Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:55:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362912 times)
Panda Express

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2175 on: June 05, 2020, 05:38:41 AM »

Michelle Obama for VP or bust
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2176 on: June 05, 2020, 05:46:07 AM »

Harris's speech yesterday getting a lot of traction.

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #2177 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »

pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2178 on: June 05, 2020, 10:02:23 AM »

Lance Bottoms has the quality of *not* having a background in law enforcement, something Harris & Demings don’t. Like it or not, it matters if the base of the party turns out to vote. Law and order voters are unlikely to vote for the Democrat anyway, so why go out of your way to appeal to them?

Looting and arson make white voters very nervous.

Law enforcement background would reassure nervous white voters. Most of them are not going to come out and directly and said that that is what they want, but it works subconsciously.

If she can prove she’s got the policy chops to do the job, KLB is by far and away a more palatable choice for young voters, particularly the young African Americans leading the protests across the nation.

It would be a tough case to make that a black cop or a black prosecutor is racist toward blacks.

Also, the people who go around yelling "abolish the police" have no clue what they really want

If the police are abolished, another authority -- probably the military -- is going to have to enforce the laws.

Duckworth and Warren would both be fine choices, least of all because they’re less likely to run in 2024. Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings.

And how do you know that "Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings"?
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2179 on: June 05, 2020, 10:17:00 AM »

Harris declined to prosecute and therefore gave Safeharbor to The cops that killed Mario woods and Alan Blueford. If y’all don’t think that’s gonna be Weaponized by Russia and others to depress African-American turn out, I would like some of whatever your smoking
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2180 on: June 05, 2020, 10:19:33 AM »

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.
Huh
Biden should pick Steve Cohen because Memphis is a major cargo airport.
Also Hartsfield-Jackson isn't in Atlanta.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2181 on: June 05, 2020, 10:26:52 AM »

Harris declined to prosecute and therefore gave Safeharbor to The cops that killed Mario woods and Alan Blueford. If y’all don’t think that’s gonna be Weaponized by Russia and others to depress African-American turn out, I would like some of whatever your smoking
I want whatever you're smoking because what are you talking about? Also, literally NO ONE CARES lol.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2182 on: June 05, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America, she's shown tremendous leadership in the last few months, she's an early Biden supporter from Last Summer, she has no baggage from a past in prosecution, she's been extremely tough on her Police Department and shown she'll discipline when necessary and from at Battleground State. I like Harris & Demings too, any of those 3 I support along with Warren & Duckworth. I would say those are the Top 3 right now Harris, KLB, Demings, Warren & Duckworth. Those 5 are all extremely good choices.
Huh
Parts of Hartfield-Jackson is within the city limits of Atlanta. Also, the airport serves Metro Atlanta.

I'm not saying KLB should be picked because of this though lol.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2183 on: June 05, 2020, 11:32:49 AM »

She's Mayor of Atlanta which is the biggest Airport Hub in America

Air hub theory returns!!!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2184 on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:35 AM »

Huh
Parts of Hartfield-Jackson is within the city limits of Atlanta. Also, the airport serves Metro Atlanta.

There's an exclave of the city that allows Delta's headquarters to have an Atlanta address, yes, but the airport proper is not meaningfully so — if you land on the northernmost runway you will briefly pass through Atlanta, but you will both touchdown and come to a stop outside of city limits.

More broadly, I'm not convinced that existing within a large metropolitan area means KLB is any more qualified to be president. She does have to work with other metropolitan leaders and the state government, which could be good preparation for a federal bureaucracy, but the same could be said about the mayor of Sandy Springs or Roswell, and nobody's trying to get them to be VP.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2185 on: June 05, 2020, 11:51:13 AM »

Huh

There's an exclave of the city that allows Delta's headquarters to have an Atlanta address, yes, but the airport proper is not meaningfully so — if you land on the northernmost runway you will briefly pass through Atlanta, but you will both touchdown and come to a stop outside of city limits.

More broadly, I'm not convinced that existing within a large metropolitan area means KLB is any more qualified to be president. She does have to work with other metropolitan leaders and the state government, which could be good preparation for a federal bureaucracy, but the same could be said about the mayor of Sandy Springs or Roswell, and nobody's trying to get them to be VP.
Did you not read the last sentence I typed?

Anyways, who do you think should be VP?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2186 on: June 05, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »

Did you not read the last sentence I typed?
That was more directed at the people who are pushing KLB on the basis of her experience/saying the size of the city proper doesn't matter.

Anyways, who do you think should be VP?
I'm a disaffected leftist who would only vote for Biden if he picked Barbara Lee — that said, Demings or Harris makes the most sense to me.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2187 on: June 05, 2020, 12:17:57 PM »

Lance Bottoms has the quality of *not* having a background in law enforcement, something Harris & Demings don’t. Like it or not, it matters if the base of the party turns out to vote. Law and order voters are unlikely to vote for the Democrat anyway, so why go out of your way to appeal to them?

Law enforcement background would reassure nervous white voters. Most of them are not going to come out and directly and said that that is what they want, but it works subconsciously.

If she can prove she’s got the policy chops to do the job, KLB is by far and away a more palatable choice for young voters, particularly the young African Americans leading the protests across the nation.

It would be a tough case to make that a black cop or a black prosecutor is racist toward blacks.

Also, the people who go around yelling "abolish the police" have no clue what they really want

If the police are abolished, another authority -- probably the military -- is going to have to enforce the laws.

Duckworth and Warren would both be fine choices, least of all because they’re less likely to run in 2024. Nobody wants President Harris or President Demings.

1) Putting a black cop on the ticket isn’t gonna reassure white voters who are more worried about looting than the corruption and unprovoked murder of black people by said police. Those voters are the same ones Hillary chased in 2016.
2) Nobody’s saying Harris/Demings are racist, nor is anyone saying abolish the police. We’re saying these institutions need structural reform. Demings didn’t do that in Orlando as Chief, and Kamala has a mixed record at best of doing so in Sacramento as AG.
3) I’d say Harris dropping out before Iowa shows that Democratic voters don’t want her as President. Demings is a complete unknown, which no, isn’t a good thing. We don’t have the time to define a VP candidate. Of the 2 I’d pick Harris because she already has an identity in national politics, albeit a polarizing one.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2188 on: June 05, 2020, 12:41:58 PM »

3) I’d say Harris dropping out before Iowa shows that Democratic voters don’t want her as President. Demings is a complete unknown, which no, isn’t a good thing. We don’t have the time to define a VP candidate. Of the 2 I’d pick Harris because she already has an identity in national politics, albeit a polarizing one.
Her dropping out because the white donor class decided to go with Pete means the average voter doesn't want her as President? Oh ok...
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2189 on: June 05, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2020, 12:59:00 PM by pppolitics »

1) Putting a black cop on the ticket isn’t gonna reassure white voters who are more worried about looting than the corruption and unprovoked murder of black people by said police. Those voters are the same ones Hillary chased in 2016.
2) Nobody’s saying Harris/Demings are racist, nor is anyone saying abolish the police. We’re saying these institutions need structural reform. Demings didn’t do that in Orlando as Chief, and Kamala has a mixed record at best of doing so in Sacramento as AG.
1.) Your argument is a false dilemma fallacy. It's not mutually exclusive. Being concerned about looting and arson doesn't mean being unconcerned about systematic racism in the police force.

2.) Reform takes time. Val Demings disbanded the city's drug enforcement unit targeting black neighborhoods. You clearly don't know enough.

3.) Being unknown can be an asset. She has a lot of room to define herself.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2190 on: June 05, 2020, 12:49:53 PM »

Her dropping out because the white donor class decided to go with Pete means the average voter doesn't want her as President? Oh ok...

Her poll numbers were also garbage and she collapsed she went from polling in the midteens in the summer to polling at 3% in Iowa by the time she left the race, here numbers in Nevada were also 3%, here numbers in South Carolina weren't much better at 4%, and in New Hampshire, she only was bringing in 3.5%.

For someone who was supposed to be a top-flight candidate for the nomination she faded, and she faded fast. Probably one of the more disappointing campaigns of the 2020 cycle much like Beto.

Hell by the time she dropped out she was polling in 5th place in her own home state.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2191 on: June 05, 2020, 12:52:02 PM »

I'm sorry, but that is a terrible argument.  How do you think Harris would have fared if South Carolina, or some other diverse state was the first state to hold a primary?  Ignoring the fact that the primary calendar is biased in favor of candidates with appeal from white voters and against candidates with appeal from non-white voters (who happen to be the base of the Democratic party) is foolish.

Now, if we were talking about the Republican party, I think you can deduce a lot more from Iowa/New Hampshire polls/votes, because those states more closely remember the party as a whole.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #2192 on: June 05, 2020, 12:58:10 PM »

Biden got just under 1% in the 2008 Iowa Caucus and then dropped out.  He didn't take it as a sign no one ever wanted him as president (or vice president).

Harris could have stuck around to get 1% in Iowa if she really wanted to, lol.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2193 on: June 05, 2020, 01:00:52 PM »

I'm sorry, but that is a terrible argument.  How do you think Harris would have fared if South Carolina, or some other diverse state was the first state to hold a primary?  Ignoring the fact that the primary calendar is biased in favor of candidates with appeal from white voters and against candidates with appeal from non-white voters (who happen to be the base of the Democratic party) is foolish.

Now, if we were talking about the Republican party, I think you can deduce a lot more from Iowa/New Hampshire polls/votes, because those states more closely remember the party as a whole.

Biden got just under 1% in the 2008 Iowa Caucus and then dropped out.  He didn't take it as a sign no one ever wanted him as president (or vice president).

Both of you said exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2194 on: June 05, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »

Her poll numbers were also garbage and she collapsed she went from polling in the midteens in the summer to polling at 3% in Iowa by the time she left the race, here numbers in Nevada were also 3%, here numbers in South Carolina weren't much better at 4%, and in New Hampshire, she only was bringing in 3.5%.

For someone who was supposed to be a top-flight candidate for the nomination she faded, and she faded fast. Probably one of the more disappointing campaigns of the 2020 cycle much like Beto.

Hell by the time she dropped out she was polling in 5th place in her own home state.
Joe Biden had dwindled down to the low teens before black people saved him in SC. Kamala was a terrible fit for the vote suppressing caucuses in IA PERIOD. Like look how fast Pete and Amy flamed out when Black people started voting. IA is NOT representative of what Dems want. Kamala was f-cked by a primary system set up to benefit candidates with white bases. She probably still would have lost the primary to Biden but wouldn’t have been forced out before people started voting.

Kamala had the largest field team in SC and most extensive volunteer database. That’s why Tom Steyer stole her SC data with his fraudulent ass.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2195 on: June 05, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »

Biden got just under 1% in the 2008 Iowa Caucus and then dropped out.  He didn't take it as a sign no one ever wanted him as president (or vice president).

Luckily for Harris, she'll get like 90% of the Iowan vote in 2024, after her only opponent, AOC, calls for the abolition of police and prisons.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2196 on: June 05, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »

Luckily for Harris, she'll get like 90% of the Iowan vote in 2024, after her only opponent, AOC, calls for the abolition of police and prisons.
Oh God you were describing my own personal hell. 90%? I honestly hope we have another open field in 2024. The perception that Hillary was a quasi-incumbent was not good for us. And I say that is possibly her biggest fan
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2197 on: June 05, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »

Oh God you were describing my own personal hell. 90%? I honestly hope we have another open field in 2024. The perception that Hillary was a quasi-incumbent was not good for us. And I say that is possibly her biggest fan

I think it'll be fine since Harris would be considered a step-above Hillary in terms of incumbentness since (in this scenario) she's the VEEP.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2198 on: June 05, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »

I promise this will be my last post about the specifically but Harris DID refuse to investigate the shootings of Mario woods and Alan Blueford. So why is Amy disqualified but she isn’t? For the record I think they both should be disqualified.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2199 on: June 05, 2020, 07:01:18 PM »

Huh - i had no idea. This gives a lot more credibility to the argument that the far-left is overblowing Kamala's alleged "bad" past regarding criminal justice

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies