2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:10:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 42
Author Topic: 2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose  (Read 74056 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 12, 2019, 08:09:27 AM »

Haven't been following much about this race. Is this guy considered to be a top contender?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #401 on: February 12, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »

I would say Yes and No. Kelly is the husband of the famous Democratic Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, and is an astronaut. He has, potentially, a large appeal. Unfortunately, the guy isnt really known outside of being the husband to Giffords, and hasnt really made any positions on policy or politics. Basically, he has the potential to be the biggest letdown, or best candidate(From what Ive read, Im leaning towards letdown).

It does look like this will trigger a battle between Gallego and Kelly for the nom.
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #402 on: February 12, 2019, 08:26:21 AM »

I would say Yes and No. Kelly is the husband of the famous Democratic Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, and is an astronaut. He has, potentially, a large appeal. Unfortunately, the guy isnt really known outside of being the husband to Giffords, and hasnt really made any positions on policy or politics. Basically, he has the potential to be the biggest letdown, or best candidate(From what Ive read, Im leaning towards letdown).

It does look like this will trigger a battle between Gallego and Kelly for the nom.

Agreed except for the bolded, I'm leaning towards 'best candidate' for now. Always the chance he could flame out, but he's certainly not to be underestimated.
TheBeardedOne
United States
« Reply #403 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:14 AM »

I could see Greg Stanton getting in the race as well.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:11 AM »

I could see Greg Stanton getting in the race as well.

Stanton said he isnt seeking higher office earlier this year, and Woods dropped the idea entirely. It looks like this will be a battle between the two.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #405 on: February 12, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

Good intro video.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #406 on: February 12, 2019, 09:04:36 AM »

Kelly’s not unknown, both of the Kelly twins are quite famous outside politics. Actually, I’d heard of Mark Kelly before I ever even knew who Gabby Giffords was.

Anyway, endorsed!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #407 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »

Kelly’s not unknown, both of the Kelly twins are quite famous outside politics. Actually, I’d heard of Mark Kelly before I ever even knew who Gabby Giffords was.

Anyway, endorsed!

GO KELLY!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #408 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:41 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2019, 09:41:38 AM »

Go Kelly go, go go Kelly go. Go Kelly go, go go Kelly!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »

Yep, looks like this is shaping up to be a Gallego vs Kelly fight.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #411 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:19 AM »

...can't wait to see McSally ads about how Kelly is a bad astronaut who endangered the rest of the crew and caused NASA money
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2019, 10:32:52 AM »

I think Kelly will be a very strong candidate.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #413 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »

How do Kelly’s views differ from Gallego’s? Do we actually know where he falls ideologically?

I guess we do need a new Senate Astronaut lol.
History505
« Reply #414 on: February 12, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »

I think Kelly will be a very strong candidate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #415 on: February 12, 2019, 10:50:32 AM »

Yup. Good to see Grant Woods is out. The dude is uninspiring and, if even elected, would have been another Manchin Fake Dem.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:24 AM »

Endorsed!

Changed my signature
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #417 on: February 12, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Lean D --> Likely D

Mark Kelly is the best candidate imaginable for this race and likely the best recruit for either side of the cycle.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #418 on: February 12, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »

Mark Kelly is, possibly, the best candidate Democrats in Arizona could have hoped for. He is rather well known in the state and country already, will likely be able to fundraise easily and has a great life story. I don’t see Gallego beating him in the primary. My best bet, he beats McSally by ~5-7% and helps the Dem presidential candidate win the state.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #419 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »

Awesome! Glad to see there good recruitment from last cycle carry over to this cycle.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »

Mark Kelly is, possibly, the best candidate Democrats in Arizona could have hoped for. He is rather well known in the state and country already, will likely be able to fundraise easily and has a great life story. I don’t see Gallego beating him in the primary. My best bet, he beats McSally by ~5-7% and helps the Dem presidential candidate win the state.

Gallego might not even run.

He has a nice safe seat that he would have to give up and probably worse than 50% shot of winning the primary against Kelly.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »

Wow, the hype machine has already started for a man better known as the spouse of Giffords. The primary is in a year and a 1/2, and due to this, I cannot be confident in who will win the nomination, but Kelly is in no way guaranteed it, or the strongest possible candidate(seriously, it seems that if you like a candidate, they become the strongest candidate imaginable).
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2019, 11:23:30 AM »

Well I want to see what Gallego does, and I think I'll be ideologically closer to him, but Kelly's got a good launch it seems.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »

He has a nice safe seat that he would have to give up and probably worse than 50% shot of winning the primary against Kelly.

You are incredibly overconfident about a primary that will take place a 1 year and a 1/2 from now.
JMT

« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:35 AM »

While Gallego has certainly been making noise about running, I do think he will ultimately pass on the race for that reason. Gallego has a safe house seat, and would not be guaranteed to win either the primary or general election. I think now that Kelly is in, Gallego will not want to risk losing (I'm not saying that Gallego would definitely lose to Kelly, but there is a decent chance he would). Gallego is also very young, he can afford to wait to run statewide, or could stay in the House and gain seniority (I could see him rising high in House leadership).

Perhaps I'm biased, because I would support Kelly in the primary anyways. But, I do think Gallego will ultimately pass on running for Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies