DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 10:05:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40755 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:44 AM »

Again can we get any reporting on Manchin and Sinema feeling about the constitutional option?

They are coincidentally enough my two favorite Senators. However that will change if they prevent this from happening
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2021, 11:50:30 AM »

Over 700,000 DC residents, or at least close to 90% of them, wholeheartedly disagree.

I meant it's not happening.  I'll be proven correct.

Do you wanna elaborate?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2021, 12:07:22 PM »

Over 700,000 DC residents, or at least close to 90% of them, wholeheartedly disagree.

Do you wanna elaborate?

If the voting requirement is a majority vote it may pass, but I thought it was 2/3rds.  I don't believe there's any way it can pass by a 2/3 vote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2021, 12:16:43 PM »

Do you wanna elaborate?

If the voting requirement is a majority vote it may pass, but I thought it was 2/3rds.  I don't believe there's any way it can pass by a 2/3 vote.

It's just a plain majority vote for admitting new states, the filibuster is the only real obstacle in DC's case.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »

I don't oppose DC statehood and it is ultimately up to that jurisdiction to decide. Some other options include it remaining a federal district or be absorbed into Maryland by revoking the 23rd Amendment.

I think Puerto Rico should become a state first. 
Maryland doesn't want to absorb DC.

DC does not want to be absorbed into Maryland.
How do you know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Washington,_D.C._statehood_referendum
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »

Do you wanna elaborate?

It's just a plain majority vote for admitting new states, the filibuster is the only real obstacle in DC's case.

Isn't that a little like 1940 France saying the only thing stopping them from achieving air superiority is the luftwaffe?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #281 on: January 28, 2021, 01:35:27 PM »

I don't oppose DC statehood and it is ultimately up to that jurisdiction to decide. Some other options include it remaining a federal district or be absorbed into Maryland by revoking the 23rd Amendment.

How do you know?

It’s also the position of their elected representative in the House.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #282 on: January 28, 2021, 01:36:33 PM »

How do you know?

It’s also the position of their elected representative in the House.
It's also telling that their second-largest party is one that literally has statehood in the name.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #283 on: January 28, 2021, 02:05:09 PM »

Do you wanna elaborate?

Isn't that a little like 1940 France saying the only thing stopping them from achieving air superiority is the luftwaffe?

LeBrun didn't have reconciliation powers
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #284 on: January 28, 2021, 02:46:54 PM »

And as for the 23rd Amendment, it explicitly leaves the power of appointing the District's presidential electors to Congress "as Congress may direct," so if the DC statehood bill as currently proposed were to be enacted & the federal district were to become merely the White House, the Capitol, the Supreme Court, & the handful of other federal office buildings adjacent to the National Mall, Congress could literally just direct that those 3 EVs not be cast at all, thus removing any potential constitutional issues emanating from there.

If the Carper bill is the same as HR51 from the last Congress (the text isn't published yet), that's actually already included:

SEC. 223. Repeal of law providing for participation of seat of government in election of President and Vice-President.

(a) In general.—Chapter 1 of title 3, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking section 21; and

(2) in the table of sections, by striking the item relating to section 21.

(b) Effective date.—The amendments made by subsection (a) shall take effect upon the date of the admission of the State into the Union, and shall apply to any election of the President and Vice-President taking place on or after such date.

Edit: It is the same.

Okay OSR, Congress has already provided for a guarantee that the remaining parts of DC will get 0 EVs. So are you okay with DC getting statehood now?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2021, 02:49:25 PM »

And as for the 23rd Amendment, it explicitly leaves the power of appointing the District's presidential electors to Congress "as Congress may direct," so if the DC statehood bill as currently proposed were to be enacted & the federal district were to become merely the White House, the Capitol, the Supreme Court, & the handful of other federal office buildings adjacent to the National Mall, Congress could literally just direct that those 3 EVs not be cast at all, thus removing any potential constitutional issues emanating from there.

If the Carper bill is the same as HR51 from the last Congress (the text isn't published yet), that's actually already included:

SEC. 223. Repeal of law providing for participation of seat of government in election of President and Vice-President.

(a) In general.—Chapter 1 of title 3, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by striking section 21; and

(2) in the table of sections, by striking the item relating to section 21.

(b) Effective date.—The amendments made by subsection (a) shall take effect upon the date of the admission of the State into the Union, and shall apply to any election of the President and Vice-President taking place on or after such date.

Edit: It is the same.

Okay OSR, Congress has already provided for a guarantee that the remaining parts of DC will get 0 EVs. So are you okay with DC getting statehood now?
I just wish this guy would be honest about his partisan motivations.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »

I would be open to the idea of PR statehood, but DC should in no scenario be admitted as a state. This is just a powergrab.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »

I would be open to the idea of PR statehood, but DC should in no scenario be admitted as a state. This is just a powergrab.

I would be open to the idea of MT statehood, but the Dakotas should in no scenario be admitted as separate states. This is just a powergrab.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »

Why don't we merge DC with Iowa.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »

I would be open to the idea of MT statehood, but the Dakotas should in no scenario be admitted as separate states. This is just a powergrab.
The splitting of the Dakotas actually was a power grab.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »

My deal with Republicans still stands: We can merge DC and MD if we can merge PR and FL. Wink
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »

Powergrab? The citizens of the District of Columbia, which about the same as Wyoming, are supposed to pay federal income tax but have no representation in congress? How is that a powergrab? If Republicans are unhappy with their voting patterns, try to appeal to them. At least that's what Republicans say to Democrats when latter complain about small states like Wyoming or North Dakota.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »

Oh, man, you know what's more hypocritical than a powergrab? Cowards staying on a forum after promising they'd vanish for a year.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2021, 04:02:56 PM »

Powergrab? The citizens of the District of Columbia, which about the same as Wyoming, are supposed to pay federal income tax but have no representation in congress? How is that a powergrab? If Republicans are unhappy with their voting patterns, try to appeal to them. At least that's what Republicans say to Democrats when latter complain about small states like Wyoming or North Dakota.

Actually, DC has over 100,000 more people than Wyoming Tongue
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2021, 04:06:33 PM »

For reference, here is a current map of co-sponsors

The red are Republicans, the dark Green are Senators who have co-sponsored it, Medium Green are Democrats who have previously sponsored DC statehood but not this bill, and the lightest Green are senators who have voiced support but haven't ever co-sponsored DC statehood legislation.

Only 2 notable things are Padilla has sponsored DC statehood for the first time ever (no real surprise), and Tester, Hassan, and Shaheen haven't co-sponsored Carper's bill yet despite sponsoring equivalent legistlation in the past, though they likely will in the coming days
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2021, 04:52:38 PM by pppolitics »

What happened to your one year self-imposed ban?

You aren't supposed to return until after January 5, 2022.

I am saying it right now: If either Ossoff or Warnock wins, I'll leave the forum for 1 solid year.

I am saying it right now: If either Ossoff or Warnock wins, I'll leave the forum for 1 solid year.

Promise?
Sure. Take a screencap right now.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2021, 04:40:31 PM »

1. Why isn’t PR just lumped in with this?
2. Why haven’t we heard reporting on how high on the priority list this is for leadership?
3. And Sinema/Manchin.....? Anything?

If the stimulus bill is going to take weeks of wrangling then this should be up on the priority list
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2021, 04:47:10 PM »

1. Why isn’t PR just lumped in with this?
2. Why haven’t we heard reporting on how high on the priority list this is for leadership?
3. And Sinema/Manchin.....? Anything?

If the stimulus bill is going to take weeks of wrangling then this should be up on the priority list

The PR governor and representative are working on it, but this stuff takes a little more than a week:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/535909-puerto-rico-officials-hopeful-of-progress-on-statehood
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:32 PM »

request changing the name of the thread to "DC Statehood Megathread".
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #299 on: January 28, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »

request changing the name of the thread to "DC Statehood Megathread".

That one already exists a couple pages back. This was supposed to be for frivolous posts about new states, but the mods started putting the serious DC stuff here instead of the real DC megathread for whatever reason.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies