An Effective Consensus
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 07:11:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  An Effective Consensus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 27
Author Topic: An Effective Consensus  (Read 41177 times)
You don't see any blue avatars now
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2020, 04:35:28 PM »

Oh God we're gonna wind up with President Helms in 1976/80 aren't we. Honestly, I'd probably officially switch parties then, rather than being a swing voter. I could be a Democrat for Romney, but I can't be a member of the Party of Jesse Helms.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2020, 07:40:24 PM »

George

Wikimedia Commons

President Romney was hosting a meeting in a White House conference room of the youngest and brightest of Washington up and coming Republicans. He, Vice President Brooke, and the RNC Chair Mary Louise Smith sat as they discussed public policy and politics. However the meeting was soon interrupted as an aide entered to speak to the President.

Romney stood and spoke, "sorry Ms. Rodham, I'm enjoying this immensely but duty calls. Thank you Mary." Everyone would soon leave but the Vice President. "Thanks Ed I wanted to speak to you." George settled down on one of the Oval's couches and Edward Brooke on the other one.

"Ed, you know I'm almost done in this House. I've done my part but it's time to move on. That's so important." George's eyes scanned the ceiling of the room. "President Washington you know, a real visionary. I don't know what we would've done without him." George's eyes settled on the table in front of them. Edward knew something was up.

"What is it George?"

"Ed, I've wanted to ask you this for some time, you know these campaigns they come so fast and last so long. It's important that I tell you, especially given how big the primary season is now. Ed, I really think you, uh, you know the Church would ring my neck if they heard this-"

"You want me to run for President." George leapt forward, though not out of his seat.

"Yes, yes! You see it's just so important-"

"George I'm not gonna do it." Romney's face fell back. His eyes sunk.

"But Ed, you'd be great, not only would you be great, but it would herald a new era without racial hatred, just think about it, before me George Wallace and afterwords, America's first black President. Just think about what that means, you could do so much good, you're capable, you're able, you're competent, you know how to do the job." Edward frowned.

"George, I'm not capable, no man is capable of ending racism. We'll be climbing that mountain for decades to come. And George, I can tell you from experience that this country will never elect a n*****." Edward moved his stiffer arm in a slow manner onto a pillow. George sunk back, almost in shame. He looked at his hands which he folded, and then spoke with his courage returned.

"I know Ed, but I think there are enough good people in this country, you bring out good people. You know if you ran I couldn't endorse but I'd do everything to make sure you won, and renewed this Party or all our posterity as the Party of Lincoln and the Party of Frederick Douglass."

"George I don't doubt your genuine hope, or your support, but this country, this great land as much as we want it to be there, it isn't there. We could get there soon, and I know how you regard this with the greatest kindness, but George, we're not there yet."

George sunk back into his chair and looked into his hands. Maybe one day, maybe one day, George hoped America would get there.

Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #277 on: April 28, 2020, 08:31:35 PM »

GIVE ME EDWARD OR GIVE ME DEATH!
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #278 on: April 28, 2020, 08:32:01 PM »

I'd like Brooke, but I'm waiting to see who the other candidates are.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2020, 12:16:14 PM »

Democratic Cheney. What a world Romney has created.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2020, 12:24:09 PM »

"sorry Ms. Rodham, I'm enjoying this immensely but duty calls.

Yeeeeeeees!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2020, 12:28:35 PM »

I'd like to explain that in length if I can.

First, it's important to emphasize that Eisenhower, Wallace, Romney, and Brooke all share critical roles in the sea changes I'm depicting. Eisenhower signed the CRA, depriving Democrats of the triumph, shifting the AA vote, and angering Southern whites who may have been moving to the Republicans. Wallace solidified that shift with a reactionary populist administration, and Romney again with his high minded liberalism. Brooke is also important, America's first black Vice President is a Republican and further alienates the White Southern Bloc from the GOP.

Now, as for Cheney. He never gets indoctrinated into the GOP by the OTL Nixon Administration and his time as interning for Rumsfeld. Secondly, the oil establishment and conservatives are still very much Democrats so there he is as a Democrat. Finally, I think Dick would be in any party that he could get power in.

Expect more from Cheney in this TL.
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

I'd like to explain that in length if I can.

First, it's important to emphasize that Eisenhower, Wallace, Romney, and Brooke all share critical roles in the sea changes I'm depicting. Eisenhower signed the CRA, depriving Democrats of the triumph, shifting the AA vote, and angering Southern whites who may have been moving to the Republicans. Wallace solidified that shift with a reactionary populist administration, and Romney again with his high minded liberalism. Brooke is also important, America's first black Vice President is a Republican and further alienates the White Southern Bloc from the GOP.

Now, as for Cheney. He never gets indoctrinated into the GOP by the OTL Nixon Administration and his time as interning for Rumsfeld. Secondly, the oil establishment and conservatives are still very much Democrats so there he is as a Democrat. Finally, I think Dick would be in any party that he could get power in.

Expect more from Cheney in this TL.

You absolutely nailed it. For a bunch of reasons, chief among them being that this is my favorite timeline going right now, I look forward to more.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #283 on: April 29, 2020, 01:04:52 PM »

Curious to see what happens in 1976! Hoping for the opposite of my friend OSR here- a progressive Republican and a more conservative populist Democrat. Eliminating Reaganism in its crib would be wonderful.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #284 on: April 29, 2020, 01:22:27 PM »

Curious to see what happens in 1976! Hoping for the opposite of my friend OSR here- a progressive Republican and a more conservative populist Democrat. Eliminating Reaganism in its crib would be wonderful.

Not surprised given our differences on supply side economics . So you would like to see supply side economics remain on the fringes while I would like it to be implemented
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2020, 09:57:41 AM »

Dick

Wikimedia Commons

Richard Nixon settled down by the poolside. He had come far from the small Quaker home built by his father, he had risen to the highest office in the land and now in his view the best office in land: MLB Commissioner. He had more fun here than he ever had anywhere else. Baseball, that was his passion. The 1974 World Series had wrapped up, the Athletics had won the Pennant again but this time they'd won it all and beat the Dodgers in an exciting 7 games. Although Nixon would soon leave his comfortable life for a bit, and the headlines proclaimed exactly why. John F. Kennedy was dead. The reasons were unclear, the coroner's report was kept private (though many speculating it was an adrenal condition that did Jack in), but the Senator was at home when he had died. Nixon was sad, yes, despite the fact that Jack and Bobby nearly stole an election from him, but he took some kind of pleasure in what he saw as the tragedy of this aristocratic family, that kept getting rejected in the highest levels of power politics. Well, maybe Teddy would snap that streak in '76. But who would the Republican be? Nixon still held political sway, although he had refrained from public campaigning since a rally or two for Romney in '68 due to his obligations as Commissioner, but he could sway some key endorsements. Bill Scranton seemed interested in a run, Ronald Reagan was all but already throwing his hat in the rang, and John Lindsay was interested too. But Nixon was unsatisfied with the field, perhaps Democrats would shoot themselves in the foot again and nominate some drunk racist. Nixon put down the paper, he'd need to pack and head for Washington for the funeral, which would be a very large but solemn affair. He put the paper down, leaving behind an article on the appointment of Paul Tsongas to the open Senate seat and the death of some exiled Iranian cleric in a heart attack.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #286 on: May 01, 2020, 10:11:41 AM »

Nixon '76 would be fun. I wouldn't support him, but it'd be fun.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2020, 12:39:04 AM »

Reagan 1976!!!
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2020, 03:13:10 PM »

A couple interesting things:
1. MS. RODHAM!!! I hope you give Hillary a bright future here Tongue
2. "the death of some exiled Iranian cleric in a heart attack" if this is Khomeini then this reality is already BEAUTIFUL
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2020, 08:01:30 PM »

2. "the death of some exiled Iranian cleric in a heart attack" if this is Khomeini then this reality is already BEAUTIFUL

1. Wink
2. He's dead
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »

A most excellent TL! Just read the whole thing! Here’s a question for you: What is Wayne Morse up to?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »

A most excellent TL! Just read the whole thing! Here’s a question for you: What is Wayne Morse up to?

Thank you! Wow!

Okay this is a fun one

He contests the Republican primary '68, defeats Packwood and reenters the Senate as a Republican. He is a staunch Romneyite and works to end the Vietnam War much earlier than OTL. He remains in the Senate.

Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #292 on: May 03, 2020, 01:04:19 AM »

Thank you! Wow!

Okay this is a fun one

He contests the Republican primary '68, defeats Packwood and reenters the Senate as a Republican. He is a staunch Romneyite and works to end the Vietnam War much earlier than OTL. He remains in the Senate.

I wondered if he would go back to his old party. He definitely seemed like a prime contender to do so.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: May 03, 2020, 03:51:12 AM »

1. Wink
2. He's dead

JEB.jpg
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #294 on: May 05, 2020, 07:38:10 PM »

Gallup Poll: President Romney Job Approval January 1975

Wikimedia Commons

Approve: 56%
Disapprove: 42%

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2020, 12:06:18 PM »

Wikimedia Commons and Image Modified by Me

The Romney Administration

The Romney administration headed into 1975 strong. The midterms were a loss yes, but the President remained popular and the economy was finally doing strong, real strong. The oil crisis was over, and job creation was rising. The deficit even began to fall as growth increased, Romney had promised in 1968 a more united, brighter, and optimistic America. It seemed he had delivered. However there were still fault lines. There continued to be a suburban anger over the busing and desegregation Romney had pushed, and still in many places in the south police and racist violence against Blacks was common. Romney refused to stop his efforts, he had the Justice Department fight relentless for civil rights in the courts and would invite Southern Governors to the White House to berate them. He reached out to civil rights leaders like Dr. King, inviting him to the White House, trying to continue to foster a culture of reconciliation and equality.

Despite American withdrawal from Vietnam, it continued to be a sore spot for American foreign policy. The brutal and horrific Khmer Rouge had taken power in Cambodia. Romney saw the wisdom in removing such a regime, but was reluctant to get back involved in Indochina. Ultimately he approved political and arms support to non communist rebel groups, and winning over leftist groups to American cash. Romney also continued to improve relations with China, and playing them off against the Soviet Union. However Romney made sure to hold talks with Suslov and Gromyko in Budapest to push forwards control of long range ICBMs. He also made appeals to states like Yugoslavia, he hosted Tito in the White House, who were communist but were not beholden to Moscow. There was also the crisis in India, Indira Gandhi was embracing dictatorial tactics to hold power, Romney offered to act as mediator between factions but was rejected.

At home the New Left movement was largely in decline, there were sparse bombings by the Weather Underground and other radical groups, but with the Vietnam War long over the wind was largely out of their sails. On the anti drug front, Romney continued to resist pressure from congressional Democrats to push for highly punitive sentencing for drug possession crimes, preferring an educational approach in schools. First Lady Lenore Romney gained publicity for her, "just say no" campaign. However, Democrats continued to wield the drug issue as a political cudgel against Romney.

Middle East and Energy policy was also now in the forefront of the national dialogue. Many questioned why it was worth it to support Israel if it led to a gas crisis every time they were invaded by their neighbors. Some populist Democrats in particular began to echo these calls. But President Romney held firm, he refused to back down from support for Israel. He was joined by majorities in both parties. He instead called for more domestic oil production, and more research into mass production of alternative energy. Both of these were provided for in the next budget. In the next budget Democrats continued to push for tax increases to offset the deficit, but Romney refused to raise taxes. The deficit shrunk too, though Democrats refused to call for anything short of a balanced budget. But Romney refused to concede on the tax issue, he told the press, "economic stimulus is working, we need less tax increases and more tax relief. I will not raise taxes." He swore that in time growth would erase the deficit.

In autumn, Romney committed himself to campaigning on behalf of Republicans in the Massachusetts Special Senate election where Donald Dwight was running against Democrat Paul Tsongas. However, despite Romney's efforts the Democrats held the seat and Paul Tsongas was elected. This loss was only the beginnings of Romney's election woes. Despite his popularity, the strong economy, the peace in the nation, there was only headaches to come. In '76 there was no clear successor to Romney. Brooke had now ruled himself out publicly, intending to enter the world of philanthropy and business. Romney was lukewarm about Bill Scranton who he thought was too dull to win, everyone thought Rocky was past his time, and Hugh Scott was headed to retirement. Then of course, there was Reagan who had announced his campaign on a conservative platform. Who knew what was ahead?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: May 07, 2020, 01:53:23 AM »

Birch Bayh 1976 tbh
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend