Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:05:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133965 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 09, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »

Money certainly can matter, but if she can demonstrate that she can't be bought and that Trump is the candidate of big money, not her, I think that can help her in the long run.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1501 on: October 09, 2019, 10:42:39 AM »

Money certainly can matter, but if she can demonstrate that she can't be bought and that Trump is the candidate of big money, not her, I think that can help her in the long run.

To quote Yglesias one more time...

OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1502 on: October 09, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »

It's funny seeing the reactions on Twitter to this. If Warren were running for House, it'd be different since fundraising for the House is more predictive of who may win in the general than the presidential election where there'll be high coverage regardless.

Warren does have high enthusiasm among Dems and she'd be facing Trump, so not relying on big donors may not be a terribly huge issue for her.

And if anyone remembers or looks back to 2016, Clinton outraised Trump by a massive amount and it still didn't save her in the end.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1503 on: October 09, 2019, 11:20:56 AM »

It's funny seeing the reactions on Twitter to this. If Warren were running for House, it'd be different since fundraising for the House is more predictive of who may win in the general than the presidential election where there'll be high coverage regardless.

Warren does have high enthusiasm among Dems and she'd be facing Trump, so not relying on big donors may not be a terribly huge issue for her.

And if anyone remembers or looks back to 2016, Clinton outraised Trump by a massive amount and it still didn't save her in the end.

There's a big difference between "Clinton lost even though she outspent Trump" and "Clinton outspending Trump had no effect on the results" that I think you're ignoring. 
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1504 on: October 09, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »

The Bernbots will continue to be negative towards her though. I wish folks would stop letting those petulant children bully them.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1505 on: October 09, 2019, 11:29:02 AM »

There's a big difference between "Clinton lost even though she outspent Trump" and "Clinton outspending Trump had no effect on the results" that I think you're ignoring. 

Fair point. I just think that people are overreacting to this.
Babeuf

« Reply #1506 on: October 09, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »

This is the right approach. The backlash she would have received from going from no big donor events in the primary to doing them in the general would have been harmful. Best to avoid that and instead blast Trump as funded and controlled by the wealthy.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1507 on: October 09, 2019, 12:15:37 PM »

I'm already overdoing it on the tweetquotes, so why not one more...

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1508 on: October 09, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »

Good news. Let the surrogate PACs take the money.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1509 on: October 09, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »

More importantly, this is the right thing to do morally. Corporate PAC’s, fundraisers with mass donors, and the overall coziness of politicians with billionaires has helped contribute to the almost bipartisan consensus of trickle down economics that has been prevalent since the 1980s. It in turn has contributed to the toxic polarization of the political climate observed today and has reduced faith in institutions. Such faith, and subsequent long term economic success, will only be restored by separating themselves from said interests. Sanders and Warren have to their credit obviously realized this.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1510 on: October 09, 2019, 08:32:01 PM »

Boy i was reading through the earlier comments in this thread and it sure does continue the Atlas tradition of being horribly, laughably wrong
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1511 on: October 09, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »

Boy i was reading through the earlier comments in this thread and it sure does continue the Atlas tradition of being horribly, laughably wrong

In fairness, her rollout/early campaign was pretty bad. I think Warren has surprised a lot of people and exceeded their initial expectations.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1512 on: October 10, 2019, 03:02:49 AM »

In fairness, her rollout/early campaign was pretty bad. I think Warren has surprised a lot of people and exceeded their initial expectations.

And Biden was Biden, Sanders was always going to be static, and Hit-Or-Miss Harris ended up with much more misses.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1513 on: October 10, 2019, 03:55:24 AM »

The Bernbots will continue to be negative towards her though. I wish folks would stop letting those petulant children bully them.

Please do be sure to differentiate between the trolls and the actual Sanders supporters.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1514 on: October 10, 2019, 04:02:01 AM »

I think Warren made the right call here. She would look inauthentic from doing big-dollar fundraisers, and be less able to get across a 'drain the swamp' message, small donors seem pretty engaged and I think she will have plenty of money either way. Given the political pros and cons aren't clearly for doing these fundraisers it's good she's done the right thing, this sets the right example and the big-dollar fundraisers enhance the influence of the wealthy and are bad for democracy.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1515 on: October 10, 2019, 12:23:37 PM »

Please do be sure to differentiate between the trolls and the actual Sanders supporters.

Speaking as someone who strongly supports both Sanders and Warren (and can't really make up my mind between them) it's undeniable there's a significant contingent of Bernie's supporters who are absolutely poisoning the well against Warren. Besides this (valid) criticism for allowing big money donations in the general election, the second biggest argument from them I've seen is "her judgement can NEVER BE TRUSTED because she said she was a Republican thirty years ago" so I'm expecting that line of attack to become much more common now that she's changed her mind on the fundraising
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1516 on: October 10, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »

Elizabeth Warren has launched her LGBTQ+ rights plan today.  The plan is very detailed and comprehensive, including, but not limited to: support for the Equality Act, reverse the ban on trans soldiers serving in the military, conversion therapy ban, adding third gender options on identity documents, ending the blood ban for gay and bi males, and tackling job discrimination against LGBTQ+ Americans.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1517 on: October 10, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »

jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1518 on: October 10, 2019, 02:11:07 PM »

Do you guys like the idea of a Warren/Gillum ticket?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1519 on: October 10, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »

To quote our president, I like people who didn’t lose elections.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1520 on: October 10, 2019, 02:36:29 PM »

I would enthusiastically support a Warren/Gillum ticket.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1521 on: October 10, 2019, 02:40:16 PM »

I'm really not sure what Gillum being on the ticket would accomplish. I like him personally, and it wouldn't dampen my enthusiasm, but he lost his statewide election, in a critical state during a wave year for Democrats.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1522 on: October 10, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2019, 02:54:59 PM by jeb_arlo »

I love you, Elizabeth, but this is a bad idea. Gillum is the kind of person you pick for HUD Secretary, not veep. (And no, not because he's black.)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1523 on: October 10, 2019, 03:09:23 PM »

Yes. He’ll never win a rematch with DeSantis or a Senate seat with Scott or Rubio, and he can help in states that are easier to flip with significant black populations like MI and WI.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1524 on: October 10, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »

I don't like Gillum as a VP pick, he didn't bring it home in Florida exactly where he needed it most in Miami-Dade and Broward. I don't see his addition as helping to win the state of Florida decisively. He also has no real foreign policy chops. I would like to see a VP pick with more foreign policy experience to let Warren focus on domestic issues.

Not a very good idea in my opinion but who knows what she knows.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies