Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:20:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360968 times)
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: April 17, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »

Warren is one of my favourite picks for VP, but wouldn't results like these speak more of name recognition than anything else? Aside from HRC, she is  easily the most known Democratic woman in the country.

Would Warren actually be significantly more well-known than Klobuchar in Wisconsin (which has substantial overlapping media markets with Minnesota)? 

It seems significant to me that Warren is substantially more popular than Klobuchar among all voters in a swing state neighboring Klobuchar’s home state.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #651 on: April 17, 2020, 09:52:25 AM »

Warren is one of my favourite picks for VP, but wouldn't results like these speak more of name recognition than anything else? Aside from HRC, she is  easily the most known Democratic woman in the country.

Interesting pull from the article regarding black voters:

By the numbers: Black voters in Michigan and Wisconsin picked Abrams as their favorite hypothetical running mate for Biden, at 36% and 38%, respectively.

While Klobuchar is popular among voters overall in these states, she got just 12% support from black voters in Michigan and 20% from black voters in Wisconsin.

Harris underperformed with black voters in Michigan (22%) relative to her overall support in these two states, and she did 10 percentage points better with black voters in Wisconsin.

Warren earned the most consistent support among the group, in the low 30s among black voters in both states.

Abrams’ performance without being a sitting senator or having just run for president, shows potential to build a broad coalition and turn out voters.

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #652 on: April 17, 2020, 09:57:36 AM »

version of poll results above; looks like there's some text rendered on top which doesn't transfer with the graphic

Also worth noting that Whitmer is... not popular in Wisconsin. I've always thought the idea of elevating the (new) governor of a state that's faced the worst of the virus was a really risky decision and ultimately a bad idea. Could easily appear to the average voter (or the expert) like the state's poor response was her fault.

By the numbers: Black voters in Michigan and Wisconsin picked Abrams as their favorite hypothetical running mate for Biden, at 36% and 38%, respectively.

While Klobuchar is popular among voters overall in these states, she got just 12% support from black voters in Michigan and 20% from black voters in Wisconsin.

Harris underperformed with black voters in Michigan (22%) relative to her overall support in these two states, and she did 10 percentage points better with black voters in Wisconsin.

Warren earned the most consistent support among the group, in the low 30s among black voters in both states.

Abrams’ performance without being a sitting senator or having just run for president, shows potential to build a broad coalition and turn out voters.

I know "name recognition" and all but surely it's worth something that Warren isn't that far behind Abrams right?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #653 on: April 17, 2020, 09:59:41 AM »

version of poll results above; looks like there's some text rendered on top which doesn't transfer with the graphic

Also worth noting that Whitmer is... not popular in Wisconsin. I've always thought the idea of elevating the (new) governor of a state that's faced the worst of the virus was a really risky decision and ultimately a bad idea. Could easily appear to the average voter (or the expert) like the state's poor response was her fault.

I know "name recognition" and all but surely it's worth something that Warren isn't that far behind Abrams right?

Whitmer is the governor of Michigan, so why would Wisconsin #s matter? She's very popular in Michigan.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »

Name recognition poll. No one knows who Duckworth, Demmings, CCM, or Whitmer (minus Michiganders) are.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #655 on: April 17, 2020, 10:06:30 AM »

Wow! I can't believe nobody on Atlas ever vocalized this before!

Let's all jump on the Harris Train! Roll Eyes
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #656 on: April 17, 2020, 10:21:25 AM »

Hopefully this puts the "Harris will increase black turnout" argument to rest.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #657 on: April 17, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »

Harris said she rather Stacy Abrams have it, she wants to stay in Senate
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #658 on: April 17, 2020, 10:23:29 AM »

Yeah. I think the argument for Harris lies more in the fact that Biden and she have a strong rapport. I don't know if Abrams and Biden can develop that same sort of relationship based on some of the things she has said about him.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #659 on: April 17, 2020, 10:24:45 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2020, 10:37:14 AM by money printer go brrr »

Whitmer is the governor of Michigan, so why would Wisconsin #s matter? She's very popular in Michigan.

Name recognition poll. No one knows who Duckworth, Demmings, CCM, or Whitmer (minus Michiganders) are.

I don't have data to back this up but I suspect people are much more likely to know who Whitmer is considering 1) how much attention Michigan/Detroit has gotten for being a rona hotspot and 2) the fact that she was called out multiple times (although not by name, lol) by Turmp.

That would be especially true if you're a Sconnie. They don't share a major media market but they share a border and are part of the same region. I don't expect Arizonans to know Whitmer that much better than the average governor but people in Wisconsin? Oh yeah.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2020, 10:46:16 AM »

Finally, someone else says it.

Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2020, 10:48:58 AM »

I don't have data to back this up but I suspect people are much more likely to know who Whitmer is considering 1) how much attention Michigan/Detroit has gotten for being a rona hotspot and 2) the fact that she was called out multiple times (although not by name, lol) by Turmp.

That would be especially true if you're a Sconnie. They don't share a major media market but they share a border and are part of the same region. I don't expect Arizonans to know Whitmer that much better than the average governor but people in Wisconsin? Oh yeah.

I think you're overstating how much being in the same region makes a difference. Her numbers seem consistent with a politician who has gotten a moderate amount of national media attention and is relatively similar to Duckworth's, who is also from the same region.

Your average Wisconsin resident who is not super plugged into Coronavirus news is probably not that familiar with Whitmer.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »

Warren could resign in like September to give MA time to elect a replacement senator to start in January. Of course if Biden loses she threw her senate career away, but it's worth the risk.

Alternatively, the MA legislature could pass a law (over Baker's veto even) to force the replacement to be from the same party as the vacating seat holder. I think they changed the law before under similar circumstances. It would really just be best to require the replacement to be from the same party, then hold a special election later, and be done with this issue.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2020, 12:27:59 PM »

Biden told to think economy with VP pick

Joe Biden

JOE BIDEN
Biden assembling White House transition team
Manchin to back Biden for president
Joe Biden must pick a progressive black woman as VP if he wants to win
MORE
 is being advised by some Democrats to select a running mate with strong economic credentials as the country faces a steep climb out of a coronavirus-fueled recession, according to sources close to the campaign.

The crisis has raised the stock of politicians who were already seen as potential veeps to Biden, such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D).

thehill.com/homenews/campaign/493258-biden-told-to-think-economy-with-vp-pick
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #664 on: April 17, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »

Whitmer said on Maddow show she isnt interested either,  she wants to stay in MI as Gov
redjohn

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2020, 12:37:49 PM »

In terms of them actually SERVING as VP, I think Klobuchar would be the best pick. Pretty respected among more progressive and more "moderate" Senators, and she knows the Senate well. Warren wouldn't be terrible either, though.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2020, 12:48:21 PM »

Whitmer said on Maddow show she isnt interested either,  she wants to stay in MI as Gov

That’s not what she said.  She basically just said she didn’t want to discuss that question right now.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #667 on: April 17, 2020, 01:21:27 PM »

Whitmer says that she will be part of Biden's VP vetting team but she won't be the pick:

"I'm going to help him vet and make sure he's got a great running mate. It is not going to be me," she added with a smile. "But I'm going to have a hand in helping make sure that that he has got the rounded out ticket that can win.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/16/whitmer-biden-pledge-female-vice-president-pick-not-me/5058449002/

Normally I would ignore the "it's not going to be me" statement because that is a typical denial for top running mate prospects.  The fact Gretchen Whitmer is on Biden's running mate vetting team is the more newsworthy item.  Which raises an interesting question -- which of the other candidates is Whitmer likely to favor?  She and Klobuchar appear to have the most in common, but that doesn't mean she would recommend Klobuchar as the best choice.

It is not unheard of for a running mate vetter to wind up as the running mate -- Cheney did in 2000.  But for Whitmer to do that while simultaneously managing the coronavirus crisis in her state -- that seems unlikely to me.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #668 on: April 17, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

"I would be honored if I were being considered" is a much better and politically savvier answer than "I would be an excellent running mate," which is what Abrams said.

Abrams is naturally arrogant, but it serves her well. Everybody I've known in state politics (prior to her gubernatorial bid, mind you) had negative things to say about her in this regard; basically that she felt she was "owed" this, that and the other, and that those around her felt they were on the "fast track" to the White House (way before there was a justifiable path - among the "in-crowd" of the DPG, this was a recurring joke of sorts; her staff would make unironic references to 'The West Wing'). Some of it was obvious racial tension from whites, but the fact that she didn't even manage to secure the most Democratic legislative endorsements as the House Minority Leader among an 80% black coalition in the primary - between her and noted white Stacey Evans - shows there was some truth to it beyond that. Nevertheless, she is capable, powerful and unafraid of boasting about it: the excesses of this would obviously be tempered as a VP candidate playing second fiddle, but an amount of this characteristic is actually valuable in politics (see: Trump).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #669 on: April 17, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »

Abrams has not been vetted and has not had one single bad day in the national press outside of conservative media.

Harris remains the superior option to me.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #670 on: April 17, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »

The fact Gretchen Whitmer is on Biden's running mate vetting team is the more newsworthy item.

The Biden campaign hasn't announced the names of anyone on the team that will do the vetting, so I don't think that's what she meant.  I guess I'd interpret it as "I will help him vet by allowing myself to be vetted if asked", or something like that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #671 on: April 17, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »

Abrams isn't that well known, so it doesn't make sense that she's that high...
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #672 on: April 17, 2020, 04:42:31 PM »

interesting profile of Abrams from 2015 (h/t @ZaidJilani )

Reading Stacey Abrams’ bio, it’s tough to see how she has all the time to fit everything in. She’s co-founded a financial services firm, NOWaccount, Nourish, Inc, a beverage company those focuses on toddlers and infants and is the CEO of Sage Works, a legal advisory firm. She serves as general counsel to the Atlanta Dream and is the COO of Insomnia Group, an Atlanta firm specializing in investment and development for business projects.

One other unexpected detail: In an interview with Womenetics, a B2B services firm that specializes in helping women professionals, Ms. Abrams named three favorite books: The Institutionist, Ender’s Game and… Atlas Shrugged, not exactly a book at the top of most Democrat reading lists. Womenetics called her a “serial entrepreneur” and clearly she has a passion for business. As to how does that translate to the tough business of navigating the politics of Georgia as a Democrat legislator, she seems to have found quick success...
https://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/2015/10/15/house-minority-leader-abrams-talks-new-georgia-project-gig-economy-and-upcoming-session/

There is no doubt Abrams is a very talented and capable person.  She's also written a bunch of romance novels under the pseudonym Selena Montgomery.  I haven't read any of them (it's not one of my favorite genres) but I've heard they're pretty well thought of.

My sole objection to her as a potential running mate for Biden is she doesn't have enough experience in government to be able to step in on a moment's notice, which is an obvious concern for a nominee of his age.  If she were to serve as governor or in Congress for a while, I could certainly see her as President or VP some years down the road.

Am I the only one baffled by her book choices? Saying Atlas Shrugged is a great book is...pretty odd coming from a non-libertarian. Also Ender's Game is kind of odd; but I guess that's just me considering it just a book for teenage boys
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #673 on: April 17, 2020, 05:23:29 PM »

Reading Stacey Abrams’ bio, it’s tough to see how she has all the time to fit everything in. She’s co-founded a financial services firm, NOWaccount, Nourish, Inc, a beverage company those focuses on toddlers and infants and is the CEO of Sage Works, a legal advisory firm. She serves as general counsel to the Atlanta Dream and is the COO of Insomnia Group, an Atlanta firm specializing in investment and development for business projects.

One other unexpected detail: In an interview with Womenetics, a B2B services firm that specializes in helping women professionals, Ms. Abrams named three favorite books: The Institutionist, Ender’s Game and… Atlas Shrugged, not exactly a book at the top of most Democrat reading lists. Womenetics called her a “serial entrepreneur” and clearly she has a passion for business. As to how does that translate to the tough business of navigating the politics of Georgia as a Democrat legislator, she seems to have found quick success...
https://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/2015/10/15/house-minority-leader-abrams-talks-new-georgia-project-gig-economy-and-upcoming-session/

There is no doubt Abrams is a very talented and capable person.  She's also written a bunch of romance novels under the pseudonym Selena Montgomery.  I haven't read any of them (it's not one of my favorite genres) but I've heard they're pretty well thought of.

My sole objection to her as a potential running mate for Biden is she doesn't have enough experience in government to be able to step in on a moment's notice, which is an obvious concern for a nominee of his age.  If she were to serve as governor or in Congress for a while, I could certainly see her as President or VP some years down the road.

Am I the only one baffled by her book choices? Saying Atlas Shrugged is a great book is...pretty odd coming from a non-libertarian. Also Ender's Game is kind of odd; but I guess that's just me considering it just a book for teenage boys

It's not that uncommon to appreciate literature that provides an insight into worldviews you don't personally share or with which you find yourself in opposition. My guess would be that Abrams liked Randian literature for providing a window into a worldview she has faced throughout her entire life, both in and out of politics.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #674 on: April 17, 2020, 05:50:43 PM »

Still not as weird as Romney's book tastes:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/mitt-romneys-favorite-book-has-changed-from-battlefield-5807541
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies