Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 03:57:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 210733 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4000 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »

Remember back when some Republicans here thought McSally was the only one of the GOP primary trio who would defeat Sinema?

She certainly had the best chance of the three.  Sinema would have obliterated either of the others, but McSally came very close.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4001 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:21 PM »

Remember back when some Republicans here thought McSally was the only one of the GOP primary trio who would defeat Sinema?

yeah because Arpaaio would have won by energizing the base.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4002 on: November 11, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »

I think McSally may be aiming for an appointment.

That would make for some nice ads in 2020: "The voters rejected her once, but was picked by the political elite to fill another seat anyway. Who is she really representing?!"

M e h. No one really cares about that kind of inside baseball. It's particularly week when the election turns out undeniably close.

Frankly I don't see why other ambitious Arizona Republicans would accept that. They will say that she had her chance and lost, and that it's time for someone new. She will probably have to face a nasty primary.

0% chance Ward doesn't jump in.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4003 on: November 11, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »

TBF, she probably was the only one who could have made it close.

She certainly had the best chance of the three.  Sinema would have obliterated either of the others, but McSally came very close.

I agree. My statement was really referring to the ones who were 100% sure that McSaly would win.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4004 on: November 11, 2018, 08:12:27 PM »

Pinal posted, essentially no change in the Senate race, Gaynor is back in front by 259 votes.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4005 on: November 11, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »

Pinal posted, essentially no change in the Senate race, Gaynor is back in front by 259 votes.

All of Pinal?  Unless there really is heavily Republican stuff left in Maricopa, Hobbs is going to win with Pima (doesn't even matter for Sinema at this point).
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4006 on: November 11, 2018, 08:15:37 PM »

All of Pinal?  Unless there really is heavily Republican stuff left in Maricopa, Hobbs is going to win with Pima (doesn't even matter for Sinema at this point).

Not sure yet, Garrett Archer is posting an update here soon.
Thatkat04
« Reply #4007 on: November 11, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »

All of Pinal?  Unless there really is heavily Republican stuff left in Maricopa, Hobbs is going to win with Pima (doesn't even matter for Sinema at this point).

I think theres about 14,000 votes left in Pinal. But we havent had a single "bucket" from Pima today which has 36,000 votes left.

Edit: Scratch that, Pinal has 7,000 votes left.

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1061789579013812224
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4008 on: November 11, 2018, 08:16:29 PM »

That would make for some nice ads in 2020: "The voters rejected her once, but was picked by the political elite to fill another seat anyway. Who is she really representing?!"

M e h. No one really cares about that kind of inside baseball. It's particularly week when the election turns out undeniably close.

Frankly I don't see why other ambitious Arizona Republicans would accept that. They will say that she had her chance and lost, and that it's time for someone new. She will probably have to face a nasty primary.

0% chance Ward doesn't jump in.

There are going to be a lot of Senate primaries in Arizona over the next few years. I
2020: AZ-Special (Kyl)
2022: AZ (Kyl)
2024: AZ (Sinema/McSally)

Regardless of who comes out on top, there’s the possibility for a lot of turnover in the congressional delegation and statewide offices.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4009 on: November 11, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »

All of Pinal?  Unless there really is heavily Republican stuff left in Maricopa, Hobbs is going to win with Pima (doesn't even matter for Sinema at this point).

I think theres about 14,000 votes left in Pinal. But we havent had a single "bucket" from Pima today which has 36,000 votes left.

Pima isn't reporting again until Tuesday. Day off with the holiday tomorrow.
Thatkat04
« Reply #4010 on: November 11, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »

Pima isn't reporting again until Tuesday. Day off with the holiday tomorrow.

I knew that. Why did I forget? lawl.

I feel like we can call this once Maricopa dumps at 7, Pima should pad her lead before it a bit.

I dont think we're getting a Pima update tonight. I think they said their next update is tuesday.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4011 on: November 11, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »

I'm surprised no media outlet is gonna jump on calling this, not even CNN?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4012 on: November 11, 2018, 08:22:20 PM »

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4013 on: November 11, 2018, 08:35:15 PM »

Not a ton from McSally territory left:

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4014 on: November 11, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »

I really don't understand why outlets aren't calling this race yet.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4015 on: November 11, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »

They probably want to be careful and wait for any potential conservative precincts of Maricopa that have yet to report.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4016 on: November 11, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »

They're probably waiting until it's almost mathematically impossible for McSally to take the lead. While it's absurd to think that she'll win the remaining Maricopa vote by 25%, they'll probably wait until she'd need to win it by 60-80% before calling the race.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4017 on: November 11, 2018, 08:59:19 PM »

Meh. I mean, who else does the AZGOP really have? Ward? lol. Gosar? lol. Schweikert? lol. Lesko? Maybe, but her big underperformance in the special (and then the general to a lesser extent) doesn't exactly inspire confidence. McSally is still probably the best candidate in the lot.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4018 on: November 11, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »

Meh. I mean, who else does the AZGOP really have? Gosar? lol. Schweikert? lol. Lesko? Maybe, but her big underperformance in the special (and then the general to a lesser extent) doesn't exactly inspire confidence. McSally is still probably the best candidate in the lot.

Speaking of Gosar... anyone else love how he got savaged by that ad yet still way overperformed Martha Mcsally? There were a ton of Sinema-Gosar ads who saw that ad and were like "Yup! Still sticking w/ Gosar!"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4019 on: November 11, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »

Can we just take a second to briefly go over Steve Gaynor's campaign website issues page?

https://www.gaynorforsos.com/issues.aspx

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What exactly does it say about a candidate when most of the 'issues' they mention in their campaign are literally either just voter suppression measures or flat out rigging elections? Not to mention a Republican talking about "restoring confidence" in elections when they are the ones engaging in an endless assault on the integrity of our elections? They are the ones who scream voter fraud when they have no proof and no reason to believe it's happening. They are the ones screaming about "FINDING VOTES" right now when the state is simply trying to count ballots as it always does. This level of hypocrisy is on par with two-bit mobster protection rackets, where you should pay a fee less "something bad" might happen to your store.

There is a mile-wide gulf between calling for independent redistricting commissions and an end to partisan gerrymandering and what Gaynor is doing, which based on the AZGOP's view of redistricting, means dismantling their commission and returning power back to the legislature so they may gerrymander rig elections unfettered again.

It's one thing for Republicans to just avoid discussing gerrymandering and/or make up the occasional lie, as it's inconvenient to talk about it when your party relies on it so much, but a whole other thing to actively campaign on rigging elections. I feel like this is something out of the Jim Crow south.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4020 on: November 11, 2018, 09:05:00 PM »

Meh. I mean, who else does the AZGOP really have? Ward? lol. Gosar? lol. Schweikert? lol. Lesko? Maybe, but her big underperformance in the special (and then the general to a lesser extent) doesn't exactly inspire confidence. McSally is still probably the best candidate in the lot.

AG Mark Brnovich?
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4021 on: November 11, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2018, 11:57:36 PM by pppolitics »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4022 on: November 11, 2018, 09:32:10 PM »

Yeah I was basically talking about weak the AZ senate bench for the GOP will be in 2020.  Losing SOS just shuts down Ducey from running for senate and Mcsally probably can't win a primary despite having the best image of any congress person from Arizona. They need someoen with some name recognition otherwise Ward goes for it and wins the primary. This is probably more likely to Flip than maine 2020 although it is a bit early.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4023 on: November 11, 2018, 09:34:22 PM »

Bruce is slightly more scared than Rick Scott

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4024 on: November 11, 2018, 09:36:23 PM »

Bruce is slightly more scared than Rick Scott

Sad Polluiquin can't win a trump +10 most rural district in the country when most other republicans who lost were burb stomped.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies