KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:07:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39
Author Topic: KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in  (Read 60171 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: June 18, 2020, 07:13:23 PM »

Matt Jones and Rocky Adkins should have run.

They would have had a hope (along with either of the Beshears - Schumer really should have gone full Bullock on all four of them), but probably still wouldn't have been favoured. KY might not have provided Democrats with a tragedy by avoiding their nomination and tantalisingly close defeat, but the state may yet come through with the best political comedy of 2020: a primary loss for the most well-funded congressional challenger of all time.

I remember how much of a chance Bredesen had in TN, and a Beshear or any ancestral Dem would have had just as much luck. If Booker wins the primary, good for him. He has the honor of being the protest vote for the 40% of the state that doesn't approve of Mitch. He and everyone should be aware though that about a third of those voters will be Trump voters who just don't like Mitch and would want another Republican...and that 40% is about any Dem's ceiling unless they are running for Gov.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #526 on: June 18, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »

It's Ryan Grim, but it's still hilarious:

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #527 on: June 18, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

Matt Jones and Rocky Adkins should have run.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #528 on: June 18, 2020, 09:37:31 PM »

Who f**king cares?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2020, 11:32:56 PM »

Ryan Grim is going to burn in hell.  In a just world, every tweet he writes would be drowned in replies demanding that he never call himself a "journalist" ever again.

In other news, this race is starting to feel like an inevitable Booker win.  He has all the momentum and the party doesn't seem particularly opposed to him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #530 on: June 19, 2020, 02:18:42 AM »

A touch of irony for the candiaite who's received millions in out of state money to denouce outsiders... we love a slow moving crash car
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #531 on: June 19, 2020, 02:53:01 AM »

Yeah, this is good. First, McGrath used her national profile in '18 as an aesthetic lesbian

That's pretty offensive.

I mean maybe, but don't pretend that it isn't true haha.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #532 on: June 19, 2020, 08:06:28 AM »

Honestly at this rate, just have Charles Booker win, b/c the McGrath hate is so odd and ridiculous that I don't think I wanna deal with it for another 4 months
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #533 on: June 19, 2020, 08:51:57 AM »

Honestly at this rate, just have Charles Booker win, b/c the McGrath hate is so odd and ridiculous that I don't think I wanna deal with it for another 4 months

How dare people dislike a candidate that sued to throw away thousands of absentee ballots for no good reason.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #534 on: June 19, 2020, 09:41:04 AM »

How dare people dislike a candidate that sued to throw away thousands of absentee ballots for no good reason.

I haven't heard of this story but I can almost guarantee there is way more nuance to this story than you're making it out to be
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #535 on: June 19, 2020, 09:52:36 AM »

I haven't heard of this story but I can almost guarantee there is way more nuance to this story than you're making it out to be

There really isn’t:
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2020, 09:58:48 AM »

I want McGrath to win just to watch the heads explode. (*Also, KY will not elect a Black guy). Go McGrath!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2020, 10:27:38 AM »

I want Booker win just to watch Beet's head explode.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #538 on: June 19, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »

I want Booker win just to watch Beet's head explode.

My head is always exploding.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »

Let's be real- no matter who wins the nom McConnell isn't getting booted sadly. Booker is the better candidate imo but neither has a real shot at this barring a major upset.
Dipper Josh

« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »

The surface level political analysis to dismiss enthusiasm around Booker is really starting to grind my gears. "It doesnt matter who wins the primary because McConnell will beat them both", yeah I'm aware but there are multiple factors at play here.

Want a shot at KY-06 in the next couple cycles? Nominate a statewide candidate who is well liked, can run a grassroots campaign, that can bring the most enthusiasm to a race. The same logic applies to attempting to flip Kentucky house and senate seats that might be trending purple. Even if you can't flip them this cycle, a great statewide candidate can go a long way into fixing the kinks that can often be found in the running of these Democratic operations in southern states. For example, I vaguely remember a story coming out about how dysfunctional the Alabama Dems were earlier this year.

TL;DR: having strong candidates in Safe R statewide races is important and it very much matters who wins this primary.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2020, 02:19:21 PM »

If McGrath does lose, one question is what happens to her vast coffers.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »

I think that's up to her. After she's paid off any campaign debt, hopefully she can transfer it to the Senate races in NC, GA, & TX.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »

I dont know what there is so many polls from this race, MT is a better pickup and there are no polls from MT and we get KY, GA polls
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2020, 03:06:28 PM »

I use to actually like McGrath; her 2018 ad was one of the best of the campaigns & she appeared to be an extremely strong candidate.

It's clear on reflection that she isn't that good anymore; she appears to have fallen into the consultant trap that killed almost all the red state democrats- you end up taking positions you don't hold (like supporting Kavanaugh) & you end of speaking like a consultants teleprompter (I'm pro kentucky)

This race was always a chance to see how much democrats could scare Mitch McConnell & force some NRSC money back into the race
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #545 on: June 20, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »

I use to actually like McGrath; her 2018 ad was one of the best of the campaigns & she appeared to be an extremely strong candidate.

It's clear on reflection that she isn't that good anymore; she appears to have fallen into the consultant trap that killed almost all the red state democrats- you end up taking positions you don't hold (like supporting Kavanaugh) & you end of speaking like a consultants teleprompter (I'm pro kentucky)

This race was always a chance to see how much democrats could scare Mitch McConnell & force some NRSC money back into the race
Wow, you summed up my feelings entirely.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #546 on: June 21, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/503624-protesters-gather-at-mcconnells-kentucky-home-no-justice-no-sleep

Protesters descended on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s (R-Ky.) Kentucky home to demonstrate on an array of issues to commemorate Juneteenth.

Activists with the progressive Sunrise Movement, an environmental group that advocates for a slate of  left-leaning issues, were seen making noise and holding signs reading, “No justice, no sleep.”

“No justice, no sleep Mitch. You let our economy tumble into free-fall, our people be gunned down in the streets by killer cops, & our planet be ravaged by your oil CEO friends. This #Juneteenth, we’re wide awake. In November when we vote you out, maybe you’ll wake up, too,” the group tweeted.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #547 on: June 21, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »

I'd hope they would stop growing, but 2020 is so cursed that resistance boomers might still donate to her campaign to remove McConnell even after it had finished.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #548 on: June 22, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »

I'd hope they would stop growing, but 2020 is so cursed that resistance boomers might still donate to her campaign to remove McConnell even after it had finished.

What happened to all the $$$ we donated to Dems before Covid 19, they arent raising nearly as much as they did during the primary. I donated more $$$ this yr than I ever had

Its eaten up by overpaid politicians salaries, whom are rich enough. There is no limit to political salaries, which is ashamed
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #549 on: June 22, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »

Record turnout, bigger than 2008 so far.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies