Post Random US Election County Maps Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 01:22:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Post Random US Election County Maps Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28
Author Topic: Post Random US Election County Maps Here  (Read 65586 times)
America needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2018, 12:48:55 PM »

The total number of McGovern and Nixon votes in the County that year was an odd number. There is no way it could have been tied.
McGovern won there using your swing method.
Metalhead123

« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2018, 01:07:16 PM »

The total number of McGovern and Nixon votes in the County that year was an odd number. There is no way it could have been tied.
McGovern won there using your swing method.
i was purely using the percentages given by the sight. But yes you are right. I got a little lazy there tbh lol
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #527 on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:23 AM »

Evan McMullin wins Utah

Donald Trump/Mike Pence 45.94% 298 EVs
Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine: 48.17% 227 EVs
Evan McMullin/Mindy Finn: 0.72% 6 EVs
Gary Johnson/Bill Weld: 3.27% 0 EVs
Jill Stein/Ajamu Baraka: 1.07% 0 EVs
Others: 0.84% 0 EVs

Methods: Here is my McMullin wins Utah map. I wanted him to win by about a percent (in this case, 0.98%). In this scenario, McMullin makes it on the ballot in Wyoming, Nevada, and Arizona in addition to the states that he was in in real life. I figure that adding him in other states isn’t worth the effort due to the small numbers of Mormons in other states. A while back, I found that the correlation of Mormons times the % of people with a college degree in the county tracked McMullin’s results pretty closely (r^2 equals about 0.78). I used that model times 1.6446715 to get the expected percent that McMullin received in a county in Nevada, Wyoming, and Arizona. For Idaho and Utah, I used an average of the model (Mormon * College) and the actual results and then multiplied by that 1.64 number to get the expected percentage by county. I picked this number (1.6446715) because it approximated the amount of votes that McMullin needed to gain in order to win Utah by about a percent.

Once I found how many votes I expected McMullin to get, I subtracted those from the other candidates (85% from Trump, 10% from Johnson, and 5% from Clinton). In the case of Nevada, which has a None of the Above option, I guesstimated 40% of those would’ve voted McMullin and prioritized using those votes for McMullin’s total. In Nevada, I subtracted the difference (modeled-40% of NotA) and then subtracted the result from Trump, Johnson, and Clinton in the proportions described earlier. For Wyoming, I used a similar method, but I assumed that 50% of the unlisted write-ins were for McMullin. [Side note: One of my bigger small regrets is that I didn’t fork out $100 or so to the Wyoming SoS right after the election for them to count the write-ins for McMullin. Oh well.] Arizona was cool in that they listed McMullin write-ins for all counties, so I took those out of the number of votes that I needed to take away from other candidates.

To my friends on Atlas, I apologize for the flipped colors. Blame Wikipedia. Speaking of which, is there a good county template to use? There’s some artifacts on the current map due to the way the colors changed slightly around the edges of the counties; these are especially noticeable on the counties that flipped.

Analysis: McMullin obviously does a lot better in Utah (35.05%) and Idaho (10.44%), where he manages to win some counties. I am actually kind of surprised that McMullin only won 4 counties in Utah. Granted, 3 of them are in the top 6 by population. I was slightly disappointed that he only won a single county in Idaho, but it’s better than nothing (he didn’t even win any precincts there in the real results).

Looking at Nevada, he got 2.06%, which wasn’t enough to do more than shift some Trump 70% counties down to the 60% range. Notably, McMullin got 12.85% in Lincoln County and 5.09% in White Pine County.

Wyoming doesn’t see that much of a change. The most notable change is that Johnson drops under 5%, coming in at 4.96%. McMullin’s 3.62% is concentrated in the counties with large Mormon populations (big surprise there). Only the most Mormon counties had any change (in this case, they all dropped from Trump 70% to Trump 60%). McMullin broke 5% in 5 counties and 10% in 3 of those counties.

Arizona also saw little real change. Only one county even changed percentage bins (Navajo County went from Trump 50% to Trump 40%). The biggest thing here is that the relatively narrow margin between Trump and Clinton shrinks from 3.50% to 2.40%. McMullin polled 2.04% in Arizona.

Overall, a whopping 7 counties flipped. Two from Trump to Clinton and five from Trump to McMullin.

Issues: My data was missing Mormon percentages for a few counties. I looked at surrounding counties and just kinda made a number that seemed consistent with neighboring counties. In Wayne County, UT, my model showed that Johnson would have received -5 votes, which just isn’t possible. I fudged the numbers and added in 3 votes each from Stein and Other. A few counties in Nevada had more votes from the 40% of NotA, so I went with the higher number, which resulted in McMullin getting about 36 extra votes than he would’ve from my base model (big whoop). I also lost a total of 7 votes due to rounding in Idaho that I didn’t really feel like dealing with finding.

It’s also comical how hard it is to get consistent numbers even on Wikipedia. I’m not sure that the numbers on their table add up to 100%. I also probably missed taking some votes off when I added them to the huge clunky national popular vote table and I may have screwed something up. Not sure and it’s just after midnight when I’m writing this after spending most of the evening on this. Some of the calculations for the nationwide popular vote may be slightly off because of those issues.

Data Sources: Slate's Mormon map
Unsure about college education for Utah and Idaho; I had that info a long time before and I can’t find where I got it from. The numbers are fairly close to the census bureau’s though.
https://www.census.gov/censusexplorer/censusexplorer.html
For election results, I used Wikipedia for Nevada, Arizona, and Utah because it was easy to copy/paste into excel, for Idaho and Wyoming I used their SoS websites, because Wiki doesn’t have it by county. I also used the AZ SoS for McMullin write ins. I used USElectionAtlas for the “other” votes in Arizona (non-McMullin write-ins). https://sos.idaho.gov/elect/results/2016/General/president_by_county.html
http://soswy.state.wy.us/Elections/Docs/2016/2016GeneralResults.aspx
http://apps.azsos.gov/election/2016/Info/ElectionInformation.htm
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »

Evan McMullin wins Utah

Donald Trump/Mike Pence 45.94% 298 EVs
Hillary Clinton/Tim Kaine: 48.17% 227 EVs
Evan McMullin/Mindy Finn: 0.72% 6 EVs
Gary Johnson/Bill Weld: 3.27% 0 EVs
Jill Stein/Ajamu Baraka: 1.07% 0 EVs
Others: 0.84% 0 EVs

Methods: Here is my McMullin wins Utah map. I wanted him to win by about a percent (in this case, 0.98%). In this scenario, McMullin makes it on the ballot in Wyoming, Nevada, and Arizona in addition to the states that he was in in real life. I figure that adding him in other states isn’t worth the effort due to the small numbers of Mormons in other states. A while back, I found that the correlation of Mormons times the % of people with a college degree in the county tracked McMullin’s results pretty closely (r^2 equals about 0.78). I used that model times 1.6446715 to get the expected percent that McMullin received in a county in Nevada, Wyoming, and Arizona. For Idaho and Utah, I used an average of the model (Mormon * College) and the actual results and then multiplied by that 1.64 number to get the expected percentage by county. I picked this number (1.6446715) because it approximated the amount of votes that McMullin needed to gain in order to win Utah by about a percent.

Once I found how many votes I expected McMullin to get, I subtracted those from the other candidates (85% from Trump, 10% from Johnson, and 5% from Clinton). In the case of Nevada, which has a None of the Above option, I guesstimated 40% of those would’ve voted McMullin and prioritized using those votes for McMullin’s total. In Nevada, I subtracted the difference (modeled-40% of NotA) and then subtracted the result from Trump, Johnson, and Clinton in the proportions described earlier. For Wyoming, I used a similar method, but I assumed that 50% of the unlisted write-ins were for McMullin. [Side note: One of my bigger small regrets is that I didn’t fork out $100 or so to the Wyoming SoS right after the election for them to count the write-ins for McMullin. Oh well.] Arizona was cool in that they listed McMullin write-ins for all counties, so I took those out of the number of votes that I needed to take away from other candidates.

To my friends on Atlas, I apologize for the flipped colors. Blame Wikipedia. Speaking of which, is there a good county template to use? There’s some artifacts on the current map due to the way the colors changed slightly around the edges of the counties; these are especially noticeable on the counties that flipped.

Analysis: McMullin obviously does a lot better in Utah (35.05%) and Idaho (10.44%), where he manages to win some counties. I am actually kind of surprised that McMullin only won 4 counties in Utah. Granted, 3 of them are in the top 6 by population. I was slightly disappointed that he only won a single county in Idaho, but it’s better than nothing (he didn’t even win any precincts there in the real results).

Looking at Nevada, he got 2.06%, which wasn’t enough to do more than shift some Trump 70% counties down to the 60% range. Notably, McMullin got 12.85% in Lincoln County and 5.09% in White Pine County.

Wyoming doesn’t see that much of a change. The most notable change is that Johnson drops under 5%, coming in at 4.96%. McMullin’s 3.62% is concentrated in the counties with large Mormon populations (big surprise there). Only the most Mormon counties had any change (in this case, they all dropped from Trump 70% to Trump 60%). McMullin broke 5% in 5 counties and 10% in 3 of those counties.

Arizona also saw little real change. Only one county even changed percentage bins (Navajo County went from Trump 50% to Trump 40%). The biggest thing here is that the relatively narrow margin between Trump and Clinton shrinks from 3.50% to 2.40%. McMullin polled 2.04% in Arizona.

Overall, a whopping 7 counties flipped. Two from Trump to Clinton and five from Trump to McMullin.

Issues: My data was missing Mormon percentages for a few counties. I looked at surrounding counties and just kinda made a number that seemed consistent with neighboring counties. In Wayne County, UT, my model showed that Johnson would have received -5 votes, which just isn’t possible. I fudged the numbers and added in 3 votes each from Stein and Other. A few counties in Nevada had more votes from the 40% of NotA, so I went with the higher number, which resulted in McMullin getting about 36 extra votes than he would’ve from my base model (big whoop). I also lost a total of 7 votes due to rounding in Idaho that I didn’t really feel like dealing with finding.

It’s also comical how hard it is to get consistent numbers even on Wikipedia. I’m not sure that the numbers on their table add up to 100%. I also probably missed taking some votes off when I added them to the huge clunky national popular vote table and I may have screwed something up. Not sure and it’s just after midnight when I’m writing this after spending most of the evening on this. Some of the calculations for the nationwide popular vote may be slightly off because of those issues.

Data Sources: Slate's Mormon map
Unsure about college education for Utah and Idaho; I had that info a long time before and I can’t find where I got it from. The numbers are fairly close to the census bureau’s though.
https://www.census.gov/censusexplorer/censusexplorer.html
For election results, I used Wikipedia for Nevada, Arizona, and Utah because it was easy to copy/paste into excel, for Idaho and Wyoming I used their SoS websites, because Wiki doesn’t have it by county. I also used the AZ SoS for McMullin write ins. I used USElectionAtlas for the “other” votes in Arizona (non-McMullin write-ins). https://sos.idaho.gov/elect/results/2016/General/president_by_county.html
http://soswy.state.wy.us/Elections/Docs/2016/2016GeneralResults.aspx
http://apps.azsos.gov/election/2016/Info/ElectionInformation.htm
Could you do a map for if Gary Johnson won the states where he got at least 5% of the vote?
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2018, 04:33:51 PM »

Could you do a map for if Gary Johnson won the states where he got at least 5% of the vote?

I might consider it, but it would definitely take some time. Also, I'm not really sure how to model it. McMullin's votes correlate pretty well with areas of high Mormon members and high college education, but I'd have to figure out how to model Johnson voters. The other issue is who should I take votes from? McMullin was fairly straight forward since he is still pretty conservative, so I mostly took votes from Trump. I'm not sure if there's anything to guide me in that aspect for Johnson. I remember seeing something about who third party voters would've picked in 2016, but I can't remember where I saw it and I'm thinking it just had them lumped together and not separated. Compiling data for all counties would take a considerable amount of time. I only did about 130 counties for this model versus the 3150ish nationwide. Granted, I can just drag and drop formulas in excel, but it would still take time that I'm not sure I feel like spending.

There's also the issue that Johnson broke 5% in a number of states that vary quite widely in terms of how they voted.

What is more likely is that I could do a map of Johnson winning New Mexico and the vote shifts that would be responsible for that. I would probably butterfly away "Aleppo" and have him take a bit more from Trump. It would probably result in a Clinton victory.

Also, a side note: McMullin won less than 1 million votes. I will say that this doesn't account for increasing his support nationwide, so he almost certainly would've broken 1 million votes (he only needed 20,000 more) and may have gotten close to Stein's performance.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

I might consider it, but it would definitely take some time. Also, I'm not really sure how to model it. McMullin's votes correlate pretty well with areas of high Mormon members and high college education, but I'd have to figure out how to model Johnson voters. The other issue is who should I take votes from? McMullin was fairly straight forward since he is still pretty conservative, so I mostly took votes from Trump. I'm not sure if there's anything to guide me in that aspect for Johnson. I remember seeing something about who third party voters would've picked in 2016, but I can't remember where I saw it and I'm thinking it just had them lumped together and not separated. Compiling data for all counties would take a considerable amount of time. I only did about 130 counties for this model versus the 3150ish nationwide. Granted, I can just drag and drop formulas in excel, but it would still take time that I'm not sure I feel like spending.

There's also the issue that Johnson broke 5% in a number of states that vary quite widely in terms of how they voted.

What is more likely is that I could do a map of Johnson winning New Mexico and the vote shifts that would be responsible for that. I would probably butterfly away "Aleppo" and have him take a bit more from Trump. It would probably result in a Clinton victory.

Also, a side note: McMullin won less than 1 million votes. I will say that this doesn't account for increasing his support nationwide, so he almost certainly would've broken 1 million votes (he only needed 20,000 more) and may have gotten close to Stein's performance.

Might this be helpful:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/4/8/1755454/-2008-2016-US-Presidential-Election-by-County-all-in-a-single-spreadsheet
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2018, 08:17:00 AM »

This is a minor obsession of mine, so I'll go first with this:

What Trump vs Sanders would've looked like based solely on polls.

Could you please post the state results? Thanks.
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:53 AM »

TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:37 AM »

TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »

Looks like a composite of 2000-2008 or something like that.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #535 on: April 21, 2018, 10:53:31 AM »

Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »

Its not.
Look at the image title.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #537 on: April 21, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

Oops, I'm dumb Cheesy
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2018, 05:36:30 PM »

Do you know we’re I can create a map like this?
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »

Snip

Snip

You can follow this link: https://uselectionatlas.org/TOOLS/evcalc.php

After making your map, click the "Show Map Link" button and paste the link it gives into whichever thread you want it in.

Welcome to the forum!
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #540 on: April 21, 2018, 08:03:06 PM »

Snip

Snip

After making your map, click the "Show Map Link" button and paste the link it gives into whichever thread you want it in.

Welcome to the forum!

No, I mean a county map.
UlmerFudd
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.17

« Reply #541 on: April 21, 2018, 11:44:54 PM »

Snip

Snip

Welcome to the forum!

No, I mean a county map.
https://mapchart.net/usa-counties.html
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #542 on: April 23, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »

Take 5% of the vote away from McCain and give it to Obama.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #543 on: April 23, 2018, 03:07:30 PM »

I've actually made a map for this exact scenario with shaded margins. it's fascinating how McCain still wins so many counties even as Obama is winning ~57% of the NPV.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #544 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:57 PM »

Here's what it would have looked life if Johnson had swept the Deep South in 1964

NEW JERSEY FOR MENENDEZ
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #545 on: April 23, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »

How many EVs does Obama get?
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #546 on: April 23, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »

How many EVs does Obama get?

He flips MO, MT, GA, SD, AZ, ND, and SC.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #547 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »

Here's what it would have looked life if Johnson had swept the Deep South in 1964

It's amazing how few counties Johnson would have needed to win Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina.
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #548 on: April 23, 2018, 10:43:27 PM »

It's amazing how few counties Johnson would have needed to win Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina.
In Mississippi, Johnson gets at least 40% in every county so his support is spread out fairly evenly, which allows him to win with relatively few counties. In Alabama, Johnson wins overwhelming victories in Northern 'Bama while keeping the highly populated Jefferson, Shelby, Montgomery, and Mobile counties close. The South Carolina map is actually somewhat reminiscent of JFK's 1960 victory in the state.
TNcon4
Rookie

« Reply #549 on: April 25, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2018, 08:01:33 PM by TNcon4 »

As promised.
https://i.gyazo.com/05973f9cd04304255ffee7e5f3fd6be9.png

A few things to notice

- Black Belt in AL, an R+13 (presumably) votes for Sewell
- Cheney's under performance in Southern (ancestrally Democratic) Wyoming
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28  
« previous next »