2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 09:32:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42
Author Topic: 2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose  (Read 74152 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: December 21, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »

I hope Gallego runs just so it nullifies muh female patriot fighter pilot schtick from McSally. Half of the crap she tried to pull against Sinema won't cut it against an ex Marine.

I think thats a big leg up that Gallego has over Woods(besides the more obvious ones). Him being a veteran both adds to his background, helps him appeal to voters, and disables the use of McSally's bio and attacks(one of her principle attacks was that she fought while Sinema protested)
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #301 on: December 22, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »

Scroll back, and see that just a few days ago I was down for Woods. But the more I learn (and this is from a week's worth of internet gossip), the less I like. He won't win a D primary, and would not do any better than Gallego (if not worse) in the general. Once again, I think that some of you are moderate extremists who will support him now matter what, but making fun of rape victims really should be a line y'all don't cross (isn't that the whole reason that trump is esp. reprehensible?)
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2018, 03:02:54 AM »

Yeah that's pretty terrible. Don't know if you win a D primary with that.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #303 on: December 24, 2018, 12:56:09 PM »

“But Grant Woods worked for a popular senator of the opposite party and gave a good speech once!”
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #304 on: December 24, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »

And his odds of winning the Democratic primary just dropped precipitously.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #305 on: December 24, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »

And his odds of winning the Democratic primary just dropped precipitously.
It’s hard to drop precipitously from “zero.”
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #306 on: December 25, 2018, 04:45:04 AM »

Anyone who ever thought Grant Woods was a good choice for Democrats is an utter clown who deserves no say in American politics ever again.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #307 on: December 25, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »

Mark Kelly might run and is laying the groundwork for a potential campaign. Field might clear if he does. Woods is running, Gallego is leaning yes and Stanton exploring.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #308 on: December 25, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »

I’m not militantly anti-moderate, but nominating Woods is going too far. Anyone who ran Jan Brewer’s campaign should not be our nominee.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #309 on: December 25, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »

I’m not militantly anti-moderate, but nominating Woods is going too far. Anyone who ran Jan Brewer’s campaign should not be our nominee.
HAHA holy shit. I didn’t even know that.

Backing the Green if Woods wins the nomination (he won’t, he will finish last behind everyone listed in RogueBeaver’s post).
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #310 on: December 25, 2018, 11:28:44 PM »

HAHA holy shit. I didn’t even know that.

Backing the Green if Woods wins the nomination (he won’t, he will finish last behind everyone listed in RogueBeaver’s post).

I'm with you. I usually abhor third party candidates but Woods is a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the Democratic space on the ballot. Fingers crossed for Gallego, although I could tolerate Stanton.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2018, 01:26:55 AM »

Why are most people here so fixated upon Gallego?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2018, 03:11:58 AM »

He's ex-military, young, and Latino.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »

He's easily the most progressive candidate on the Dems' bench and, if you ask me, one of the few palatable ones, period. I couldn't support Woods, nor am I too fond of Kelly (that whole clan has some moderate hero tendencies). Stanton and Friese are fine people but both of them are less experienced and less progressive than Gallego.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2018, 01:41:23 PM »

For Progressives, he’s the obvious choice, but he has the greatest profile for the general electorate. He’s a veteran, which is rather good experience for a politician to have, especially when facing McSally. He’s also rather young, and Latino, and an excellent speaker. He’s got charisma for days.

Woods has none of these strengths and multiple weaknesses, including being old, having a problematic history, recently switching parties, etc.

Stanton, I would say, is the second strongest Dem, for he has a strong base Maricopa county, which is essential for taking AZ.

Kelly has a strong personal story to run on, which can be incredibly useful, but I’m not sure how he would fare in other departments needed to win an election.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »

Woods is the person you run when you have absolutely no bench in a state but there's a host of democrats who could run. The reality that people forget is that some voters vote on ideological lines, and do so against moderates.

I'm not opposed to Woods because he's a republican- but rather because I don't think he's the most inspiring choice, and I don't think he'd stand up against the vested interests that the Democrats need to be fighting against.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »

Because we agree with him and he has a great story.

Why are centrists so fixated on Woods?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2018, 08:27:51 PM »

I understand why most of the posters here agree with Gallego. He is, in their eyes, the most viable option, and does represent the ever more progressive direction that the Democratic Party seems to be headed upon. At this rate, twenty years from now, to be a Democrat you will have to be staunchly pro-choice, in favor of universal healthcare and of a universal basic income, and staunchly pro-immigration, with no room for any sort of deviation or accommodation, or otherwise. And yes, the reverse seems to be coming true for the Republican Party as well. The ever widening gulf between the two parties continues to alarm me.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »

I understand why most of the posters here agree with Gallego. He is, in their eyes, the most viable option, and does represent the ever more progressive direction that the Democratic Party seems to be headed upon. At this rate, twenty years from now, to be a Democrat you will have to be staunchly pro-choice, in favor of universal healthcare and of a universal basic income, and staunchly pro-immigration, with no room for any sort of deviation or accommodation, or otherwise. And yes, the reverse seems to be coming true for the Republican Party as well. The ever widening gulf between the two parties continues to alarm me.

I think people are pointing that ideology hardly matters these days due to the polarization between parties. Even if Sinema was replaced with Gallego he may have lost some GOP votes but gained a lot of green votes.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: December 26, 2018, 10:46:00 PM »

Yeah, the combined Green+Sinema vote exceeded 50% (even with Green withdrawing and backing Sinema). McSally just didn't make the case to Arizonans, and I doubt her being anointed this seat after being rejected by the people are going to endear her to those whose votes she did not earn in 2018, even if they may not be as progressive as Gallego.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #320 on: December 26, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »

Yeah, the combined Green+Sinema vote exceeded 50% (even with Green withdrawing and backing Sinema). McSally just didn't make the case to Arizonans, and I doubt her being anointed this seat after being rejected by the people are going to endear her to those whose votes she did not earn in 2018, even if they may not be as progressive as Gallego.

McSally has a fight (or two) ahead of her. I can't really picture her in the Senate come 2023. I do believe this will be our second or third pickup in 2020.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2018, 10:24:44 PM »

Yeah, there’s no way Gallego is NOT in.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:02 PM »

It definitely seems like he's going to run. He seems like an A level recruit, in my opinion. A Veteran, young, Hispanic, and he has years of Congressional experience. The only negative when it comes to running statewide would be his solidly liberal record in the House. But, he could easily pull a Simena and become/present himself as more moderate in the run up to the election. The moderate pivot worked well for her in 2018, and I don't see how it wouldn't in 2020 with Trump's negative approval rating in the state at this time. The fact that team Trump intentionally avoided bringing him to Arizona in 2018, feeling his presence would be a net negative for McSally, does not bode well for the Senate race with Trump at the top of the ticket in 2020.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:59 PM »

It definitely seems like he's going to run. He seems like an A level recruit, in my opinion. A Veteran, young, Hispanic, and he has years of Congressional experience. The only negative when it comes to running statewide would be his solidly liberal record in the House. But, he could easily pull a Simena and become/present himself as more moderate in the run up to the election. The moderate pivot worked well for her in 2018, and I don't see how it wouldn't in 2020 with Trump's negative approval rating in the state at this time. The fact that team Trump intentionally avoided bringing him to Arizona in 2018, feeling his presence would be a net negative for McSally, does not bode well for the Senate race with Trump at the top of the ticket in 2020.

Sinema has been a moderate hero for the past 8 years and she resided in a obama clinton Maricopa district so she could build a good profile.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #324 on: January 01, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »

Great to hear that Gallego is likely to jump in. He's charismatic, a veteran, and Latino, an excellent triple combo when running against McSally. Of course, Atlas posters are gonna be pushed away by his more Progressive attitudes(even though there is no proof whatsoever that we need a Conservative Democrat for this race), but by most other parameters, Gallego is one of the top candidates we can field.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies