Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:31:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133976 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: September 28, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »

That seems like an awfully cynical take and Warren has already answered critiques of pushback to her method of taxation. The wealthy already value their possessions for the purposes of insurance and accounting. If you own a painting that is valued at $100,000,000 you damn sure have it insured against theft or damage. So it would be very easy to find the assigned value of exotic investments and possessions. And if the assets are artificially inflated her taxation system would also be good at bringing it back down to real world values. A lot of Art collecting is a big scam that the rich use to launder and borrow money, as many investigative pieces have discovered.

Warren decided to pursue this method of taxation, for the very reason of tax sheltering, she didn't want the wealthy to hide their wealth so that it wasn't taxable.

Don't get me wrong.  I think her wealth tax would be great policy if actually enacted, and I think an objective Court, or a left-leaning Court, would certainly let the law stand.  That's what should happen.  But we all know that the Roberts Court is going to strike down anything it can, especially stuff not grounded in extensive precedent or ideas subject to even marginally credible Constitutional challenges.  Warren has to know this too, but she's sticking with the proposal.  I'm just suggesting she's making that choice not only for policy reasons, but for political reasons as well.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1376 on: September 28, 2019, 10:53:05 AM »

Don't get me wrong.  I think her wealth tax would be great policy if actually enacted, and I think an objective Court, or a left-leaning Court, would certainly let the law stand.  That's what should happen.  But we all know that the Roberts Court is going to strike down anything it can, especially stuff not grounded in extensive precedent or ideas subject to even marginally credible Constitutional challenges.  Warren has to know this too, but she's sticking with the proposal.  I'm just suggesting she's making that choice not only for policy reasons, but for political reasons as well.

I didn't even mean to say that you were cynical but the notion that we just expect the rightwing of The Supreme Court to make terrible decisions and accept this as political reality is cynical. When we talk about any progressive policy we have to temper everything, worry about too much too soon, and upsetting the social order when we are actually working to pursue policies that will benefit millions of us and the vast majority of our citizens. But policies, court decisions, and tax breaks that will protect a few thousand of the wealthiest are just business as usual. What a sad state of affairs.
McNukes™ #NYCMMWasAHero
Nuke
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 8.09

« Reply #1377 on: September 28, 2019, 05:08:17 PM »

And now, we see that Elizabeth Warren has even more claims that she's a native: It was brought up at her mother's funeral! Her mom and dad had to elope because the love defied grandparent racism! This is ridiculous. She's been even more deceptive than previously known.

https://twitter.com/alytadeleon/status/1178019629102505986?s=21
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1378 on: September 28, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »

And now, we see that Elizabeth Warren has even more claims that she's a native: It was brought up at her mother's funeral! Her mom and dad had to elope because the love defied grandparent racism! This is ridiculous. She's been even more deceptive than previously known.

Wake me up when she wears a tan suit or puts dijon mustard on her hot dogs.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1379 on: September 28, 2019, 05:49:18 PM »

What are you talking about? None of this information is new. She was brought up believing that story because that’s what her family taught her.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1380 on: September 28, 2019, 06:27:11 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2019, 06:53:38 PM by GP270watch »

It seems she was just relaying her family's oral history. I also wonder why her family's passed down history doesn't match her ancestry family/tree. Was somebody lying or adopted? Was somebody in her family a so called $5 Indian?

I also think it's of minimal importance to her presidential run from what we know so far.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1381 on: September 28, 2019, 06:41:01 PM »

What are you talking about? None of this information is new. She was brought up believing that story because that’s what her family taught her.

Did her family also teach her that their native family recipes were that of some French chef published in the NY Times in 1979?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1382 on: September 28, 2019, 07:03:55 PM »

Did her family also teach her that their native family recipes were that of some French chef published in the NY Times in 1979?

Nobody uses their own recipes when submitting to community cookbooks.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1383 on: September 28, 2019, 09:55:27 PM »

Health insurance costs surpass $20,000 per year, hitting a record

Average worker contribution is $6,000 for upfront premiums and doesn't include co-payments, deductibles and other forms of cost-sharing once they need care. Deductables and other cost-sharing is also rising faster than workers can afford.

The article explains how low wage/salaried workers are not offered affordable insurance because the math doesn't work for their employers.

How can anybody defend this system with a straight face?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1384 on: September 28, 2019, 10:32:34 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2019, 10:19:37 AM by Crumpets »

It seems she was just relaying her family's oral history. I also wonder why her family's passed down history doesn't match her ancestry family/tree. Was somebody lying or adopted? Was somebody in her family a so called $5 Indian?

I also think it's of minimal importance to her presidential run from what we know so far.

I think stuff like this is more common than her critics imagine, and I would guess most Americans don't know their ancestry beyond at most their great-grandparents with certainty.

My family actually had a vaguely similar situation to Warren's: My dad's cousin did a geneology project for our family. One of my great-great-grandparents was born on an Indian Reservation in the mid-to-late 19th century and had no clear records before his adulthood. He was even referred to in some sources as "Injun." Turns out, however, he was not actually Native American, which we only found out for certain after my dad and cousin took ancestry DNA tests. Our best guess knowing this is that he was part of a Mormon group that might have integrated into local Native groups to avoid harassment following the Mormon Wars. We really don't know for sure. None of us ever claimed to be Native on a form or anything, but it's not like our family was just blatantly lying to us either.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1385 on: September 29, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »

maybe clipping recipes from the NYT is an old Cherokee tradition.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1386 on: October 01, 2019, 07:45:13 AM »

I wonder why this idea doesn't get more play. 
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1387 on: October 01, 2019, 08:17:36 AM »

Warren now within 5 of Biden on the RCP average.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1388 on: October 01, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »

I wonder why this idea doesn't get more play. 

That would be a good move after she won the presidency, but beforehand it would be ill-advised to walk back that much during the campaign.
Epaminondas

« Reply #1389 on: October 01, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »

I think there is such a generational shift happening that it doesn't matter what corporate Democrats want, they have 4-10 years left tops. There isn't going to be less AOC's. The young generation that travels all around the world and can see things with their own eyes isn't going to be afraid of socialized medicine because some news chanel or insurance lobbyman has scary talking points.

We will keep seeing the shift for the better I believe.

If the next generation has money to "travel all around the world", I don't want to hear a peep about student loan forgiveness under any circumstances. I am thankful that American government is set up to stonewall all of this.

The last thing people should be doing is selfish and dirty world travel over starting families and prudently saving.

Your position is hardly surprisingly, given that travelling around the word is precisely what has enabled younger Americans to realise how profoundly destructive and unfair the debt-for-diploma US system is.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1390 on: October 01, 2019, 09:48:04 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 04:32:25 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

I think there is such a generational shift happening that it doesn't matter what corporate Democrats want, they have 4-10 years left tops. There isn't going to be less AOC's. The young generation that travels all around the world and can see things with their own eyes isn't going to be afraid of socialized medicine because some news chanel or insurance lobbyman has scary talking points.

If the next generation has money to "travel all around the world", I don't want to hear a peep about student loan forgiveness under any circumstances. I am thankful that American government is set up to stonewall all of this.

The last thing people should be doing is selfish and dirty world travel over starting families and prudently saving.

Your position is hardly surprisingly, given that travelling around the word is precisely what has enabled younger Americans to realise how profoundly destructive and unfair the debt-for-diploma US system is.

Mmhm. Not the Internet?

It's incredible that you guys can't see the contradiction. Those saddled with destructive debt are not the ones travelling the world - unless they have a very good job and get that benefit for free. You are mashing two different stereotypes of a generation together when in fact those groups have extremely limited overlap and still each individually represent a clear minority of the millennial population.
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1391 on: October 01, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 09:59:03 AM by gracile »

Starting a family is much more expensive than taking occasional, one-off trips to certain places, so I'm not really sure if that's the best solution for deeply indebted millennials either...
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1392 on: October 01, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »

R I C H T E A R S
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1393 on: October 01, 2019, 11:24:10 AM »

R I C H T E A R S

aggressively donates to Liz
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #1394 on: October 01, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »

R I C H T E A R S

aggressively donates to Liz
This was a 4d chess move by Zuckerberg to get people to support Warren because he knows how much everybody hates him.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1395 on: October 01, 2019, 11:26:52 AM »

The ads just write themselves.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1396 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »

Zuckerturd.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1397 on: October 01, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 12:08:29 PM by GP270watch »

These are like the best Warren endorsements you could imagine.

"You have someone like Elizabeth Warren who thinks that the right answer is to break up the companies ... if she gets elected president, then I would bet that we will have a legal challenge, and I would bet that we will win the legal challenge. And does that still suck for us? Yeah. I mean, I don’t want to have a major lawsuit against our own government. ... But look, at the end of the day, if someone’s going to try to threaten something that existential, you go to the mat and you fight."

The fact there is audio is gold.

But this is what I also fear. Zuck will go to his evil mentor Peter Thiel and they'll unleash a social media campaign that makes what the Russians/Facebook/Trump campaign did against Clinton 2016 look like child's play.

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1398 on: October 01, 2019, 12:05:28 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 12:09:05 PM by GP270watch »

RBC and Raymond James also did an analytical prospectus for their investors about the upcoming election. One of the takeaways is that they feel Elizabeth Warren's chances are being underestimated, that though they still slightly favor Trump, they believe she has a good shot of winning the nomination and Presidency.

It explains the stock sectors they think could be in turmoil if she wins and they include healthcare, banking, and tech. Despite all this they say it's not clear she would have a negative effect on the economy past the turbulence as a lot of her policy also has the ability to be transformative and fiscally stimulating.

Wall Street is starting to believe Warren may win nomination, putting health and bank stocks at risk
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1399 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »

Unlike the big banks , most people like the tech companies
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to: