MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:38:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55
Author Topic: MA-SEN Megathread: Senator Markey wins  (Read 68030 times)
Roblox

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 01, 2020, 09:25:30 PM »

You: arguing if progressives are working class or not

Me: lol Zoomer meme campaign beat wet mouth guy lets gooo yes.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1201 on: September 01, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »

Is Tyringham township, with a median household income of $60,250, which has gone to Markey by 50% a bastion of elitism?Huh

This is about broad trends, not a universal law. Are you seriously going to dispute that Markey country (Newton, Natick, Brookline, Somerville, Rockport, Littleton) isn't one of the most elite places in the country? Are you seriously going to dispute that Kennedy country (Springfield, Worcester, New Bedford, Fall River, Adams) isn't overwhelmingly working class?
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1202 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:10 PM »

Markey's numbers in Natick and Newton compared against Kennedy's numbers in Springfield and Worcester make one thing clear: this race has never been about progressive vs establishment or house vs senate. It's about the wealthy (Markey's base) vs everyone ese (Kennedy's base). So much for being on the side of the working man, Markey bros.

Have you seen western Mass?Huh??

This is the worst possible take for so many reasons.

Springfield vs the Pioneer Valley, you mean? Sure, Markey's going 55-45 in rural Western MA but the blue collar heartland of Massachusetts is solidly behind Kennedy. It's funny to see the Sanders/Warren types who were oh-so-horrified to see the Democrats become the party of UMC whites have their candidate win because of these very voters. It is abundantly clear that Markey's majority is coming from rich towns in Middlesex and Metrowest, not anywhere else.

This may shock some people but working class, blue collar voters aren’t hardcore Leftists. In the primary they overwhelmingly went for Biden, and Sanders/ Warren got crushed with them. These types of voters are your stereotypical “Moderate Democrat”

Most Progressives are upper class whites in the suburbs. Despite their rhetoric, Berniecrats don’t represent the working class.

Very true, but there's much more at play here than Markey being the more left candidate. Markey is much more in touch with the stereotypical WWC voter of Massachusetts. His accent and working class background is part of it, obviously a small part but is a decent way to illustrate it.

I think the WWC voter of Massachusetts can determine who is most in touch with their needs on their own, no?

That is mathematically unclear.

True believer in democracy I see.

Huh?

You’re saying WWC voters can’t make good decisions on their own?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1203 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:29 PM »

Is Tyringham township, with a median household income of $60,250, which has gone to Markey by 50% a bastion of elitism?Huh

This is about broad trends, not a universal law. Are you seriously going to dispute that Markey country (Newton, Natick, Brookline, Somerville, Rockport, Littleton) isn't one of the most elite places in the country? Are you seriously going to dispute that Kennedy country (Springfield, Worcester, New Bedford, Fall River, Adams) isn't overwhelmingly working class?

As I said, mathematically unclear.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1204 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »

Markey's numbers in Natick and Newton compared against Kennedy's numbers in Springfield and Worcester make one thing clear: this race has never been about progressive vs establishment or house vs senate. It's about the wealthy (Markey's base) vs everyone ese (Kennedy's base). So much for being on the side of the working man, Markey bros.

Springfield vs the Pioneer Valley, you mean? Sure, Markey's going 55-45 in rural Western MA but the blue collar heartland of Massachusetts is solidly behind Kennedy. It's funny to see the Sanders/Warren types who were oh-so-horrified to see the Democrats become the party of UMC whites have their candidate win because of these very voters. It is abundantly clear that Markey's majority is coming from rich towns in Middlesex and Metrowest, not anywhere else.

This may shock some people but working class, blue collar voters aren’t hardcore Leftists. In the primary they overwhelmingly went for Biden, and Sanders/ Warren got crushed with them. These types of voters are your stereotypical “Moderate Democrat”

Most Progressives are upper class whites in the suburbs. Despite their rhetoric, Berniecrats don’t represent the working class.

Very true, but there's much more at play here than Markey being the more left candidate. Markey is much more in touch with the stereotypical WWC voter of Massachusetts. His accent and working class background is part of it, obviously a small part but is a decent way to illustrate it.

I think the WWC voter of Massachusetts can determine who is most in touch with their needs on their own, no?

Huh?

What, no not at all. I said that it's unclear where that vote is going, and it varies on location.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1205 on: September 01, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »

Huh?

You seemed to dispute whether voters are capable of determining which candidate best serves their interests.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1206 on: September 01, 2020, 09:27:38 PM »

As I said, mathematically unclear.

I misinterpreted that earlier comment, but no, it really isn't.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1207 on: September 01, 2020, 09:27:57 PM »

Huh?

You seemed to dispute whether voters are capable of determining which candidate best serves their interests.

I said it's mathematically unclear because the numbers are incomplete.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1208 on: September 01, 2020, 09:28:26 PM »

Boston is in, and it's for Ed.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #1209 on: September 01, 2020, 09:29:00 PM »

Huh?

What, no not at all. I said that it's unclear where that vote is going, and it varies on location.

Ok, I didn’t understand. My bad.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1210 on: September 01, 2020, 09:29:31 PM »

So now that Markey has won can progressively finally admit this race was more about Markey's successor. We went through the same thing with Harris as VP.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1211 on: September 01, 2020, 09:29:53 PM »

NYT calls it, Senator Ed Markey it is!
Lognog
United States

« Reply #1212 on: September 01, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »

Weird how quiet Millennial Moderate has gotten, let's hope it stays that way
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1213 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »

NYT calls it for Markey. Pity that Morse lost but keeping Ed in the senate makes this a good night.

Unfortunately, this will certainly not be the last of Kennedy. I expect a run for governor or perhaps a primary against Warren, who does notoriously poorly in her home state.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #1214 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »

Somebody needs to check on olawakandi - how is he reacting to Market's win??
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1215 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »

Reminder of how giving the State of the Union response seems to so often doom you when you want to advance your career any further.

2010 - Gov. Bob McDonnell (went to prison for corruption)
2011 - Rep. Paul Ryan (lost VP campaign; brief speakership was a disaster)
2012 - Gov. Mitch Daniels (never ran for POTUS or Senate)
2013 - Sen. Marco Rubio (2016 presidential campaign imploded)
2014 - Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (term limited out of her chairmanship and has no hope of election to higher office in her state)
2015 - Sen. Joni Ernst (let's see how this goes)
2016 - Gov. Nikki Haley (is going to run for president in 2024 and do about as well as Jeb did)
2018 - Rep. Joe Kennedy (tried and failed to primary an incumbent senator)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #1216 on: September 01, 2020, 09:31:59 PM »

Leave your Fs in the chat for Kennedy.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1217 on: September 01, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 10:49:46 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Eh, I didn't have a favorite in the race. I did find the online worshipping of Markey unbearable at times.

I hate how nationalized the race got.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1218 on: September 01, 2020, 09:33:26 PM »

First 50 Boston precincts are 59/40 Markey....though DDHQ has the same margin but reversed whose leading. The race is over, but I suspect the map is going to be interesting at the end of it all.

And with Boston In, NYT calls it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1219 on: September 01, 2020, 09:34:52 PM »

Kennedy's loss, as noted above, means he is the first member of that family to ever lose an election in Massachusetts. And another thing-once his House term ends on January 3, 2021, it will be the first time in 74 years that no direct descendant of Joseph Kennedy Sr. will hold elected office anywhere in the United States. This doesn't count Amy Kennedy, Van Drew's opponent in New Jersey, who married into the family. Hopefully, the Kennedy dynasty will now find its way into the history books, like the Roosevelts and Tafts have.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1220 on: September 01, 2020, 09:35:42 PM »

NYT calls it for Markey. Pity that Morse lost but keeping Ed in the senate makes this a good night.

Unfortunately, this will certainly not be the last of Kennedy. I expect a run for governor or perhaps a primary against Warren, who does notoriously poorly in her home state.

She does poorly in general elections. Trying to primary her would be laughable after this result. If Kennedy wants to get back in the game, he should wait until a seat opens up, and even then he wouldn't necessarily win.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1221 on: September 01, 2020, 09:37:55 PM »

She does poorly in general elections. Trying to primary her would be laughable after this result. If Kennedy wants to get back in the game, he should wait until a seat opens up, and even then he wouldn't necessarily win.

I doubt he'd win, but if anyone has the ego to try...
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1222 on: September 01, 2020, 09:38:50 PM »

Kennedy's loss, as noted above, means he is the first member of that family to ever lose an election in Massachusetts. And another thing-once his House term ends on January 3, 2021, it will be the first time in 74 years that no direct descendant of Joseph Kennedy Sr. will hold elected office anywhere in the United States. This doesn't count Amy Kennedy, Van Drew's opponent in New Jersey, who married into the family. Hopefully, the Kennedy dynasty will now find its way into the history books, like the Roosevelts and Tafts have.

Who did between Patrick's retirement in 2010 and Joe's election to Congress in 2012?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1223 on: September 01, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »

Consorts are not eligible to be in the line of succession. Only Kennedys du sang have that privilege!
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1224 on: September 01, 2020, 09:39:11 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2020, 09:42:56 PM by Rep.-elect FalterinArc »

Well I was hoping for Joe to win but i'm not that upset about it. It doesn't make sense to get worked up about primaries like this. Ed Markey and Joe kennedy are both fine, smart progressive men and I hope they both have luck in their future political ventures. As another wise Massachusetts politician once said, "In an American election, there are no losers". Now let's get out there, cut the malarkey and win the senate majority!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies