Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:17:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1
« previous next »
Thread note

Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... 179
Author Topic: Election 2018 Open Thread - Part 1  (Read 210763 times)
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3975 on: November 11, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »

Dave Wasserman called it for Sinema

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3976 on: November 11, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »

The AP may take their time calling the Senate race now that they've screwed up the SOS race.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3977 on: November 11, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »

Very significant. Besides running elections, SoS is first in the gubernatorial line of succession. If Ducey decides to appoint himself to the other senate seat then Hobbs will become the new governor.

What if he appoints himself before Hobbs takes office? Will the current Republican SoS move up and stay until 2022?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3978 on: November 11, 2018, 07:14:23 PM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3979 on: November 11, 2018, 07:16:15 PM »

Very significant. Besides running elections, SoS is first in the gubernatorial line of succession. If Ducey decides to appoint himself to the other senate seat then Hobbs will become the new governor.

What if he appoints himself before Hobbs takes office? Will the current Republican SoS move up and stay until 2022?

Probably, although I think Ducey does not get along well at all with her and wouldn't do that.  Also, all but 1 of the Senate self-appointees have gone on to lose the seat.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3980 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:23 PM »

Seeing as it took AP five days to finally project CA-48 for Rouda, they won't project this race for Sinema until Christmas Day.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3981 on: November 11, 2018, 07:20:43 PM »

Probably, although I think Ducey does not get along well at all with her and wouldn't do that.  Also, all but 1 of the Senate self-appointees have gone on to lose the seat.

I don't think he could do that. If he does it before his current term expires then the elevated SoS will just finish the rest of his current term. When the day comes for the governor to be sworn in for the new term then the newly elected SoS will take the oath.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3982 on: November 11, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »

I don't think he could do that. If he does it before his current term expires then the elevated SoS will just finish the rest of his current term. When the day comes for the governor to be sworn in for the new term then the newly elected SoS will take the oath.

That makes sense. Tbh it happening like that did not seem right but I'd never even thought about it before so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Overall, very satisfied with the way things worked out in Arizona, all things considered. Didn't we almost flip the state House too?

No, because Reagan is leaving office in January. Not that he’d do something as politically suicidal as this, but in this hypothetical scenario. The reason Hobbs winning is a big deal is because it robs the NRSC of their top 2020 Arizona Senate recruit and it puts her in an excellent position to become governor (the Arizona curse) either by ascension or election in her own right in 2022

Frankly even without that added bonus of denying them a good recruit, I'd still be overjoyed. It's a sign of progress in a state we need but also one that hasn't been too kind to us in the past. Not to mention finally being in a position to address their horrid track record on administering elections.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3983 on: November 11, 2018, 07:25:05 PM »

I think McSally may be aiming for an appointment.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3984 on: November 11, 2018, 07:27:42 PM »

That would make for some nice ads in 2020: "The voters rejected her once, but was picked by the political elite to fill another seat anyway. Who is she really representing?!"
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3985 on: November 11, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »

Is Pinal county still posting today?    That'll most likely wipe out Hobbs' lead.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3986 on: November 11, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »

Is Pinal county still posting today?    That'll most likely wipe out Hobbs' lead.

Until Pima county drop and put her back in the lead
Webnicz
United States

« Reply #3987 on: November 11, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »

Gaynor would be such an awful SOS
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3988 on: November 11, 2018, 07:42:18 PM »

Good thing he lost then, huh.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3989 on: November 11, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »

That makes sense. Tbh it happening like that did not seem right but I'd never even thought about it before so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Overall, very satisfied with the way things worked out in Arizona, all things considered. Didn't we almost flip the state House too?

No, because Reagan is leaving office in January. Not that he’d do something as politically suicidal as this, but in this hypothetical scenario. The reason Hobbs winning is a big deal is because it robs the NRSC of their top 2020 Arizona Senate recruit and it puts her in an excellent position to become governor (the Arizona curse) either by ascension or election in her own right in 2022

Frankly even without that added bonus of denying them a good recruit, I'd still be overjoyed. It's a sign of progress in a state we need but also one that hasn't been too kind to us in the past. Not to mention finally being in a position to address their horrid track record on administering elections.

It's now 31R/29D.  The Senate looks like it stayed 17R/13D, although the 17th R barely leads in an uncalled race in Maricopa.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3990 on: November 11, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »

State House Right now is 31 - 29 Rep, and thats mostly locked in place now. AZ House uses MMD, but you get two votes, so right now there is only one district with both a D and a R. It's mostly set because the closest Dems are in District 6 and 20 - down by 1.5 and 2K votes respectively. The closest Rep pickup is in district 28 where they are down by 1.9K, so the 31-29 gap looks solid right now.

Dems right now gained 0 in state Sen, but a lot more close races there still out. 6, 17, 20, 21, and 28 are all close.  Dems need +2 to tie the chamber. Right now, 28 is the closest with the dem down by 700 votes, and probably going to flip considering dems won both 28 House seats and its in Maricopa.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3991 on: November 11, 2018, 07:48:22 PM »

yeah its easily caleld for Sinema but anyway whats the rating for 2020 now that it looks like Hobbs is in the lead?
I have to say Lean D coz the only person that can win both the PRIMARY and the GENERAL is Ducey but ducey can't leave coz SOS is lt gov too in Az. Kelli Ward comes in and its probably gonna go democrat even if Trump carries Arizona.

I strongly suspect kyl will resign and McSally will be appointed in his place. Considering the closeness of this race, two years of incumbency will make her a competitive candidate.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3992 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2018, 07:52:57 PM by pppolitics »

yeah its easily caleld for Sinema but anyway whats the rating for 2020 now that it looks like Hobbs is in the lead?
I have to say Lean D coz the only person that can win both the PRIMARY and the GENERAL is Ducey but ducey can't leave coz SOS is lt gov too in Az. Kelli Ward comes in and its probably gonna go democrat even if Trump carries Arizona.

I strongly suspect kyl will resign and McSally will be appointed in his place. Considering the closest of this race, two years of incumbency will make her a competitive candidate.

It would be fun to beat her a second time.

An appointed incumbent simply doesn't have a staying power of an elected incumbent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3993 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:14 PM »

I strongly suspect kyl will resign and McSally will be appointed in his place. Considering the closeness of this race, two years of incumbency will make her a competitive candidate.
Why would they appoint the republican statewide candidate with the worst performance?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3994 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:44 PM »

This sounds close to a declaration of victory-

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3995 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:29 PM »

thanks!

It would be fun to beat her a second time.

An appointed incumbent simply doesn't have a staying power of a elected incumbent.

I think a big part of the advantage comes from a politician actually building out a strong campaign that is capable of winning (including fundraising networks and general expertise), and leaving a mark in the minds of the voters. This is something people appointed without ever running lack completely. In this case, McSally would have all those attributes as she ran a campaign that came close-ish to winning.

Also, it's not always a big issue in the end. Iowa Gov. is an example of that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3996 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »

That would make for some nice ads in 2020: "The voters rejected her once, but was picked by the political elite to fill another seat anyway. Who is she really representing?!"

M e h. No one really cares about that kind of inside baseball. It's particularly week when the election turns out undeniably close.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3997 on: November 11, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »

Remember back when some Republicans here thought McSally was the only one of the GOP primary trio who would defeat Sinema?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3998 on: November 11, 2018, 07:59:45 PM »

M e h. No one really cares about that kind of inside baseball. It's particularly week when the election turns out undeniably close.

Frankly I don't see why other ambitious Arizona Republicans would accept that. They will say that she had her chance and lost, and that it's time for someone new. She will probably have to face a nasty primary.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3999 on: November 11, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »

Remember back when some Republicans here thought McSally was the only one of the GOP primary trio who would defeat Sinema?

TBF, she probably was the only one who could have made it close.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165 ... 179  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies