).  

Rest up, and get well soon PQG. We're rooting for you to kick this thing to the curb.

Thank you!

I obviously can't be 100% certain that it's COVID-19, but in any case: I've beaten malaria, septicemia, and appendicitis.  With rest and fluids, I should be fine.  
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #872 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-are-worried-about-the-coronavirus-theyre-even-more-worried-about-the-economy/
Americans Are Worried About The Coronavirus. They’re Even More Worried About The Economy.

The fact that more Americans are worried about the effect of the coronavirus on the economy than about their own health may put pressure on politicians to kickstart the economy, making it harder for public health officials to push for preventive measures like social distancing.

But Dr. Howard Koh, a professor at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, warned that the response to the coronavirus is complicated by the level of uncertainty that still exists around the virus’ spread.

“We are hampered because the data we are using to track this pandemic right now is still incomplete. It’s better than it was several weeks ago, but we’re still not in a place where everyone agrees,” said Koh.

The U.S. was late to ramp up testing, only starting at the beginning of March, which means we don’t yet have complete information on who is infected or the rate at which the virus is spreading. According to a weekly survey of infectious disease researchers across the U.S., many experts agree the situation has worsened in the last few days, but there is still a wide range in the projected number of expected cases and deaths.

Koh said that we have to reach the point where we better understand the spread of the coronavirus before we can send people back into the workforce. Otherwise, we risk overwhelming hospitals and the health care workforce capacity, perhaps leading to even more economic hardship.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #873 on: March 29, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #874 on: March 29, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »

At this point, that's not really surprising.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies