Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 01:52:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361615 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2200 on: June 05, 2020, 07:02:28 PM »

Huh - i had no idea. This gives a lot more credibility to the argument that the far-left is overblowing Kamala's alleged "bad" past regarding criminal justice

This guy's credibility almost certainly has gone up, I can imagine that this can help Harris, at least somewhat.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2201 on: June 05, 2020, 07:43:26 PM »

3) I’d say Harris dropping out before Iowa shows that Democratic voters don’t want her as President. Demings is a complete unknown, which no, isn’t a good thing. We don’t have the time to define a VP candidate. Of the 2 I’d pick Harris because she already has an identity in national politics, albeit a polarizing one.
Her dropping out because the white donor class decided to go with Pete means the average voter doesn't want her as President? Oh ok...

Her poll numbers were also garbage and she collapsed she went from polling in the midteens in the summer to polling at 3% in Iowa by the time she left the race, here numbers in Nevada were also 3%, here numbers in South Carolina weren't much better at 4%, and in New Hampshire, she only was bringing in 3.5%.

For someone who was supposed to be a top-flight candidate for the nomination she faded, and she faded fast. Probably one of the more disappointing campaigns of the 2020 cycle much like Beto.

Hell by the time she dropped out she was polling in 5th place in her own home state.
Joe Biden had dwindled down to the low teens before black people saved him in SC. Kamala was a terrible fit for the vote suppressing caucuses in IA PERIOD. Like look how fast Pete and Amy flamed out when Black people started voting. IA is NOT representative of what Dems want. Kamala was f-cked by a primary system set up to benefit candidates with white bases. She probably still would have lost the primary to Biden but wouldn’t have been forced out before people started voting.

Kamala had the largest field team in SC and most extensive volunteer database. That’s why Tom Steyer stole her SC data with his fraudulent ass.

She wasn’t polling that well in SC or CA either... Iowa and New Hampshire are sh!tyy states to vote first in the primary, but let’s stop pretending it was the calendar and not her own inept campaign that did her in.

And let’s not forget that she was the candidate of the ”white donor base” first. Her base wasn’t minority voters (though they did give her a look in the beginning after her rally in Oakland), it was affluent white liberals. If she had run as well as Pete then maybe that “white donor base” wouldn’t have abandoned her for him.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2202 on: June 05, 2020, 08:03:10 PM »

3) I’d say Harris dropping out before Iowa shows that Democratic voters don’t want her as President. Demings is a complete unknown, which no, isn’t a good thing. We don’t have the time to define a VP candidate. Of the 2 I’d pick Harris because she already has an identity in national politics, albeit a polarizing one.
Her dropping out because the white donor class decided to go with Pete means the average voter doesn't want her as President? Oh ok...

Her poll numbers were also garbage and she collapsed she went from polling in the midteens in the summer to polling at 3% in Iowa by the time she left the race, here numbers in Nevada were also 3%, here numbers in South Carolina weren't much better at 4%, and in New Hampshire, she only was bringing in 3.5%.

For someone who was supposed to be a top-flight candidate for the nomination she faded, and she faded fast. Probably one of the more disappointing campaigns of the 2020 cycle much like Beto.

Hell by the time she dropped out she was polling in 5th place in her own home state.
Joe Biden had dwindled down to the low teens before black people saved him in SC. Kamala was a terrible fit for the vote suppressing caucuses in IA PERIOD. Like look how fast Pete and Amy flamed out when Black people started voting. IA is NOT representative of what Dems want. Kamala was f-cked by a primary system set up to benefit candidates with white bases. She probably still would have lost the primary to Biden but wouldn’t have been forced out before people started voting.

Kamala had the largest field team in SC and most extensive volunteer database. That’s why Tom Steyer stole her SC data with his fraudulent ass.

She wasn’t polling that well in SC or CA either... Iowa and New Hampshire are sh!tyy states to vote first in the primary, but let’s stop pretending it was the calendar and not her own inept campaign that did her in.

And let’s not forget that she was the candidate of the ”white donor base” first. Her base wasn’t minority voters (though they did give her a look in the beginning after her rally in Oakland), it was affluent white liberals. If she had run as well as Pete then maybe that “white donor base” wouldn’t have abandoned her for him.

The problem for Harris in the primary was that the 'white donor base" was split between too many candidates, and most of that base liked Harris a lot but was scared, after 2016, to vote for her. Same with a lot of the black vote as well. Harris was also trying to jockey between the progressive and moderate sides and people were "picking" lanes and it was hard for Harris since she's a mix of both. This is not to say that her campaign didn't have flaws - but there is a lot of clear reasons why she couldn't break thru that were out of her control.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2203 on: June 05, 2020, 08:19:06 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 08:23:14 PM by TiltsAreUnderrated »

The problem for Harris in the primary was that the 'white donor base" was split between too many candidates, and most of that base liked Harris a lot but was scared, after 2016, to vote for her. Same with a lot of the black vote as well. Harris was also trying to jockey between the progressive and moderate sides and people were "picking" lanes and it was hard for Harris since she's a mix of both. This is not to say that her campaign didn't have flaws - but there is a lot of clear reasons why she couldn't break thru that were out of her control.

I hear this a fair bit, but you'd expect that to show up in her favourability ratings if not VI polls; by the end of her campaign, she was trailing Booker, Buttigieg, Biden, Warren and Sanders on these. Even if you argue that was just a function of significantly higher name recognition for all of these in September-November 2019 (debatable), you have to consider that by the end of her own campaign, Klobuchar had a higher favourability than Harris did by the end of hers, and that other Dems might well have reached her baseline had they managed the initial breakout as Harris (to her credit) did. FWIW I think Klobuchar would be a significantly worse VP pick than Harris, but I'm just not sure Harris' hype died because people were too scared to vote for her (but not Warren who was even more risky according to conventional wisdom, and to whom many of Harris' early backers switched).
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2204 on: June 05, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »

I’m warming up to Keisha....... we’ll see

Meh

What does she bring to the ticket that Val Damings or Harris doesn't?

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.

...and that's exactly the problem

Trump will say that she is weak on crime and juxtapose her with looters and arsonists.

On the other hand, Trump would be hard-pressed to say that a former chief of police or a former prosecutor is weak on crime.

What you called a "baggage" is actually an asset.

It's the opposite.

Trump will be trumpy no matter what.

Biden needs to worry more about turnout.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2205 on: June 05, 2020, 08:37:20 PM »

I hear this a fair bit, but you'd expect that to show up in her favourability ratings if not VI polls; by the end of her campaign, she was trailing Booker, Buttigieg, Biden, Warren and Sanders on these. Even if you argue that was just a function of significantly higher name recognition for all of these in September-November 2019 (debatable), you have to consider that by the end of her own campaign, Klobuchar had a higher favourability than Harris did by the end of hers, and that other Dems might well have reached her baseline had they managed the initial breakout as Harris (to her credit) did. FWIW I think Klobuchar would be a significantly worse VP pick than Harris, but I'm just not sure Harris' hype died because people were too scared to vote for her (but not Warren who was even more risky according to conventional wisdom, and to whom many of Harris' early backers switched).

I have not seen a comparison of approval ratings but in terms of the regular polling Harris never trailed Booker prior to her dropping out:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/sc/south_carolina_democratic_presidential_primary-6824.html
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2206 on: June 05, 2020, 08:37:58 PM »

IIRC, Harris was regularly at the top of those weekly Morning Consult favorability polls, at or about where Warren was, below Biden/Sanders, but definitely above Klobuchar, and even above Pete many times too.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2207 on: June 05, 2020, 08:39:47 PM »

I have not seen a comparison of approval ratings but in terms of the regular polling Harris never trailed Booker prior to her dropping out:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/sc/south_carolina_democratic_presidential_primary-6824.html

Yes, she did poll ahead of him in VI. His candidacy was badly suited to the moment although primary voters seemed to still think highly of him.

Favourability ratings can be found here. The data is not conclusive, but is perhaps indicative of Booker being a less (internally) controversial, well-known and well-liked figure.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2208 on: June 05, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »

Yep - MC in Late Nov:

Sanders 75/19% for +56%
Biden 68/23% for +45%
Warren 63/19% for +44%
Buttigieg 49/14% for +35%
Harris 53/21% for +32%
Booker 48/16% for +32%
Yang 43/15% for +28%
Klobuchar 36/18% for +18%

Harris was always way above Klobuchar and usually around Pete/Booker.  Warren had the help of better name recognition.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2209 on: June 05, 2020, 08:59:42 PM »

Yep - MC in Late Nov:

Sanders 75/19% for +56%
Biden 68/23% for +45%
Warren 63/19% for +44%
Harris 53/21% for +32%
Booker 48/16% for +32%
Yang 43/15% for +28%

Harris was always way above Klobuchar and usually around Pete/Booker.  Warren had the help of better name recognition.
That is only one pollster. Looking at a list from late October to early December:

Oct 28 - Nov 3 (MC) - Sanders 56, Biden 54, Warren 50, Harris 36, Buttigieg 33, Booker 32
Oct 30 - Nov 3 (Monmouth) - Warren 70, Biden 57, Sanders 47, Buttigieg/Harris 33
Oct 31 - Nov 3 (Change Research) - Warren 63, Sanders 48, Biden 42, Buttigieg 46, Harris 35
Nov 3 - 5 (YouGov) - Warren 64, Sanders 50, Biden 42, Buttigieg 39, Booker 37, Harris 36
Nov 4 - 10 (MC) - Sanders 56, Biden 54, Warren 50, Harris 36, Buttigieg 32, Booker 16
Nov 10 - 12 (YouGov) - Warren 58, Sanders 52, Booker 44, Harris 41, Buttigieg 38, Biden 37
Nov 11-17 (MC) - Sanders 57, Biden 52, Warren 48, Buttigieg 34, Booker 31, Harris 29
Nov 14-18 (Ipsos) - Biden 48, Warren 46, Sanders 43, Buttigieg 34, Booker/Harris 25
Nov 17-19 (YouGov) - Warren 59, Biden 50, Sanders 45, Buttigieg 46, Booker 39, Harris 37
Nov 20-21 (Ipsos) - Warren 49, Biden 45, Sanders 44, Buttigieg 37, Booker/Harris 26
Nov 21-24 (MC) - Sanders 56, Biden 45, Warren 44, Buttigieg 35, Booker/Harris 32
Nov 24-26 (YouGov) - Warren 52, Sanders 51, Biden/Booker 46, Buttigieg 38, Harris 37
Nov 25 - Dec 1 (MC) - Sanders 54, Biden 50, Warren 42, Buttigieg 34, Booker/Harris 28
Dec 1 - 3 (YouGov) - Warren 53, Sanders 48, Biden/Booker 43, Buttigieg/Harris 37

Where Yang was included, she was more often than not ahead of him, but not always. Booker's numbers rose towards the end of his campaign, as did Klobuchar's (they eventually surpassed Harris' final numbers). This doesn't mean Harris would be a worse pick than any of these or that they're bound to be more popular than Harris in the constituencies where they need to be, but I think it suggests that the constituency of Harris fans too scared to opt for her was not, if sizeable, unique within the field.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2210 on: June 06, 2020, 12:19:07 AM »

Think some of the white prospective VPs are now being underrated? Biden needs to make a decision that is bigger than from a week of protests.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2211 on: June 06, 2020, 12:22:08 AM »

Yep - MC in Late Nov:

Sanders 75/19% for +56%
Biden 68/23% for +45%
Warren 63/19% for +44%
Harris 53/21% for +32%
Booker 48/16% for +32%
Yang 43/15% for +28%

Harris was always way above Klobuchar and usually around Pete/Booker.  Warren had the help of better name recognition.

Warren had higher approvals and lower disapprovals.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2212 on: June 06, 2020, 10:35:34 AM »

Think some of the white prospective VPs are now being underrated? Biden needs to make a decision that is bigger than from a week of protests.

This issue isn't just gonna go away next week.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2213 on: June 06, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »

Of course not, but it's going to be one of many issues next January. In the long run, economic stimulus and healthcare will matter more.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #2214 on: June 06, 2020, 11:30:30 AM »

Of course not, but it's going to be one of many issues next January. In the long run, economic stimulus and healthcare will matter more.
I get what you're saying - hopefully by next month we'll get a better picture of where the national environment is. Biden certainly shouldn't rush this based on emotions and pick someone in the next few weeks as an attempt to satisfy protests.
BlueGrassKentuckian
Rookie

« Reply #2215 on: June 06, 2020, 02:04:30 PM »

I think mid July should be a good time for an announcement. I'm sure he will need some momentum at some point.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2216 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »

Val Demings was Ellen's show yesterday. She didn't directly say yes, but hinted she'd be open to serve as vice president. I think all three black women, Kamala, Demings and Keisha Lance Bottoms would be excellent.

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2217 on: June 06, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

Val Demings was Ellen's show yesterday. She didn't directly say yes, but hinted she'd be open to serve as vice president. I think all three black women, Kamala, Demings and Keisha Lance Bottoms would be excellent.

Them + Duckworth would all be exciting to me.

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2218 on: June 06, 2020, 04:40:52 PM »

She's VP material
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2219 on: June 07, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »

This seems important

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2220 on: June 07, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »

Val Demings was Ellen's show yesterday. She didn't directly say yes, but hinted she'd be open to serve as vice president.

Well, she was asked again by Alexi McCammond, and there was no hinting this time.  She just straight up said she would take the job if offered:

“If he asks me, I will say yes.”
blackentheborg
Rookie
« Reply #2221 on: June 07, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »

I'm still mad Barbra Lee wasn't on the shortlist
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2222 on: June 07, 2020, 10:56:11 AM »

Probably deemed too old unless Biden is planning a one-term presidency.
blackentheborg
Rookie
« Reply #2223 on: June 07, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »

Probably deemed too old unless Biden is planning a one-term presidency.
Yeah I still don't really get that angle. What's the point of voting in a President to serve a single term?
Also while, yes, Lee is old, she's pretty great, ticks all the boxes, too.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2224 on: June 07, 2020, 11:14:19 AM »

Of the candidates being seriously considered, who do you think is most like Biden himself in temperament and approach to politics?
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies