DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:10:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 40219 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2021, 09:13:33 PM »

Having a distinct capital area with different functions than other provinces/administrative areas is very common. That is what DC is. Now, they should definitely be represented in the House. The Senate, however, exists specifically for the states. Admitting them as a state and ensuring senate representation is a different matter. I'm not sure the capital area should be in any specific state, and thus have Senate representation, although they should be represented in the House

I agree with the PR criticism, and even with the fact that DC statehood is, at least in part, partisanly motivated (it's not like there are no non-partisan reasons to admit DC though, like you yourself admit)

However the bolded part is factually wrong. Yes, it is very common for the capital city of many countries to be a separate part from all the constituent entities. However, no country other than the US (to my knowledge) fully deprives said "capital region" from representation in the upper chamber.

The closest you can get is Australia, where the regular states get 12 Senators, while Canberra (and the Northern Territory) only get 2 Senators each. That's a very heavy difference, but 2 isn't quite 0.

And other than Australia, I can't think of any place where the capital region even gets deliberately less representation than it should.

> The German Bundesrat gives Berlin representation like every other state (partially, but not fully based on population), though it is worth noting Berlin (alongside Hamburg and Bremen) are city-states equal to the standard states
> The Austrian Bundesrat operates similar to the German one, giving Vienna the amount of representation it deserves though much like in Germany, Vienna is a city state equal to all the others

> The Brazilian Senate gives the Federal District (Brasilia) 3 Senators just like every other state
> The Argentine Senate gives CABA (Buenos Aires city) 3 Senators just like every other state
> The Mexican Senate is somewhat more complicated, but it still gives DF (Mexico City) equal representation. 3 Senators get elected in each state and in DF for a total of 96 (2 for the largest party, 1 for the runner up); and then there is a separate national list worth 32 Senators

What this would do is to copy the German/Austrian model, and make DC into a proper state like any other. Of course it could also get solved with a constitutional amendment but why shouldn't the citizens of DC have equal representation to all other Americans?

This is a really great point, that it's standard all around the world for countries that have a capital district to still let that district have equal representation in the country's legislature. It's a point that Democrats should make publicly, though I doubt it will change any minds. There's a whole lot of overlap in people who oppose DC statehood and people who think that when America does something different than the rest of the world it always or generally means the rest of the world is wrong.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2021, 11:48:03 PM »

It just makes sense for Manchin to vote for DC statehood. Democrats will be able to pass progressive legislation without him that way, so he can vote however he likes to keep his WV constituents pleased.

Hahaha, he’s not going to get away with this.
As if he even cares anymore. Hopefully he realizes his career is done and he may as well vote his conscience.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2021, 01:26:54 PM »

Statehood time, motherf**kers:

Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »

Statehood time, motherf**kers:

This is wishful thinking for the democrats.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2021, 06:16:29 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2021, 06:19:52 PM by Remember the Capitol »

It’s over DC statehood is done for. Same for PR statehood.
If anything I expect Democratic states to somehow lose representation as the cancer spreads into all three branches and they kill our democracy once and for all.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2021, 06:39:16 PM »

If anything I expect Democratic states to somehow lose representation as the cancer spreads into all three branches and they kill our democracy once and for all.

Will you shut up man?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2021, 06:41:44 PM »

Will you shut up man?
How many times do you have to be proven wrong before you realize we are screwed?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2021, 06:53:58 PM »

Will you shut up man?
How many times do you have to be proven wrong before you realize we are screwed?

Lol you’re one to talk about being wrong

I project Donald Trump will win the 2020 presidential election and will continue to be the 45th president of the United States.

Tag me if I’m wrong, because I won’t be.
There is no path for Biden, nor for America.

How many times do you have to be proven wrong to realize your ultra cynical worldview is wrong
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2021, 07:10:32 PM »

RIP DC statehood, 2020-2021
hyouzel the predictor
hyouzel
United States

P P
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2021, 10:24:27 AM »

state poggerS?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:38 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2021, 10:37:26 AM by Unbeatable Titan Luis Arce »

I’m gonna be mad if the actual name ends up being “Washington, Douglass Commonwealth”. There’s no state of Chicago, Illinois or “State of Boston, Commonwealth of Massachusetts”.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »

And do Puerto Rico too.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #162 on: January 27, 2021, 10:38:58 AM »

Unlike Puerto Rico, you can arguably do DC through reconciliation depending on how cute you want to get with the Senate rules.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #163 on: January 27, 2021, 10:40:32 AM »

Unlike Puerto Rico, you can arguably do DC through reconciliation depending on how cute you want to get with the Senate rules.

What is actually required to make both states?

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

(Apologies if I'm showing my stupidity.)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: January 27, 2021, 10:42:36 AM »

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

The Puerto Rico government which is currently anti-statehood has to draft a constitution and everything.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

The Puerto Rico government which is currently anti-statehood has to draft a constitution and everything.

The Puerto Rico government is pro-statehood. Or at least the governor is.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2021, 10:43:37 AM »

I was under the impression that if voters in the district/territory voted in favor of statehood, and if a simple majority in the House and Senate agreed, that was all it took.  What else has to happen?

That too Tongue

The Puerto Rico government is pro-statehood.

IIRC, its legislature is anti-statehood
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #167 on: January 27, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »

That too Tongue

Sooo probably not gonna happen.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »

I've thought about it, and it's actually not so much the small states that are the problem for Senate Democrats. Yes, Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas are all solidly Republican. But Democrats are dominant in small states like Vermont, Delaware, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

The real problem for them is that they keep falling short in Florida and North Carolina, and have largely lost the ability to compete in medium-sized states like Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. If Bill Nelson had reached out to Hispanics or Cal Cunningham hadn't had his affair, there would be a lot fewer calls for DC statehood.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »

Puerto Rico already has a constitution that is largely (almost entirely) based on the U.S. Constitution.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2021, 10:54:24 AM »

I've thought about it, and it's actually not so much the small states that are the problem for Senate Democrats. Yes, Wyoming, Idaho and the Dakotas are all solidly Republican. But Democrats are dominant in small states like Vermont, Delaware, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

The real problem for them is that they keep falling short in Florida and North Carolina, and have largely lost the ability to compete in medium-sized states like Indiana, Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana. If Bill Nelson had reached out to Hispanics or Cal Cunningham hadn't had his affair, there would be a lot fewer calls for DC statehood.

Wrong. Like, unbelievably wrong. All Americans should be represented in Congress, period, and anything short of that is the same thing as Jim Crow.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »

We get it, Republicans love to project their own slimy and undemocratic impulses onto Democrats.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2021, 11:01:14 AM »

state poggerS?

I find it quite interesting that it's Thomas Carper, a more conservative Democrat of the caucus. Maybe it's to try to portray better optics? If someone like Bernie introduced it it might be seen as more of a power grab. IDK.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2021, 11:05:50 AM »

Please. Get it done. Please. Schumer should be talking to Sinema and Manchin. Are you in or not?

Get it out of the way.

Give Bowser Governor powers with immediate effect.
Statehood official July 4th. Senators take office at that time.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2021, 11:13:33 AM »

Please. Get it done. Please. Schumer should be talking to Sinema and Manchin. Are you in or not?

Get it out of the way.

Give Bowser Governor powers with immediate effect.
Statehood official July 4th. Senators take office at that time.

No need to wait that long. They could realistically have elections for House and Senate by March and seat them immediately upon certification.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies