Mayor of Miami: Bomb Cuba
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:21:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mayor of Miami: Bomb Cuba
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mayor of Miami: Bomb Cuba  (Read 1499 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2021, 11:11:55 PM »

Many Miami-Dade Cubans really seem truly deranged when it comes to how much they resent their home country.

My ancestors came from the Russian Empire, fleeing because of the pogroms, yet I cannot imagine devoting so much of my mental energy to obsessing over Russia in a manner equivalent to this.

Single-issue anti-old-country politics really does seem like a unique, characteristic feature of right-wing Latin American diaspora communities in the US. I've been trying to think of comparable examples elsewhere on and off for years and few if any have ever come to mind.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2021, 11:34:30 PM »

Many Miami-Dade Cubans really seem truly deranged when it comes to how much they resent their home country.

My ancestors came from the Russian Empire, fleeing because of the pogroms, yet I cannot imagine devoting so much of my mental energy to obsessing over Russia in a manner equivalent to this.

Single-issue anti-old-country politics really does seem like a unique, characteristic feature of right-wing Latin American diaspora communities in the US. I've been trying to think of comparable examples elsewhere on and off for years and few if any have ever come to mind.

Reagan's tough talk against the Evil Empire did win him support among certain diaspora communities. The Vietnamese and Iranian diasporas are also sensitive to old-country issues. But, none of them are single-issue voters nearly to the extent of Cubans in Miami.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2021, 11:43:21 PM »

Yeah no thanks, if we see a good opportunity for a CIA coup I am all down.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2021, 11:48:32 PM »

Its not like Cuba is only a few hundred miles away from Florida while Russia is Thousands of Miles away from the East Coast of the US
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2021, 05:12:57 AM »

Its not like Cuba is only a few hundred miles away from Florida while Russia is Thousands of Miles away from the East Coast of the US

Only 55 miles from Alaska though. Technically they were the nearest Communist country to us pre-1991.

Also, LOL @ Progressive Pessimist's original comment.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2021, 05:20:54 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 05:26:53 AM by Laki »

If the standard for military action is simple an autocratic government, you need to declare war on two thirds of the world. Not the smartest idea I kinda guess.

I highly agree with you.

The people advocating for war have never been in a war, and have no idea what "war means". It probably also would stop the protests as a majority of the Cubans will realize that the bigger threat is the USA instead of their own government. On top of that, they'll be targeted by the US invasion / military conflict as well.

Secondly, if the US goes to war with Cuba, we all know that the US lose all kind of legimacy in any other conflict as no-one will trust them anymore, and it would probably mean that countries like North-Korea and Iran feel very threatened by the US, and block all diplomatic channels which gives them a free pass to do things we just don't want them to do. It would also mean that US-Russian and US-China relations will become more tense. It is also hurtful for US-Latin American relations and for US-European relations, as this conflict is not in their interest, and as anti-US sentiment - which is already high - in Latin America will surely increase, probably giving leverage to those nations supporting Cuba. We all know that Venezuelans do not support their government, but they see the US as a bigger threat than Maduro.

Biden might lock the Cuban-American vote in Florida, but i'm quite sure the backlash of far-left voters in the US will be enough that at the end the Republicans still would win Florida while also making losses in other critical states, which would possibly give someone like Trump (and especially someone unlike Trump) a good chance to win the presidency. It would also mean that a lot of Democrats (especially if the Democratic administration goes to war), probably would leave the party.

I can't see Bernie Sanders, AOC and about any other to be part of the Democratic Party anymore, if the Biden administration goes to war with Cuba.

A war with Cuba will be more damaging than everything Trump did through his entire presidency combined, and would make Biden easily a worser president than Trump, while losing more legitimacy than Trump did throughout his reign. Easily!

A lot of Democrats criticize Dubya for going to war with Iraq for alleged mass-destruction weapons. If Biden goes to war with Cuba because he would be able to lock down Florida (assumingly), it would make Bush look good in that regard. And I can't understand that the Democrats or Democratic posters who agree with this suggestion can be taken seriously if they criticize Bush's administration decisions or see hem as one of the worst presidents because of the Iraq disaster.

They're just opportunists, and plain evil. People like these still have the racist colonialist mentality, and that's what the Democrats are just not supposed to be.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2021, 05:52:14 AM »

Is Atlas ever going to find the happy medium

No
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2021, 06:29:22 AM »

Castro was worse than Batista.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 06:31:02 AM »

This would be an absolutely terrible idea. It wouldn't even help Biden win, because for every Cuban voter he sways to his side, he'd lose two or three non-Cubans. I'd still vote for him, but I'd fully expect him to lose in 2024.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2021, 07:37:05 AM by Red Velvet »

This is the type of hate I don’t get. Even if you dislike Cuba regime, what did they ever do to attack another nation to validate bombs being thrown at them? If communism is such a self-destroying ideology, wouldn’t it eventually collapse by itself?

Feels like desperate late-year decadence of empire type of action to assert dominance and control. Even during the Cold War Cuba wasn’t bombed, although there were several invasion and interference attempts. And Cuba used to be way more authoritarian back then! But now that they’re gradually more open, US is seeing this a weakness and opportunity to try more incisive action.

That’s why some of the left ends up justifying authoritarian measures, for stability. Even if that’s the wrong way to respond imo. Closed regimes isolate from the world and that’s exactly the goal from the west in regards these countries. You give the narrative back to them.

Although it would be fun to see the Latin American right completely lose any moral narrative they have if US starts treating Latin America like the Middle East. If the left managed to gain and establish some strength using political foreign interferences as a narrative, imagine if bombs start being thrown and a war is started in the region.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2021, 07:47:33 AM »

This is the type of hate I don’t get. Even if you dislike Cuba regime, what did they ever do to attack another nation to validate bombs being thrown at them? If communism is such a self-destroying ideology, wouldn’t it eventually collapse by itself?

Feels like desperate late-year decadence of empire type of action to assert dominance and control. Even during the Cold War Cuba wasn’t bombed, although there were several invasion and interference attempts. And Cuba used to be way more authoritarian back then! But now that they’re gradually more open, US is seeing this a weakness and opportunity to try more incisive action.

That’s why some of the left ends up justifying authoritarian measures, for stability. Even if that’s the wrong way to respond imo. Closed regimes isolate from the world and that’s exactly the goal from the west in regards these countries. You give the narrative back to them.

Although it would be fun to see the Latin American right completely lose any moral narrative they have if US starts treating Latin America like the Middle East. If the left managed to gain and establish some strength using political foreign interferences as a narrative, imagine if bombs start being thrown and a war is started in the region.

Wasn't there a time when we did treat Latin America like MENA? The up front costs I don't think would be the problem with routinely invading and conquering Latin American country. The US has been doing this in practice for 100 years and in theory since the Monroe Doctrine. The problem is whether we really want to risk a situation that could make the drug war look simple. Worst reasonable case scenario is that we eventually have dozens of brigades throughout the Neotropical world in a time when China and Russia are becoming increasingly aggressive and eventually reach a time where  groups like FARC can only be actively suppressed with a direct military occupation.

The more you think about it, the dumber this sounds.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2021, 07:55:13 AM »

This guy is a Republican before anyone starts both sidesing.

Although he is anti Desantis and Trump.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2021, 08:26:13 AM »

Ohhh it’s not just Cubans, it’s a huge chunk of Latin Americans in general who immigrate to Miami/Florida in general. They don’t even need to have authoritarian regimes at home to express such hate about their home nation, don’t worry about that. They do it regardless because they want to validate their fragile egos and convince others they have a higher status or something by putting their old countries behind to become “US Americans”. It’s a way to publicly ensure they’re American citizens by joining the narcissistic condescension towards countries that aren’t considered as rich.

These are very specific type of immigrants who aren’t exactly representative of their countries as a whole. It’s the crop of the Latin American right and far-right who usually goes to live there and they can often be more right-wing than average Republicans in lots of ways, believe it.

Look at how no other US state with large Latino population has the same reputation as Florida and Miami more specifically. That’s because those are usually a very specific group, with more established power from the moment they enter the US.

That’s naturally a generalization though. Obviously not EVERY person from Latino background in Florida is like that. But they tend to be way more representative and have more power there than in other places.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2021, 09:36:33 AM »

Right-wing Latin American diaspora communities in Latin America? Cubans in Chile voted for rechazo last year, IIRC.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2021, 09:21:48 PM »

Ted Cruz appears to be planning his next winter vacation:
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2021, 09:23:31 PM »

Gusanos gonna gusano.

Cuba didn't send their best.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2021, 09:28:29 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2021, 10:44:15 PM by GP270watch »

The American media is completely myopic. There have been millions(not hyperbole) of Haitian citizens taking to the streets of Port-au-Prince since 2018 and it has got a scant mention in the American media. Yet this Cuba protest story is being treated like a major story.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2021, 10:41:26 PM »

Shouldn't he stick to trying to get more cryptocurrency scam artists and Latin American expat money launderers to move there? (And hopefully buy a condo in a building that *doesn't* collapse.)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2021, 12:34:32 AM »

The American media is completely myopic. There have been millions(not hyperbole) of Haitian citizens taking to the streets of Port-au-Prince since 2018 and it has got a scant mention in the American media. Yet this Cuba protest story is being treated like a major story.

Because Haiti has already been completely decimated by centuries of exploitative capitalism. CNN's sponsors have nothing to gain from their struggle. Cuba is a wonderful untapped market for Proctor and Gamble and Blackrock.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2021, 01:02:04 AM »

hell yeah!!! finally do what JFK should have done all those years ago
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2021, 01:12:15 AM »

It's really not difficult. The Cuban government is evil but we should absolutely not bomb them, that's deranged.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2021, 01:20:40 AM »

Because Haiti has already been completely decimated by centuries of exploitative capitalism. CNN's sponsors have nothing to gain from their struggle. Cuba is a wonderful untapped market for Proctor and Gamble and Blackrock.

Both are due for liberation. Expanding into the Caribbean is the next logical step after the annexation of Canada.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2021, 01:24:49 AM »

Both are due for liberation. Expanding into the Caribbean is the next logical step after the annexation of Canada.

*Liberation of Canada
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2021, 01:41:24 AM »

Regardless of whether it's the right thing to do, it won't be enough for Biden in Florida. Biden could win the Cuban vote and make Clinton look like a total loser in the region and the rest of the state will somehow swing right because something something taxes. FL Dems have a hard ceiling of 49.75%.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies