KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:54:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39]
Author Topic: KY-SEN: Amy McGrath in  (Read 58535 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 13, 2020, 09:33:05 AM »

That was a Palpatine laugh I've ever heard it

That's what I was saying! It makes sense, given that McConnell basically is Palpatine, if he were a Republican and the Senate Majority Leader. He's one of the most evil men ever to have walked within the halls of the U.S. Capitol.

I don't think he's any more evil than your average Republican Senator or Representative.  He's just more shameless (maybe more honest) than the rest.

That's precisely what makes McConnell so detestable. That, and the fact that he is the Senate Majority Leader-and hence has been in the position to push the Republican agenda through and obstruct over the past dozen years.

I don't think he's done anything during that time that any other Senate Republican wouldn't also have done.

In fact, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and argue he's actually done some real good by making the Senate and the federal judiciary more (little-d) democratic.  He's destroyed a bunch of norms that were deeply unfair to begin with.  Why should a Republican majority confirm a liberal Supreme Court nominee?  Just because a sitting justice died on one day and not a few months later?  That's arbitrary.  Why should Republicans not use the agreed upon rules to pursue the agenda their voters sent them to Congress for?  The parties have different values and objectives, and nobody complains about partisanship in other countries' legislatures.  If Democrats want a liberal Supreme Court, they should win control of government and make one.  If they want to pass laws, they should win control of the Senate and change the rules to make that possible with their majority.  It's obscene to expect Republicans to betray their constituencies and help pass the opposition's agenda.  Nobody expects Democrats to do that.

The Senate is not a democratic institution by its very nature. Nice try, though.

It should be!  And what I'm arguing is that McConnell is nudging it in that direction.

" honestly guys, tearing down centuries of Senate norms and replacing even attempts at bipartisanship with knee-jerk gridlock an attempt to enforce a narrow vanity of the popular will on the large majority is not just McConnell's right, but his patriotic Duty!"

So sad that we got rid of the eye roll icon for posts like this

I don't agree with you and JDB about court-packing, but the other sentiments in this post accord with my thought, and what I was trying to say to Heebie Jeebie yesterday. I don't think a complete demolition of the Senate's prior norms will be helpful for anyone down the road, and Republicans may come to regret their moves if they find that they are in the minority, and cannot step Democratic schemes-such as court-packing and D.C. statehood-to which they are opposed.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #951 on: October 13, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »

That was a Palpatine laugh I've ever heard it

That's what I was saying! It makes sense, given that McConnell basically is Palpatine, if he were a Republican and the Senate Majority Leader. He's one of the most evil men ever to have walked within the halls of the U.S. Capitol.

I don't think he's any more evil than your average Republican Senator or Representative.  He's just more shameless (maybe more honest) than the rest.

That's precisely what makes McConnell so detestable. That, and the fact that he is the Senate Majority Leader-and hence has been in the position to push the Republican agenda through and obstruct over the past dozen years.

I don't think he's done anything during that time that any other Senate Republican wouldn't also have done.

In fact, I'm going to play devil's advocate here and argue he's actually done some real good by making the Senate and the federal judiciary more (little-d) democratic.  He's destroyed a bunch of norms that were deeply unfair to begin with.  Why should a Republican majority confirm a liberal Supreme Court nominee?  Just because a sitting justice died on one day and not a few months later?  That's arbitrary.  Why should Republicans not use the agreed upon rules to pursue the agenda their voters sent them to Congress for?  The parties have different values and objectives, and nobody complains about partisanship in other countries' legislatures.  If Democrats want a liberal Supreme Court, they should win control of government and make one.  If they want to pass laws, they should win control of the Senate and change the rules to make that possible with their majority.  It's obscene to expect Republicans to betray their constituencies and help pass the opposition's agenda.  Nobody expects Democrats to do that.

The Senate is not a democratic institution by its very nature. Nice try, though.

It should be!  And what I'm arguing is that McConnell is nudging it in that direction.

" honestly guys, tearing down centuries of Senate norms and replacing even attempts at bipartisanship with knee-jerk gridlock an attempt to enforce a narrow vanity of the popular will on the large majority is not just McConnell's right, but his patriotic Duty!"

So sad that we got rid of the eye roll icon for posts like this

This is an unfair mis-characterization of what I'm saying and you know it.  For one, we're not talking about "centuries of Senate norms."  Up until well into the Jim Crow era, the Senate was always a majoritarian body.  The supermajority requirement is an aberration, and as McConnell hacks away at it he's getting the Senate back to normal.  Two, Senate Republicans do what all politicians do in democratic systems--they try to keep their voters happy.  Their voters send them to Congress to oppose the Democratic agenda, and that's what they do.  How is this shocking?  It's wildly antidemocratic to expect otherwise.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #952 on: October 15, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #953 on: October 15, 2020, 02:09:31 PM »

A colossal waste, disgusting
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #954 on: October 15, 2020, 04:13:38 PM »

Just thank god it isn't $70 million.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #955 on: October 15, 2020, 05:06:20 PM »

Mcconnell has been helping Daines than spearheading his own campaign, the last state to flip D in a wave is AK and TX, McGrath is done
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #956 on: October 16, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/louisville-kentucky-voting-2020-a9b7e2f33a94ec269b31f0e9e88b5d70

A U.S. Postal Service worker is no longer employed there following an investigation into the discovery of 112 unopened absentee ballots inside a dumpster in Kentucky.

A contractor renovating a home in eastern Jefferson County found the ballots Thursday, news outlets reported. The ballots were intended for voters in the 40299 ZIP code and had not been filled out.

Postal Service Office of the Inspector General special agents also found two political flyers. The ballots and flyers were returned to the Postal Service to be properly delivered, Special Agent Scott Balfour said in a statement.

Dirty tricks from the McConnell campaign?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #957 on: October 17, 2020, 03:48:31 PM »

The Lexington Herald-Leader endorses McGrath

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #958 on: October 23, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »

Could McGrath beat him now with his hands and health issue?

It's possible.

If she wins 50%-49%, it would be a major upset.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #959 on: October 23, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »

Lol
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #960 on: October 23, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »

Lol

I didn't even know who the Libertarian nominee in Kentucky this year was. He looks ridiculous in that screenshot.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #961 on: October 23, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »

Lol

I fully approve of McCaskill-ian ratf@˘κery, but it's totally wasted on a state that's not going to be remotely close.

Aren't there libertarians in NC or MT that could be propped up?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2020, 03:21:04 PM »

Lol

I fully approve of McCaskill-ian ratf@˘κery, but it's totally wasted on a state that's not going to be remotely close.

Aren't there libertarians in NC or MT that could be propped up?

MT has no libertarians, NC does have one, it might also be wise to prop up the libertarians in TX, KS, and GA (ensure Purdue doesn't win on Round 1)
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies