Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 12:18:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362957 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 13, 2020, 03:50:22 PM »

Klobuchar says she hasn’t talked to Biden about being VP or being in the Cabinet or anything like that, and that she’s currently “focused” on her present job:

https://www.siriusxm.com/clips/clip/0599fdfc-88f5-6fdc-bb03-580b27af0c14/20261ec3-f75b-422c-973f-cd5d3e6e2c7d

Meanwhile, Harris and Klobuchar working behind the scenes to boost Team Biden:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/coronavirus-election-biden-mulls-vp-as-ex-rivals-work-to-help-beat-trump.html

Their work on behalf of Biden includes voter outreach and virtual fundraising events. They are also looking to make an appearance on Biden’s podcast and are trying to help Democrats making runs for the GOP-controlled Senate, their campaign aides told CNBC. These advisors were granted anonymity in order to speak freely about how Harris and Klobuchar are trying to assist Biden in the wake of Sen. Bernie Sanders’ departure from the presidential race last week.
Biden has been trying to stay on voters’ minds by showing how he would handle things differently if he were in charge, making the Harris and Klobuchar efforts to assist him even more imperative. While he has yet to announce his March fundraising totals, having Harris and Klobuchar donors aligned with him could be a crucial boost for his campaign. 
Klobuchar has been helping the Biden campaign raise money through telephone calls and plans to participate in virtual fundraising events and his digital town halls, one of her aides said. There are also plans in the works for the Minnesota Democrat to join Biden’s new podcast, a platform that has already features Whitmer. 
Harris is likely not done taking part in virtual fundraisers for Biden and will get back on the campaign trail advocating for Biden in person once her home state of California fully lifts its stay-at-home order, an aide said. She’s been a vocal critic of Trump’s handling of the coronavirus. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #551 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:05 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/veepstakes-in-the-age-of-coronavirus/

Sources with insight into the "pre-vetting" process tell CBS News that Biden's picks have further winnowed since March, when the former vice president told "The View" that his shortlist hovered around 11 women, citing the immense resources required to investigate each candidate.

Five to eight candidates are now being seriously considered, CBS News has learned, though the sources said a "dark horse" candidate could be added.

The former vice president has yet to publicly name who will lead the effort, which will likely be manned by a fleet of accountants and attorneys. Lawyers from Holder's powerhouse firm, Covington & Burling, already serve as counsel to Biden's presidential campaign.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #552 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:47 AM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/veepstakes-in-the-age-of-coronavirus/

Sources with insight into the "pre-vetting" process tell CBS News that Biden's picks have further winnowed since March, when the former vice president told "The View" that his shortlist hovered around 11 women, citing the immense resources required to investigate each candidate.

Five to eight candidates are now being seriously considered, CBS News has learned, though the sources said a "dark horse" candidate could be added.

The former vice president has yet to publicly name who will lead the effort, which will likely be manned by a fleet of accountants and attorneys. Lawyers from Holder's powerhouse firm, Covington & Burling, already serve as counsel to Biden's presidential campaign.

Dark horse = Hillary? 
Phenix621
Rookie
United States

« Reply #553 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:18 AM »

Dark horse = Hillary? 

At this rate it should be Katy Perry!

All kidding aside, I hope Biden goes with Castro. Would help solidify Nevada, make a strong play in Arizona and go over well in Florida. Harris and Abrams will have him lose Pennsylvania and Wisconsin for sure.
indietraveler

« Reply #554 on: April 14, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

Even though there's no chance of it happening, imagine the shock if it's Michelle Obama.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #555 on: April 14, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »

Choosing black woman as running mate could boost Biden popularity in battleground states, poll finds

More than half of black voters in eight states have said they would be more enthusiastic or more likely to vote for Joe Biden if he picked a black woman as his running mate.

The information comes from a new poll conducted for the advocacy group BlackPAC by Politico.

The poll concerns the key battleground states of Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Minnesota, Nevada, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

https://us.yahoo.com/news/2020-election-choosing-black-woman-160927427.html
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #556 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »

Choosing black woman as running mate could boost Biden popularity in battleground states, poll finds

More than half of black voters in eight states have said they would be more enthusiastic or more likely to vote for Joe Biden if he picked a black woman as his running mate.

The information comes from a new poll conducted for the advocacy group BlackPAC by Politico.

The poll concerns the key battleground states of Michigan, Florida, Georgia, Minnesota, Nevada, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

So says BlackPAC Roll Eyes
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #557 on: April 14, 2020, 01:17:23 PM »

They are gonna pound Harris, Abrams into a drumbeat and neither has stated they want to be Veep and all but Klobuchar is a moderate and both Harris and Abams are lefties.

If Dems are targeting GA and TX the election is lost, Trump approvals will recover in the Fall in those states
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #558 on: April 14, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

So says BlackPAC Roll Eyes

Unless they release cross-tabs, I’m inclined to believe this is a push poll they released to boost their own interests.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #559 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:29 PM »

I seriously doubt that the overwhelming candidate of choice of the black community during the primary with the most direct of possible ties to the Obama administration needs any help from his eventual VP pick to boost the black vote.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #560 on: April 14, 2020, 05:11:32 PM »

This was an interesting editorial:

What may be surprising is that running mates usually fail to deliver votes among targeted geographic or demographic groups ... Our research shows running mates matter, above all else, by shaping how voters view the presidential candidate who selects them. Running mates indirectly influence voter choice by changing perceptions of the presidential candidate — which, in turn, changes votes.
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-04-12/biden-vice-president-choice
Florida Man
Rookie

« Reply #561 on: April 14, 2020, 07:59:34 PM »

If Biden is gonna go with a black woman, I like Terri Sewell. I'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned much.

She's only 55. She has been representing Selma in Congress for 9 years and is the vice-chair of the Ways and Means Committee in the House. I think she's a dark horse. She's well-connected. Michelle was her "Big Sister" at Princeton. She was friends with Susan Rice at Oxford and went to Harvard Law with Barack. (what are the odds?)

Kamala seems to have Hillary-Esque negativity surrounding her. I've seen a lot of people call her fake. Also, black folks have been pretty critical of her record as a prosecutor and Attorney General.

Abrams just isn't qualified yet.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #562 on: April 14, 2020, 08:19:26 PM »

If Biden is gonna go with a black woman, I like Terri Sewell. I'm surprised she hasn't been mentioned much.

She's only 55. She has been representing Selma in Congress for 9 years and is the vice-chair of the Ways and Means Committee in the House. I think she's a dark horse. She's well-connected. Michelle was her "Big Sister" at Princeton. She was friends with Susan Rice at Oxford and went to Harvard Law with Barack. (what are the odds?)

Kamala seems to have Hillary-Esque negativity surrounding her. I've seen a lot of people call her fake. Also, black folks have been pretty critical of her record as a prosecutor and Attorney General.

Welcome to the forum!

Interesting opinion. I personally think Demings is the way to go if we are using that Logic.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #563 on: April 14, 2020, 09:23:29 PM »

P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #564 on: April 14, 2020, 09:54:07 PM »

Would be pretty neat to see a Floridian on a national ticket for once.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #565 on: April 14, 2020, 10:16:06 PM »

Some of those expected to be on the VP vetting team:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/biden-s-biden-how-former-vp-approaching-his-running-mate-n1182851

By month’s end, Biden will formally announce the team to oversee that process, expected to include his campaign's top lawyers, general counsel Dana Remus and Bob Bauer; national campaign co-chairman Cedric Richmond; and either formally or informally a number of longtime advisers, including Ron Klain, his first chief of staff as vice president.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #566 on: April 14, 2020, 10:52:38 PM »

Would be pretty neat to see a Floridian on a national ticket for once.

You mean besides the one in the White House right now?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #567 on: April 15, 2020, 01:37:46 AM »

If Harris is considered insufficiently liberal by Sanders supporters then I doubt that picking Sewell     
will appease them. She is an actual New Democrat and one of the most pro-business Democratic members of congress. Her background as a Wall Street lawyer will be viewed with suspicion too.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #568 on: April 15, 2020, 01:42:06 AM »

Kamala is a cop but let’s put actual cop on Val Demings on the ticket.

Kamala is a neoliberal corporate stooge (who has never represented anyone but the people and won billions from big banks & mortgage companies) but let’s put corporate lawyer Terri Sewell on the ticket.

The Kamala hate is REAL.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #569 on: April 15, 2020, 01:51:16 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2020, 01:58:24 AM by Da2017 »

If Harris is considered insufficiently liberal by Sanders supporters then I doubt that picking Sewell    
will appease them. She is an actual New Democrat and one of the most pro-business Democratic members of congress. Her background as a Wall Street lawyer will be viewed with suspicion too.

I never bought in to the Hillary comparsions. She comes across as more personable maybe to a fault even. In fact politico even had a an article about it. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/28/kamala-harris-policies-1192919 Biden is similar for different reasons.  As far as charisma she is not obama,but certaintly more charismatic than someone like Al Gore.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #570 on: April 15, 2020, 01:57:48 AM »

Kamala is a cop but let’s put actual cop on Val Demings on the ticket.

Kamala is a neoliberal corporate stooge (who has never represented anyone but the people and won billions from big banks & mortgage companies) but let’s put corporate lawyer Terri Sewell on the ticket.

The Kamala hate is REAL.

Yup. And both points are ridiculous. Mr. Trump tries to paint himself as the law & order prez, when he's on top of the most scandal-plagued admin for the past 100 years. Having someone with law enforcement on the ticket is quite a contrast.

In the senate, Harris is one of the most liberal senators, so attacking her for being a neoliberal corporate shill is laughable. Neoliberal is even a vague term and uses to be a smear for "pro big business". Unlike the Trump Admin, a Biden/Harris Admin won't have Wall Street bankers sitting at the cabinet table and tax tax breaks for the 1% while the rest gets screwed off.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #571 on: April 15, 2020, 03:42:07 AM »

FIRED UP! READY TO GO!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #572 on: April 15, 2020, 09:52:35 AM »

Abrams takes public lobbying for the VP job to new heights:

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a32132819/stacey-abrams-on-voting-rights-covid-19-and-being-vice-president/

Stacey Abrams does not give the expected answer when I ask if she would accept an offer from former vice president Joe Biden to serve as his 2020 running mate. “Yes. I would be honored,” Abrams says. “I would be an excellent running mate. I have the capacity to attract voters by motivating typically ignored communities. I have a strong history of executive and management experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. I’ve spent 25 years in independent study of foreign policy. I am ready to help advance an agenda of restoring America’s place in the world. If I am selected, I am prepared and excited to serve.”

"I would be an excellent running mate" isn't the expected answer to this question.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #573 on: April 15, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a32132819/stacey-abrams-on-voting-rights-covid-19-and-being-vice-president/

Stacey Abrams does not give the expected answer when I ask if she would accept an offer from former vice president Joe Biden to serve as his 2020 running mate. “Yes. I would be honored,” Abrams says. “I would be an excellent running mate. I have the capacity to attract voters by motivating typically ignored communities. I have a strong history of executive and management experience in the private, public, and nonprofit sectors. I’ve spent 25 years in independent study of foreign policy. I am ready to help advance an agenda of restoring America’s place in the world. If I am selected, I am prepared and excited to serve.”

"I would be an excellent running mate" isn't the expected answer to this question.

Ok, at first she was amusing. Now she has become obnoxious.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #574 on: April 15, 2020, 10:38:15 AM »

Ok, at first she was amusing. Now she has become obnoxious.

Dude, get Abrams out of here. She should get a position out of this, but NOT VP.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies