Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 03:45:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134449 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: October 01, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »
« edited: October 01, 2019, 12:16:26 PM by GP270watch »

Unlike the big banks , most people like the tech companies

They like using their products to keep up with family, news, or to be entertained. They don't like their privacy being invaded without appropriate permissions. They don't like their info being hacked or even sold legally to sketchy people. They don't like foreign governments interfering in our elections. They don't like tech companies going unpunished for anti-competitive practices that insure a level playing field for a fairer capitalist system.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1401 on: October 01, 2019, 12:14:01 PM »

Unlike the big banks , most people like the tech companies

Nobody likes Facebook.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1402 on: October 01, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »

These are like the best Warren endorsements you could imagine.

"You have someone like Elizabeth Warren who thinks that the right answer is to break up the companies ... if she gets elected president, then I would bet that we will have a legal challenge, and I would bet that we will win the legal challenge. And does that still suck for us? Yeah. I mean, I don’t want to have a major lawsuit against our own government. ... But look, at the end of the day, if someone’s going to try to threaten something that existential, you go to the mat and you fight."

The fact there is audio is gold.

But this is what I also fear. Zuck will go to his evil mentor Peter Thiel and they'll unleash a social media campaign that makes what the Russians/Facebook/Trump campaign did against Clinton 2016 look like child's play.

I hate the Zucc too, but he'd be well within his rights to do that.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1403 on: October 01, 2019, 12:24:09 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1404 on: October 01, 2019, 12:27:12 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 12:32:39 PM by GP270watch »

He didn't "go to the mats" when conservatives were angry that their fever dream conspiracy theories were not allowed to rocket to the top of News Feed.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1405 on: October 01, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »

The New York Times are even worst at that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1406 on: October 01, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »

R I C H T E A R S

b-b-but I was told she was a corporate whore because reasons!
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1407 on: October 01, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1408 on: October 01, 2019, 04:33:40 PM »

Clinton won the nomination so handily because she beat Sanders with whites in the South, and he could only tie nationally-- also blowing him out by 30+ points with Hispanics. Warren needs to take those two groups from Biden and get at least 1/3 of the black vote and she could win the nomination.

The takes surrounding the black vote and the Democratic nominee flatly ignore the other coalitions that propelled nominees to ascendance. Clinton could have won 2008 while losing black voters if not for white liberals backing Obama, Bill Clinton had a fractured field and steamrolled with white southerners who made up more of the party then, Gore had no real opposition, Kerry scooped up black voters who had no viable candidates reaching out to them, and Sanders was fringe. Warren can build a different coalition to win.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1409 on: October 01, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 04:37:43 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

These are like the best Warren endorsements you could imagine.

"You have someone like Elizabeth Warren who thinks that the right answer is to break up the companies ... if she gets elected president, then I would bet that we will have a legal challenge, and I would bet that we will win the legal challenge. And does that still suck for us? Yeah. I mean, I don’t want to have a major lawsuit against our own government. ... But look, at the end of the day, if someone’s going to try to threaten something that existential, you go to the mat and you fight."

The fact there is audio is gold.

But this is what I also fear. Zuck will go to his evil mentor Peter Thiel and they'll unleash a social media campaign that makes what the Russians/Facebook/Trump campaign did against Clinton 2016 look like child's play.

I hate the Zucc too, but he'd be well within his rights to do that.

Whatever one thinks of whether facebook should be broken up, how can anyone expect Zuccerberg to not do anything to try to stop it ?

He didn't "go to the mats" when conservatives were angry that their fever dream conspiracy theories were not allowed to rocket to the top of News Feed.
You really think that was the same level of threat to his business that having his company being broken up would be?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1410 on: October 01, 2019, 04:58:54 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2019, 06:41:15 PM by GP270watch »

The only reason anybody is talking about breaking up his company is because of failures like what happened with News Feed, it's all related. We can not allow one company to monopolize social media especially when they don't care about complying with the law, protecting people's info, safeguarding our elections, and limiting conspiratorial and blatantly false information as "news". Monopolies are anti-competitive, U.S. regulators could easily breakup Facebook if they wanted to. Facebook should take better steps to obey existing laws, instead of complaining about regulations or saying they're too different/new to be regulated with existing laws.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1411 on: October 01, 2019, 06:30:30 PM »

She and her husband made my heart soar. There’s a really deep love between the two of them, and it made me that much more confident that they can win America’s hearts and destroy Cheeto Führer (and the whole GOP to boot)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #1412 on: October 01, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »

I’ve predicted Warren for the nomination for the last year. I am unbiased as it comes to the dems race. But I think Warren beats Trump - or at least she has a much better chance than Biden ever would.

Warren, as wacked out as she may be, her campaign actually has a coherent message. Biden does not have this, nor will he have it.

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1413 on: October 01, 2019, 08:05:46 PM »

In 2008 the electorate was 55/43 black/white. In '16 it was 61/35 and turnout was alot lower. I feel like we'll see record turnout next year and the electorate will more like '08 with no competitive R primary. So I wouldn't discount white voters and they are more likely to turnout.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1414 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »

As with Barack Obama in 2008, it looks like black voters are defecting from the front-runner (in this case Joe Biden) towards someone who is starting to look like a winner:

Warren gets ‘dramatic shift’ in support from black voters
After struggling to win over African-Americans in the early stages of the primary season, polls show the Massachusetts senator is gaining traction with a pivotal constituency.

And this is before the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary. 
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1415 on: October 02, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »

As with Barack Obama in 2008, it looks like black voters are defecting from the front-runner (in this case Joe Biden) towards someone who is starting to look like a winner:

Warren gets ‘dramatic shift’ in support from black voters
After struggling to win over African-Americans in the early stages of the primary season, polls show the Massachusetts senator is gaining traction with a pivotal constituency.

And this is before the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary. 

She could really use the endorsement of some prominent black leaders.  Has Deval Patrick endorsed her yet?  He seems like he should be an easy get, being from her home state and all.
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #1416 on: October 02, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »

It's wild that no one is trying to replicate her photo lines.

I've genuinely lost track of how many people I've seen go all in on her just because of her approachability.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1417 on: October 02, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »

It's wild that no one is trying to replicate her photo lines.

I've genuinely lost track of how many people I've seen go all in on her just because of her approachability.

Pretty much anyone who wanted to could ask Jay Inslee a question and take a pic with him. Granted there were only like 50 people at the (free) event of his that I went to.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1418 on: October 02, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »

If the next generation has money to "travel all around the world", I don't want to hear a peep about student loan forgiveness under any circumstances. I am thankful that American government is set up to stonewall all of this.

The last thing people should be doing is selfish and dirty world travel over starting families and prudently saving.

I support student loan forgiveness for the following reasons:

1) Great economic boost when the next recession occurs.

2) Millennials were screwed due to the great recession and were talked into getting a degree no matter what and this was just before widespread current fears of automation took place.

2a) By no means do I share the fear of Luddites in 2019 but the job market will shift and many of these degrees that were earned are only worth the paper they are printed on. And it is impossible to know what degrees will be useful in the future job market.

3) A new generation of students will be graduating with college essentially free, unfair to the Millennials who did not have that opportunity.

4) To address the issue of fairness I would not let people who have had their loans forgiven get off scott free. Options could include withholding tax refunds (partial or all) to either help pay the bill for their forgiveness or provide some pay back to people who have paid off their loans.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1419 on: October 02, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »

I support student loan forgiveness for the following reasons:

1) Great economic boost when the next recession occurs.

2) Millennials were screwed due to the great recession and were talked into getting a degree no matter what and this was just before widespread current fears of automation took place.

2a) By no means do I share the fear of Luddites in 2019 but the job market will shift and many of these degrees that were earned are only worth the paper they are printed on. And it is impossible to know what degrees will be useful in the future job market.

3) A new generation of students will be graduating with college essentially free, unfair to the Millennials who did not have that opportunity.

4) To address the issue of fairness I would not let people who have had their loans forgiven get off scott free. Options could include withholding tax refunds (partial or all) to either help pay the bill for their forgiveness or provide some pay back to people who have paid off their loans.

1) You could use this to justify handing out free money to literally anyone.  Why not give that money to descendants of slaves instead of college graduates?  That would also be an economic boost.  Why not spend that money building infrastructure?  Why not give it to the department of education for community colleges and education subsidies so more people can get educated?  Why not cut middle-class taxes by $1.5T?  Aren't there a million better things we could do with $1.5T than an arbitrary handout to millennials?

2) This is pathetic.  Millennials only went to college because they were hoodwinked by the man?  Who are these people who talked them into getting a degree no matter what?  Society?  Society has been saying for the last decade to go to community college or trade school.  Didn't society tell them to get STEM degrees?  Millennials who paid $200,000 to major in useless niche liberal arts programs have only themselves to blame.  Is this supposed to be about the glorification of elite degrees in culture and media?  That's been going on for decades, but I don't see Gen-X-ers blaming their own bad decisions on society and demanding that society pay them back.

3) No they won't, free college isn't gonna happen.  And even if it did, isn't the main argument against student loan forgiveness that it's unfair?  I worked really hard to pay off my student loans.  I also went to a cheap university instead of the better one I was admitted to.  How is it fair to me (and I'm just a single case) to pay off the student loans of another kid who took my place at that prestigious university, and then spent the last decade partying instead of hustling to get scholarships and/or pay down the debt?

4) Oh here we go, you'll give me "some back pay."  How much do you think would be enough to satisfy me?  If I got into Yale, which would have cost $250,000, but instead took a $60,000 degree and paid it off in five years, what are you going to give me?  $60,000?  The kid who went to Yale in my place is going to get $250,000.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1420 on: October 02, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2019, 03:48:24 PM by GP270watch »

Free college is already happening in many states like NY and Tennessee within parts of their state run system and it's only going to be expanded to more states and more public systems.

All the Ivy's have huge endowments

Top 5 Largest University Endowments

Harvard University - $38.3 Billion.
University of Texas - $30.9 Billion.
Yale University - $29.4 Billion.
Stanford University - $26.5 Billion.
Princeton University - $25.9 Billion.

As part of the backlash against this they have been working towards any student admitted can attend without student loans, so most families that earn under $65,000 pay no tuition or fees, most who make under $125,000 pay reduced tuition. Even the most expensive and prestigious schools are moving towards a free college model for poor, working class, and middle class students.

jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1421 on: October 02, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »

I think it's important to note with student loan debt forgiveness that Elizabeth isn't proposing completely eliminating all debt.
Based on her calculations, the more you make, the less that's forgiven (because you can afford to pay), and after a certain income, you get no relief (which is fair).

More people than you may know have over 100K in student loan debt. Justify why you think people shouldn't ever take on that debt without knowing how to pay it back, but in today's economy, across all 50 states, people just don't want to hire people without a college degree, and folks are going to do what it takes to get a foot in the door, even destroying their chance of ever being debt free.

That's just not right.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1422 on: October 02, 2019, 03:57:35 PM »

Warren's now within 2% of Biden in the RCP tracking polls. At this rate she'll probably surpass him within the week.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1423 on: October 02, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »

Warren campaign rocked by sex scandal!

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1424 on: October 02, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »

Is that "decorated USMC combat veteran" Robert Mueller?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies